Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty blogger things you like / don' like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

anna080 wrote: »
    Lol I know and the big lengthy declaration of how she needed time for herself and all of this. Not saying she can't do that but to then be back posting non stop the next day is a bit mad! That was four days ago she said she needed a break and she has posted over 20 pics since then lol

Do you know what else that reminds me of? Bloggers declaring that they have a big announcement on the way or exciting news about a new venture that they can't reveal just yet. Wrecks my head. It causes the whole chain reaction then of "OMG, please tell us now. Dying to hear" or "Can't cope with the excitement. Please tell us what the big news is"! So attention seeking. Why not just wait until whatever venture is signed and sealed and then announce it? That's so annoying as is the "oh, we're on tender hooks here waiting" attitude of the followers. And then more annoying than all of that, the big hush hush venture ends up being something awesomely disappointing like the blogger securing a column in a rubbish newspaper! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just came across this youtube vlog. This to me is an example of the perfect beauty blog. Short, simple, with plenty of swatches!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm curious why you still follow her if you don't like her so much? And yes I agree the suspense building is a pain usually followed by a disappointing reveal at the end! (I suspect this is eyelashes she is about to announce) :)

I think she was referring to bloggers in general, not just so sue me in particular.

• Advertisement

I think she was referring to bloggers in general, not just so sue me in particular.

I was referring to bloggers in general doing that. I used an example then of a deflated outcome following on from all the hype!

panda100 wrote: »
    Just came across this youtube vlog. This to me is an example of the perfect beauty blog. Short, simple, with plenty of swatches!

What blog is that from? It's actually quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Beaut .ie is actually a joke, first four posts are all celeb, so disappointing that it's gone this way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I used to enjoy some of the blogs mentioned above for fashion and make up tips however since they turned into "look at my amazing life" type ones of photos of weekends away with boyfriends and nights out I unfollow! I'm sure I sound like a bitter woman! Enjoying the beautiful truth these days and ystyle for affordable fashion looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Or last week's MAC lipstick dupe post.

Press photos and no swatches..... :(

• Advertisement

Has anybody been to the fashion workshops/days out that these well known bloggers do? Would love to hear are they any good? Tempted to go to Pippas one!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

Lol I know and the big lengthy declaration of how she needed time for herself and all of this. Not saying she can't do that but to then be back posting non stop the next day is a bit mad! That was four days ago she said she needed a break and she has posted over 20 pics since then lol

I was just thinking that today when i went on instagram, i dont mind the make up fairy like i think some of her posts are good but her photos are over photoshopped to the point of fakeness at times!! But she defo didnt take any break from technology clearly lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But it does kind of show how difficult it is to move away from technology and to take a break from it.

For any of you who have stated on this thread how poor writing and spelling are things that irk you with certain beauty and fashion bloggers, then you should check out the leading blogger's latest blog on a shopping haul she did in Penneys. The blog will either make you laugh or else bug the life out of you. So badly written and with so many spelling mistakes. There are some sentences that don't even follow any logic or make any sense. This post demonstrates two things - 1) a severely poor grasp of the English language, 2) complete laziness to not even bother to read back over the post to identify the mistakes and amend accordingly. Shockingly bad!

Noticed that myself, I want to unfollow but the entertainment value is too good! Although I think a lot of people (certainly ones I know) think the same. Although it's nonetheless impressive how she forged such a career for herself out of it. It's become a bit of everything blog now, I like bloggers who stick with what they set out to do, trying to be all things to eveybody as in look at my fab life really just appeals to the younger types I think anyway - that's coming from a 30+ mother of 2!

Her Penney's haul post is hardly that bad, I only skimmed through it (didn't spot any spelling mistakes though) as I do not have the washboard abs to wear crop tops!

One thing I would love to see is her (any other bloggers) giving tips for other people besides themselves ie. curvy blondes :)

Well unless she cleaned up the post in the last few minutes, it would be hard to miss the poor writing and spelling errors. But you say that you don't think it's that bad. However, as I stated above, I posted this particular comment for the interest of those posters on here who hate it when bloggers cannot write properly.

It's the lecturer in me that brings out the worst in me when I read post like that! The punctuation is dreadful. Anyway, can anybody recommend a good beauty blogger? Irish preferably, as I find the products can be obtained a lot easier!

Her overuse of the exclamation mark is the most annoying thing ever! Lol

traineeacc wrote: »
    Noticed that myself, I want to unfollow but the entertainment value is too good! Although I think a lot of people (certainly ones I know) think the same. Although it's nonetheless impressive how she forged such a career for herself out of it. It's become a bit of everything blog now, I like bloggers who stick with what they set out to do, trying to be all things to eveybody as in look at my fab life really just appeals to the younger types I think anyway - that's coming from a 30+ mother of 2!

I agree. She set out her blog originally stating that Olivia Palermo's style was her inspiration! I have never seen her in any outfit,make up or style that reflects this! Fake lashes on top of fake lashes, oceans of hair extensions, litres of fake tan,endless inches of make up and trashy looking, tight clothing will never be something that Olivia Palermo will be seen sporting! Bloggers should stay true to their original convictions whilst still changing things up a bit with all the emerging fashion trends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

traineeacc wrote: »
    It's the lecturer in me that brings out the worst in me when I read post like that! The punctuation is dreadful. Anyway, can anybody recommend a good beauty blogger? Irish preferably, as I find the products can be obtained a lot easier!

I like Lovely Girlie Bits, her reviews are very thorough. Ditto Make-Up Over Mind, Viva Adonis, Luxe Life Aspirations, Make-Up Monster. All Irish :)

UK-wise, I really like Vivianna Does Make-Up, That Grace Girl, Caroline Hirons, a model recommends, gh0stparties (though her posts are a little same-y), and loads more. Buy Now, Blog Later is an English girl in Dubai and Simone Loves Make-Up is an Irish girl in Dubai - both have lovely blogs, although they buy a lot of luxury brands. Bloomin' Rouge is an American blog I love.

Once you start with a handful of blogs to read, you find loads more!

I don't know how she can claim that Victoria Beckham and Olivia Palermo are her style icons, if she is trying to emulate their style she is failing badly. She looks more like the Towie and Geordie Shore types I see on Daily Mail falling out of the clubs every night.

I don't know how she can claim that Victoria Beckham and Olivia Palermo are her style icons, if she is trying to emulate their style she is failing badly. She looks more like the Towie and Geordie Shore types I see on Daily Mail falling out of the clubs every night.

Serious fail on her part anna080! You've hit the nail on the head with how you describe what her image/look is actually akin to. Such a Geordie Shore-esque look going on there. And no amount of designer hand bags (fake or otherwise) can make the end result any classier. Some people have it and some don't and in the case of this particular blogger, she is seriously deficient in the class stakes. Olivia Palermo need not quake in her boots just yet!

I like bloggers who say the product was trade gifted etc, the blogger in question never (that I have seen) does that. I think the reader should be aware if the blogger is being paid, often quite significant amounts to endorse the product. I need not name the particular night street brand in question.

She isn't the only one who does that but to me she certainly is the one who does it most and most blatantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I think that is by far the worst thing a blogger can do. If they are being paid to endorse a product then it should be clearly stated. I wonder if there is any legislation in place to prevent this as it is extremely deceiving. People work hard for their money and don't need to be fooled into buying a product via a misleading blog post.

With that kind of following the payout is quite decent, paid per click, paid more for a purchase via the "buy here" link. The appearance fees aren't cheap! I know from a family member who works in an establishment that contemplated it but decided against it. The payout to "review" a product can be very good with that level of followers.

One other thing that bugs me so much is how quick certain bloggers are to delete comments who don't like outfit/hair/bag etc. People will have different opinions that's life and by putting up loads of photos a day you invite comment. I don't agree with hurtful personal comments but to go on such a defensive rant when somebody says "don't like the top" is so ott. This will then be followed by a flurry of "hattersgonnahate" hash tags!!! That phrase drives me nuts!!!

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I think that is by far the worst thing a blogger can do. If they are being paid to endorse a product then it should be clearly stated. I wonder if there is any legislation in place to prevent this as it is extremely deceiving. People work hard for their money and don't need to be fooled into buying a product via a misleading blog post.

I may be wrong not in Ireland but in the UK I believe in recent years this has come into being. I think it's essential particularly with the rise in blogging in the last number of years

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement