Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on offering of Argos codes in bargain alerts

Options
  • 21-12-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

There's people offering Argos codes on items they've no intention of buying in bargain alerts.

If a poplar item becomes available people are block booking this item to get a pat on the back over in the bargain alert threads from other members.

I'm all for a bargain so I proposing a blanket ban on the offering of codes so that a bargain can genuinely go on a first come first served basis.

Thank you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Have you sent a PM to any of the BA moderators? They might not all check here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Ruu wrote: »
    Have you sent a PM to any of the BA moderators? They might not all check here.

I was told post it here by one of the other mods.

I have PM'd Davy today - awaiting reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

keano25 wrote: »
    There's people offering Argos codes on items they've no intention of buying in bargain alerts.

If a poplar item becomes available people are block booking this item to get a pat on the back over in the bargain alert threads from other members.

I'm all for a bargain so I proposing a blanket ban on the offering of codes so that a bargain can genuinely go on a first come first served basis.

Thank you.

Their is nothing we can do that will stop users or non-members from reserving items. Even if their was a ban on sharing codes on thread it doesn't mean it will stop it from happening. I don't think their is many people reserving blocks, some might reserve one to pass on to a fellow boardsie that might return the favour another time. If it wasn't for the site and the users their wouldn't be any bargains their in the first place. You might argue that they prevented you from getting the JPG item, but remember you wouldn't have know about it without the site.

If their was a ban in place for this, you still may not have got a code.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,923 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There* (sorry but it was really noticeable)

I would still enforce on a ban on it for the simple fact that BA is a relatively influential, well-traveled forum; the end goal doesn't have to be stopping the behavior from happening off-site, just as stopping talk of piracy doesn't stop piracy. Granted there is no legal danger of letting it happen unlike the latter, but there is nothing wrong with taking a stance on the issue. Boards has taken a couple subtle stances on issues in the past and they have held very well: stopping people from throwing around the words gay and retard as derogatory, or the big lovely discussion on depression in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Is it not better for a boards member to get a "pat on the back" than have the bargain otherwise go to some randomer? A lot of the time it's actually people who reserved the items but just don't have the chance to pick them up so they can either leave it go and a random person can get it when it's available or another member on a forum they spend considerable time on can get it instead

It's very simple, any offering of codes be given a weeks ban. That would put an end to it.

I've lost count the amount of times in the past few weeks that people are on offering codes for all over the country with no intention of buying the item.

It should be first come first served, end of story, this is the fairest way.

Davy wrote: »
    You might argue that they prevented you from getting the JPG item, but remember you wouldn't have know about it without the site.

Sorry now Davy, but it wasn't via this site that I learned about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Overheal wrote: »
    I would still enforce on a ban on it for the simple fact that BA is a relatively influential, well-traveled forum; the end goal doesn't have to be stopping the behavior from happening off-site, just as stopping talk of piracy doesn't stop piracy. Granted there is no legal danger of letting it happen unlike the latter, but there is nothing wrong with taking a stance.

Does a stance need to be taken though?
    A lot of users are being helped by other users.

Sorry now Davy, but it wasn't via this site that I learned about it.

If you knew about it before you seen it on the site and couldn't get one does it not mean the issue was not created by boards users and stock was already the issue?

If you knew about it before you seen it on the site and couldn't get one does it not mean the issue was not created by boards users and stock was already the issue?

Just because I seen it before I seen it on this site does not mean a thing. I could of seen it days after this site did.

Just like your original statement you presuming things again, very unprofessional for a mod to be honest Davy.

• Advertisement

Does a stance need to be taken though?
    A lot of users are being helped by other users.

Well judging by the likes in a short period of time on a relatively quite part of the forum it looks like there is people in agreement of stance been taken.

Well judging by the likes in a short period of time on a relatively quite part of the forum it looks like there is people in agreement of stance been taken.

7 thanks vs 'x' amount of people in the bargain alerts forum who would disagree. Make a poll within bargain alerts for comparison.

Well Davy how do we go about getting this motion passed?

Well Davy how do we go about getting this motion passed?

Quote from the charter:
    Feedback is not trial by popularity:

If your thread gets 1000 supporters it will still be up to the mods of the forums, the cmods of the category and the admins of the site to decide if it has merit. This is not because of any ideas of power or control, it is because the mods/cmods/admins may have a perspective that extends beyond a single forum and have access to information that users do not or cannot have that lends weight to an argument or show it to be impossible. Similarly, decisions taken by mods should be discussed with co-mods and possibly category mods before being enacted. If a moderator agrees with you, that does not necessarily mean your ideas will definitely be actioned.

Considering you are currently holding a ban from the forum for a related issue I think its best to wait it at least that time has passed.

Holding a ban for having a sense of humour, but we won't get into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not in favor of this, as the reserving of items by members has been quite helpful in the past and saved some Christmases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Argos should apply a small charge for reserving items. This might curtail this activity. Maybe give them a shout and explain what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

imagine if lets say I had a code for a frozen doll the site would shut down ha ha.

Why is it a big deal sometimes people book something and change their mind or something comes up and they won't make it to buy reserved item.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'd agree with this as sonethimes when something is all sold out every where people are coming on and saying they have codes for shops all over the place for no apparent reason other than to look good on bargain alerts or else they have multiple codes they never planned on using.
    If you stopped offering codes people from boards would still get the deal except they'd just be reserving it for them self's rather than posting in threads asking the posters like above for codes.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I'd agree with this as sonethimes when something is all sold out every where people are coming on and saying they have codes for shops all over the place for no apparent reason other than to look good on bargain alerts or else they have multiple codes they never planned on using.
    If you stopped offering codes people from boards would still get the deal except they'd just be reserving it for them self's rather than posting in threads asking the posters like above for codes.

Doubt it. Ask people who got codes for the crazy PS4 deals in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Doubt it. Ask people who got codes for the crazy PS4 deals in the last few weeks.

Ya I reserved my own via Argos, people on here started block booking and that's how they provided the codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

I am extremely in favour of this ban.
    There are so many posts on bargain alerts where the one user states they have reservation codes for a number of places around the country that they had no intention of using.
    I believe boards should make a stance on this. People are reserving items purely for the pat on the back they get when passing the code on.

Why is it a boards problem to police a poorly designed reservation system on behalf of argos.

I wouldn't mind but the only reason for the complaint is due to the op not getting one of the codes offered. Great system until you don't get what you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Calhoun wrote: »
    Why is it a boards problem to police a poorly designed reservation system on behalf of argos.

I wouldn't mind but the only reason for the complaint is due to the op not getting one of the codes offered. Great system until you don't get what you want.

I wouldnt say that tbh. I'd support The ban as if it started to get out of hand it could get very clique-ish between users and destroy The forum. Sure we had a lad trying to sell reservation codes about 2 days ago.

A ban would deter The practice as for The Moment its a kind of clap on The back response The Person reserving is seeking. Rule out The practice with a ban and there will be no More.

I understand The argument that its keeping The deals for boards users,though i dont think its best practice as it completely removes stock from everybody including other boards users for a Little morale boost for a user.

Again though this is a flaw in the argos system, if folk dont do it here there are other means in which they could do this.

Why is it a boards problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Calhoun wrote: »
    Again though this is a flaw in the argos system, if folk dont do it here there are other means in which they could do this.

Why is it a boards problem?

Well then let them do it elsewhere.
    Boards.ie is one of the most popular websites in the country. Banning it here would stop a lot of people from seeking that virtual thanks and pat on the back.

Also your argument is a bit pointless. Why have any rules on boards then if people are just going to break the rules elsewhere? That's basically what your argument is.

My point is why should boards police a flaw in an ordering system for another site.

I personally don't agree with what people are doing but I don't agree that it's a boards problem.

Is it a flaw, or abuse of the system?

Design flaw that any reservation system can have an unauthenticated reservation process in place. Even if it did some IP tracking or forced some level of sign up it would nip this in the butt.

I bet however the reservations that are going out in most cases are being used so at the end of the day they probably dont care as they are making their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

people helping people.... good, sour grapes when one doesnt get what they want..... "lets shut boards.ie down"

if you would like something held for you do it yourself, if not, then ask politely in the BA forum perhaps someone may be able to help you out!? I see no issues here at all

Advertisement