Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV to raise prices

Options
  • 19-03-2015 4:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/sky-to-increase-pay-tv-prices/5085407.article

It appears Irish sky tv customers can expect 5-6 euros increase on their subscriptions

I just have the basic original HD bundle, 'sky sports 1' only package and the setanta pack

I think more sky tv customers for football will just take the 'sky sports 1' only package as european rugby is half covered by BT Sport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Robbing b**ta*ds:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

An increase of that much would be a deal breaker for lots of people. The ridiculous amount they payed for the Premier League will do damage for a few years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It was coming the minute they upped the premier league rights bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd say a €5-6 increase will lose a lot less customers than having no PL would.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,877 ✭✭✭✭muffler

From the story carried here it clearly states that its UK customers who will face a price hike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Irish Sky customers already had a price increase in January or February of this year so I'd be gobsmacked if they tried for another till 2016 at the earliest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

muffler wrote: »
    From the story carried here it clearly states that its UK customers who will face a price hike.

I predict it will spread to Irish sky tv customers around September 2015

Is Ireland a special case from the UK? No

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well, its easy to hit them where it hurts. Leave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a 5/6 euro increase would have people leaving alright. That represents a 3 year increase in one go. You'd think Sky would learn, their sales people have rang us more than ever over past month trying to take half price sports and movies, they once rang 3 times in one day! I told them their half price offer is still way too expensive and that my Netflix subscription is far, far cheaper and he just hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres no hope that Sky will put the prices up for the rest of 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

mikeym wrote: »

Get an android box ????????

mikeym wrote: »

You will be wrong as someone I know that works for sky in Dublin told me in September 2015, sky subs are going up by €2-€3 and then 6 months later by another €2

That is why sky call centre reps have got some subscribers on sky sports/movies half price deals such as for 8 months at the start of 2015
    Most of the sports/movies subscribers keep the packages on after the 8 months and they don't check prices they are paying

Sky rep friend also told me the sky multi-room customers should get a freesat+ receiver with saorview instead of getting sky for a second room as this would save sky subscribers money in the long term
    Sky multi-room is the biggest rip off ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

If you are still on sky and on the fence about leaving to go with the likes of a freesat box... DO IT!

I was a long term sky subscriber and last year i cancelled when the price went up again. I missed the discovery channels and a few others for about a month but i got over it and would never go back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Access wrote: »
    If you are still on sky and on the fence about leaving to go with the likes of a freesat box... DO IT!

I was a long term sky subscriber and last year i cancelled when the price went up again. I missed the discovery channels and a few others for about a month but i got over it and would never go back now.

Exact same here, when the price increase went up I decided to get out. Stumped up the €230 for a humax box, at this stage it's nearly paid for from the sky subs I'm not paying now.

If your into your sports it's probably a hard call but for anything else go for it. Your TV quality viewing will improve, it amazing the great UK shows you miss with sky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Irish customers wont see an increase in 2015

Irish customers wont see an increase in 2015

you are wrong

Sky subs will increase in 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

ftakeith wrote: »
    you are wrong

Not in June, though - My Sky showing the usual subscription charges for May, June and July with no change under the "Upcoming subscription costs" section.

you are wrong

How do you know this and have you proof or is that just a guess?

Kensington wrote: »
    Not in June, though - My Sky showing the usual subscription charges for May, June and July with no change under the "Upcoming subscription costs" section.

September 2015 they will increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

I'd say you're close. I think they'll announce a rise in August. Just after people have resubscribed for the new football season.

• Advertisement

Repeat question: How do you know this and have you proof or is that just a guess?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You can say it as many times as you like they won't.

Sky will not do a double increase in a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Its a rip off as it is.
    Are sky+ box packed in, and we had no choice but to get a sky+HD box to replace it. At a cost of €15 Extra P/M.
    Robbing B*s*a*rds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

No champions league football next season but they're going to up the price? My sub is up in September so it looks like I'll be streaming then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

The last price increase did it for me and I got a vu+ box, I've said to people before the fee sky have paid for the football is going to be detrimental to sky.
    I was a sky subscriber on the full package for over a decade before I got fed up paying so much, the loss of the champions league and coupled with the price hike pushed me into the sat box route, how many more people will follow if they hike prices any further?
    Coupled with the worst customer care in the business it'll be a cold day in hell before I go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

You can say it as many times as you like they won't.

Sky will not do a double increase in a year

They've never paid £5 billion for football rights before.

True, but price increase still isn't going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It's only a matter of time before sky up there prices again, 5 billion football bill will only be the excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I hope you are right, but Sky are sure to increase prices in the medium term, say 12 months, and I think it will be substantial. The Euro is in the doldrums and this coupled with recouping more than £1bn a year is sure to exercise the minds of Sky's financial minions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Its a rip off as it is.
    Are sky+ box packed in, and we had no choice but to get a sky+HD box to replace it. At a cost of €15 Extra P/M.
    Robbing B*s*a*rds

:confused::confused:

You don't have to pay the €15 extra p/m for HD channels if you don't want.

Advertisement