Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2015 General Chat

Options
  • 13-02-2015 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

All the pre tournament talk is done

NZ v SL up first
    then
    Aus v Eng
    then
    Ind v Pak

Some classic encounters coming up on the first couple of days.....at least on paper!!

Ireland could cause a few upsets but I am sticking with the top 8 Test teams for the QF's

I am going to remain loyal to India despite its horrible form.....they'll make the quarters but nothing further than that I am afraid:(

If India fall by the wayside will be rooting for NZ - they have been bridesmaids for too long and its probably their time!

Heart says India
    Mind says Australia v SA final with Australia to win it

Cant wait for it to start.....

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Have we not just spent the last few months watching NZ v Sri Lanka and Australia v England? :mad:

However really looking forward to India v Pakistan as its a fresh match up and always fun.

I'd back India in that match, much more quality in the side, only Irfan and possibly Shezhad would get into the Indian team.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Would it be an idea to keep this as a general chat thread and have another thread each day for the matches on that day? Has worked well in previous WC's and the Ireland match day threads can be fun to look back on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

KevIRL wrote: »
    Would it be an idea to keep this as a general chat thread and have another thread each day for the matches on that day? Has worked well in previous WC's and the Ireland match day threads can be fun to look back on

This is a good idea - I'll set up the thread for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

UTV showing highlights of every Ireland game is great news too.

Is it the first time Ireland will be shown on terrestrial TV? I think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

UTV showing highlights of every Ireland game is great news too.

Is it the first time Ireland will be shown on terrestrial TV? I think it is

I seem to remember some match being on BBC NI a couple of years ago, but that might be my imagination!

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote: »
    I seem to remember some match being on BBC NI a couple of years ago, but that might be my imagination!

BBC have shown highlights of world cups over the years. They definitely done the last few ODI world cups, not as sure about the t20 world cups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Old Moore is tipping India to win out? Should I place a bet?

feargale wrote: »
    Old Moore is tipping India to win out? Should I place a bet?

:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

No need for this thread any more - please use the daily threads.

On mature reflection, it was a mistake to close this, it makes sense to have a general thread too - apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think its a shame this tournament (and increasingly one day cricket generally) has been so geared toward the batsmen. I understand people want to see fours and sixes but I'd also like to see bowlers have a decent chance of taking a wicket. I know generally its always been a batsmen's version of the game, but its getting to the point where you may as well just have bowling machines at one end and watch batsmen blast it out the park.

Not my idea of cricket, even the 1 day variety, but I appreciate I'm probably in the minority here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

A bit of rain forecast for Napier on Sat and Sunday ... Are we about to get some luck ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

PVincent wrote: »
    A bit of rain forecast for Napier on Sat and Sunday ... Are we about to get some luck ?

The more the better, even for the WI v UAE match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the game is a day too early unfortunately, 2 inches of rain due on Monday

http://www.accuweather.com/en/nz/napier/248572/daily-weather-forecast/248572?day=5

Brendan Taylor to retire for Zimbabwe to play as a kolpak for Notts.

Ends his international career for 3 years at least, if not for good. Massive blow for them. If Williams follows too I honestly can see their test status under serious threat

Ends his international career for 3 years at least, if not for good. Massive blow for them. If Williams follows too I honestly can see their test status under serious threat

Its understandable to be fair, better standard of living for he and his family really. I always liked watching him so as Notts are always on the telly will see him a bit more anyway. Hugely impressed with his comments after the Mooney fiasco as well.

I think Ervine is another counties may take a gander at well along with Williams.

Its not crazy to think they could fall apart in the next few years, it may seem absurd now, but remember Kenya?:(

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its understandable to be fair, better standard of living for he and his family really. I always liked watching him so as Notts are always on the telly will see him a bit more anyway. Hugely impressed with his comments after the Mooney fiasco as well.

I think Ervine is another counties may take a gander at well along with Williams.

Its not crazy to think they could fall apart in the next few years, it may seem absurd now, but remember Kenya?:(

They could fall apart in a couple months tbh.

Ervine clearly has no long term aspirations with Zimbabwe, only came back for the World Cup. Hell he could return here yet. Thing is with Taylor gone they might pay Ervine enough to stay. Mire is another example, he plays in Australia and even in the big bash a couple times, he'll have other ambitions.

Williams has been brilliant in the world cup and I'd be surprised if he wasnt snapped up by a big county.

Worst case scenario all leave:

Batting becomes absolutely woeful

Masakadza is no good, Sibanda is hopeless. I mean look at the Ireland game, the only 2 proper decent bats they have are Taylor and Williams, without them they'd have lost by 150 runs, vs our bowling attack.

Bowling wise Chatara is good, Panyangara a bit slow and no spinners to speak of bar Kamungozi who isnt exactly Warne.

They've been teetering on the abyss for over a decade now, in the weeks after this world cup we could see them fall in and burn if I'm honest. 15 years of corruption, racism and ineptitude were going to take their toll eventually

I remember their was a few Zimbabwe lads over here a few years ago trying to qualify for Irish citizenship, whatever happened to them? Ervine would be good enough for Ireland now, but in a few years, dunno about that.

Ireland isn't exactly a financial hotpot for cricket, but without sounding to arrogant I like to think you have a better standard of living here to at least raise your kids. Zimbabwe cricket has been mental for a long time now sadly.

I do like Raza but he has been a massive flop so far, hopefully when this is over he steps up. Mire is meh tbh, but I like Chatara,definitely someone to get excited about, in a perfect world he and Jarvis would have opened the bowling in the world cup.:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's a shame this happens in Cricket. Remember Heath Streak, the Flowers, Murray Gooddwin, Olonga, Sean Ervine etc and the other rebels who, rightly, refused not to play for Zimbabwe again?

It's a messed up situation and, although the players above are all too old to make a comeback, I hope bridges can be built between Zimbabwe and other countries. Zimbabwe should have a good team!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's a real pity for Zimbabwe to lose him, one of their best players for so long. If the people in charge are either so stupid or so broke that they let him go I dont think their will be much hope for the future in Zim.

Like most things in cricket I'm going to lay a lot of the blame at the feet of the ICC, they should never have allowed Zim cricket to end up in such a bad state, funding should have been withdrawn a long time ago until they got their house in order and cleared out all the corruption, guys like Bvute should have been kicked out years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mani123

Who will win the world cup 2015?
    India
    Pakistan
    Srilanka
    Australia
    New Zealand
    South Africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Well Pakistan aren't gonna reach the knockouts, so I'm not sure why they're there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Am I right saying at the moment the QFs look like this:
    QF1
    Sri Lanka vs SA
    QF2
    Bangladesh vs India
    QF3
    Australia vs Pakistan/Ireland
    QF4
    NZ vs WI/Pakistan/Ireland

mani123 wrote: »
    India
    Pakistan
    Srilanka
    Australia
    New Zealand
    South Africa

Old Moore is predicting India.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

mani123 wrote: »
    India
    Pakistan
    Srilanka
    Australia
    New Zealand
    South Africa

Obviously, India :D

I'll be rooting for New Zealand now - always nice to see a new name on a trophy. South Africa would also fit that bill, but it's unlikely they will prevail, and Bangladesh are an unrealistiic aspiration.
    All credit to Ireland, going from strength to strength. I would have thought that what Ireland need most is to import a top class bowling coach.
    So, Ireland, Zimbabwe and others will compete for the last place place in the 2019 World Cup? Why not England also? Ireland achieved more than them in this WC. England have placed themselves on the same level as Zimbabwe, another test nation. Sport is supposed to be fair, and to obstruct the spread of a sport is the antithesis of sportsmanship. If the ICC persist in their present attitude maybe the associate nations should break away and form their own organisation. When FIFA shed some stubborn parties in the twenties in similar circumstances it ultimately ended in grief for those who owned the ball and thought they could do as they wished.
    Don't get me wrong. This is not an anti-English rant. Any nation that gave us Shakespeare, Cheddar cheese and cricket can't be all bad. My beef is with the powers that be in cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The next world cup is in England so as the hosts they are already in. A sport with only a dozen quality sides, I'm sure they would qualify anyway. They're not great but it's all relative. They still dished out two heavy defeats to two associates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cricket/cricket-world-cup-ireland-coach-phil-simmons-says-goodbye-31071574.html

Is this new or was it prior knowledge that I missed? Either way you have to wish him all the best

Been a wonderful servant for us, but I think its the right time to change things up.

So long Phil and thanks so much for the memories, wish you the best of luck!

• Advertisement

Apparently Andy Flower is in the mix.

Thoughts??

Advertisement