Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2015 Toyota Avensis

Options
  • 16-02-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭

toyotaavensisestate2.jpg?itok=bx0a_uWD

Not a lot of details on this yet but it's a facelift of the current 2009 model rather than a new car from the ground up. Interior gets an overhaul and the chassis gets tweaked. New engines including the BMW 1.6 diesel and turbo petrol units. On sale in June apparently. Riveting stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Avensis is probably the car I hate looking at the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

That estate looks very Mazda 6 estate-esque...

Still, as you say yourself, riveting stuff! Will sell in its thousands because it's the best built car in the world though....!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Turbo petrol could be interesting as petrol avensis are as rare as hens teeth,definitely only a facelift though same crease along the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

The interiors of Toyota's are dull as ditch water. We have an 07 petrol avensis as family car and I can't stand driving it but the damn thing is the most reliable car we have ever had. Have it since 08 with very minor issues relating to age (battery, wiper motor)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is one of the first times they've facelifted/reskinned a facelift.
    Same idea as the current lexus IS.

To be fair, the outgoing passat is a good example of how to get the most out of a model run.
    They ran it for 9 years by keeping it fresh with new engines.

If you get the basic architecture right to start with, you don't need to keep starting from scratch to respond to competition.
    All the avensis needs is a better feel of quality, a usable handbrake and new engines. Toyota did a good job on the auris interior, so I'd be confident they can find life in the old girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Besides Ireland and a few other small countries the Avensis isn't selling in large enough numbers across Europe. Seems a chicken and egg situation to me - it doesn't sell well because it doesn't lead the class in any area so in turn Toyota don't seem to want to invest in future models, hence the rehash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Ironically If it were built in Japan it'd have a more certain future as a model. And if it were, it would be so expensive that it'd die a death in Europe either way.

Its a shame that saloons are going out of fashion. Lookalike 5 door hatchbacks. Faux jeeps and MPVs are all we'll see eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

166man wrote: »
    Still, as you say yourself, riveting stuff! Will sell in its thousands because it's the best built car in the world though....!

No doubt every second owner will be announcing "its got a BEE-EM engine" to no end

Yeah, the donedeal ads in 10 years time!
    It'll be the Rover 75 all over again!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure having a BMW diesel engine fitted is something to be boasting about these days. :pac:

Is this engine somehow related to the PSA HDI. Its the one that replaced the HDI in the mini isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thered a HDI in the Mini?

I'm losing track now, thats the new new Minis I presume?

Not HDI any more, bmw unit now.

It was toyota 1.4, PSA 1.6 , then bmw 1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is this an attempt at competing with Hyundai/Kia on price??

The Insignia, Mondeo and Passat are fleet favourites, whereas the Avensis was top of the retail pile.

One of the larger fleet companies has dozens of unwanted, undriven, unloved Insignia's in its car park with the new Mondeo and Passat on the scene.

ninty9er wrote: »

How do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not HDI any more, bmw unit now.

It was toyota 1.4, PSA 1.6 , then bmw 1.6

Its the PSA unit in the Toyota i think? The new diesel engine in the MINI and certain new BMW'S is a 3 cylinder 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

ninty9er wrote: »

The Insignia, Mondeo and Passat are fleet favourites, whereas the Avensis was top of the retail pile.

One of the larger fleet companies has dozens of unwanted, undriven, unloved Insignia's in its car park with the new Mondeo and Passat on the scene.

Are they base model insignia's ? Horrible yokes. Mid spec is lovely machine and I had one of them. Bit thirsty on diesel. The BIK on mid spec ones used to be steeper than it's competitors. Still think mid spec superb is best value and practical car all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

How do you mean?

Cut the price as the development cost has been pretty much amortised at this stage.

Its the PSA unit in the Toyota i think? The new diesel engine in the MINI and certain new BMW'S is a 3 cylinder 1.5

Bmw build the new 1.6 engine in the uk afaik

• Advertisement

It's not the same engine as the new MINI. The new MINI's 1.5 litre is 3 cylinder. The 1.6 litre Toyota is using is 4 cylinder and found in the 114d/116d and previous model MINI afaik.

Yeah, think they used it in the mini from 2011 or so.
    Just curious as to whether it was a rip off of the PSA engine, which ironically toyota use in the badge engineered proace.

What's even funnier is that Ford are replacing the 1.6 litre PSA engine as it won't meet Euro VI regulations.

Hopefully they replace it with something better.
    What's the craic with the ford 1.5 tdci in the fiesta, that's a development of the 1.6, seems odd to only shed 100cc, maybe that'll replace the 1.6?

That's slowly replacing the 1.6 in the Focus and Mondeo too. I guess they probably have a license agreement with PSA to produce/fit x number of 1.6 TDCi engines first.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BdaraB

Hopefully they replace it with something better.
    What's the craic with the ford 1.5 tdci in the fiesta, that's a development of the 1.6, seems odd to only shed 100cc, maybe that'll replace the 1.6?

It's to do with tax in China and India, lessens the retail price and the annual tax rate. It's the same reason why the 1.6 Ecoboost is being replaced with a 1.5 too.

On the topic of the Avensis anybody else remember the last time they facelifted it and said it was the biggest facelift they ever gave a car while it stayed pretty similar?

That was the 03 model, they facelifted it in 06 and called it the "remastered" avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This is one of the first times they've facelifted/reskinned a facelift.
    Same idea as the current lexus IS.

The IS is a completely new car. Rest of the older Lexus range just got the spindle nose. It is hard to get excited by the avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

God it must be soul destroying working in the Toyota design department. The company has all the engineering might in the world, yet wraps it in up such anodyne, bland, dross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Yeah, the donedeal ads in 10 years time!
    It'll be the Rover 75 all over again!
    I bet it'll end up as desirable as the Corollas fitted with the PSA diesel engines.

Advertisement