Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you vote in the Marriage Equality referendum? Mod Note Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

spikeS wrote: »
    Married couples always get priority, children and parent's act won't change that. So it's still harder to adopt as a guy couple unfortunately, once the referendum goes though that priority get evened.

You have a source for all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

Nodin wrote: »
    You have a source for all this?

They always said married couples get priority, if it's not true can you show it, gay couples won't get that priority till the referendum gets passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

floggg wrote: »
    Those examples don't make any sense.

Firstly, neither example bears any relationship to how our legal and political systems work.

Secondly, you aren't taking about rights or about discrimination. Just because you want to do something, doesn't mean you have the right to do it.

Driving on the right side of the road isn't a right. Neither is owning a gatling gun (in this country anyway).

In each case, the State has laid down particular rules which apply equally to all citizens without regard to race, colour, creed gender etc - but does rules don't infringe on anybody's rights.

It would have helped if you had read my entire post and read that I had called them two extreme examples.

In Ireland today, neither are applicable but if (and I am quoting you)
    "The constitution should be drafted in such a way so as to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority."

No matter how that is phrased in any constitution someone will use it as a justifiable reason to look for their own particular brand of what they think is acceptable.

I am not making any reference to LBGT or this referendum, just merely pointing out that when the Constitution is changed to reflect minority views, then it leaves it open to all different interpretations.

I never said it was a good thing, just that it leaves the Constitution more open to the "law of unintended consequences" that it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Flem31 wrote: »
    It would have helped if you had read my entire post and read that I had called them two extreme examples.

In Ireland today, neither are applicable but if (and I am quoting you)
    "The constitution should be drafted in such a way so as to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority."

No matter how that is phrased in any constitution someone will use it as a justifiable reason to look for their own particular brand of what they think is acceptable.

I am not making any reference to LBGT or this referendum, just merely pointing out that when the Constitution is changed to reflect minority views, then it leaves it open to all different interpretations.

I never said it was a good thing, just that it leaves the Constitution more open to the "law of unintended consequences" that it already is.
    Judging by the polls, the constitutional change reflects majority views.

Judge Liam McKechnie, ruling on a surrogacy custody battle some time ago, ruled that the biological mother was not the birth mother for the purposes of Article 41. In that context, the existing Constitution does not protect the biological parental link, contrary to what Iona are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Judging by the polls, the constitutional change reflects majority views.

Judge Liam McKechnie, ruling on a surrogacy custody battle some time ago, ruled that the biological mother was not the birth mother for the purposes of Article 41. In that context, the existing Constitution does not protect the biological parental link, contrary to what Iona are saying.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,820 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They always said married couples get priority, if it's not true can you show it, gay couples won't get that priority till the referendum gets passed.

Do you have a source for what you are saying?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm asking you to back up this post -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94059264&postcount=1241
    Do you have a source that backs it?

Apparently countries with marriage equality have lower rates of lone-parenthood.

http://www.gaire.com/db2-images/22566570_lone_parents.png

Do you, married couples get priority have you a source saying they will still discriminate once their is gay married couples?

Discrimination law means once they referendum comes in it will finally be equal when adopting, you cannot deny if the referendum passes gay couples will have a far easier time adopting, they can still adopt if the referendum fail but it will be way harder unfortunately

I'm asking you to back up this post -
    Do you have a source that backs it?

Do you have one they will be allowed to discrimate against gay married couples once the referendum passes? If it fails they won't be a married couple so will be behind a male/female married couple.

We need the referendum to pass for an equal adoption chance for gay couples

• Advertisement

Do you have one they will be allowed to discrimate against gay married couples once the referendum passes? If it fails they won't be a married couple so will be behind a male/female married couple.

You're the one making claims, not me. Please back it up.

You're the one making claims, not me. Please back it up.

Common logical sense, married couples get priority in adoption, if the referendum fails gay couples are not married and are a lower priority but if it passes anti discrimination law makes it so gay and straight married couples are equal and adoption is far easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Zen65 wrote: »
    Clearly you do not.

Either it is a rational argument, or it is not. If not, why not?

I found this persuasive:

http://goo.gl/U27D7W

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/fundamental-rights/files/networkcommentaryfinal_en.pdf
    Reviewing the situation in 2002, the Court observes that Article 12 secures the fundamental right of a man and woman to marry and to found a family. The second aspect is not however a condition of the first and the inability of any couple to conceive or parent a child cannot be regarded as per se removing their right to enjoy the first limb of this provision.

Do you, married couples get priority have you a source saying they will still discriminate once their is gay married couples?

Discrimination law means once they referendum comes in it will finally be equal when adopting, you cannot deny if the referendum passes gay couples will have a far easier time adopting, they can still adopt if the referendum fail but it will be way harder unfortunately

I will repeat my question

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Where is your source for claims about priority lists?

Terry Pratchet

Common logical sense, married couples get priority in adoption, if the referendum fails gay couples are not married and are a lower priority but if it passes anti discrimination law makes it so gay and straight married couples are equal and adoption is far easier.

Where is your source for the claims you are making?

Terry Pratchet

Where is your source for the claims you are making?

Can you show that the referendum passing won't make it easier to adopt as a married couple, why do you think it's a bad thing there will no discrimination if the referendum passes, it's another reason to vote yes equal adoption chances

Can you show that the referendum passing won't make it easier to adopt as a married couple, why do you think it's a bad thing there will no discrimination if the referendum passes, it's another reason to vote yes equal adoption chances

You're making claims. Provide sources for them.

Otherwise we can just assume they are absolute nonsense.

Terry Pratchet

You're making claims. Provide sources for them.

