Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black tie wedding or no??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

A pub? Oh no...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Some odd contributions to this thread.

In my experience, most people have their own tux. With BlackTie gone, where does one even go to rent a tux?

The "wear a black tie with a suit" stuff is an abomination. "Black Tie" is shorthand for evening wear - Not carte blanche to wear anything. It screams classless chav.

And as another poster pointed out, "black tie" during the day is an abomination. It's evening wear, so unless the ceremony is in the evening, it's ridiculous.

I don't know a single person who owns their own tux. Most people I know would have no occasion to wear one. No way would I attend such a wedding, Buy a ball gown only to leave it sit in the wardrobe. Utter pretentious rubbish. I find the above comment about classless chav very ignorant. If you want people to celebrate a happy day with you, why do you care what they wear once they are happy and sharing your joy. I'd rather that to twenty twats in ill fitting tuxes bitching about you at the bar, free or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I went to a blacktie wedding a couple of years ago, and another a lot of years ago.

In theory I love the idea - although I absolutely HATE the idea of trying to find an outfit to suit the occasion.

Both were winter weddings - one in a very posh 5* location, one in a much less formal setting.

The blacktie dresscode definitely suited the posh one (which was the one years ago so I can't remember much of the detail of it). You'd have felt odd in that place in less than black tie, IMO.

The not so posh one - well, not so much. I'm not sure why they went for blacktie. The oddest part of it was getting all poshed up - and some really did turn up in floor-length gowns, although not many - for a sunny 1pm ceremony. It all felt great that evening, but wandering around in full evening dress at lunchtime is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Some odd contributions to this thread.

In my experience, most people have their own tux. With BlackTie gone, where does one even go to rent a tux?

The "wear a black tie with a suit" stuff is an abomination. "Black Tie" is shorthand for evening wear - Not carte blanche to wear anything. It screams classless chav.

And as another poster pointed out, "black tie" during the day is an abomination. It's evening wear, so unless the ceremony is in the evening, it's ridiculous.

Wow. Just wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I think Larry Wildman's contribution may be a the oddest of all. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Larry's right on two points:

Black Tie is evening wear. To wear it for a daytime event is a faux pas. You could just about get away with it if the event was late afternoon, in which case the ladies could wear a cocktail dress.

And I personally don't like the lounge suits with a black tie. It looks off-key.

But the idea that most people own a tux is ridiculous. I know of only two people (in London) who own one. Most people I know would need to rent one. And getting evening gowns/cocktail dresses and the appropriate accessories is pretty expensive for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Perhaps in your social circles most people own a tux, but that is far from the norm and the vast majority would have to rent one for a black tie wedding. However if I needed to rent one, I certainly wouldn't have gone to Black Tie as the quality there was awful. There are plenty of good quality suit hire companies, but given the preference I'd rather not have to use one as I'm not a fan of black tie weddings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I have six close friends...we all own our own tux's.

Virtually every guy I work with has their own tux.

It makes economic sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My husband has his own tux... He bought it for the first black tie wedding we went to, and wore it to another few since. He's worn it to the odd other event as well.

I think it depends on your circle of friends and family.

The average boardsie (aka teenage/twenties boy) isn't going to have one, so I wouldn't worry too much about what they think.

Ask your own gang.

I like black tie weddings myself... I love to get the chance to wear something out of my normal range of clothes. Ladies can rent swanky dresses as well btw... For less than the cost of a regular dress usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Love Black Tie Weddings.

Do many of your friends own Tuxes? If so I would go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

After my earlier rant, I actually own a tux, but it still annoys me when people have it as a dress code for a wedding. I bought mine about 5 years ago in marks and spencers for around 120 quid, it has paid itself back around 8 times over with 2 weddings and around 7 functions since then.

A few other friends would own tuxes, but most people at the black tie weddings I was at rented.

Ps, if you do black tie, please make sure that the staff of the venue don't get their waiters to dress in similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

pwurple wrote: »

The average boardsie (aka teenage/twenties boy)

We need a poll right now!

It makes economic sense.

Wow, what a useful, non-anecdotal sample size. :pac:

It makes economic sense.

