Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

yopy wrote: »
    Very strange. I wonder if it is possible for them to send a weaker signal to some homes.

No. You can check your signal strength at any stage- it gives you both a signal strength and a signal quality score (out of 100). The alignment of the dish, how well its stuck to the wall, the size of the dish, the lnb, the presence of nearby trees, how clear your line of sight with the horizon is, the weather etc- all affect signal strength and quality- the signal strength from the satellite does not vary on a per house basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JimDgent

Hi All,

Just on here to complain about Xtravision and its crap customer service. It's like this... On 25/10/14 I ordered online a DVD boxset for €50 from Xtravision's website. On 26/10/14 I received an email saying that it had been dispatched. A week later and still no sign of my boxset. So I emailed them and got this reply:

"Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your email, we are sorry to hear that your item has not arrived yet.

Your order had been placed on 25.10.14 and dispatched on 26.10.14 (Please note weekends are not included in postal time period).

As we rely on the An Post delivery system, we trust any orders placed with our online store will be an efficient service trusting that no delays will occur with An Post, however we must allow up to 15 working days to elapse before declaring an item as AWOL, we trust your order will be with you this week before the 15th working day (14.11.14) as An Post delays can be common, should this item not arrive or if there are any issues with your order please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve this issue.

Once again thank you for contacting us, should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

With kind regards,
    Xtra-vision"

So I emailed them yesterday (12 days after I ordered it) to let them know that I still have not received it. Didn't get any response to my email to them...thanks Xtravision! (sarcastically). So it is now 13 days after I ordered the boxset and still no reply from Xtravision and no boxset delivered. It doesn't take more than 3 days for anything to arrive to my house from anywhere in Ireland... never mind 13 days!!! Then they expect me to wait until 14/11/14 before reporting that I didn't receive the item.

Judging by this poor customer service, it's no wonder they went bust in 2013!!! Their new owners, Hilco Capital , will probably have to sell them off again, if they keep up this service towards their customers.

Has anyone else come across this poor service from Xtravision??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not sure how it's their fault your box set has gone missing after dispatch. It's quite common to have to wait a while before the company will issue a replacement or give you a refund. It's a fraud prevention measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

They're still well within their terms of sale.
    http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Vendor/SaleTermsAndConditions
    6. Delivery

We shall deliver the products to the delivery address that you supply when ordering.

We aim to deliver your order to you in one single delivery (subject to availability) and as quickly as is possible. Most products will be posted to you within 1-2 working days of receiving your order. We will advise you by email if there is likely to be a delay in dispatching your order. Alternative methods of delivery may be available on the Site for you to select when you order a product.

Any times or dates stated on the Site for delivery are estimates only. We will make all reasonable efforts to deliver products within the time specified and, other than in the case of pre-orders or where We notify you that We are awaiting stock, this should be within 30 days of your order being acknowledged. We do not accept responsibility for failure to deliver within that time if it is for a reason that is outside of Our control.

Ownership of the products that you order will not pass to you until We have delivered the product. When a product is delivered, risk of damage to, or loss of, the product passes to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Whats seems to be the problem here?

• Advertisement

Merged the Xtravision thread into the best/worst customer service thread

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not sure how it's their fault your box set has gone missing after dispatch. It's quite common to have to wait a while before the company will issue a replacement or give you a refund. It's a fraud prevention measure.

Hi athtrasna,

The first email they sent to me said that it had been dispatched on the 26th of October 2014. The 26th of October was a Sunday. As far as I know... An Post doesn't work on Sundays. ;) This makes me think that it was never dispatched at all on 26/10/14.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    They're still well within their terms of sale...

Hi Slimjimmc,

So what they're saying is: "We aim to deliver your item within 1-2 days...But it could take up to 30 days. If it doesn't arrive within 30 days, it could take 6 months... or a year... or 2 years, etc. It's not our problem. "

Xtravision use An Post to deliver their items. For me, An Post is a reliable delivery service. Nothing has ever gone missing on me when it was sent through An Post!... and I'm 40 yrs old at this stage. I don't blame An Post for the delay. I'm blaming Xtravision.

What Xtravision is saying is, "We'll be glad to take your money off you, but once we mark it as Dispatched, we don't care if you get the item or not". If they wanted to offer true customer service, they would send the items by registered post. I'm sure the customer would be happy knowing that they can track their item and it will be guaranteed to arrive within a specified time-frame. So why don't Xtravision offer registered post??... Have they something to hide?

JimDgent wrote: »
    Hi athtrasna,

The first email they sent to me said that it had been dispatched on the 26th of October 2014. The 26th of October was a Sunday. As far as I know... An Post doesn't work on Sundays. ;) This makes me think that it was never dispatched at all on 26/10/14.

You don't have to go into a post office to dispatch a parcel, big companies can dispatch seven days a week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Positive experience with DHL recently. Very easy to deal with on the phone - called back as promised, twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Great service from Wings in O Connell street in Dublin.My son had some juice left in his glass,she puts it in to a coffee cup and then tops him up.Lovely waitress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jen1350

7 days ago I ordered a laptop tablet off of Littlewoods, the money was taken from my account and everything was ok. I was told that it would be here by the 6th/11. The 6th came and it wasn't here (It's very important I get the package). I looked up online to see if I could track the driver to see if they had been to my area yet, and when doing that a phone number for the driver came up (with his name, number and picture) telling you to get in contact if I had any questions (for their "friendly" drivers). I rang, just asking had he passed, and was very polite to him. He informed me that it would be here the next morning (He didn't need to know the tracking number or where it was from, he knew already that it was from littlewoods and knew the address, basically he had the package in the van).
    I took his word that it would be here in the morning and thanked him.
    The morning came and still no sign, I rang fastway to insure it wasn't lost and they told me that the package has been put "on hold" until notice. So therefor I rang Littlewoods, they told me there was nothing at all wrong with the account and they would take it off hold.

Later that day I got a missed call from Littlewoods and an email saying to get in contact, when I did they redirected me to a "lady".. she informed me that the driver had said I rang him out of business hours (this was 4pm, I checked him timetable, he was working, I insured this) and the it was on hold because of the driver.
    She treated me like s**t and talked down to me, giving out. I said I wasn't taking full blame as the website said it was ok to ring with questions and the times.. she says "Jennifer, if you continue with this we will cancel your account and only leave it open to payments"

I rang back 15 minutes after, asking to complain, the man that I got in contact with said that no one had been in my account and they had no records of it.

**STAY AWAY FROM LITTLEWOODS AND FASTWAY**

Merged into the best/worst customer service thread.
    Slimjimmc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Tesco must be the greatest rip off. Shopped online and ordered persil for 6.00 and when it was delivered , I was charged 9.39 . A bottle of Jameson 23.00 online and when it was delivered 27.00. Ordered today and delivered the day after. Overall my bill when ordered 42 euro , when delivered 51.00. When I challenged the bill I was told that the special offers were available at the time of order but gone at the time of delivery. Now that is a real rip off !!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Well, Tesco have to make up the £250M black hole somehow! :pac:

Seriously - Tesco's are notorious for doing this, and are also overpriced. I only shop there for bits and pieces now. I suggest you write a letter of complaint to their HO and take your business elsewhere.

shawnee wrote: »
    Tesco must be the greatest rip off. Shopped online and ordered persil for 6.00 and when it was delivered , I was charged 9.39 . A bottle of Jameson 23.00 online and when it was delivered 27.00. Ordered today and delivered the day after. Overall my bill when ordered 42 euro , when delivered 51.00. When I challenged the bill I was told that the special offers were available at the time of order but gone at the time of delivery. Now that is a real rip off !!!!:mad:

Have to disagree here, all the special offers on the site clearly list the offer dates and the website says you will be charged the price on delivery day. It's not Tesco 's fault you didn't heed this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Have to give huge thumbs up to UPC, here on boards. Brian, the rep, couldn't have been more helpful!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Staff of House of Fraser in Dundrum went above and beyond for me , on a mobility scooter last week, couldn't have been more helpful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DAA parking staff when I had to bail out almost after arrival on an officially no re-entry pre-booking; was expecting an argument at the very least but they were entirely accommodating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Two recent examples:

SKY
    Brilliant. We were having roofing work done and the roofer managed to knock the dish out of alignment. Rang Sky. No problem, engineer call booked (no charge) and a refund for the days we wouldn't have the service, even though it was 'our' fault. Fully expected to have to pay for the re-alignment and the refund came as a nice surprise even if it was only a tenner.

EazyPass
    Atrocious. Trying to get a refund from them for tolls I didn't incur. Repeated phone calls required; promised call backs never materialised. The attitude of the staff on the phones pretty poor to the point I was accused of lying despite me offering to send in evidence that I was nowhere near the tolling point in question and didn't drive the class of vehicle I was being charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Jawgap wrote: »

EazyPass
    Atrocious. Trying to get a refund from them for tolls I didn't incur. Repeated phone calls required; promised call backs never materialised. The attitude of the staff on the phones pretty poor to the point I was accused of lying despite me offering to send in evidence that I was nowhere near the tolling point in question and didn't drive the class of vehicle I was being charged for.

How did you notice their mistake?
    I wonder now if it has happened to me.. I don't read their statements. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

PeteK* wrote: »
    How did you notice their mistake?
    I wonder now if it has happened to me.. I don't read their statements. :eek:

I was changing the car and I needed to shift the tag to the new car so I needed my account number. Went to get it from a statement (I never read my statements either) when I noticed there was a toll for a Friday evening - I knew I hadn't been anywhere on any recent Friday evening.

Then I saw it was for a HGV! I don't drive a HGV (even if I wanted to I'm not licensed). I then went back over a few more statements and found more examples. Rang them to get it sorted and they said they couldn't get the CCTV footage - I told them that was irrelevant, the tag was linked to a saloon car but I was getting charged HGV tolls. And so it began.

Moral of the story: Read and check your statements! I do now and the last one had another mistake on it. This time I was quicker of the mark and it was sorted a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lassiegohome

I'm having an ongoing problem with an electrical item bought from Powercity. It's broken 3 times in less than 5 months when I bought it. I ve obviously been onto the store who have been horrible to deal with, insisting that I cannot be given a refund or replacement as it's store policy. Their policy does not affect my rights as a consumer, so anyone else having problems with them contact customer rights. I've now lodged a claim to the small claims court ( very easy to do online) and will see how it go's. But it all seems so unnecessary, if they just treated their customers how they would like to be treated themselves in a similar situation.

Moved to Best/worst customer service experience thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 snyc224

I bought a car from <SNIP> last February and I wouldn't recommend doing any business with them whatsoever.

I found the salesman very hard to haggle with he would only move 50e from the sale price, but it was a good price for the car so I bought it.

About a month later a sensor went on the car and as he had given a 3 month warranty i went back and they said they would fix it. When i left the car in there was almost a full tank of diesel and when I got it back it was just empty although the problem seemed to be fixed so i didn't mind that much. But 10 weeks later the same thing happened again but they said they wouldn't do anything because it was out of warranty. I tried to dispute this but got nowhere. My local mechanic fixed it in the end for 100e and its running fine now.

Whilst all of this was going on I still hadn't received the tax book. I rang dozens of times, called into the showroom and still got nowhere. They kept giving excuses about there system and the motor tax office but I was in contact with them and they said the y had not received anything from <SNIP>. So I told them i was going to the society of irish motoring (SIMI). About 2 weeks later i received the tax book at the beginning of SEPTEMBER 7 months after i had bought the car! So I would advise to bring your business elsewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Thanks for the information Kickkat, duly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As a SCC case is going ahead, I am merging this into the Best/Worst Customer Service thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

To be honest, it looks like you registered to name and shame a company and I think it was fair that the moderator removed the names from the post, though the website is still named there.
    It seems it was just a mistake and they were being unfair in having you pay the costs to return the item. Probably by how you came across on your emails/phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ulster <SNIP> - chased me for a 9 CENT arrears on my mortgage.

Sky - Missed one payment after 15 years and was cut off. <SNIP>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ebbsy wrote: »
    Sky - Missed one payment after 15 years and was cut off. <SNIP>.

You missed a payment, why would you receive a service if you havnt paid for it? It's in the T&Cs you signed up for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Had two very different experiences in Cork City lately.

We recently had to buy a new telly as the old one went bang. :( So off we trotted to Currys and bought a new Sony. The picture was brilliant, but the sound so poor we had to get a soundbar.

Went into town (Cork City). Went to Murphy's. The fellas in there were extremely knowledgeable and pointed us in the direction of a Philips model. Very patient too as we made a bit of a hash in setting it up, and even offered to come out to us if we were still stuck. We got there in the end, and think we'll go to them again if we need anything electrical. Excellent service.

On the other hand. I went into Eason's on Patrick St. The assistant was sitting at the till with a face like a well-slapped arse. I wandered up, smiled and said hello, asked for a Lottery ticket and a packet of fags.

She literally threw them across the counter. I paid her putting the money in her hand. The change was slapped back down on the counter, ignoring my outstretched hand, and then she turned away. Beyond rude. I really hate when that happens. Sadly, I looked for a supervisor and couldn't find one, so I had to leave as my meter was running out.

Service in Eason's seems to be very hit and miss. Some really lovely, pleasant ladies there, along with some horrible, rude and nasty old boots.

Advertisement