Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonder Woman (2017)

Options
  • 26-11-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Did a search and cannot find a thread for her stand alone movie. Well the movie now has its director Michelle MacLaren better known for her work on Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Knows how to handle action & drama so. Hopefully we'll get something decent & no invisible frigging plane

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

OU812 wrote: »
    Knows how to handle action & drama so. Hopefully we'll get something decent & no invisible frigging plane

And the protagonist wearing more than a bathing suit.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wonderboy76

OU812 wrote: »

Joss Whedon's script, dumped by WB all those years ago (how they must be regretting THAT now) apparently worked in the Invisible Jet.

I'm sure we won't see it just yet but it's such an inconic part of her history that I think they'll try and have it appear in the Justice League movies or later WW outings.

But I'm hoping for something intelligent and respectful of her and her origins and history but that updates her for a new era. The news of this skilled director taking the helm certainly makes me think we won't get something terrible but it's going to depend on the script.

And please let them give Lynda Carter a cameo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Invisible Jet... I'm sure we won't see it just yet

i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sharmander

And please let them give Lynda Carter a cameo.

THIS THIS THIS THIS please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

And the protagonist wearing more than a bathing suit.

lets hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I fear this may flop and sadly because its a female superhero. I'm not being sexist I'll go see it as i like the characther but I think the majority of testorone filled males won't due to this. Also not a big name actress in the role

I agree that female heroes have a bigger uphill climb at the box office but Catwoman, Elektra etc didn’t flop at the box office b/c they were women, they flopped because they were awful movies.

The Hunger Games shows that you can put a woman in a lead action flick and have it do well.

And Wonder Woman is clearly the most famous and well known female superhero. I think the casting of a virtually uknown (and not white) woman in the role is exactly what it needs. Remember years ago when it was going to be Sandra Bullock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I agree that female heroes have a bigger uphill climb at the box office but Catwoman, Elektra etc didn’t flop at the box office b/c they were women, they flopped because they were awful movies.

The Hunger Games shows that you can put a woman in a lead action flick and have it do well.

And Wonder Woman is clearly the most famous and well known female superhero. I think the casting of a virtually uknown (and not white) woman in the role is exactly what it needs. Remember years ago when it was going to be Sandra Bullock?

The hunger games had a huge following from the books already and also Jennifer Lawrence who is a huge star and loved by audiences. I agree Catwoman sucked and Electra was just as awful. Here's hoping its a good film that's the most important thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ricero wrote: »
    I fear this may flop and sadly because its a female superhero. I'm not being sexist I'll go see it as i like the characther but I think the majority of testorone filled males won't due to this. Also not a big name actress in the role

One swallow doesn't make a summer, but The Hunger Games series has demonstrated that the gender of its protagonist can be utterly irrelevant if the tentpole 'hero' movie is decent in of itself. If Wonder Woman has a tight script and is competently put together (though the track record of DC so far doesn't suggest this is likely), there's no reason it can't succeed; frankly there's a lot of broadly untested myth about the idea that female-driven blockbusters can't shift tickets.

Guardians of the Galaxy was meant to be a tremendous flop, it was too out there people said, too potentially alienating of the common audience member, yet it's arguably the biggest hit of the year; if the product is good, people will go see it.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    The hunger games had a huge following from the books already and also Jennifer Lawrence who is a huge star and loved by audiences. I agree Catwoman sucked and Electra was just as awful. Here's hoping its a good film that's the most important thing.

And the books also featured a female lead in a well written story. A female-led action franchise CAN work. And arguably, if there's any female hero it's suited to more than any other, it's WW.

I feel the one thing that will kill this movie before it even hits is the negativity about how it "will bomb". I hope Gal, Michelle and everyone involved feels that people DO want this movie, the time is right for Wonder Woman but if keep shouting that it'll be a pile of cr*p then that'll ensure it's dead in the water.

Keep the faith, people!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lol actually looking forward to this but chances are it'll be terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

If it does bomb (I'm cynical about it, myself), can we expect the "Viewers are too sexist to watch a Wonder Woman movie" articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Why exactly did Warner Bros./DC insist on a female director?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it does bomb (I'm cynical about it, myself), can we expect the "Viewers are too sexist to watch a Wonder Woman movie" articles?

Why would there be? If this movie bombs the more likely conversation will be DC's continuing ham-fisted inability to adapt its own franchises for cinema.

Appeal to the whole modern feminism and "we're as good as men" market I suppose...even though it's based off of fuking comic books that kids read

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why would there be? If this movie bombs the more likely conversation will be DC's continuing ham-fisted inability to adapt its own franchises for cinema.

Mostly, yes, but there would still be some bored tumblr users who hadn't even seen the movie out to stir sh!t...and malleable idiots to spread it. And aside from TDK trilogy I agree with you, seems like they're really rushing into this new slate of movies to try to compete with marvel when they're not even close. They should just slow down and plan it all out perfectly to make each individual movie as good as possible.

