Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi Fi Disappears every night around eight!

Options
  • 03-12-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I have Eircom fibre with and Eircom router and a second wifi access point connected, plus a whole load of other stuff. All was well for four or five months from connection date.

Recently my wifi internet connection disappears every evening around eight. All hard wired equipment remains working and I can still connect to my Eircom router wirelessly. The problem sorts itself out after about an hour or if I restart the Eircom router. Suppose the Eircom router decides to stop transmitting Internet at eight every night, if so, how come the access point goes at the same time, even though it is hard wired to the Eircom modem. I have a wireless software application which shows my wifi channels. The Eircom router channel has nothing else close to it. The access point has a couple of other networks on the same or neighbouring channels. But they are much weaker than my access point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are there any other wireless devices in the house by any chance that might interfere?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭joeaverage

dub45 wrote: »
    Are there any other wireless devices in the house by any chance that might interfere?

I do have other devices.

3 x Sonos Players
    Wireless Printer
    A wireless access point connected to Eircom router
    2 x Smart TV
    8 x Wireless portable device

I have a software application that shows all the wifi networks close by. My Eircom router channel is out on its own with nothing else close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

joeaverage wrote: »
    I do have other devices.

3 x Sonos Players
    Wireless Printer
    A wireless access point connected to Eircom router
    2 x Smart TV
    8 x Wireless portable device

I have a software application that shows all the wifi networks close by. My Eircom router channel is out on its own with nothing else close to it.

did you get a new device recently and maybe exceeded the limit on connections.

Nothing new lately, router says its good for 32 devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Had a similar issue with a NAS recently where it seemed to shut itself down at exactly 2pm, even if I was using it. I had set up power saving on the device, but it wasn't supposed to shut down till 2am.
    Turns out the timezone on the device was wrong...d'oh.

I know lots of wireless routers allow you to disable wireless for parts of the day/night, so check to see if that's been set up, and if it has make sure that your AP has the correct time & timezone.

If it seems to become disabled *around* 8 rather than at an exact time, my suspicion would lay with a neighbour coming home and switching on their equipment at that time. May not necessarily be WiFi equipment.

It does seem a bit bizarre though that you need to restart the Eircom router to get your AP working again.

The next time it happens, maybe hardwire yourself to the AP and see if it's actually lost connectivity or if it's just your wireless that's gone.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Had a similar issue with a NAS recently where it seemed to shut itself down at exactly 2pm, even if I was using it. I had set up power saving on the device, but it wasn't supposed to shut down till 2am.
    Turns out the timezone on the device was wrong...d'oh.

I know lots of wireless routers allow you to disable wireless for parts of the day/night, so check to see if that's been set up, and if it has make sure that your AP has the correct time & timezone.

If it seems to become disabled *around* 8 rather than at an exact time, my suspicion would lay with a neighbour coming home and switching on their equipment at that time. May not necessarily be WiFi equipment.

It does seem a bit bizarre though that you need to restart the Eircom router to get your AP working again.

The next time it happens, maybe hardwire yourself to the AP and see if it's actually lost connectivity or if it's just your wireless that's gone.

This is it, the router does not lose Internet connectivity, all my hard wired devices work just fine. But strangely, the router can still be accessed using wifi, the only problem is there is no Internet available thru it, until of course I restart it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

joeaverage wrote: »
    This is it, the router does not lose Internet connectivity, all my hard wired devices work just fine. But strangely, the router can still be accessed using wifi, the only problem is there is no Internet available thru it, until of course I restart it.

Do you "Torrent" much ?

Very seldom, once a month, couple of movies, but not regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭GIMP

I am having a similar issue with the Zyxel F1000, internet access just drops out but all devices are connected via wifi.Usually happens in the morning and evening. A router reboot solves the problem but its not a permanent solution.
    I have rang Eircom a couple of times and the suggested solutions of changing wifi channel and router firmware upgrade hasn't made a difference.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Change WiFi channel. Could be a neighbour getting home and plugging a device in on same channel.

• Advertisement

Change WiFi channel. Could be a neighbour getting home and plugging a device in on same channel.

Hi please reread my post, changing channel doesn't make any difference.

GIMP wrote: »
    Hi please reread my post, changing channel doesn't make any difference.

Are you the OP? It might help the OP and others, especially if they're using a weak router like horizon box and the neighbour has a better box. No harm in getting an app on your phone and checking what channels are free or congested and tweaking yours accordingly.

They're are a small limited number of WiFi channels, especially when you factor in overlapping between channels. If you've more than a handful of neighbours chances are youre sharing/conflicting.

Could also look at a 5ghz box as less popular.

Are you the OP? It might help the OP and others, especially if they're using a weak router like horizon box and the neighbour has a better box. No harm in getting an app on your phone and checking what channels are free or congested and tweaking yours accordingly.

They're are a small limited number of WiFi channels, especially when you factor in overlapping between channels. If you've more than a handful of neighbours chances are youre sharing/conflicting.

Could also look at a 5ghz box as less popular.

Ya I have an app already to check for channel congestion, the channel I selected was the less contested and I have tried other channels over the past few days, but the dropout continues regardless.Also dropped the frequency from 40mhz to 20mhz to reduce interference.
    BTW its an Eircom router, no UPC in the area and its not 5ghz enabled only 2.5ghz.

Run a speed test on a wired connection.
    Run one for each WiFi channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

It sounds like a IP conflict, I would try manually assigning IP address for devices that stay in the house like printer etc.

32 devices sounds very high to me but maybe i'm wrong, What eircom router do you have? serial/Model.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

reset router and modem, I once had a netgear adapter,which would shut of my wifi,i got another brand and never have dropped wifi since,start up your other adapters one at a time to see which shuts it down

wylie wrote: »
    It sounds like a IP conflict, I would try manually assigning IP address for devices that stay in the house like printer etc.

32 devices sounds very high to me but maybe i'm wrong, What eircom router do you have? serial/Model.

How do you assign an IP address to each device? Or more precisely which IP do I assign? Currently in the house connected is a Sky HD box and a Chromecast all the time, then occasionally 2 androids phones an IPad and Nexus 7.Router is Zyxel F1000.

Honesty that dosen't sound like to many devices...maybe.
    You can assign manual IP addresses in network configuration. You didnt mention a laptop/desktop in your list of connected
    devices and tbh i'm not sure where you go on a IPad dude, but typically in network settings.

IP addresses are assigned automatically when devices try to connect to the router. If you set this to manual you will need to enter Ip addresses/subnet mask/default gateway for each device.

A IP address looks like this 192.168.1.**, These last two digit's or ** are for each device. For example 192.168.1.10 for ipad, 192.168.1.11 for printer and say 192.168.1.12 for android. 13/14/15 and so on.

When assigning manually you will also need to enter subnet mask typically 255.255.255.0 and default gateway.

If i was you i would google the hell out of "how to manually assign IP addresses" before you try anything. Please be careful as i dont want you to lose total internet connectivity. I used to be with Eircom recently changed to UPC. I think i could connect seven devices before problem's started like what you mentioned in your first post.(Could connect to router but no internet access.) It is strange that it happens a eight. Is someone coming home at eight and connecting to your router. I will keep searching around and see what i can find, see if we can get this sorted for you. I will reply later

I can't post links/images cause i'm a new user but just google Nexus 7.Router is Zyxel F1000. specs and you will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

I has the same problem and I fixed it like so:

Power on/off the house electricity main trip switch.

If that doesn't work phone ESB and request they restart the local transformer / whole town.

Aside from a few 100 alarms going off in the town the problem was solved.

I am having a similar issue with the Zyxel F1000, internet access just drops out but all devices are connected via wifi.Usually happens in the morning and evening. A router reboot solves the problem but its not a permanent solution.
    I have rang Eircom a couple of times and the suggested solutions of changing wifi channel and router firmware upgrade hasn't made a difference.

Any ideas?

Good to hear its not just me. IP conflict mentioned in previous post might be something. I have had a few IP conflict warnings, which I ignored cos I didn't know how to fix the conflict. Lately I'm loosing wifi and wired Internet connection,maybe twice a day. I have ordered a kick ass router that I hope will solve the problem. Another guy I spoke to said the line might not be able for the current speed setting and the modem keeps screwing up, a problem which apparently also can effect wifi, even though it sounds strange.

• Advertisement

Well its not an IP conflict, I checked the ips for every device and each have a different assigned one. So I'm now stumped.

Well its not an IP conflict, I checked the ips for every device and each have a different assigned one. So I'm now stumped.

I'll let you know how I get on with the new router. I know it sounds mad, but the guy that told me about the speed issue would be fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

worded wrote: »
    I has the same problem and I fixed it like so:

Power on/off the house electricity main trip switch.

If that doesn't work phone ESB and request they restart the local transformer / whole town.

Aside from a few 100 alarms going off in the town the problem was solved.

I'm an ordinary gadget, pc etc user a nd I reasonably good at figuring my IT problems by way of process of elimination before I ring ISP for non advice I.e. Re start router, change channel, connect wired etc. but I have to say WORDED this gas to be the most unusual remedy to a wifi internet problem "ask the ESB to restart the local transformer" yes sir of course is there any particular time you would like use to do the restart .

Let us know if you get this sorted, and what the issue was please. It may help some other board users.

Good luck

Still not sorted, keeps randomly disconnecting, eircom are offering no answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Still not sorted, keeps randomly disconnecting, eircom are offering no answers.

Why would you expect Eircom to offer any answers? Wireless is your own local network, problems are usually caused by local interference or problems with your own hardware.

My bet is it's something local. You say you scanned for devices on other channels, but this will only show devices that conform to Wi-Fi standards, plenty of devices use these unlicensed frequencies and may not show up, baby monitors, wireless cameras, walkie talkies, video senders etc especially the stuff made in China that eBay is full of. Also I've witnessed before that they can often cause interference across all the channels. Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

At this point just go an buy a 5Ghz AP. Dodge whatevers causing it.

Did you power on off the house?

Did you ask the ESB power on/off the towns grid to see if
    That fixes it?

Also use badger repellant spray around the perimeter of the house.
    Their fur has a lot of static and can cause wifi probs particularly at frequencies 1-6

Any keep is all posted

worded wrote: »
    Did you power on off the house?

Did you ask the ESB power on/off the towns grid to see if
    That fixes it?

Also use badger repellant spray around the perimeter of the house.
    Their fur has a lot of static and can cause wifi probs particularly at frequencies 1-6

Any keep is all posted

You off your meds?

• Advertisement

Just having a laugh.

It's probably not badger related

Oh look over there ..... A squirrel

Advertisement