Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I've only seen one place where the grades with points have been posted so not sure how accurate it is.

Krv1vG7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

I'm not too sure how the new grading system will work but I don't like it, as much as the idea of broadening the gradings (A,B,C,etc to H1, H2) to encourage students to enter higher level seems attractive it'll also cause there to be people entering higher level to just gain that advantage regardless of work they put in. It could turn into a strategy that'll serve to lower competition between students and inadvertently cause a laziness crises.
    Thats just my first impression though.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/new-leaving-cert-grading-system-for-students-sitting-2017-exam-31181823.html

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Will we still be receiving a bonus for HL maths though?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Oisin4 wrote: »
    Will we still be receiving a bonus for HL maths though?!?

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently they want to start awarding bonus points for LC subjects that will be relevant to your course...for example bonus points in physics for those going on to study physics in college.

Of course, that brings with it a ton of problems so I don't know how likely it is to happen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

I have to choose between my only language(french) and history.
    I was thinking of studying out of the country in England/ Scotland where you don't need a foreign language for entry.
    I don't know what I want to do after school.
    Would love to do them both but that is not an option.

Can anyone tell me pros/cons , I am very undecided!
    Any help is appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

meganob wrote: »
    I have to choose between my only language(french) and history.
    I was thinking of studying out of the country in England/ Scotland where you don't need a foreign language for entry.
    I don't know what I want to do after school.
    Would love to do them both but that is not an option.

Can anyone tell me pros/cons , I am very undecided!
    Any help is appreciated!

What do you want to study in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

You don't need a language for every course. The courses I'm looking at don't require a language in any college.

ElmW13 wrote: »
    What do you want to study in college?

I'm not sure. I've ruled out being a teacher,doctor and a nurse.
    On the open days,I took an interest in the science and engineering courses and also the history and politics, on work experience I loved watching the surgeries :') I know history isn't a requirement for anything but I'm thinking points wise and enjoyment.

VG31 wrote: »
    You don't need a language for every course. The courses I'm looking at don't require a language in any college.

What courses are you thinking of doing

I'm not sure. I've ruled out being a teacher,doctor and a nurse.
    On the open days,I took an interest in the science and engineering courses and also the history and politics, on work experience I loved watching the surgeries :') I know history isn't a requirement for anything but I'm thinking points wise and enjoyment.

What other subjects are you keeping on?

• Advertisement

What other subjects are you keeping on?
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Accounting

Chemistry
    Biology
    Accounting

I would really be inclined keeping on your language- not just for entry requirements etc. but also because a foreign language is useful to have.

Do you have any idea what sort of career you would like to get out of a History and Politics course?

I would really be inclined keeping on your language- not just for entry requirements etc. but also because a foreign language is useful to have.

Do you have any idea what sort of career you would like to get out of a History and Politics course?

Yeah I think you're right, I could even do a history/politics course without having done history I was just going points wise.
    I'm not sure about history, I wouldn't like to be a history teacher, when on our school trip to Germany a history student was our tour guide for Dachau,so that'd be fun but only for summers. Everyone thinks I'm mad but I was thinking about being a politician.
    I don't want my careers guidance to get mad at me anyway! She always said to keep a language. I think every career guidance said that, so it must be important. I know someone who thought they didn't need a language then changed what they wanted to do so had to study a language separately before just to get into the course.

Thanks for all your help! I think I'm sorted!:)

Any TY competitions lately?

Yeah I think you're right, I could even do a history/politics course without having done history I was just going points wise.
    I'm not sure about history, I wouldn't like to be a history teacher, when on our school trip to Germany a history student was our tour guide for Dachau,so that'd be fun but only for summers. Everyone thinks I'm mad but I was thinking about being a politician.
    I don't want my careers guidance to get mad at me anyway! She always said to keep a language. I think every career guidance said that, so it must be important. I know someone who thought they didn't need a language then changed what they wanted to do so had to study a language separately before just to get into the course.

Thanks for all your help! I think I'm sorted!:)

Any TY competitions lately?

I think the mini company national finals are tomorrow in Naas. I wasn't involved, tried young scientist didn't get accepted. I'm sure there's a group from my school travelling up. They have a wine holder thingy that's at 45 degrees and allows the bottle to be held vertically from the neck.

There's also the concern debating final next week... Not sure if the teams are ty but sure... That's all I can really think of

I think the mini company national finals are tomorrow in Naas. I wasn't involved, tried young scientist didn't get accepted. I'm sure there's a group from my school travelling up. They have a wine holder thingy that's at 45 degrees and allows the bottle to be held vertically from the neck.

There's also the concern debating final next week... Not sure if the teams are ty but sure... That's all I can really think of

What science project did you propose?

What science project did you propose?

Something about are household substances more efficient at keeping cut flowers fresh than the satchel that comes with them... Came up with a different project for scifest and then pulled out to go to the ucc open day. Turns out a similar enough project won - karma... The one I had planned was something like the spastically analysis of number one music hits and then the maths of music won...

Something about are household substances more efficient at keeping cut flowers fresh than the satchel that comes with them... Came up with a different project for scifest and then pulled out to go to the ucc open day. Turns out a similar enough project won - karma... The one I had planned was something like the spastically analysis of number one music hits and then the maths of music won...