Do you work in Anglo? That makes sense

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Wow, what a useful, non-anecdotal sample size. :pac:

You seem to think that owning a tux is odd.

Strange.

CaraMay wrote: »
    Do you work in Anglo? That makes sense

Anglo doesn't exist anymore.

Who do M&S sell all those tuxes to?

I'd love to know, given that nobody here seems to own one yet M&S have a tux section in every menswear department.

It's a very sensible purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My husband has a tux. He rented it for a work event and when he went to return it a few days later the place had closed down! Happy days... Free tux!!! Not for the shop tho of course.... I always thought it looked a bit wierd on him tho. I think rented suits/tuxes always look a bit Ill fitting on people...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I personally think a dress code is a little bit much to impose on guests seeing as it is costly enough to go to a wedding in Ireland & they may have another item of clothing lined up for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I actually like black tie events, and I like to really dress up on occasion, but usually a black tie wedding is not going to be a proper evening party in a pretty plush environment.

• Advertisement

Strange.

YOU WIN THE COMEBACK DUEL. :pac:

Strange.

YOU WIN THE COMEBACK DUEL. :pac:

Anyway, as said, if you want people to wear black tie, better host a black tie level event with a black tie budget.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys can we keep it on topic, ie: answering the question that was asked in the OP.

Anglo doesn't exist anymore.

Who do M&S sell all those tuxes to?

I'd love to know, given that nobody here seems to own one yet M&S have a tux section in every menswear department.

It's a very sensible purchase.

Oops sorry I thought you were seanie fitz

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My husband has a tux. He rented it for a work event and when he went to return it a few days later the place had closed down! Happy days... Free tux!!! Not for the shop tho of course.... I always thought it looked a bit wierd on him tho. I think rented suits/tuxes always look a bit Ill fitting on people...

I agree, the rented ones are not great, that was why my husband bought one at the time. Fit makes all the difference in any kind of suit. Your husband could get it tailored to himself pretty cheaply I'd say!

Black Tie the rental place was really manky... Some of the suits were not cleaned properly and were a bit smelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I agree, the rented ones are not great, that was why my husband bought one at the time. Fit makes all the difference in any kind of suit. Your husband could get it tailored to himself pretty cheaply I'd say!

Black Tie the rental place was really manky... Some of the suits were not cleaned properly and were a bit smelly.

Lol... That's where he rented his from!!

Reasonable people think it's absolutely ridiculous to enforce a dress code on your guests.

There is always a dress code at weddings. People don't show up in sports gear, or jeans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A dinner suit is not expensive to buy - a good deal less than a regular suit - and is a sensible purchase if your style of life is going to bring you to black tie functions a couple of times a year - trade or professional association dinners, that kind of thing. Apart from the saving in cost, there's the convenience of not having to go and rent the bloody thing every time you need one, and then bring it back afterwards. Plus, you don't have your sweat-stains cross-pollinating somebody else's.

Having said that, lots of people have no regular call for a dinner jacket and don't own one, and requiring them to hire one so they can attend your wedding would strike me as a bit of an imposition. If I were a guest who didn't own a dinner jacket, I would feel a bit put upon. I'd grumble a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

There is always a dress code at weddings. People don't show up in sports gear, or jeans etc.

Most men already own a suit and many women don't buy a new outfit for every wedding. The point being made is that by specifying black the, the bride and groom is most likely enforcing a further cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I've only ever attened one black tie wedding and I remember it for all the wrong reasons. A black tie function to me implies punctuality preparedness and professionalism. The whole thing goes out the window if these are not present.
    If I oblige the bride and groom by turning up as requested i'd expect them to return the favour.
    It doesn't bode well if a wedding at 1.00 doesn't start till 1.55 because the bride can't be bothered. A hotel who haven't put on enough drinks for when guests arrive at the hotel.
    The meal should be run with precision. Not some people getting the soup while others are tucking into dessert.
    Feeling hungry later because meal was slack with no second helpings.
    Then the room requires that nearly all seating be removed so the dancing and music can begin.
    Spending 4 hrs standing is not my idea of enjoyment.
    Black tie is fine but you have got to get it right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement