Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leprechauns

Options
  • 15-03-2015 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭

So. Why are these a thing? A German friend of mine asked me about them last week but I didn't know much. I cant say they featured in my childhood much at all but people majorly associate them with Ireland. Why is that? The faeries were far more important in Irish storytelling and legend I would have thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They trick you or take you away if your young is the traditional thing I've always heard.

Not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

fits wrote: »
    So. Why are these a thing? A German friend of mine asked me about them last week but I didn't know much. I cant say they featured in my childhood much at all but people majorly associate them with Ireland. Why is that? The faeries were far more important in Irish storytelling and legend I would have thought.

All the stereotypes you need for your foreign friends are answered in the film "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darby_O%27Gill_and_the_Little_PeopleI am sure it will be shown yet again on Paddy's Day.

Here is a taster of it's brilliance:

Begorrah....!

:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I mentioned Darby o gill alright but there has to be more to it than that !

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Always thought leprechauns were one of the fairy folk. Ours don't have wings after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Don't most European civilizations have imps/ trolls/ goblins in their mythological heritage?

Same in Ireland, we just call them leprechauns and tweak their dress, mode of speech, and traits to reflect our own circumstances and our own interests.

• Advertisement

conorh91 wrote: »
    Same in Ireland, we just call them leprechauns and tweak their dress, mode of speech, and traits to reflect our own circumstances and our own interests.

Do we though? Do they actually feature in Irish culture at all pre Darby o gill?

I would have thought they are more like gnomes than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kiss me I'm Irish.

Stroke me clover ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Do we though? Do they actually feature in Irish culture at all pre Darby o gill?
    Ah yeah. They are part of our mythology. Although perceptions of the centrality of leprechauns to Irish mythology probably have have been jacked up by Hollywood and the advent of television.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Perhaps because leprechauns are exclusively part of Irish folklore and do not appear in other countries stories? There is no other leprechaun countries!!!

When I was a kid in the 90s we had books about leprechauns, can't remember the name of the books but they were funny! In general, they were associated with repairing shoes more than anything else, but also causing mischief/pranks. Not to mention the pot of gold.

Traditionally they wore red waistcoasts (in the 1800s & older), not green which is a modern (& political addition). The modern appearance of leprechauns has little to do with the folklore itself, and seems to borrow stereo-types-of-the-day from Punch magazine.

Perhaps because leprechauns are exclusively part of Irish folklore and do not appear in other countries stories? There is no other leprechaun countries!!!
    what about the typical garden gnome then? they look exactly the same.
    When I was a kid in the 90s we had books about leprechauns, can't remember the name of the books but they were funny! In general, they were associated with repairing shoes more than anything else, but also causing mischief/pranks. Not to mention the pot of gold.

Traditionally they wore red waistcoasts (in the 1800s & older), not green which is a modern (& political addition). The modern appearance of leprechauns has little to do with the folklore itself, and seems to borrow stereo-types-of-the-day from Punch magazine.

Yeah the shoe making and the red waistcoats ring a bell for me too! We probably had the same childrens book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kneemos wrote: »
    They trick you or take you away if your young is the traditional thing I've always heard.

Not to be trusted.
    So... they're catholic priests? :pac:

=-=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprechaun
    quite a beau in his dress, notwithstanding, for he wears a red square-cut coat, richly laced with gold, and inexpressible of the same, cocked hat, shoes and buckles

From that wiki link.
    Leprechaun-like creatures rarely appear in Irish mythology and only became prominent in later folklore.

Modern depictions of leprechauns are largely based on derogatory 19th century caricatures and stereotypes of the Irish.[2]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

To be honest I have always been fonder on the Clurichaun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I remember some childhood story of a leprechaun and you could not move him if you tried to. He becomes heavier than a rock or something.

To be honest I have always been fonder on the Clurichaun.

Clurichaun?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

There's one living in the Phoenix park at the moment, recently a trainee naturalist wrongly identified it as a midget parasite.

The Th!ng wrote: »
    There's one living in the Phoenix park at the moment, recently a trainee naturalist wrongly identified it as a midget parasite.

Ha hilarious you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

There's a book called 'Summer with the Leprechauns' which is apparently a 'true' story of an American woman who met a leprechaun and told her how to save the world. It's some serious hippie crap but a scary number of people believe it! http://www.tanishelliwell.com/the-leprechauns-page/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Clurichaun?

The Leprechaun's alcoholic cousin who enjoys riding sheep and dogs at night. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clurichaun.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clurichaun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

conorh91 wrote: »
    Don't most European civilizations have imps/ trolls/ goblins in their mythological heritage?

Doesn't it put a nostalgic tear in your eye to remember the days when trolls, imps and goblins lived under bridges rather then all over the bloody internet.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Traditionally they wore red waistcoasts (in the 1800s & older), not green which is a modern (& political addition).

Given that it is a mythical creature, could I decide that they have blue coats with pink spots, and be perfectly within my rights to do so?

They were killed off, along with all other piseogary, by the Electricity Supply Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Was on a business trip to Boston a few years back and a pick up had been arranged from the airport by the company with a local provider. Anyhow, a lovely lady picked me up from the airport, asking loads of questions about Ireland etc. She then went quiet for a while and after a while asked me if she could ask an unusual question. I said fire away and then nearly choked when she asked me "what the story is with leprechauns?"!!
    I said what do you mean to which she asked, well whats with them....are they like, people who are mentally ill, or just really short people or how do they become leprechauns!
    To say I was gobsmacked would be such an understatement....she genuinely thought leprechauns were real and I had to explain that they are just a folk tale!! She looked gutted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Leprechauns are just an Irish gimmick. Every country has their own cultural variation of faeries but Ireland is the only one with leprechauns. Begosh and begorrah crap that appeals to tourists who will buy any old tat.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm a leprechaun. Fire away there with any questions. I'm not busy till tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Leprechauns are just an Irish gimmick. Every country has their own cultural variation of faeries but Ireland is the only one with leprechauns. Begosh and begorrah crap that appeals to tourists who will buy any old tat.:D

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are not planning to spend tomorrow settling down to watch Darby O Gill and the little people whilst drinking warm porter from a bottle and eating bacon and cabbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gavster1982

Anyone ever seen any of the Leprechaun horror films...classics

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Anyone ever seen any of the Leprechaun horror films...classics

I'm really struggling to find a reason why I have not watched these yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are not planning to spend tomorrow settling down to watch Darby O Gill and the little people whilst drinking warm porter from a bottle and eating bacon and cabbage?

You're right on all counts, although I might have a couple of Jameson nightcaps.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    There's a book called 'Summer with the Leprechauns' which is apparently a 'true' story of an American woman who met a leprechaun and told her how to save the world. It's some serious hippie crap but a scary number of people believe it! http://www.tanishelliwell.com/the-leprechauns-page/

Eh yeah, that's like a true story. It's people like you that have the world like it is, trying to keep the little man down, kept in the dark!

Advertisement