Appeal to the whole modern feminism and "we're as good as men" market I suppose...even though it's based off of fuking comic books that kids read

Mostly, yes, but there would still be some bored tumblr users who hadn't even seen the movie out to stir sh!t

So sort of the same as bored boards.ie users who haven't seen it, yet are reading way too much into decisions made already? ;) The box office is perfectly capable of supporting female-lead blockbusters, Lucy and the Hunger Games this year alone show this, there's no hidden agendas at play there, unless you count the bankability of ScarJo and Jennifer Lawrence; the most foolish thing will be people suddenly channeling their hopes and prejudices into Wonder Woman just 'cos it's a female superhero. Me? I'm looking forward to it 'cos it'll make a friggin' change.

So sort of the same as bored boards.ie users who haven't seen it, yet are reading way too much into decisions made already? ;) The box office is perfectly capable of supporting female-lead blockbusters, Lucy and the Hunger Games this year alone show this, there's no hidden agendas at play there, unless you count the bankability of ScarJo and Jennifer Lawrence; the most foolish thing will be people suddenly channeling their hopes and prejudices into Wonder Woman just 'cos it's a female superhero. Me? I'm looking forward to it 'cos it'll make a friggin' change.

I said I was looking forward to it? Who said the box office wasn't capable of supporting female leads? And Hunger games 2 was good, Lucy was sh!t

I said I was looking forward to it? Who said the box office wasn't capable of supporting female leads? And Hunger games 2 was good, Lucy was sh!t
    Meh, I was mostly still addressing the previous talk the films success/failure down to its gender. Time will tell.
    And aside from TDK trilogy I agree with you, seems like they're really rushing into this new slate of movies to try to compete with marvel when they're not even close. They should just slow down and plan it all out perfectly to make each individual movie as good as possible.
    Rumour has it the order came down from DC for 'no jokes', that these movies be more serious affairs than Marvel's approach, presumably either to avoid direct comparison with the Marvel films, or just the belief that more of the Nolan'verse was what people wanted. Again time will tell, but I'm not sure I'm immediately and entirely stoked about a half-dozen 'Man of Steel'-a-likes and everyone acting terribly grimdark about being a superhero...

Why not white?

• Advertisement

Meh, I was mostly still addressing the previous talk the films success/failure down to its gender. Time will tell.

Rumour has it the order came down from DC for 'no jokes', that these movies be more serious affairs than Marvel's approach, presumably either to avoid direct comparison with the Marvel films, or just the belief that more of the Nolan'verse was what people wanted. Again time will tell, but I'm not sure I'm immediately and entirely stoked about a half-dozen 'Man of Steel'-a-likes and everyone acting terribly grimdark about being a superhero...

Try making the flash as an uber serious lad and watch that fail (especially if they use Wally in place of Barry)

Why not white?

I don’t mean it as in we should be beating a diversity drum but more than the Amazons should have a more exotic quality, rather than all look like lovely all American girls. Heck Lynda Carter is/was half Mexican. 

I think Gadot’s ethnic heritage, accent etc will sell the character more. Again, I wouldn’t be caring if they had cast a blue-eyed white American girl but I am kinda glad they didn’t. I’ll be interested overall to see how they tackle the ethnicity and diversity of the Amazons overall in this movie.

Try making the flash as an uber serious lad and watch that fail (especially if they use Wally in place of Barry)

Now the actor playing him is an odd choice!

I do wonder if they've tested all the actors with each other to see if they all 'gel' as a League.

I don't think they _insisted_ but I think it was certainly the route they were preferring to go down. One of the producers is also a woman but no word on who will write the script yet. Female screenwriters doing action/adventure seem even rarer than directors!

I don’t mean it as in we should be beating a diversity drum but more than the Amazons should have a more exotic quality, rather than all look like lovely all American girls. Heck Lynda Carter is/was half Mexican. 

I think Gadot’s ethnic heritage, accent etc will sell the character more. Again, I wouldn’t be caring if they had cast a blue-eyed white American girl but I am kinda glad they didn’t. I’ll be interested overall to see how they tackle the ethnicity and diversity of the Amazons overall in this movie.

I get ya know. Basically a Mediterranean (seeing as she is based around ancient Greeks)

I get ya know. Basically a Mediterranean (seeing as she is based around ancient Greeks)

and that she'll be a demi-God. Batman V Superman has a lot of work to ensure audiences buy into the notion that the Gods worshipped by the Amazons exist. It's one thing to have them cross over in the 2d pages of a comic, but in a live action movie to have Batman running around with the daughter of Zeus will be a much tougher sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,172 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wasn't Angelina Jolie in the mix to direct at some stage?

Will it be Circe or Cheetah or another the main villain in this film?

Any casting suggestions for them or Steve Trevor, Eva Green's name been mentioned on a few sites and Ryan Gosling too for Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I cannot wait for this! I loved wonder woman! I really hope its not Angelina Jolie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So long as she has a narrow waste and big tits it'll be a hit. That said whoever plays WW she'll never be as hot as Lynda Carter.

• Advertisement

Is Gadot not playing her?

Advertisement