Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will Petrol be coming down here in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

we need to remove some of the tax!
    Now it's over 60% bloody tax at the pumps.
    Can't see it happening when prices are falling anyway - seeing as they wouldn't reduce it when it was at (what I would regard as) economy damaging levels previously. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

I was reading a german article where the price of E10 is not coming down as quickly because Ethanol isn't dropping in price. In Germany E10 is being pushed as being better for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

uh-oh maths fail in my first post!

€1/L
    VAT = ~19c
    Pretax Petrol = ~81c
    Duty etc = ~60c
    Pre tax, pre duty Petrol = 21c/L

Basically the government are ripping us off more than any sheikh. Due to duties etc, the pretax pre duty price of petrol would have to halve to bring it to €1 for us at the pump, and almost halve again to go to €0.90. (Assuming no more maths fails!)

€1.23/L
    VAT 23c
    Pretax Petrol = €1
    duty etc ~60c
    Pretax pre duty petrol = 40c

€0.90/L
    VAT~17c
    Pretax Petrol ~ 73c
    duty etc ~60c
    Pretax pre duty petrol ~ 13c

I still find quotes like this interesting. Let's say the government halved the the tax on petrol, where would they find this shortfall in tax or where would they make cuts to save the money they no longer took in.
    Think of it as Ireland PLC, we're all part of it.

...and this invalidates the post you quoted how???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Im out doing some work in Texas atm. "Gas" is $1.76 a gallon here.
    About 39cent a liter. Madness

Not quite US gallon is approx 3.8 liters not 4.5l liters.
    Because their pints is 473ml instead of 568ml

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=US+gallon

Making it about 46.5c a litre. Still a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement

How with regard to the price of petrol in the USA and Canada do you factor in the octane? I think when I was in Canada it was 85 or 87 oct petrol, would that make it cheaper to produce than our higher octane petrol here? I know that the lower octane would affect power of the car, but would it also affect the mpg of the car too?

...and this invalidates the post you quoted how???

Because I'd see the government as taking our money to spend and share out among us. So while more is been taken off us, more is than there to be shared out among us.
    So I suppose I would take calling it as being ripped off as not really true. We could say as motorist we'd prefer if we hadn't quite so much taken off us. But it's not like the money is taken and we see no benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Because I'd see the government as taking our money to spend and share out among us. So while more is been taken off us, more is than there to be shared out among us.
    So I suppose I would take calling it as being ripped off as not really true. We could say as motorist we'd prefer if we hadn't quite so much taken off us. But it's not like the money is taken and we see no benefit from it.

Tax and spend, never worked as economic policy.
    Too many spongers on the take, too many corrupt politicians on the take.

Cut and slash works better, favors those in employment who contribute in the first place.

Not that that is much to do with gas prices

I replied to previous posts in the context of those posts - "ripoff" "price fixing" etc. As the few relatively normal people on internet forums do.

If you have a problem with those terms please quote the original poster who introduced them to the thread or leave out the sarky "really" "and "I still find quotes like this interesting."

In the context of "price fixing" and "ripoffs" my calculations show that the dominant price fixer is the government. If the fixed cost per litre was €1, €2, €10 - would it still be "our money for us", all nice warm and fuzzy, or would it be a rip off?

Tax and spend, never worked as economic policy.
    Too many spongers on the take, too many corrupt politicians on the take.

Cut and slash works better, favors those in employment who contribute in the first place.

Not that that is much to do with gas prices

See this is interesting too, the language used, spongers, are we really a nation of spongers, do those without a job still not pay tax on petrol too? And every other tax bar income tax nearly? Countries like Norway Sweden Finland have very high taxes but they get great services, but I think we are too worried about spongers here for that.
    How much of your tax money is actually going into corrupt politicians bank accounts? I do take the point there have been cases of expense account fraud etc, but really is that a high % of the tax revenue going missing or more just a judgement of the character of certain politicians.

• Advertisement

See this is interesting too, the language used, spongers, are we really a nation of spongers, do those without a job still not pay tax on petrol too? And every other tax bar income tax nearly? Countries like Norway Sweden Finland have very high taxes but they get great services, but I think we are too worried about spongers here for that.
    How much of your tax money is actually going into corrupt politicians bank accounts? I do take the point there have been cases of expense account fraud etc, but really is that a high % of the tax revenue going missing or more just a judgement of the character of certain politicians.

It's a judgement that we spend approx 40% of total tax take on the sw bill. We have corrupt politicians and quangos.
    Politically I'm about as right of center as can be. But still I don't see the reason to be propping up the neuveau riche classes (lifetime dolers) with 188 p/w plus practically free houses plus other incentives including the incentive to reproduce unwanted, unnecessary children in the low socio-economic areas, with a monthly repayment to the parent of said children.

All being paid for by the generous tax payer in full time employment. Is that why my marginal tax rate is over 50%? Really? And that's why I'm paying over 50% of taxes on petrol when I have already paid tax on the money in the first place?

TLDR: Cleveland despises bearded lefties.
    TLDRTLDR: This is not related to the thread.

Whats a rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

How with regard to the price of petrol in the USA and Canada do you factor in the octane? I think when I was in Canada it was 85 or 87 oct petrol, would that make it cheaper to produce than our higher octane petrol here? I know that the lower octane would affect power of the car, but would it also affect the mpg of the car too?

long reply shortened.

they rate octane differently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not quite US gallon is approx 3.8 liters not 4.5l liters.
    Because their pints is 473ml instead of 568ml

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=US+gallon

Making it about 46.5c a litre. Still a hell of a lot cheaper.

Im talking Euro cent, not US cents. Im fully aware of the US gallon.

It's a judgement that we spend approx 40% of total tax take on the sw bill. We have corrupt politicians and quangos.
    Politically I'm about as right of center as can be. But still I don't see the reason to be propping up the neuveau riche classes (lifetime dolers) with 188 p/w plus practically free houses plus other incentives including the incentive to reproduce unwanted, unnecessary children in the low socio-economic areas, with a monthly repayment to the parent of said children.

All being paid for by the generous tax payer in full time employment. Is that why my marginal tax rate is over 50%? Really? And that's why I'm paying over 50% of taxes on petrol when I have already paid tax on the money in the first place?

TLDR: Cleveland despises bearded lefties.
    TLDRTLDR: This is not related to the thread.

Whats a rant?

Them views are just not based on facts so much as notions. Define corrupt politician, how many are corrupt?
    My mother got child benefit for years and we didn't need it.
    SW doesn't mean dole, it's pensions, it's illness payments, it's disability payments, it's rent allowance to people who might otherwise be homeless. New rich on 188 a week? If you'd no mortgage or rent would you like no job and 188 a week?
    I'm not saying those people on dole as a way of life aren't out there, I just think it's is probably over estimated the number of people who do this.
    I also do wonder, so there are only a certain number of jobs out there, so is the number on the dole not more a mirror of how many jobs are out there?
    Not sure if I've explained that right or it's a sensible statement to make. Suppose what I'm saying is, lets say half the people on the dole are not looking for work. Let's say 100% of people on the dole actively look for work for the next 2 months, would the numbers on the dole not be more or less the same, because the same number of jobs are there, as in just because more people look doesn't mean there will be more jobs out there for them.

Them views are just not based on facts so much as notions. Define corrupt politician, how many are corrupt?
    My mother got child benefit for years and we didn't need it.
    SW doesn't mean dole, it's pensions, it's illness payments, it's disability payments, it's rent allowance to people who might otherwise be homeless. New rich on 188 a week? If you'd no mortgage or rent would you like no job and 188 a week?
    I'm not saying those people on dole as a way of life aren't out there, I just think it's is probably over estimated the number of people who do this.
    I also do wonder, so there are only a certain number of jobs out there, so is the number on the dole not more a mirror of how many jobs are out there?
    Not sure if I've explained that right or it's a sensible statement to make. Suppose what I'm saying is, lets say half the people on the dole are not looking for work. Let's say 100% of people on the dole actively look for work for the next 2 months, would the numbers on the dole not be more or less the same, because the same number of jobs are there, as in just because more people look doesn't mean there will be more jobs out there for them.
    That's a very simplistic viewpoint to have, and one which is reactive as opposed to proactive.

There are less jobs because the social welfare "pay packet" for long term dolers is way too high compared with the minimum wage.
    Make it less attractive to sit on the dole and people will find work.

It's also simplistic to laugh at my new rich comment with regards to SW payments. There's not just the basic payment, there's lone parent's allowance, there's medical cards, fuel allowance, travel passes etc etc.
    Meaning that for a lot of lifers the 188 goes on pubs, paddy power and smokes.

Regarding child benefit, I am of the view that it should be taxable only. Meaning that it is not given to those that don't need it.

The two main expenses in the SW budget are JSA/JSB and pensions. Pensions are too high in my opinion thanks to Bertie's buying of the grey vote and no subsequent political leaders having the cajones to do anything about it. At least most of the pensioners worked and deserve a pension in their old age. What do long term JSA recipients offer the country? Nothing.

Are you Joe Higgins in disguise?

