Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved back to Ireland and questioning it!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Noo wrote: »
    We want to do a little travelling too before settling in Ireland, and that also has to be at the right time of year so that has to be factored in when leaving. Obviouy ideal to go straight into travelling as you dont have to worry about jobs etcs untik you get back. I'm hoping to have a least $60-70k coming back. Of course exchange rate will devour that but theres also super to get back too. I work in a very specific field so am very worried about work, im trying to be optimistic and hope that'll work in my favour but im not so sure.

Christ on a bike- $60-70K AFTER travelling?? Good on you. I'd be hoping to have between $20K & $30K put aside for job-hunting, but I'm a bit nervous about that figure as I know how quickly it can slip through your fingers. I'm also in the Construction industry and work is scarce in that field also! The last thing I want is to be heading back to Mammy's with my tail between my legs penniless after travelling the globe and job hunting to no avail after 6 months. My worst nightmare haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

god sorry thats before travelling haha, hope to go travelling at Christmas too (if im still here) so in total that'll be a good chunk off that! I too am in the construction industry.

god sorry thats before travelling haha, hope to go travelling at Christmas too (if im still here) so in total that'll be a good chunk off that! I too am in the construction industry.

Ah right- I don't feel so bad now haha! If you struggle with getting work in Ireland you could also keep your ears to the ground for whats happening in the UK too. I think London & the south of England at the moment are going through a bit of a boom for construction. I'm in the exact same boat as yourself then by the sounds of it- I'm kind of thinking of making the move early next year myself.

Threads like this don't exact fill me with confidence with whats happening with the Irish economy lately though!! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057385688

By the sounds of it Dublin is our best bet for work in Ireland, and a half decent lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Love this thread. This topic has been popping up loads between me and the OH. We both have good jobs over here and are applying for PR soon. I find the fact I'm away from my family very hard, even to a point where I feel selfish do being on the other side of the world. Which I know I shouldn't but I can't help it.

I've got a younger brother as well so not seeing him is difficult. I reckon once we get PR we might give Ireland another bash.

• Advertisement

Love this thread. This topic has been popping up loads between me and the OH. We both have good jobs over here and are applying for PR soon. I find the fact I'm away from my family very hard, even to a point where I feel selfish do being on the other side of the world. Which I know I shouldn't but I can't help it.

I've got a younger brother as well so not seeing him is difficult. I reckon once we get PR we might give Ireland another bash.

Its incredible how much I can relate to so many posters in this thread! But yep, I feel the exact same way as you in relation to guilt/selfishness. :(

We were in the process of applying for PR but with the OH on the verge of leaving we just cant justify the cost right now. Although that wont make it easier down the line if we want to give oz another go. But the family and friends is what will get me in the end. Our irish friends here are all but gone (all back to ireland) so its getting a bit lonely here. I do have a Australian friends and some english/irish friends here permanently but theyre all starting to settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

I am from Aus & my wife from Dublin. I lived in Dublin for 10 years and found that a month a year back in Aus was great. I brought the golf clubs, spent loads of time with family & friends and crammed probably as much time with them in a month as I would normally in a year.

Now that we're back in Aus, my wife is finding the same thing. We came back to Aus before our third child was born as the recession was in full swing. I was of course more keen to come than my wife but it has worked out well financially for us & the kids now do typical Australian kid things like swim & play outside all year round.

I think staying & being happy depends on two things, especially if neither partner is Australian. Your reasons for moving and the support you have at home. If you come for short term reasons, I think you may be more homesick after a certain period of time.

The other thing is family. We have lots of English, Irish, Scottish friends who have family over every year for visits etc. & they get no guilt from home about being here. I think a hard thing for my wife, and something that hinders her truly settling is the amount of grief she gets from the family in Ireland. If you have supportive family back home, it makes it easier to settle here.

We may end up back in Ireland one day but we will always do what's best for our kids & everyone else is a secondary concern.