Typical :rolleyes: was the ucc open day good?

Had our TY reflections today...:rolleyes: no room to suggest any improvements on TY.

Had our TY reflections today...:rolleyes: no room to suggest any improvements on TY.

We need a lot of improvement in our TY programme! It was only when we had a French exchange student that you realise TY must seem like an odd idea to other countries.

Typical √√ That's a good idea, and were they more efficient?

It was okay, our school organised it really badly. It's an hour an hour and a quarter to get to ucc from our school. So firstly one of the bus was late so we didn't leave until quarter to ten when we were meant to leave at nine. They also decided to go shopping beforehand and no one knew bout that so by the time everyone got in cos more had gone into the city to collect clothes for the fashion it was one o clock and they wanted to be back in time for the buses - 3:20.

We were meant to have a talk then but they said that would have taken too much time so we had spent quarter of an hour sitting there doing nothing. Then we had to walk down to western gateway building and there were stalls they're and all that. Me and my friend got separated from the group so we ended up walking to the main gates cos that's where we were told to meet only to be told the bus was at western building... All in all, a kind of boring day...

Our ty, we'd suggest getting a new coordinator. No offence to her and all but she's in her sixties and I suppose wouldn't have the greatest idea of what us teenagers would like... As well as that, she's busy enough she's year head, lca coordinator, chairperson of the bom of the primary, on the board of a local show and involved in a few charities, be nice to have someone who really wants to get involved and all

Rant over XD

• Advertisement

Typical √√ That's a good idea, and were they more efficient?

Didn't end up doing it in the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

TY is starting to reduce my brain to cotton wool with boredom right about now, not that it bothers me or anything...still good enough craic with the lads. Out of 9 classes today, 6 of them were free (by free, I mean either in the computer room doing nothing, in a normal classroom doing nothing, playing cards, cleaning dirty science labs like peasants etc. etc.)

I keep saying to myself every morning "It'll pick up soon" but it doesn't ever seem to.

But there are plans in motion to go out with a bang. We have a TY ball this Friday, and we're going on a camping/outdoorsy trip to a pretty remote spot for half of next week. After that we spend the last week throwing together a few bits and pieces for the graduation evening on the 22nd May and then I. AM. OUTTA THERE!

Still, I don't have the slightest regrets about TY, and even though there were weeks here and there that would drive me soft with inactivity...the entertaining weeks packed with stuff to do make up for that.

But yet I am still glad that it will soon be over. :confused:

WHAT DO YOU EVEN CALL THIS FEELING? :pac:

TY is starting to reduce my brain to cotton wool with boredom right about now, not that it bothers me or anything...still good enough craic with the lads. Out of 9 classes today, 6 of them were free (by free, I mean either in the computer room doing nothing, in a normal classroom doing nothing, playing cards, cleaning dirty science labs like peasants etc. etc.)

I keep saying to myself every morning "It'll pick up soon" but it doesn't ever seem to.

But there are plans in motion to go out with a bang. We have a TY ball this Friday, and we're going on a camping/outdoorsy trip to a pretty remote spot for half of next week. After that we spend the last week throwing together a few bits and pieces for the graduation evening on the 22nd May and then I. AM. OUTTA THERE!

Still, I don't have the slightest regrets about TY, and even though there were weeks here and there that would drive me soft with inactivity...the entertaining weeks packed with stuff to do make up for that.

But yet I am still glad that it will soon be over. :confused:

WHAT DO YOU EVEN CALL THIS FEELING? :pac:

Any chance the place you're going is cappanaleigh? We're going there the week after next

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Any chance the place you're going is cappanaleigh? We're going there the week after next

Even more remote...north west Mayo :D

Even more remote...north west Mayo :D

Hopefully the weather won't be too bad. My moms freaking out something will happen me below, I have hip problems, cos she's heard all these stories of steep hilly cliff thingys and the camping and what not...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Just poppin in to say I got work experience again for next week, at a cafe so I'll be workin there :D

Last proper day of ty today :'( the graduation was good, performed bohemian rhapsody and presented the cheques from fashion - we raised €4500 sad in one sense but it'll be nice to hit the books again. Off to cappanalea now next week, the craic will be good enough

Not much plans for the summer, probably working... You guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Last proper day of ty today :'( the graduation was good, performed bohemian rhapsody and presented the cheques from fashion - we raised €4500 sad in one sense but it'll be nice to hit the books again. Off to cappanalea now next week, the craic will be good enough

Not much plans for the summer, probably working... You guys?[/quote

Feeling the same tbh! Feel way more ready to get back to work after TY delighted I decided to do it in the end

Not much plans for the summer, probably working... You guys?

We graduate on Monday and then have classe for the rest of week (like how can we even say we have graduated if we still have class?! :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I and a couple of others are volunteering in Lourdes the week after and the rest of the year are going camping in Tipperary. After that, we are on holidays! :D

All in all, I am glad I did TY. Yes there were (more than a few) bad weeks but overall the positive outweighed the negative and I feel having done TY I am more prepared for all the work of Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

Last proper day of ty today.

I still have another two weeks left in TY!

Advertisement