Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just don't get it (Rant rant rant) *FASTLANE SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

LeeJM wrote: »
    What I dont understand about all the complaints in this thread is for years the IWC has complained and cried about new stars being made. Last year Daniel Bryan beat all of Evolution in 1 night and main evented WrestleMania. He doesn't need to be in the main event this year.

This year, we're getting a new top face in Roman Reigns in the main event and a relatively young top heel in Bray Wyatt getting this years Taker match. Oh and John Cena is facing a fresh, unbeaten majorly over heel in the midcard. This is what the IWC has wanted for years and now all of a sudden its WWE thats out of touch?

As much as ppl on here love DB, his body is breaking down and it was only a couple of years ago that Edge had to walk away after neck issues, so Id say WWE are right not to just have DB as the TOP guy.

Post WM I would think we'll have a line up of the top 5 faces being Reigns, Cena, Orton, Bryan and Ambrose and top 5 heels being Rollins, Wyatt, Sheamus, BNB and possibly a heel Ziggler. Theres months of fresh feuds in just those 10 guys alone. And lets not forget that Brock may not be done after WM.

Throw in Adrian Neville, Lucha Dragons, Finn Balor and Bull Dempsey joining the main roster and things arent that bad. I really think post Punk interview people are just gonna find ways to sh*t on everything WWE do and right now its because DB isnt main eventing.

Maybe it's just me but the inclusion of those 3 seem a bit random. I can;t imagine Bull being on the main roster for quite some time and the Lucha Dragons had thier NXT tag title reign cut very short after a lukewarm reaction and have been quite botchy when ive seen em recently.

I think somehow peoples dispute with the WWE has been turned into D Bryan or nothing when that really isn't it. If the focus of Raw / the people in the Mania main event were Ambrose, Ziggler or Rollins for instance (so not just Bryan) or if say one of them won the Rumble I think the fans would be well pleased but its the fact that who the fans want seem to be almost actively ignored while others (Reigns being the prime example like Bryan is on the other end of the scale) are being forced down their throats despite them voicing their opinion that they don't think they are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Think we should all be joyful Cena isn't in the Main event for the second year in a row. Head-scratching stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Think we should all be joyful Cena isn't in the Main event for the second year in a row. Head-scratching stuff.

I'll be very happy if he puts Rusev over at mania, if he does that Rusev is an instant star.

Cena can always get his non needed win back at Payback if he must but Rusev has impressed me in the ring and it would be such a huge moment for him to beat Cena at Wrestlemania and if Cena is taking a step back surely that should be his role now, putting over and making new stars. That said just like last year with Wyatt they will think that just being in there with Cena is a big enough rub for his opponent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I really think post Punk interview people are just gonna find ways to sh*t on everything WWE do and right now its because DB isnt main eventing.

People weren't happy pre-Punk interview in fairness, but it doesn't change the fact things have gotten worse in recent years in terms of Vince sticking middle fingers up at fans.

Bryan doesn't need to be the top guy, but he doesn't need to be dumped on to the extent he is either. The fans obviously love the guy, but for some reason, this is actually held against him by WWE.

You talk about Reigns, but fans won't accept someone just cause they are new. WWE has given us no reason at all to get behind Reigns as a top guy. There's no character to get behind, as compared to Bryan who is the underdog fighting against an oppressive authority figure, and who always remains upbeat despite constantly being pushed down into the mud. The Bryan character is the easiest in the world for everyone to relate to so it's no surprise then that everyone wants to see that character at the top of the show.

Even if you aren't going to make Bryan the top guy, you've got to give him something; half the revolt from fans on the Bryan issue is that WWE don't capitalise on a guy the fans are screaming every night "We love this guy, please push him". And WWE just goes "**** off, we'll tell you who to like."

You list Taker/Bray and Cena/Rusev as reasons to be excited, but both of those matches will end with the elder going over the up-and-comer. You list Ambrose as one of the top faces in the company, someone the fans voted for "Breakout Superstar of the Year" but he's been made look like an utter idiot for the last year, never winning a match on PPV, losing every feud he's in, often through his own inepititude. Ziggler will be pushed as a major star one night and then a loser for the next three months. Ryback has a squash match to a great reaction, and then vanishes for weeks. Guys like Cesaro and Ryder can get massive reactions and fanbases behind them, only to be punished for it.

Ultimately, the internet fan base complains because there's not even the remotest of remote attempts made to cater to them at times, and often times, we're told we're idiots for liking guys WWE doesn't want us to like. Hell, there was talk about Bryan vs Ziggler....chances are most wouldn't mind at this stage if they let those two go out with the story of "This is for the smarks" and just go at it. But they don't even get that.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    Bryan is petering out but it has everything to do with how he's presented.

The fans are simply giving up.