Nelson Muntz is spot on. That's the point I was trying to make earlier (but i got too lazy) about at least one person in a couple being Australian changes things completely for the other person. My family have never once made me feel guilty about being here which I appreciate, but I know they'd have me home in a heartbeat, of course wanting it to be entirely my own decision. My dad constantly tells me if I'm stuck for money or cant afford just a trip home he'll pay (think my previous post shows that wont be necessary) but knowing the support is there is reassuring. My bro and SIL try to make me feel guilty in a joking way, as they've just had a baby, but they travelled oz years ago and would go again if they could so. When theyre not joking my bro asks why I would ever want to come back to Ireland.

There person who would have me back above all them is my mum, who has told me so many times during cases of homesickness to stick it out. Inside i know shes screaming at me to come home but she wants whats best for me.

Knowing I can go back to Ireland and never go without support or a roof over my head, no matter how bad my job prospects may be. You just dont have that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Moved to Oz in 2010. Still here sponsored but all my friends going back home this year. I dont know what to do. Could get PR but then I lose all the Super i've accumulated. Big decision to be made soon and I havent the faintest what to do. Love my job & the lifestyle here but just running low on friends :o

Like everyone else I miss my family. Scariest thing is going home every couple of years and watching your parents visibly aged since you seen them last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Fair enough, is a different story for those with young families.

But people without kids who feel restricted in coming home / going back etc. it is not an irreversible decision. yes okay, you may have left a job. there are other jobs!

I moved home from Canada and have been having similar feelings, but when I came home I knew I could reverse this decision.

Irish people need to stop letting a few thousand dollars dictate what choices they have in their lives. I think you'll find if you get in touch with old places you worked, if they liked you and you were good, they'd look to get you back in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Kind of sucks if you came home because of your husband personally wanting to be back in Ireland. I know he got offered a permanent job here but I think it'd honestly have been better for the kids to have stayed there as long as possible, the standard of life your kids would get should surely be worth the homesickness your husband would have to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kilo6

Well after spending 5 months in Ireland it only confirms our decision to emigrate to America 20 years ago. A point running through this thread seems to be the loss of family by being away. Well modern internet service makes communication easy that is if you are lucky enough to have it in rural Ireland where it is a joke. I and my irish friends speak fondly of the one or two telephone calls from ireland from said loving family a year. When questioned about this they say oh sure the cost of it and sure you were the ones that left.
    The oppurtunities that my wife and kids have availed themselves would never in a million years be available here in ireland. Im back tending to things now for a little while and cannot wait to get back to my home in the USA. I did look into maybe trying to settle back here and my god the roadblocks put in front of you is amazing. Try getting an irish driving licence for one. Makes me laugh these gombeen politicans acting like beggars trundling around the US looking for companies to setup in Ireland. Then when you arrive here. Interne non existent or unusable. Roads in ****e. Taxes out of control. Dole ques out the door on a tuesday by people too lazy to emigrate and get a decent life but then why should they when all you need do is put out your hand and beg.
    A overbloated civil service whos main job is to protect their cushy existence. Goverment departments run amuck with rules and regulations. Unions who protect their members regardless of what cost to the common good.
    Then we have the weather here pure ****e again. Ive met accountants here whos first advice to new clients is if you can emigrate.
    So yes i love America and thank god that we made the decision to leave 20 years ago. As they say over there Ireland a nice place to visit but by god you wouldnt want to live there.
    Another thing that riles my whiskers is from now till StPatricks day we will have to listen to gombeen politicians who have destroyed Ireland and ruined a whole generation of young people running around America blowing about how good it is here all paid by the Irish tax payer the poor ould sod.
    I am in rare form here this morning as i look out at the pissing down rain. I must ckeck my return ticket. iI generally am a cheerful guy but i need to get out of here before my head expoldes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