Is this motors related?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Back on topic, Cork takes the cake as usual. Last night I drove past a couple of stations that were selling above 1.30 (1.339 if I recall correctly). Didn't check this morning, but I'd be surprised if the pumps near the offices and schools lowered their prices below 1.30.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Back on topic, Cork takes the cake as usual. Last night I drove past a couple of stations that were selling above 1.30 (1.339 if I recall correctly). Didn't check this morning, but I'd be surprised if the pumps near the offices and schools lowered their prices below 1.30.

Around Navan we're still at 1.33-1.35 for petrol and 1.29-1.33 for diesel.
    It's as if we are so backward that we are behind the rest of the country by about 2 weeks so we don't know that the prices should be dropped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Around Navan we're still at 1.33-1.35 for petrol and 1.29-1.33 for diesel.
    It's as if we are so backward that we are behind the rest of the country by about 2 weeks so we don't know that the prices should be dropped!
    Well, for what its worth, i know people that would consider going from the navan area to drogheda a big trip. They wouldnt even go all the way to the town centre to park and would park on the outskirts and walk into town. Out of fear of the big schmoke!
    So it doesn't surprise me in the least that fuel prices are high in navan.
    What the market will bear and all.

That's a very simplistic viewpoint to have, and one which is reactive as opposed to proactive.

There are less jobs because the social welfare "pay packet" for long term dolers is way too high compared with the minimum wage.
    Make it less attractive to sit on the dole and people will find work.

It's also simplistic to laugh at my new rich comment with regards to SW payments. There's not just the basic payment, there's lone parent's allowance, there's medical cards, fuel allowance, travel passes etc etc.
    Meaning that for a lot of lifers the 188 goes on pubs, paddy power and smokes.

Regarding child benefit, I am of the view that it should be taxable only. Meaning that it is not given to those that don't need it.

The two main expenses in the SW budget are JSA/JSB and pensions. Pensions are too high in my opinion thanks to Bertie's buying of the grey vote and no subsequent political leaders having the cajones to do anything about it. At least most of the pensioners worked and deserve a pension in their old age. What do long term JSA recipients offer the country? Nothing.

Are you Joe Higgins in disguise?

Is this motors related?

But if we cut the dole to 100 euro in the morning, while we'd have more people looking for jobs we wouldn't have more jobs out there, that is all I am saying. I do know some people who retired to go on the dole, I totally disagree with this. It's there as a support if you can't find a job or are retraining to find a job.
    I suppose it depends what you call rich, I'm not laughing, just saying I'd not class people on the dole as rich, they've not probably sending kids to private school not buying new cars. Should they be let spend some of it in the pub?
    Would you like to be on the dole and told where you can and can't spend your money.
    I suppose too, turkey's don't vote for Christmas, no one things they themselves should make more of a contribution, we all point to someone else.
    I was in a class before where the lecturer was saying how a company manger said he couldn't understand why the staff wouldn't take a 20% cut in salaries to keep the company a float. But the company owner didn't understand that for some they'd not be able to survive on 20% less so there was no point agreeing to it.
    It's easy to say dole is too high with all the add ons so people are not motivated to get off it and find a job.
    But look at actual cases, a friend was on the dole, he was not in the pub, was finding it hard to make ends meet as it was, he was offered a job that by the time he added in petrol he would be 20 euro a week worse off, he was already finding it hard to pay his was, how can he go back to work for that job? He can't use 20% less gas and electricity, eat 20% less, use 20% less petrol.
    There was a very interesting piece on tv before, they simply asked who should pay more tax, everyone agreed the rich should pay more, but when they asked people from different salary brackets who were the rich, even those on 150,000 sterling didn't consider themselves rich.
    What do long term JSA recipients offer the country? Is this not going down the lines of if you don't offer anything you are not welcome here? My mother has not worked in 25 years, she was a full time mother, we're all grown and moved on, she paid very little tax but will get a pension, she is not on the dole but is also offering nothing, should we ask her to leave?

I just think there is an ill-informed view of the dole, the vast majority would love to have a job and not feel ****ty collecting it and signing on every week. You'll always have some lazy people, some though are just not skilled enough to get what is going.
    I spoke to a bloke once who was hoping to be a senator one day in the usa, his kids were given 50k a year education, he thought why can't people just get a job, I tried to say it is a different world for those on the bottom then those like his kids at the top, they can't use connections or are not educated enough.
    I suppose to put it simply, if we stopped TD's taking no more then their salary and we kicked off the dole anyone who'd been on it more than a year, it would not change in my opinion the state of our countries finances that much.
    It would not mean we could lower the rate of tax instantly.
    If we'd no people on the dole we'd be screwed a bit too, who'd take up the new jobs we're creating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Jesus lads this isn't the place for that.

