Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Shane07 wrote: »
    There will be one of the concrete towers left as there is preservation order on it from what I heard!

i heard or read in N&S its not one of the towers but a building behind it, by behind, i presume they mean on Fbank side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The bridge would have to be either lifting or swivel and that is why one is unlikely to be built. No point in inviting cruise ship in if they can't get them up to where the silos are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Relocate the station there (out of the floods) with retail and office space above, integrated with relocated bus station, footbridge to town, big statue of ow do....

We can but dream!

Moving it there is all well and good but trains will not be able to get into it because of flooding, station isn't the real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/udf-lap/UrbanDesignFrameworkPlanR2.pdf

The 2008 plans are here. No reason why the same planning framework can't continue with apt/office blocks of 8 storeys being the norm. The bridge will connect Barronstrand street with the northside. Of course all this means eliminating quay side parking in favour of a pedestrian plaza + the odd outdoor market.

All seems very decent and great way for the city to develop without any suburbanisation. I would say the council should focus soley on this planning scheme and just refuse any further outward expansion of suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There will be one of the concrete towers left as there is preservation order on it from what I heard!

Please God no. The sooner those buildings are all nuked with extreme prejudice, the better for everyone. Disgusting eyesores is what they are. Justice for the rat population though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

My Guess it would be larger building in the picture below that is staying ( this is behind the current front building which used to have the large poster on it)

P_WP_1793.jpg

P_WP_1792.jpg

Out of interest here is the same building getting built

P_WP_4024.jpg

All pictures are from the Poole Collection at the National Library

Add a bit of positive thinking and planning and it could be converted to something like this Opera house in Marseille / Le Silo Marseille

Or one any of the many examples on Google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I've heard this story before its a protected structure, I've gone through the list on the council's site and it is not listed.
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/departments/planning/conservation.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I've heard this story before its a protected structure, I've gone through the list on the council's site and it is not listed.
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/departments/planning/conservation.htm

Maybe not protected but its listed in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage records.
    R. and H. Hall Flour Mills, Dock Road, Waterford, County Waterford

22900908_1.jpg

Reg. No. 22900908
    Date 1900 - 1910
    Previous Name N/A
    County County Waterford
    Coordinates 260852, 112856
    Categories of Special Interest ARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL
    Rating National
    Original Use store/warehouse

Description
    Attached ten-bay nine-storey reinforced-concrete flat-roofed warehouse, built 1905, originally detached. Now disused. Flat concrete roof behind cornice parapet with steel railings over. Unpainted roughcast walls over reinforced concrete construction with rendered dressings including three-storey piers to ground, first and second floor, two-storey piers to each two-storey section over on moulded stringcourses, horizontal bands to each floor, and moulded cornice to top floor. Square-headed window openings with no sills, and steel casement windows. Interior with reinforced concrete floors, and concrete beams on concrete piers having chamfered corners. Set back from line of road.

Appraisal
    An imposing building of national importance forming the centrepiece of an industrial complex located on the north wharf in Waterford City. Designed by William Friel (n. d.) employing an innovative construction system developed by François Hennebique (1842 - 1921) in 1892, the warehouse was only the second such building erected in the island of Ireland (a contemporary building survives in Belfast). Advanced construction techniques are masked by rendered details, producing a strikingly Modern geometric design, a distinctive feature in the landscape. Originally standing alone on the riverside, much of the dramatic impact of the warehouse has been compromised by the systematic development of the adjacent sites throughout the twentieth century.

great pics Jambo, it would take a lot of money to do up that block.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sometimes we have to be careful about what we call to be demolished,

Remember that in the 1960's many structures were knocked down in the belief that they looked like crap, were unsuitable and/or could not be modernised, today we see many of the structures that replaced them as eyesores that never should have been built.

We potentially risk the same happening again, I'm sure many people saw the old crane on the quays as an eyesore at one time but yet it adds character to the quays and I doubt many would want it knocked now.

Which looks better, the modern waterford station
    waterford_city_railway_station_004.jpg

or

The old station
    waterford_northstation.jpg

Whilst the old mill buildings may not look great now, in the right surroundings and if cleaned up and in use they could look just fine.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »

Remember that in the 1960's many structures were knocked down in the belief that they looked like crap, today we see many of the structures that replaced them as eyesores.

We risk the same happening again, I'm sure many people saw the old crane on the quays as an eyesore but yet it adds character to the quays and without a doubt it should never be knocked.

or

The old station

I don't think you will get anyone arguing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Cabaal wrote: »

Remember that in the 1960's many structures were knocked down in the belief that they looked like crap, were unsuitable and/or could not be modernised, today we see many of the structures that replaced them as eyesores that never should have been built.