Spot on. It's a testament to Bryan that fans still haven't bailed on him, and it's a stubborn battle of wills now between the ideologies of Vince vs the ideologies of the fans. And it says something that even though the reactions aren't as loud as last year, Bryan still blows everyone else out of the building.

You literally have a guy here that's worth millions to your company, that kids and adults, guys and girls, love and adore in a way not seen for years. He's a money printing machine....and WWE are basically turning their noses up at it, because "you'll like who we tell you to like, Goddammit!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

A good hypothetical was made by Bryan Alvarez would you rather have Vince be 100% behind the wrong guy or undermining the right guy like last year?
    What I dont understand about all the complaints in this thread is for years the IWC has complained and cried about new stars being made.

Two things:

It isn't just those two options.

The "IWC" didn't reject the Shield, Wyatts, Rusev etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

WWE cant write for more than one feud at a time as well in all fairness. They have their main feud and then everything else is interchangeable really. It has been a rare occurrence that more than one match going into a PPV has had a proper build and because of this people run out of steam.

I personally kinda like Reigns and hope he turns heel at wrestlemania it would be the best for him to be paired with Heyman and give him some top workers to build him up in singles competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What I dont understand about all the complaints in this thread is for years the IWC has complained and cried about new stars being made. Last year Daniel Bryan beat all of Evolution in 1 night and main evented WrestleMania. He doesn't need to be in the main event this year.

He doesn't. But he's the best choice based on overness, in ring ability and logical sense. Never lost the title, etc etc.
    This year, we're getting a new top face in Roman Reigns in the main event and a relatively young top heel in Bray Wyatt getting this years Taker match. Oh and John Cena is facing a fresh, unbeaten majorly over heel in the midcard. This is what the IWC has wanted for years and now all of a sudden its WWE thats out of touch?

No one wants Reigns in the main event right now. Ziggler, Ambrose, Cesaro and countless others have been dumped on. 3 potential stars right there and WWE continues to misuse them, despite the desire of the fans to see them higher in the card.

As much as ppl on here love DB, his body is breaking down and it was only a couple of years ago that Edge had to walk away after neck issues, so Id say WWE are right not to just have DB as the TOP guy.

Because one injury(severe injury granted) means a lad is finished. Sure why not go back in time and pull Austin from his megapush in 1998 because he broke his neck. Or retire him when he went for surgery. How about Angle taking time off for injuries? Undertaker? Cena?
    Post WM I would think we'll have a line up of the top 5 faces being Reigns, Cena, Orton, Bryan and Ambrose and top 5 heels being Rollins, Wyatt, Sheamus, BNB and possibly a heel Ziggler. Theres months of fresh feuds in just those 10 guys alone. And lets not forget that Brock may not be done after WM.

Reigns: Awful on the mic, average at best in the ring. Severe cardio issues, rejected by the fans. No character to speak of and no reason for people to get behind him.

Cena: I like Cena but he's long gone past stale. He can still go and he still gets the biggest reactions but he's 38 soon.

Orton: Only back and already they are ****ing it up. He went from being a crazed lunatic looking for payback, to back slapping Rollins in one night. ?????

Bryan: He'll never be allowed to be the man as long as Vince is around.

Ambrose: Booked like a clown for 6 months now. He's over but the damage may have been done.

Rollins: Puts in the performance of a lifetime at the Rumble, instead of being pushed on, they go the opposite way and have him jobbing and being a chicken**** heel again. He's cooled off a lot but he has the case so he should be ok. I don't trust WWE to get it right though.

Wyatt: Depends what happens at Mania.

Sheamus: A fresh direction may help him but he's getting on too.

BNB: He's been ruined now too. The best parts of his gimmick have been stripped away(because he was getting over :rolleyes: ) and he's been booked as a paper champion(Sin Cara and R-Truth have beat him).

Ziggler: Same issue as DB.
    Throw in Adrian Neville, Lucha Dragons, Finn Balor and Bull Dempsey joining the main roster and things arent that bad. I really think post Punk interview people are just gonna find ways to sh*t on everything WWE do and right now its because DB isnt main eventing.

Neville I absolutely love(he's top 3 world for in-ring performers atm imo) but with the dark elf ears and not great mic skills(he's getting better though) I don't have much hope for him.

Balor is a megastar so I fully expect WWE to **** him up too.

Dempsey and the Lucha Dragons? Really?

The point is, it's not because DB isn't main eventing. It really isn't.

It's because despite having the deepest and most talent stacked roster maybe ever, WWE creatively is arguably even worse then it was in 1994-1995. All while a stubborn, out of touch old man constantly insults our intelligence and tells us who to cheer for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I do understand that (and admit I dont watch it all that much) but was Ziggler treated much better?

Who apart from Bryan would people have been happy winning?

I must admit I find Rollins fantastic :)

Dunno about others, but apart from Bryan I'd have loved an Ambrose win (though I couldn't see him beating Brock). Despite not really being a fan of his, Wyatt could have been okay. Rusev could have been good too, and I still find it hilarious that people at the end of the Rumble were cheering for the evil Anti-American over Reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I had my own rant on the state of the Union and how NXT is so much better here

Really poor show last night. Of course it's Vince's touch all over this. Ziggler, if he was going to be beaten, should have been beaten by Seth. When Seth came out, Big Slow and Lame applauded him. Logic dictates that if they worship this guy, they should have let him have the pin. Even if it meant dragging him over to cover Ziggles.

I liked the tag match with the Uso's and Kidd/Cesaro. I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into a 6 way mixed tag at Mania though. Let Nattie and Naomi have their own match, and keep the tag feud separate.

The booking of BNB and Ambrose was stupid. Ambrose went to all that trouble to get an IC match, just to throw it away? C'mon now. Again, no logic. And why did he steal the belt like a heel?

The Gold Vs Stardust match bombed. So glad they didn't get to have a match at Mania after seeing this. Although I fear that's where we are headed now. Awesome promo by Cody backstage though.

Loved the wardrobe malfunction by Paige.

Rusev was booked almost perfectly here against Cena. I've been his biggest critic, but he looked strong here. I fear that, Cena will beat him at Mania (which will achieve nothing), and Rusev will be an every big man in no time.

Finally, Reigns vs Daniel Bryan. WWE know they were in trouble with the way Reigns was booed at the Rumble. so what do they do? They get him to beat Bryan clean, to make him look stronger. And have Bryan endorse him at the end, so that the fans will accept him now. No. F you Vince. Again, this has his touch all over it. Shove the guy down our throats. So far that we gag. Nobody really wants to see this match as the main event. It's gonna be a car crash and not in a good way. For all intents and purposes, Lesnar should destroy this guy. But will he? No. Here's the guy, in Lesnar, that has dominated all around him, beat the streak, dominated Cena, and left all broken in his wake. And the guy that nobody wants is going to beat him? The only guy that hasn't moved on from the Shield, (so much so that he was still wearing gloves with the Shield logo on them at Fastlane)

Stink vs Triple H. Again Hunter's sizable nose is stuck in with the newest Big Name. This is going to be awful. Stink looks like he can hardly walk. Triple H can have a great match with nearly anybody, but i've no interest in seeing this. I thing Stink should have fought Bray Wyatt at Mania.

Onto Bray vs Taker. I think this will be fine. I hope at least. Taker should be capable of a better match than last year, as long as he isn't concussed. I'm looking forward to seeing Bray do his Spider Walk from the corner, to be met with Taker sitting up!

Lame and Big Slow should have a participants of the match leave town match, and be never seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the really sad thing about the Reigns situation is that Brock is quite literally the perfect heel for a new up-and-coming star babyface to beat.

and it's going to be wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,897 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The problem isn't what, its who. Reigns wasn't over and Wyatt has no heel heat. When you've young guys who are over and young guys who have heel heat who could have made a riveting Wrestlemania, the frustration is natural.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, didn't really get the point of doing the endorsement shtick at all. Didn't exactly work with the Rock at the Rumble, so why were they expecting this to go any differently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Ambrose should be the one they look at here, but the only thing that'll help him now is to go over Rusev and break his streak in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, didn't really get the point of doing the endorsement shtick at all. Didn't exactly work with the Rock at the Rumble, so why were they expecting this to go any differently?

I thought the handshake didn't seem nearly as forced as the Rock segment at the rumble and fits naturally with DB being a sportmanlike face, brings him back a bit from behaving slightly heelish during the match as well. I thought for a minute they might have bailed on RR and went with a heel-ish DB winning by exploiting Reigns' past injury and putting him out of action again - making him seem like a hypocrite, etc.

I suppose that's true enough. Didn't stop it getting booed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Big Slow and Lame applauded him.
    Stink vs Triple H. Again Hunter's sizable nose is stuck in with the newest Big Name.

And people wonder why the powers that be see Internet fans as nerds and weirdos.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    And people wonder why the powers that be see Internet fans as nerds and weirdos.

All true. Anything else now you'd like to select out for critism there champ?

All true. Anything else now you'd like to select out for critism there champ?

Not disagreeing with what you said. Just the stupid changing off the names to be cool. Makes any point you may of had mean nothing as I basically didn't care what you said and I'm sure other people thought the same.

I know who am I to have an opinion on what you say blah blah blah but just for your own sake if you want people to read what you are saying and form a proper opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I've no problem with Sting and HHH going head to head. It's two major names, in a feud that can work nicely, plus with it being Stings first WWE match ever you want it to be special, and since HHH doesn't wrestle all year round it really makes the match seem like once off that you won't see again.

Not disagreeing with what you said. Just the stupid changing off the names to be cool. Makes any point you may of had mean nothing as I basically didn't care what you said and I'm sure other people thought the same.

I know who am I to have an opinion on what you say blah blah blah but just for your own sake if you want people to read what you are saying and form a proper opinion on it.

I'll take the under consideration next time I write a tome. How do you know I changed the names "just to be cool?".

Perhaps I did it just to be funny. Maybe autocorrect on my phone changed it? My reasons could be numerous. Nice to see you've formed an opinion for yourself though.

I'm glad you couldn't have care less about what I had to say. Delighted.

• Advertisement

I'll take the under consideration next time I write a tome. How do you know I changed the names "just to be cool?".

Perhaps I did it just to be funny. Maybe autocorrect on my phone changed it? My reasons could be numerous. Nice to see you've formed an opinion for yourself though.

I'm glad you couldn't have care less about what I had to say. Delighted.
    Well either way did it to be funny it cool whatever I'm just saying. No need to be passive aggressive about it. Just ignore me as I'm sure you will. Just offering some friendly advice

Well either way did it to be funny it cool whatever I'm just saying. No need to be passive aggressive about it. Just ignore me as I'm sure you will. Just offering some friendly advice

Nothing passive aggressive about it. If you were just saying, you could have kept it to yourself. It was the nerdy / weirdo comment that got me, now that was passive agressive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

In the latest edition of Wrestling Observer Radio (via Wrestlezone), Dave Meltzer said that Brock Lesnar was involved in a backstage situation that WWE doesn’t want to get out. WWE announced several times that Brock would be on RAW with Paul Heyman to talk about Roman Reigns, but Lesnar never showed.
    Meltzer said there was “more to the story”.

He said: “The story is ongoing and still in progress. I don’t think anyone wants it out until whatever it is is settled…but something happened, but what that is, I do not know.

He added that he doesn’t think the situation is bad enough that the Wrestlemania 31 main event is in jeopardy, but there “is an unanswered question, and I don’t know what it is right now.”

My guess is that Brock was asked to be part of that promo shambles that took place last night with Heyman and point blank refused.

Given how much WWE has fcuked around with their fanbase in the past year it would be hilarious if Brock pulled out of Mania.

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    My guess is that Brock was asked to be part of that promo shambles that took place last night with Heyman and point blank refused.

Given how much WWE has fcuked around with their fanbase in the past year it would be hilarious if Brock pulled out of Mania.

Is he in contract negotiations with WWE now? Alvarez was saying at the weekend that Brock was rethinking the whole UFC / MMA thing, in light of his previous concussions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

If he does Seth should cash in on the vacant title.

Brock has Vince over a barrel. He can ask for more money. What's Vince going to do? Fire him?

Brock ain't no fool.

Is he in contract negotiations with WWE now? Alvarez was saying at the weekend that Brock was rethinking the whole UFC / MMA thing, in light of his previous concussions etc.

The rumour goes that JR put that story out there now that he is back on somewhat decent terms with WWE. It makes sense given that if it is known by the fans that Brock is definitely leaving after Mania then 70 thousand people will sh*t all over the main event at Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

70 thousand people will sh*t all over the main event at Mania.
    Isn't that going to happen anyway?

Isn't that going to happen anyway?

Not to the extent it will if they know Brock losing is a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's not like WWE have no idea that a big section of (adult) fans don't like Roman. Triple H even talks about this in his podcast with Austin, defending Roman Reigns' workrate and addressing concerns over Bryan's direction, e.g. "They're pushing Roman and holding back Daniel Bryan."

I think WWE feels that Roman's a guy they can market to the kids. As far as they're concerned, that's where the revenue is in the current product is. The smarks are covered with NXT and the Network archive. They've been building Roman for the last few months in a time when no one was even sure if Bryan could make it back and WWE are hesitant to put Bryan in the main event for fear his neck doesn't hold up. With WWE already in hot water over the latest wave of Punk allegations, they can't really handle another hurt superstar story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,897 ✭✭✭✭CSF

briany wrote: »
    It's not like WWE have no idea that a big section of (adult) fans don't like Roman. Triple H even talks about this in his podcast with Austin, defending Roman Reigns' workrate and addressing concerns over Bryan's direction, e.g. "They're pushing Roman and holding back Daniel Bryan."

I think WWE feels that Roman's a guy they can market to the kids. As far as they're concerned, that's where the revenue is in the current product is. The smarks are covered with NXT and the Network archive. They've been building Roman for the last few months in a time when no one was even sure if Bryan could make it back and WWE are hesitant to put Bryan in the main event for fear his neck doesn't hold up. With WWE already in hot water over the latest wave of Punk allegations, they can't really handle another hurt superstar story.
    Trips, is that you?

Advertisement