Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish adverts depicting men as stupid and women as clever

Options
  • 28-01-2015 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭

I've had enough of this. I've seen it a lot over the years. The latest one is the bloke who is acting like Gollum from Lord Of The Rings. He's logged on to about ten laptops researching the cheapest hotel prices. Then his clever wife says "just go to Hotels Combined.ie". He is hanging upside down at one stage as well, a bit like a baboon. There are also other adverts like this.
    If the boot was on the other foot, there would be WAR

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Complain to the Advertising Standards Authority. If the boot was on the other foot, women would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This happens everywhere - woman resourceful in the home and at work, making choices for the family when shopping while dad is an idiot to be laughed at or the subject of pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I've had enough of this. I've seen it a lot over the years. The latest one is the bloke who is acting like Gollum from Lord Of The Rings. He's logged on to about ten laptops researching the cheapest hotel prices. Then his clever wife says "just go to Hotel Deals.ie". He is hanging upside down at one stage as well, a bit like a baboon. There are also other adverts like this.

Wasn't that originally Hotels Combined? That was a British ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

DONAL!!!!

Poor bollix.

DONAL!!!!

That one really pisses me off. Not just because he's depicted as stupid, but because I can't help but think, "Why the fcuk can't she do this stuff herself!?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭the nikkei is rising

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Jaxxy wrote: »
    That one really pisses me off. Not just because he's depicted as stupid, but because I can't help but think, "Why the fcuk can't she do this stuff herself!?"

because shes a wom.....woooah nearly fell for it

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

Oh come on, they are cheesy ads not an organised misandry attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

That's obviously wrong ,were clever !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

"He drives, she dies".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I agree with the OP. Mentioned it to my wife on many occasions over the last year while watching TV. So many ads where men are just depicted as buffoons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Imagine there was an ad for van insurance or some sort solely for men, and it featured say a national sporting figure along the lines of BOD or Tommy Bowe, where they were explaining why they were better drivers than the opposite sex. In a badly acted, almost terrifying tone.

That'd be sexist though so it'd never air.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I particularly hate the Katie Taylor reverse sexism advert for women only insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's march on whatever building they sit in that has done us this injustice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Lads, ye do actually realise that the stereotypes being enforced in these ads actually work out ok for men. If women weren't constantly being bombarded with propaganda regarding male domestic incompetence they'd probably ask/tell men to do more around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

What about this its4women.ie car insurance ad that makes the women look like stupid pillocks and it is an ad for a product for women - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5C_shkwtE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

spurious wrote: »
    If the boot was on the other foot, women would.

They're so much smarter than us! Damn them! :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This happens everywhere - woman resourceful in the home and at work, making choices for the family when shopping while dad is an idiot to be laughed at or the subject of pity.
    And the number one reason? Women are the market being targeted, simply because they make the majority of household purchase choices on average and they're more likely to buy into it too. After all they've been groomed for it for generations with fashion and guff* designed to make them feel inadequate so they feel the need to buy ever more crap to offset that(Men are more targeted with the "Authentic" buzzword which is equally crap in 99% of cases). The "daft man" thing is just an easy sop for the sheep among said demographic to engender ideas of empowerment. I'd not be too non plussed about it TBH. What such ads are actually saying is women(tm) buy into this guff, so that's the guff we'll promote.

*you're too old, fat, ugly with bad hair, buy our product and you'll be saved, for this "season" at least. Oh and in case you spot this, we'll wheel out the you're a "real woman" nonsense. Here comes the science bit and all that shíte. I reckon women(tm) are more vulnerable to this kinda thing as they're more socially aware and peer based than men and from an earlier age too. There's generally more "fitting in" going on, so the thought of not fitting in is felt more keenly in women than in men. Again and obviously as a very general vibe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

batnolan wrote: »
    They're constant though. They're not just Irish either.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Lads, ye do actually realise that the stereotypes being enforced in these ads actually work out ok for men. If women weren't constantly being bombarded with propaganda regarding male domestic incompetence they'd probably ask/tell men to do more around the house.

Housework should be shared equally. Nobody likes doing it, but everyone CAN do it, that's the point.

One of the worst advertisements I've ever seen that propagated this was a recent enough VHI ad. The lady was yammering on about how she went into labour with twins, there were complications and she had an extended hospital stay. Her poor husband, according to her, was left alone at home to fend for himself, while the animation depicted the poor chap holding a sweeping brush in one hand and a frying pan in the other, question marks flying around his head to suggest his obvious confusion at the prospect of having to complete a few regular household tasks.

Absolutely hated that ad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Ignore it, not worth getting into a huff over just be confident that your bright enough to not be a stereotype because those types of individuals do exist out in the world.

Those ads insult both genders by implying that women know more about household stuff than men, and that's what women are good at because that's their department alone. Everyone should complain about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

batnolan wrote: »

Maybe, but were the shoe on the other foot they'd be decried as a misogynistic attack and heaven and earth would be moved to get them pulled.

I think what gets to people is not the ads in and of themselves but the fact it's all a one way street and the hypocrisy involved in how ads that are perceived to be demeaning to women are treated versus how ads that could be perceived to be demeaning to men are treated.

Taking the piss out of women is a hate attack (Nuts magazine) while doing it to men is fair game (countless ads). Objectifying women (Hunky Dorys) is a blight on society while objectifying men (Diet Coke) is good, hot fun.

I'm not calling for any censorship or the sterilization of television to such an extent it's rendered beige and inoffensive.

What I would like to see is an equal opportunities, gentle mocking of both genders and some originality in ads beyond the cliched "clever woman, gormless man" cliche that abounds these days.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wibbs wrote: »
    And the number one reason? Women are the market being targeted, simply because they make the majority of household purchase choices on average and they're more likely to buy into it too. After all they've been groomed for it for generations with fashion and guff* designed to make them feel inadequate so they feel the need to buy ever more crap to offset that(Men are more targeted with the "Authentic" buzzword which is equally crap in 99% of cases). The "daft man" thing is just an easy sop for the sheep among said demographic to engender ideas of empowerment. I'd not be too non plussed about it TBH. What such ads are actually saying is women(tm) buy into this guff, so that's the guff we'll promote.

*you're too old, fat, ugly with bad hair, buy our product and you'll be saved, for this "season" at least. Oh and in case you spot this, we'll wheel out the you're a "real woman" nonsense. Here comes the science bit and all that shíte. I reckon women(tm) are more vulnerable to this kinda thing as they're more socially aware and peer based than men and from an earlier age too. There's generally more "fitting in" going on, so the thought of not fitting in is felt more keenly in women than in men. Again and obviously as a very general vibe.

You've reminded me of this rather brilliant sketch

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I've had enough of this. I've seen it a lot over the years. The latest one is the bloke who is acting like Gollum from Lord Of The Rings. He's logged on to about ten laptops researching the cheapest hotel prices. Then his clever wife says "just go to Hotel Deals.ie". He is hanging upside down at one stage as well, a bit like a baboon. There are also other adverts like this.

Women make the majority of purchase decisions. The real question is, why are you even watching television anymore as a man, seeing as probably 99% of the shows and advertisements are geared for women. It has been this case for at least a decade if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Housework should be shared equally. Nobody likes doing it, but everyone CAN do it, that's the point.

One of the worst advertisements I've ever seen that propagated this was a recent enough VHI ad. The lady was yammering on about how she went into labour with twins, there were complications and she had an extended hospital stay. Her poor husband, according to her, was left alone at home to fend for himself, while the animation depicted the poor chap holding a sweeping brush in one hand and a frying pan in the other, question marks flying around his head to suggest his obvious confusion at the prospect of having to complete a few regular household tasks.

I like doing housework.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

They simply depicting the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

To be fair the amount of exaggeration in that ad was so extreme that I think most people would just see it as a joke. It's the subtler forms of stereotyping that tend to stick in the subconscious more. While there's certainly plenty of lazy/crap at cooking men around I don't think any man left to his own devices wouldn't be able to at least make a stab at cooking up some sausages & sweep the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

They're constant though. They're not just Irish either.

You would have to wonder what sort of effect it is having on the young minds of tomorrow. Your father, uncle, brother are buffoons, the women in your life are competent and reliable.

• Advertisement

Letree wrote: »
    You would have to wonder what sort of effect it is having on the young minds of tomorrow. Your father, uncle, brother are buffoons, the women in your life are competent and reliable.

The effect is that men have no business doing anything around the house because that's what women are good at and old stereotypes are once more reinforced.

Advertisement