Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Doesn't The Wall max at 35%?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

bazermc wrote: »
    Doesn't The Wall max at 35%?

Is that all. I'm in so :D

Seriously though I don't think it's that steep I'm guessing maybe 12-14% perhaps more at points

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Is that all. I'm in so :D

Seriously though I don't think it's that steep I'm guessing maybe 12-14% perhaps more at points

I am pretty sure parts are in the 30's%.

A success is completing it and only getting sick once.

30%+ jaysus I'd definitely be doing the walk og shame. I might give it a go next weekend. In the car of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Doc07

30%+ jaysus I'd definitely be doing the walk og shame. I might give it a go next weekend. In the car of course. :)

It doesn't go on for too long, it's not that bad. I did it today, albeit at a snails pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

That's me all signed up then!

Doc07 wrote: »
    It doesn't go on for too long, it's not that bad. I did it today, albeit at a snails pace.

Is it the section from 31.5km - 34km on the randonnée route?

Is it the section from 31.5km - 34km on the randonnée route?

Ah it's not that long. Less than a 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am pretty sure parts are in the 30's%.
    ISTR my Garmin topping out at about 22%. That's still very steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

The Wall is certainly doable, particularly on a triple. Hills are not my friend but some days I can do it (at a snail's pace as mentioned above) and sometimes I've to stop, depending on the day.

With this Randonee the "secret" is to stop (if you have to) before the bend near the top and remount in time to pose for the camera ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Great route, might need a 2nd cake stop, or a few buns at Manor Kilbride:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Ah it's not that long. Less than a 1k

I've never done it but can't imagine it been much worse than Kilmashouge

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I've never done it but can't imagine it been much worse than Kilmashouge

It's definitely easier than Kilmashogue..much shorter (although the max gradient is a probably a bit higher)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭g0g

Doing the "full wall" is tough enough, but it's only painfully steep in parts. The worst bit IMO is at the very bottom where I think the gradient hits low 20's and the surface is (or was last month anyway!) loose enough so there's risk of losing traction. This means you need to stay in the saddle! From the look of this route it's the "top half" of the wall that is done, and the surface on that is grand all the way. I'd be more worried about the volume of other Long Hills (see what I did there?), especially Lugalla which can go on forever!

Lumen wrote: »
    ISTR my Garmin topping out at about 22%. That's still very steep.

Actually I think you are right.

I am mixing it up with a section of road heading from Enniskerry towards Glencree past the entrace to the waterfall there is a bridge and then then a steep drag up and to the left, that part of the road is a gut wrenching 30%+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Just tried to print off my entry there but the page just show up an error

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I'm in ... Have to meet up ROK On, Lumen Tax Man and a few others ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

Just tried to print off my entry there but the page just show up an error

If you want to PM your name, I can check the entrants to ensure that you've entered correctly.

Just checking the numbers and we're ahead on the number of entrants compared to last year so thank you for that! Remember that we are limiting numbers to 300 so if you are interested, please go ahead and enter as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

A friend and I have signed up.

I did it two years ago, When I turned right onto the wall, I looked up the road, and cried.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »

I did it two years ago, When I turned right onto the wall, I looked up the road, and cried.

We might put that quote on the poster for next year!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

In. Rode this with monkeyslayer two years ago, tore the legs off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

On steep hills it pays to look at the % reading on the Garmin rather than the speed - it's normally higher! Did a reccy of this year's route today and for the record, these are the max % on some of the climbs.
    The Wall - 19%
    Lugala - 17%
    The Long Hill - 15%
    Wicklow Gap - 13%
    Most of these readings only lasted for a few seconds but there were longer sections nearby only a few % less.
    As someone else pointed out, it's the accumulative effect that causes the damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fergalos

How are the numbers going, are there still spaces available

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

fergalos wrote: »

Last I heard there was less than a hundred, so we expect to fill up in the next two weeks. My advice would be to book your spot as soon as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Eamonnator wrote: »

Then when you get to the top (if your still alive) you look up the road and see another wall of tarmac

fergalos wrote: »

We've contacted last years entrants this morning and as a result, we've had a large uptake in the last few hours. Looks like we should be full by the end of the week if not earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ghosty669 - I registered very early on for this but have since discovered that I'm expected to attend a First Holy Communion that day. Is it possible to transfer my entry to someone else if it sells out?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I'm in. Going to tackle the Tour of Wicklow the previous Sunday and planning to have a go at both the Mick Byrne and the Wicklow 200 on consecutive week-ends in June.

All good prep for the Marmotte I hope, but I suspect I just might be in the market for a set of golf clubs by the second week of July!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Red Belly wrote: »
    I'm in. Going to tackle the Tour of Wicklow the previous Sunday and planning to have a go at both the Mick Byrne and the Wicklow 200 on consecutive week-ends in June.

All good prep for the Marmotte I hope, but I suspect I just might be in the market for a set of golf clubs by the second week of July!

:eek:

You mean Saturday

Advertisement