Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gay accommodation Dublin

Options
  • 16-01-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi everyone!!!
    Can someone tell me what are best ways to find gay apartment share in Dublin? tried Daft and Gaire but can't find anything on there that suits me! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ShallowB

I just typed in gay or gay friendly as the key word in the advanced option for sharing, on daft. Usually a few options would come up.. but honestly it wasn't much to go on!! And unfortunately I couldn't find a place before I had to settle for somewhere to live.. Hope you have better luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

The rental market in Dublin is quite tough now for anybody. I wouldnt limit myself to gay shares but just mention you were gay at the viewing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'd say lot of people capable of putting an ad on daft, hopefully the majority, wouldn't have even considered this as a stipulation or selling point. I've never had to put an ad on daft but did for somebody else, the thought of adding anything about sexuality never even crossed my mind (or theirs, and they are an older generation). I'd also not feel it necessary, important or good manners for somebody to tell me on viewing. Viewing and meeting the people you may live with is about both parties getting an impression of the other, homosexual isn't an impression I'd have of somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cormie wrote: »
    I'd say lot of people capable of putting an ad on daft, hopefully the majority, wouldn't have even considered this as a stipulation or selling point. I've never had to put an ad on daft but did for somebody else, the thought of adding anything about sexuality never even crossed my mind (or theirs, and they are an older generation). I'd also not feel it necessary, important or good manners for somebody to tell me on viewing. Viewing and meeting the people you may live with is about both parties getting an impression of the other, homosexual isn't an impression I'd have of somebody.

Fair enough. You dont find it necessary.
    lots of lgbt people do.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Personally I think you are better off not trying to segregate yourself from the rest of the population. There are going to be much less options if you only look for things marked as gay friendly. Personally if somebody mentioned their sexuality to me when viewing a room/house I would assume they are going to be a difficult Tennant. It is completely irrelevant to where you rent.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Personally I think you are better off not trying to segregate yourself from the rest of the population. There are going to be much less options if you only look for things marked as gay friendly. Personally if somebody mentioned their sexuality to me when viewing a room/house I would assume they are going to be a difficult Tennant. It is completely irrelevant to where you rent.

I dont think it is completely irrelevant to where you rent if you end up living with homophobic or transphobic people. This isnt about segregation. Its about living with someone that you can feel comfortable living with.

I think for some people who are heterosexual and cisgender this may be difficult to understand as they may never have experienced sexual orientation or gender identity discrimination.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Fair enough. You dont find it necessary.
    lots of lgbt people do.

Right, the same way a vegetarian might prefer to stay with other vegetarians as they may have more in common when it comes to diet etc. This is fine, the difficulties come when the vegetarian may have a problem with the people they move in with eating meat, or the other way around. I think it's safe to assume that if it's not mentioned, it's probably acceptable as long as both parties can coexist with the others choices and preferences without judgement.

The op does mention a gay apartment share so I guess if that's their ideal, that's fine, but if they are just looking for somewhere they'll be accepted, not to rule out anywhere that doesn't mention sexuality. You still run the same risk of moving in with assholes and bigots as anyone else.

cormie wrote: »
    Right, the same way a vegetarian might prefer to stay with other vegetarians as they may have more in common when it comes to diet etc. This is fine, the difficulties come when the vegetarian may have a problem with the people they move in with eating meat, or the other way around. I think it's safe to assume that if it's not mentioned, it's probably acceptable as long as both parties can coexist with the others choices and preferences without judgement.

The op does mention a gay apartment share so I guess if that's their ideal, that's fine, but if they are just looking for somewhere they'll be accepted, not to rule out anywhere that doesn't mention sexuality. You still run the same risk of moving in with assholes and bigots as anyone else.

Why does it matter? Who are we to judge the op for his or her living preferences?

Terry Pratchet

Why does it matter? Who are we to judge the op for his or her living preferences?

Why does what matter? I said it's fine that people have their preferences. I gave a point of view and advice in the case where the op may feel risk of discrimination just because an ad doesn't mention acceptance of sexuality if they are stuck for accommodation, as opposed to actively seeking a gay house share. No arguments, no judgement. That's not what I use boards for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

So you have nothing better to say than "I don't give a **** about how I have made you feel"

For somebody who moderates a form where sensitivity to the feelings of others is needed you are really ****ing insensitive.

Why not stick to the topic at hand GarIT and let's try to help the op.

OP you say you didn't find anything that suits you, what did you find and what was wrong with it/them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Of all the post on this thread, I am the only person that offered advice or received any thanks. Really who is it that is not sticking to the topic at hand? I am the only posted that has actually offered any reasonable help to the OP. Do some reading before you name people.

Giving practical advice at the start of the thread is not the same thing as continually dragging it off topic later, also I do not care at all about how many thanks you have, or your 5,000th post

I have reported your PM too

:D

Ive moved the cisgender discussion to a separate thread

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

Lot of shared rooms or location doesn't suit me 😊 haven't found many options on daft.... I've lived with people before many years straight people reason I now prefer gay house share is a homophobic fella moved in found out I was gay from other housemate and created lots and lots of drama which I'd much prefer to avoid re living!!!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Lot of shared rooms or location doesn't suit me 😊 haven't found many options on daft.... I've lived with people before many years straight people reason I now prefer gay house share is a homophobic fella moved in found out I was gay from other housemate and created lots and lots of drama which I'd much prefer to avoid re living!!!! 😂

I think the easiest way to avoid such issues is to casually mention it in the interview (e.g. My boyfriend will stay over with me every now and then, I assume that's not a problem?).

That way, everybody concerned can make an informed decision without making a big deal out of it.

Sure, you shouldn't have to bring it up or let it be an issue, but it's better to have a possibly awkward moment in the interview stage and be rejected as a result then unwittingly move in with a homophobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

As stereotypical as this is (and I say it tongue in cheek) anywhere that's owned/rented by twenty-somethings and looks fabulous you can probably put a fairly good bet on the subject. Had occasion to see what room shares where going for in Raheny recently and I've downloaded most of the pics from the 'gay-friendly' places as inspiration!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

An intresting thread regarding coming out when viewing apartments might be food for thought for those who think its irrelevant

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056893729

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My friend advertises for flatmates (genuine) on gcn if they need to replace someone moving out. They used to have a section on their website

Advertisement