I paid 1.30 for petrol last night. It's not overly cheap near me!

• Advertisement

I find it interesting what this price of petrol does to world politics, Putin is under the gun, they get so much of there finances from oil, he's actually having to soften his stance on Ukraine to try not have anymore sanctions placed upon the country. The Russian currency has taken a massive drop too against the dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I filled up in Ballincollig last night for 124.9 so not all garages in Cork are taking the mick at least! 57 to fill the focus long may it last!

How does it work for garages, so the price of crude goes down, does the price of petrol supplied to garages instantly go down or is there a time delay, so lets say crude oil was the same price for 12 months and taxes in Eire stayed the same, and in one week crude dropped 20%, how long before we'd see lower savings at the pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

1.33.9 in clifden still

Gavman84 wrote: »
    I filled up in Ballincollig last night for 124.9 so not all garages in Cork are taking the mick at least! 57 to fill the focus long may it last!

If I bought my petrol at this price, I'd save about 20 euro per fill up compared to the highest price I paid of 1,69 back 2 years ago.
    Nice saving I'd grateful for!

Gavman84 wrote: »

If I bought my petrol at this price, I'd save about 20 euro per fill up compared to the highest price I paid of 1,69 back 2 years ago.
    Nice saving I'm grateful for!

But if we cut the dole to 100 euro in the morning, while we'd have more people looking for jobs we wouldn't have more jobs out there, that is all I am saying. I do know some people who retired to go on the dole, I totally disagree with this. It's there as a support if you can't find a job or are retraining to find a job.
    I suppose it depends what you call rich, I'm not laughing, just saying I'd not class people on the dole as rich, they've not probably sending kids to private school not buying new cars. Should they be let spend some of it in the pub?
    Would you like to be on the dole and told where you can and can't spend your money.
    I suppose too, turkey's don't vote for Christmas, no one things they themselves should make more of a contribution, we all point to someone else.
    I was in a class before where the lecturer was saying how a company manger said he couldn't understand why the staff wouldn't take a 20% cut in salaries to keep the company a float. But the company owner didn't understand that for some they'd not be able to survive on 20% less so there was no point agreeing to it.
    It's easy to say dole is too high with all the add ons so people are not motivated to get off it and find a job.
    But look at actual cases, a friend was on the dole, he was not in the pub, was finding it hard to make ends meet as it was, he was offered a job that by the time he added in petrol he would be 20 euro a week worse off, he was already finding it hard to pay his was, how can he go back to work for that job? He can't use 20% less gas and electricity, eat 20% less, use 20% less petrol.
    There was a very interesting piece on tv before, they simply asked who should pay more tax, everyone agreed the rich should pay more, but when they asked people from different salary brackets who were the rich, even those on 150,000 sterling didn't consider themselves rich.
    What do long term JSA recipients offer the country? Is this not going down the lines of if you don't offer anything you are not welcome here? My mother has not worked in 25 years, she was a full time mother, we're all grown and moved on, she paid very little tax but will get a pension, she is not on the dole but is also offering nothing, should we ask her to leave?

I just think there is an ill-informed view of the dole, the vast majority would love to have a job and not feel ****ty collecting it and signing on every week. You'll always have some lazy people, some though are just not skilled enough to get what is going.
    I spoke to a bloke once who was hoping to be a senator one day in the usa, his kids were given 50k a year education, he thought why can't people just get a job, I tried to say it is a different world for those on the bottom then those like his kids at the top, they can't use connections or are not educated enough.
    I suppose to put it simply, if we stopped TD's taking no more then their salary and we kicked off the dole anyone who'd been on it more than a year, it would not change in my opinion the state of our countries finances that much.
    It would not mean we could lower the rate of tax instantly.
    If we'd no people on the dole we'd be screwed a bit too, who'd take up the new jobs we're creating.

This is the motors forum. It is not the place to be doling out advice on the economy. I don't think it benefits the forum and I think we could all afford to do without this focus.
    I understand that this was a taxing issue to write that post so I appreciate the allowance you have taken, but as I said think - it benefits no-one.
    YbFocus wrote: »
    Jesus lads this isn't the place for that.

I paid 1.30 for petrol last night. It's not overly cheap near me!
    Yeah it seems only cheap/cheaper in certain places.

Worth noting that imo 1.20 odd per litre (while cheaper than it was) is not cheap.

Nice saving I'd grateful for!
    Nice saving I'm grateful for!

Echooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The ESB and the rest will be on shortly offering price cuts for their 6 months worth of massive falls in costs.... im sure....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

I've noticed its less to fill my tank now

Advertisement