We potentially risk the same happening again, I'm sure many people saw the old crane on the quays as an eyesore at one time but yet it adds character to the quays and I doubt many would want it knocked now.

or

The old station

Whilst the old mill buildings may not look great now, in the right surroundings and if cleaned up and in use they could look just fine.

Very well said. Bishop Foys School on The Mall and the Old jail up on Ballybricken (well at least the front of it) are two more examples I could think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

BBM77 wrote: »
    Very well said. Bishop Foys School on The Mall and the Old jail up on Ballybricken (well at least the front of it) are two more examples I could think of.

You could add to that the Fanning Institute (I think that was the name; it was before my time) which stood where the Tax Office is now, in the Glen.

At least the Tax Office was improved about 10 years ago. It had been the mother of all eyesores up until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Some absolutely shocking buildings were put up in Ireland in the 60s/70s. They just got Rectangle into their head and ran with it

Cabaal...are you suggesting the silos and that rat-infested box have some great visual merit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No just the RH building.
    Appraisal
    An imposing building of national importance forming the centrepiece of an industrial complex located on the north wharf in Waterford City. Designed by William Friel (n. d.) employing an innovative construction system developed by François Hennebique (1842 - 1921) in 1892, the warehouse was only the second such building erected in the island of Ireland (a contemporary building survives in Belfast). Advanced construction techniques are masked by rendered details, producing a strikingly Modern geometric design, a distinctive feature in the landscape. Originally standing alone on the riverside, much of the dramatic impact of the warehouse has been compromised by the systematic development of the adjacent sites throughout the twentieth century.

Maybe when it is back to being there on its own, it will be appreciated more.

I remember the granary on the quay when it was a building salvage type shop. It looked as if it was about to fall into the building next door, now they make the quay what it is.

Has anyone any pics of the silos? can you gain access?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    No just the RH building.

Maybe when it is back to being there on its own, it will be appreciated more.

I remember the granary on the quay when it was a building salvage type shop. It looked as if it was about to fall into the building next door, now they make the quay what it is.

Has anyone any pics of the silos? can you gain access?

U cannot gain access legally....

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/92219-R-amp-H-Hall-Flour-Mills-Waterford-Ireland-September-2014

^^^ see link for pics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Briliant photos, I was showing my family who all played on the docks growing up. The more I see the more I think parts are worth saving, even just the wood in the pictures is really beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

dzilla wrote: »

Picture 8 is pretty scary. Imagine having an interview there :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

RTÉ programme about Waterford Quay: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10375216/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Any word on when demolition is starting? This months sometime?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

We'll all be down there for the detonation!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I'm sure they'll just be hacking away at it with chisels. Watch this space, in 6 months we'll be giving out about all the rubble and how it's a bigger eye sore than the silos ever were.

I'm sure they'll just be hacking away at it with chisels. Watch this space, in 6 months we'll be giving out about all the rubble and how it's a bigger eye sore than the silos ever were.

I would imagine it will be taken down by long reach excavators with shears onto a sand bed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I was being facetious but I think my prediction will at least half come true in time.

I just want a big explosion! :D

was only thinking about this this morning but unfortuantely there will be no big explosion or wrecking ball prob just a couple of excavators hacking away at it.

Im kinda changing my mind on them leaving the old reinforced concrete 6/7 storey block, I originally thought; knock it all, however it has potential in a industrial type way and could look great when combined with some newer type buildings. Might change my mind again when we can see rest of it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I’m open to correction on this but surely they are not going to leave a pile of concrete rubble on the site. The whole point is to improve the appearance of the site. Sure this would defeat that purpose. I’d imagine that the concrete and scrap metal will be sold to cover part of the cost.
    Max Powers wrote: »
    ...Im kinda changing my mind on them leaving the old reinforced concrete 6/7 storey block, I originally thought; knock it all, however it has potential in a industrial type way and could look great when combined with some newer type buildings. Might change my mind again when we can see rest of it gone.

This is the reason that I and others have been arguing that this building should be keep. Once it gone it is gone forever. Waterford people have a problem in not seeing the value in anything we have. We have lost many fine buildings because of this attitude. There is no reason that this building could not become an office block or something. When the site is cleared and this building is standing on its own people will see the potential it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

The 9 storey building is the only one being left as there is a preservation order on it! I agree this could be turned into a fine office or apartment block!

Advertisement