kilo6 wrote: »
    Well after spending 5 months in Ireland it only confirms our decision to emigrate to America 20 years ago. A point running through this thread seems to be the loss of family by being away. Well modern internet service makes communication easy that is if you are lucky enough to have it in rural Ireland where it is a joke. I and my irish friends speak fondly of the one or two telephone calls from ireland from said loving family a year. When questioned about this they say oh sure the cost of it and sure you were the ones that left.
    The oppurtunities that my wife and kids have availed themselves would never in a million years be available here in ireland. Im back tending to things now for a little while and cannot wait to get back to my home in the USA. I did look into maybe trying to settle back here and my god the roadblocks put in front of you is amazing. Try getting an irish driving licence for one. Makes me laugh these gombeen politicans acting like beggars trundling around the US looking for companies to setup in Ireland. Then when you arrive here. Interne non existent or unusable. Roads in ****e. Taxes out of control. Dole ques out the door on a tuesday by people too lazy to emigrate and get a decent life but then why should they when all you need do is put out your hand and beg.
    A overbloated civil service whos main job is to protect their cushy existence. Goverment departments run amuck with rules and regulations. Unions who protect their members regardless of what cost to the common good.
    Then we have the weather here pure ****e again. Ive met accountants here whos first advice to new clients is if you can emigrate.
    So yes i love America and thank god that we made the decision to leave 20 years ago. As they say over there Ireland a nice place to visit but by god you wouldnt want to live there.
    Another thing that riles my whiskers is from now till StPatricks day we will have to listen to gombeen politicians who have destroyed Ireland and ruined a whole generation of young people running around America blowing about how good it is here all paid by the Irish tax payer the poor ould sod.
    I am in rare form here this morning as i look out at the pissing down rain. I must ckeck my return ticket. iI generally am a cheerful guy but i need to get out of here before my head expoldes.

What part of America are you living in? Florida or Cali I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

Oh god....personally I don't like Oz, but I know it can be gud there for those that like. Waste no time....move back! The thought of returning to Ireland makes me shiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Love this thread

Am in a similar boat, I'm going home for good in the next while. My emotions are all over the place, I verge between sadness and been super excited. Have had an amazing time over the last 4 years, particularly the first two where I did loads of travelling and generally lived it up! I went home last year for a visit and if I'm been honest, I don't feel that I properly settled back since. Found it very hard to handle the goodbyes and I swore the next time I'd be going home would be for good. Can't wait to be in close proximity to my family and friends. Also I'm looking forward to travelling a lot more of Europe and America

...But then I think of my Aussie friends here and it saddens me I'm not going to be a regular part of their lives, I think of the great lifestyle, the amazing weather here, the serious paycut I'm gonna take, the weather at home and I begin to wonder what the hell I'm doing!!!

I'm lucky that I have PR so I can come back if I can't settle at home.

Keep the stories coming :-)

Statina...I could've wrote the same post word for word

Me too! The very best of luck with the move Statina. We'll be interested to hear how you get on! It's amazing how so many people are seriously considering moving back home for good lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

Undertow wrote: »
    Me too! The very best of luck with the move Statina. We'll be interested to hear how you get on! It's amazing how so many people are seriously considering moving back home for good lately.

On the Facebook page Irish Perth there is a constant stream of folks selling house stuff because they are moving home

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

I guess this thread resonates with anyone who's moved this far from home, but I think in particular there was a spike in Irish moving to Australia in 2009-2011. Those who stayed are at the 4/5/6 year mark and probably considering their options.

I'm one of those, although not planning any move just yet. I'm eligible for citizenship later this year,so I'm definitely getting that and I'll consider my options after that. I know that my girlfriend and I definitely don't want to be this far away as our parents get older so I think we'll try to move to the UK or Ireland in the next 18-24 months.

I know that our day-to-day lifestyle almost certainly won't be as good as what we have here but with any move you have to make sacrifices I guess and I would prefer to be closer to family when they'll need me most. I'm sure the transitional phase is difficult but I think you need to give it a decent amount if time before you decide whether it was the right choice.

With regards to super, I never get that argument of 'losing' it if you're PR or a citizen. Yes, you can't access it straight away, but you'll need a pension for retirement anyway and you can just access it at your preservation age like everyone else in Australia.

Good luck to those making decisions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

For what it's worth Manchester is a good destination for work, visited last year as a potential next move after Australia, plenty of work and with my wife planning on retraining there's plenty of options there.

I'd been to Australia before and only came back for the work so haven't really struggled with the decision to leave although if it had been new Zealand I would have conflicted feelings.