Otherwise we can just assume they are absolute nonsense.

aai.gov.ie/index.php/domestic-adoption/faq-domestic-adoption.html

Here you go, married people are first only after will others be considered, when lgbt people can finally marry they can apply for equal adoption, if it fails adoption will be extremely harder.

People need to know this as if the referendum fails it will be very hard for gay couples to adopt

Edit: Also I don't like being dog piled on this, I am trying to help so people know how voting no will hurt equality and yes side are the ones attacking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Speaking of which I'd really like to hear your response to me. An apology would suffice.

And why do I owe you an apology for how society at large as made you feel :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It really is entirely hypocritical of Breda O'Brien to argue against SSM on the basis of protecting the rights of the child by ensuring they have a mother and a father, while at the same time she would then prevent that very same child from having the right to marry their same sex partner as an adult. So the very child she is trying to ensure has the right to a mother and father, she will, depending on their sexual orientation, some day possibly argue they either should or should not have an equal right to marry.
    How anyone can say these people are not hiding behind latent homophobia is beyond me.

aai.gov.ie/index.php/domestic-adoption/faq-domestic-adoption.html

Here you go, married people are first only after will others be considered, when lgbt people can finally marry can they apply for equal adoption, if it fails adoption will be extremely harder.

People need to know this as if the referendum fails it will be very hard for gay couples to adopt

Yes a,b,c,d is a list

It is not a then b then c then d so your claims are nonsense.

Basically everything you've been saying about adoption in this thread is wrong.

Terry Pratchet

Yes a,b,c,d is a list

It is not a then b then c then d so your claims are nonsense.

Married couples have priority it says it in the faq, until the referendum passes it's extremely hard for a gay couple to adopt, once it passes and they are a married couple it becomes as easy a straight married couple.

The referendum needs to pass or otherwise it will be next to impossible to start a gay family with adoption. The referendum isn't needed for adoption but is needed for any chance of gay families getting a chance to adopt

Married couples have priority it says it in the faq, until the referendum passes it's extremely hard for a gay couple to adopt, once it passes and they are a married couple it becomes as easy a straight married couple.

The referendum needs to pass or otherwise it will be next to impossible to start a gay family with adoption. The referendum isn't needed for adoption but is needed for any chance of gay families getting a chance to adopt

Again No. You are making completely false statements. The FAQ doesnt say what you are saying at all. Plus the Children and family bill will change a lot of this.

You are talking complete and utter nonsense.

What you are saying is not true. You are spreading misinformation.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Here is #77 of the the Heads of the CHILDREN AND FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS
    BILL 2014 http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/General%20Scheme%20of%20a%20Children%20and%20Family%20Relationships%20Bill.pdf/Files/General%20Scheme%20of%20a%20Children%20and%20Family%20Relationships%20Bill.pdf

It is quite clear that if enacted - as it should be before the Referendum - the phrase 'or a couple who are civil partners of each other' {bold emphasis mine} will be inserted after the reference to married couples.
    This means that a couple who are married or a couple who are in a civil partnership may adopt as a couple. At no point does it state a married couple will be given preference.
    Head 77: Amendment of section 20, Authority’s power to make adoption order
    or recognise intercountry adoption effected outside the State
    Provide along the following lines:
    Section 20 of the Adoption Act 2010 is amended –
    (a) in subsection (1), by the insertion after “married couple” of “or a
    couple who are civil partners of each other”; and
    (b) in subsection (3), by the insertion after “married couple” of “or a
    couple who are civil partners of each other”.

Now please stop spreading misinformation.

The Referendum on Same-Sex Marriage will decide if couples of the same gender can get married. Nothing more, nothing less.

Legislation will already have been enacted to allow couples in a Civil Partnership to adopt as a couple under the exact same criteria as applied to married couples.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Here is #77 of the the Heads of the CHILDREN AND FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS
    BILL 2014 justice.ie/en/JELR/General%20Scheme%20of%20a%20Children%20and%20Family%20Relationships%20Bill.pdf/Files/General%20Scheme%20of%20a%20Children%20and%20Family%20Relationships%20Bill.pdf

It is quite clear that if enacted - as it should be before the Referendum - the phrase 'or a couple who are civil partners of each other' {bold emphasis mine} will be inserted after the reference to married couples.
    This means that a couple who are married or a couple who are in a civil partnership may adopt as a couple. At no point does it state a married couple will be given preference.

Now please stop spreading misinformation.

The Referendum on Same-Sex Marriage will decide if couples of the same gender can get married. Nothing more, nothing less.

Legislation will already have been enacted to allow couples in a Civil Partnership to adopt as a couple under the exact same criteria as applied to married couples.

The wording uses married cp is not married, until the referendum passes they are behind married couples for adoption.

The Marriage equality referendum is not about adoption but it passing will have an effect on gay people being allowed to adopt easier and that's a good thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The wording uses married cp is not married, until the referendum passes they are behind married couples for adoption.

The Marriage equality referendum is not about adoption but it passing will have an effect on gay people being allowed to adopt easier and that's a good thing.

Sweetest divine!

It clearly says 'Married OR in a civil partnership' - I even highlighted the OR. This puts Married and Civil Partnered on an equal basis.

They have to write it that way as it will be enacted before the effin referendum is held!

No.

You are spreading misinformation.

There is no priority list.

Terry Pratchet

Some links to surveys which find no damage to children from being raised by same-sex couples.

American Psychological Association.

Boston University, and the National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study here.

• Advertisement

Some links to surveys which find no damage to children from being raised by same-sex couples.

These studies usually have a degree of bias there are ones that show the reverse, be careful posting studies as fact as research bias a very real thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement