Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UTV Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not sure this is all that bad,

1 - So far we have TV3 and 3E, both stations are dire and broadcast with a picture quality not too different from when YouTube first launched all those years ago!

2 - We also have UTV through other channels.

What we will gain is:
    1- TV3 being stripped of all the rubbish they show and perhaps closing of 3E.

2 - TV3 could change to a channel more like Channel 5 showing mainly movies and american tv shows: this is what I would like to see the most, could turn TV3 into a half decent channel, just a shame their crap picture quality bitrate won't change.

3 - UTV Ireland launching on SKY showing all the same crap that TV3 currently offer, likely to be better picture quality, the possibility of a HD version as well. Since ITV-HD is no longer available to Irish Sky viewers through other channels this will have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Gonzo wrote: »
    just a shame their crap picture quality bitrate won't change.

TV3 HD is on the way but not until next year. I'll believe this when I see it.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    3 - UTV Ireland launching on SKY showing all the same crap that TV3 currently offer, likely to be better picture quality, the possibility of a HD version as well. Since ITV-HD is no longer available to Irish Sky viewers through other channels this will have to do.

UTV HD is tuneable on a Sky box. UTV Ireland up to now have said absolutely nothing about HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I will certainly be tuning into Pat's new show on UTV as I suspect will many other people who have given up on the Late Late Show.

Pat is without a shadow of a doubt our best broadcaster and it took me a long time to come around to that point of view. In fairness he doesn't have much competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

http://www.utv.ie/

99 days to go before we can see brand new and original Irish programming like, er, Coronation Street and Emmerdale. They might as well stick on the ITN evening news from London too before transferring to our "region" for our news for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,194 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

SAORVIEW viewers are already experiencing the best in Irish television with channels from RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 available to view for free, and from the start of January, viewers can expect more from Ireland’s only free digital television service.
    Who wrote this? We pay hundreds of Euro every year for Saorview, its in no way free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It's been on my SaorView for about 2 weeks now - without the need to re-scan.

RTE News Now has moved to Channel 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

serfboard wrote: »

Took over the old Rte One SD slot

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I don't understand this at all. Why do we need another ITV programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭NinetyForNone

JOSman wrote: »
    I don't understand this at all. Why do we need another ITV programme?
    Guess they reckon they'll get more viewers and sell more ads with a dedicated channel for the Irish republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Have to say I'm not sure what will change in terms of competition for TV3. ITV/UTV has been available in Ireland for decades. Its on free SAT, UPC and on the extra channels on SKY, so a very large percentage of the country have it already. Can't see how creating a new UTV channel will encourage people to break their viewing habits.

K_user wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not sure what will change in terms of competition for TV3. ITV/UTV has been available in Ireland for decades. Its on free SAT, UPC and on the extra channels on SKY, so a very large percentage of the country have it already. Can't see how creating a new UTV channel will encourage people to break their viewing habits.

UTV Ireland will not be the same channel as the Northern Ireland version. There will be differences. Also UPC viewers will lose UTV from Northern Ireland so that's the viewing habits of a few hundred thousand changed automatically as they will have to watch TV3 for some ITV programming

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

lertsnim wrote: »
    UTV Ireland will not be the same channel as the Northern Ireland version. There will be differences. Also UPC viewers will lose UTV from Northern Ireland so that's the viewing habits of a few hundred thousand changed automatically as they will have to watch TV3 for some ITV programming

And no ITN bulletins!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's interesting. As a "cable-cutter" I only have Saorview and Netflix, so I'll get to see UTV again. (Of course whether I will want to or not is another matter ...)

I don't see why they couldn't show the same non-domestic content on both sides of the border at the same time. They could replace any domestic content (news, chat show) from the north with a southern equivalent, which is presumably why they've signed up Pat Kenny.

Is it really, not on mine

Is it really, not on mine

Mine changed automatically a few weeks ago. UTV Ireland on 6 and RTÉ News Now on 21. RTÉ One +1 is also now on two separate numbers.

How is Graham Norton's talk show (BBC show) on it?

Will it show all the ITV dramas the same time as ITV like Broadchurch season 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Tv ThrePEAT is really going to be a joke channel now! Groundhog channel where even repeats of repeats are repeated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

It's made by ITV Studios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Strangely, enough i just happen to see 1st season is rptd every nite late on TV3

Time - 01:00 to 02:00 (1 hour long).
    When - Monday 29th December on TV3

(Part 3, 2013, 5 Star)

As is a lot of BBC content.

Yeah & afaik other progs by BBC Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Broadchurch along with Downton Abbey will remain with TV3 as they are the Irish rights holders for those programmes for next season along with X Factor and BGT.

I am not sure about the scheduling though, digiguide.tv should be a good online resource for that but you do have pay for it if upgrading it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,706 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So am I right in saying this then (from the perspective of a UPC customer):

- No UTV NI or UTV HD anymore
    - Lose any of the football that used to be on ITV1/UTV

If so, that's pretty bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So am I right in saying this then (from the perspective of a UPC customer):

- No UTV NI or UTV HD anymore
    - Lose any of the football that used to be on ITV1/UTV

If so, that's pretty bad!

Yeah, the existing UTV will be replaced by the new station on UPC, unfortunately.
    UTV Ireland will replace the existing “Northern” service on UPC.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-will-be-available-on-all-tv-platforms-1.2022002

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, the existing UTV will be replaced by the new station on UPC, unfortunately.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-will-be-available-on-all-tv-platforms-1.2022002

That's bad news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why? Conflicting rights? (ITV lose all live TV footie as of CL final 2015 so that's no biggie)

Tv3 are showing broadchurch series 2 an hour after ITV next Monday !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why? Conflicting rights? (ITV lose all live TV footie as of CL final 2015 so that's no biggie)

Will be bad news for Rugby World Cup, TV3 have Irish rights for it so won't be shown on UTV Ireland no matter what.

Will be bad news for Rugby World Cup, TV3 have Irish rights for it so won't be shown on UTV Ireland no matter what.

You have several months to sort out a FTA satellite system if the ITV coverage is imprtant for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Tv3 are showing broadchurch series 2 an hour after ITV next Monday !

Would you have had to watch S01 first, to watch S02?

Advertisement