Loads of Irish friends planning on heading off in the near future, plenty gone already.

The big difference between emigration now and 20 years ago is communications, now you don't have to dive in as much as you did in past. I was talking with a English couple who came here 15 years ago who swore that for the first two years they wouldn't talk about home but try to make friends asap, join clubs etc.. They love it here now and won't go back.

That was a conscious decision to move to Australia whereas for many here it was where the work was at. I'm happy with a potential move to the UK in the near future and have zero reservations about leaving OZ.

Besides the way things have gone recently in WA I won't be surprised if tougher job conditions make some peoples decision to quit OZ a lot easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

acb wrote: »
    As the title says...we moved home 4 weeks ago yday after being in Australia 2.5 years and while its great seeing everyone, I think Id rather have stayed. We were in Mornington , Melbourne and I loved it...husband didn't though. I had really settled , made great friends, knew the schools the kids would start next year etc

Back now and finding it grime here. Go for a walk and you have to keep watching out for Dog crap everywhere..really annoys me. I have a poo brush for the pram- how gross is that! Grown men discard litter without a second thought. It make me question why am I telling my 3 yo to put his rubbish in his pocket until he finds a bin.
    What strikes me is everywhere looks like it needs money spent on it. I guess thats the recession.
    Maybe its the time of year or me projecting my feelings, but people seem like they're having a hard tough life.
    Since we got back its a struggle. I don't do anything- stuck inside with the kids. In Oz I was always out. I dint think twice about heading out with the 2 kids for a walk someplace.

Probably should say what brought us back..well husband got 2 job offers in the same week, a job in Melbourne CBD and another one- a permanent job in Ireland so we came back. We left in the first place because of 'natural wastage', husband lost his job so we applied for skilled visa for Australia.

Its so hard to know, Sorry I know my post is a long whingy ramble.
    Im just feeling unsettled...people don't understand unless they've gone through it themselves.

The system here is rotten - this country no longer serves its people - if it ever did that is. What we need is that get that right wing waste of space in Leinster House out - that's FF, FG & Lab. They put business interests first and the people can go to hell. What we also need is a second republic with a new constitution centered on social decencies.

1. Housing - Our property system is IMO a recreation of the landlord system run by cold hearted individuals - we need a new efficient delivery mechanism for housing administered by a central state body. We also need baseline price regulation where for example, the price of a basic 3 bed house is strictly regulated and subject to stringent standards and quotas. The market forces can kick in for properties beyond the basic specs - it should act as a benchmarking mechanism.

2. Health - Our health system seems corrupted by arrogant professionals who frequently screw up and get away with it (the taxpayer pays when they don't) - these individuals IMO should be rendered personally liable for any willful neglect of patients - I think that would change attitudes a bit. Paperwork also needs to be curtailed so that staff at hospitals are not excessively tied up. We still don't have a proper children's hospital.

3. Social Well Being
    - Politicians frequently boast about how well they're doing and relentlessly spiel off economic statistics. However, there's this Asian country called Bhutan where there is a performance indicator known as 'Gross National Happiness' - I seriously doubt that our politicians would do too well there! :rolleyes: I propose a similar indicator for this country: National Social Well Being Index (NSWI). I guess such a move would lead to a major reappraisal of policies in many areas - many of today's policies are greatly exacerbating the level of stress and anger in our society. The latest is of course the proposed withdrawal of bus services from rural areas on top of the closure of post offices and garda stations.

4. Freedom of Expression - A mature society should tolerate individual choice. No man or woman should be subject to negative comments on the street relating to their expression, appearance, gender, religion or orientation. Also, I think we should do away with fashion and fads and completely modernize retail practice by way of comprehensive product choice for people. TV programmes that dictate how people should act, think and present themselves should be banned on the grounds of freedom of expression.

5. Freedom of Movement
    - There needs to be an end to the relentless attack on the movement of people - of course, I'm referring to wide sweeping anti-car policies instead of proper planning and regulation of transport. Politicians here are so keen to get people out of their cars (autocracy I'd call that) and force them to cycle etc. Long promised rail projects are on the back burner yet again (Dublin still has no Metro) while many bus services are being pulled. Frequent and reliable transport services do attract a lot of people - look at the LUAS for example. Also, if we're to reduce CO2, then politicians need to get a lot smarter and start with the simpler things like discouraging the purchase of gas guzzlers, the provision of more park and ride facilities, changing of pricing structure to encourage more public transport usage during the day etc. Current transport policy in urban areas is nothing more than a hammer and six inch nail job - it won't work!

...need to go now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Middle Man wrote: »
    TV programmes that dictate how people should act, think and present themselves should be banned on the grounds of freedom of expression.
    Isn't the act of banning perpetuating that? Given the freedom of choice the first thing people do is imitate eachother.

Middle Man wrote:
    However, there's this Asian country called Bhutan where there is a performance indicator known as 'Gross National Happiness' - I seriously doubt that our politicians would do too well there!
    Bhutanese sound soooo happy... (from a wiki)
    In 1989 the government elevated the status of the dress code from recommended to mandatory. Afterward, all citizens were required to observe the dress code in public during business hours. This decree was resented by Lhotshampas in the southern lowlands who voiced complaints about being forced to wear the clothing of the Ngalop people. 80,000 Bhutanese refugees now reside in refugee camps in Nepal.

It's like how North Korea is a workers paradise as unemployment is illegal.

Traveling and working abroad can if you're inclined amplify the negatives over the positives of where you're from but perspective works both ways.

Some of the points you've raised Middle Man happen here too, especially in housing. Landlords can divert income tax towards shortfalls in rental income, the last estimate I saw from the ATO had 1.2million australian PAYG workers divert tax under Negative Gearing. (Australian population is just over 22m!)

That's a lot of non performing property investments being accommodated by everyone else, including first time buyers trying to save while renting property form landlords that they're subsidising! It's been going on since the mid 80s but no one here seems too upset about it, they don't see any problem with it!!!! Insane.

However Middle Man where you would love Australia, especially Perth, is for its car culture where taking public transport can be viewed as some sort of punishment! It's hilarious to hear some Aussie talk about how dangerous taking the train is when really they're some of safest I've ever been on anywhere!

The world is wide and we have a lot more options these days than decades ago when the emigrant masses would assemble in social clubs reminiscing about the auld sod as their lives became more rooted to their new countries.

Now emigration is easier, work for a while, get bored, move home, get bored, move elsewhere, get bored, move again.....

catbear wrote: »
    <snip> However Middle Man where you would love Australia, especially Perth, is for its car culture where taking public transport can be viewed as some sort of punishment! It's hilarious to hear some Aussie talk about how dangerous taking the train is when really they're some of safest I've ever been on anywhere! <snip>

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Where did I say that public transport was a bad thing???

What's funny is that I take the train to work!

catbear wrote: »
    Isn't the act of banning perpetuating that? Given the freedom of choice the first thing people do is imitate each other.

Well, you could say that banning content that promotes gay bashing, genocide, and other fascism like euthanizing people with disability etc is a denial of the right to express an opinion etc. Of course, people do have a right to express themselves, but not to an extent that threaten or undermine other groups of people. That's called bullying!

Of course, that's the wide end of the wedge, but what I'm really saying is that fashion programmes that tell people what not to wear for example is interfering with the rights of any person to go out and express him/herself as he/she sees fit. Given that there's people like me who don't like being told what to wear coupled with the fact that the fashion industry seems to enforce their desires through ridicule on the street, that is bullying - there's no other word for it!

People only have as many rights as they can assume without interfering with the rights of others!

As for people imitating each other, it's a case of social indoctrination - that 1970's song by Pink Floyd - The Wall (Part 2) Another Brick in the Wall - raises a lot of valid points about the social homogenizing process in education systems (some videos of that song really makes this clear) and how individuality is beaten out of people. People should try and think for themselves rather than taking what's fed to them by the system - sure that's how the Church controlled this country for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CB19135

6ix wrote: »
    I guess this thread resonates with anyone who's moved this far from home, but I think in particular there was a spike in Irish moving to Australia in 2009-2011. Those who stayed are at the 4/5/6 year mark and probably considering their options.

I'm one of those, although not planning any move just yet. I'm eligible for citizenship later this year,so I'm definitely getting that and I'll consider my options after that. I know that my girlfriend and I de

With regards to super, I never get that argument of 'losing' it if you're PR or a citizen. Yes, you can't access it straight away, but you'll need a pension for retirement anyway and you can just access it at your preservation age like everyone else in Australia.

Good luck to those making decisions!

Its important to cancel any extra charges attached to you super... insurance, assurance etc. And monitor it to see how much tax is taken each year. And you can always keep paying into it too!

That's an interesting point, and maybe you're right! I think people will always have the question hanging over them after a few years abroad though, and maybe just need confirmation that Ireland is no longer the country it once was, and you're better off in this part of the world! Deep down we probably suspect this, but to satisfy ourselves that we give things a go back there.

How about England? Surely the economy is doing better there, much more of a buzz about the place, better career prospects and money, and still close enough to head home for an odd weekend here and there? I think its the distance away from home that bugs people the most about Oz & NZ. If we could get home a bit more often, there would be a lot more people willing to set up camp here for good I reckon!

Well I have definitely got the confirmation I need but i'm still going to give it a fair go. Will stay at least a year to make sure. Would you believe my original plan was to move to london "not home but close enough and ive close family there" was my reasoning. I spent a month there and to be honest after living Melbourne for so long i couldnt justify the wages vs the rent! Suppose Melbourne doesnt win most livable city in the world every year for no reason! Being used to having a brand new apartment on the beach 10 mins from city with amazing views and lots of space for half the price of a really old apartment in some subarb in london was sort of a deal breaker! Of course its not all about money either but adding a 3rd country into the mix was just not good for me! In my line of work im much better off financially in ireland. Its just melbourne... it takes your heart!!

seachto7 wrote: »
    @CB19135. I have been to Aus and NZ, and while there are many advantages, the distance, I think, could eventually cause problems.

I'm only basing it on cousins of mine who have had to make the lonely trip home for funerals and the likes.

I know one person in particular who moved over for work (or the dole queue here), but the distance often gets to them.
    It's all about what you make it as well.

I know other people over there for work who give out about the Aussies every other day. I know other people there who have embraced the lifestyle, and won't be coming back.

I even emailed someone recently I know in Perth, and based on their FB updates and photos, life looked to be progressing nicely for them. Kids, a new house etc, but when they emailed, they said they had no firm plans to settle there. They weren't totally 100% sold on it.

I know, if I was there, I'd do my best to surround myself with like minded people most of the time.

While I may well be able to go to the UK, Aus has crossed my mind too. But I tend to think ahead. it's all hypothetical, but I often think of things like "What if I met someone and got married in Australia?" Relations getting old etc. Those kind of things. I suppose you have to live life for yourself, and not for others eventually.

It's interesting to read people's thoughts on this, as it's something I have thought about over and over.

I suppose my loose plan was to look for jobs close to home, then start casting the net further afield. Aus has to be on that radar now.

If I were 22, I'd go. Nothing to lose. I wouldn't be thinking of distance, family, deaths, relatives, at that age. I'd just want the craic. Maybe it gets harder as you get older?

You don't tend to meet many Irish who have done long stints down under, who have come back to Ireland to settle. I don't anyway.

Its only a day away!
    Ya everyone has their own lives.

Dunno how I'd handle the weather and the notorious pessimistic attitude of the Irish after being so long away though, I think it could crack me up

Ha ha the weather is a breeze here in comparison to the pessimism!

• Advertisement

Christ on a bike- $60-70K AFTER travelling?? Good on you. I'd be hoping to have between $20K & $30K put aside for job-hunting, but I'm a bit nervous about that figure as I know how quickly it can slip through your fingers. I'm also in the Construction industry and work is scarce in that field also! The last thing I want is to be heading back to Mammy's with my tail between my legs penniless after travelling the globe and job hunting to no avail after 6 months. My worst nightmare haha!

Especially if your there.more than 2 years and even your car insurance is over 2k!

Advertisement