Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Tunnel open for passengers tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭satguy

Back in the day, the old C.I.E. Mystery Train, in the early 70's used to go from Connolly station to Heuston station via the Park Tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Already sold out.

Bummer ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

satguy wrote: »
    Back in the day, the old C.I.E. Mystery Train, in the early 70's used to go from Connolly station to Heuston station via the Park Tunnel.

Didn't they open it up the odd time for all Irelands etc.
    I remember the ould lad telling me.
    If I'm right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

They still do open it sometimes for All Ireland finals and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I could never understand why GAA specials weren't run into Drumcondra, or better still why there wasn't a station built beside Croke Park for that exact purpose.

I've been through the tunnel myself. In the late 1990s one of the Sunday trains from Galway was timetabled to call at Heuston and then Connolly. From Connolly it then became a Dundalk train.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Drumcondra is usually closed for matchs, same as Landsdown Road station.

Drumcondra is usually closed for matchs,
    No it's not. It's a focal point for regular services plus any extra services from Maynooth that are put on for match day. Stations like Maynooth and Leixlip LB become Park & Rides for the day. I use it myself on match days.

Drumcondra is usually closed for matchs, same as Landsdown Road station.

No it's not. And neither is Landsdowne Rd. I think its Grand Canal Dock you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

January wrote: »
    They still do open it sometimes for All Ireland finals and the like.

Not anymore, think a big part of the problem was passenger confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not anymore, think a big part of the problem was passenger confusion.

Why? Sounds like another CIE cop-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The line is not closed for services as such. There are no scheduled services over the line at present. There is nothing stopping IE from running a service through the PPT.

There have been numerous RPSI operated specials with hundreds of passengers on them each time this year going through the PPT. Traditionally the RPSI specials start in Connolly no matter what part of the country they are going to. So you go under the park to get to the Heuston side.

The Drumcondra thing at matches is a crowd control issue. The station is not designed for massive crowds, especially if there are multiple intercity services trying to pick up along with the Maynooth line services which many fans use as a park and ride.

Sadly the reason Connolly does not really get used anymore (there were two specials for a football match recently if I remember correctly) is as a result of drivers route knowledge. Typically to run a special to Connolly a driver from Connolly would have to work it between Islandbridge Junction (beside Heuston) to Connolly and the same again that evening on the return. This adds to the cost of running such specials. There are of course some regional drivers who do sign the road to Connolly but they are very few these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In other words the State and their offspring (CIE) cannot get it together to organise rail transport to the biggest stadium on the island - which is adjacent to two rail lines. How quaintly Irish.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.360712,-6.251209,17z?hl=en

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

In other words the State and their offspring (CIE) cannot get it together to organise rail transport to the biggest stadium on the island - which is adjacent to two rail lines. How quaintly Irish.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.360712,-6.251209,17z?hl=en

To be fair Drumcondra station is only just a couple of minutes walk down the road. It seems to get pretty heavy usage during match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Plus there are matchday extra trains to Drumcondra from Maynooth serving all stations.

To be fair Drumcondra station is only just a couple of minutes walk down the road. It seems to get pretty heavy usage during match days.

It's at least a 20 minute walk.

It would have been really useful and fairly cheap if they had put a platform on the line that runs under the Davin Stand, running the length between Ardilaun Square and Jones Road. Match day specials could terminate there nicely without affecting regular traffic.

I'd say the local publicans would lobby against that though, if they haven't already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

n97 mini wrote: »

It would have been really useful and fairly cheap if they had put a platform on the line that runs under the Davin Stand, running the length between Ardilaun Square and Jones Road. Match day specials could terminate there nicely without affecting regular traffic.

I'd say the local publicans would lobby against that though, if they haven't already.

Its only 500 metres away from the stadium, although I guess on match day foot traffic would be slower.

Agreed that it would be nice to have an onsite platform, but I can see why its not a priority for Irish Rail at the moment.

Whatever work was needed should have been done as part of the Croke Park redevelopment. The GAA should have had to pay for a new platform as part of the planning permission.

What? :eek:

The Drumcondra station is at the top of Clonliffe Rd FFS. Croke Park is no more than 5 minutes away. If you are going to the Cusack Stand or the Hill, you have to walk a bit further than if you are entering the Hogan Stand via the Jones Rd entrance, but it's no where near a 20 minutes walk.

Sure you'd walk from Drumcondra to Connolly station in 20mins no problem unless you have a limp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I could never understand why GAA specials weren't run into Drumcondra, or better still why there wasn't a station built beside Croke Park for that exact purpose.

I've been through the tunnel myself. In the late 1990s one of the Sunday trains from Galway was timetabled to call at Heuston and then Connolly. From Connolly it then became a Dundalk train.

The main reason why Drumcondra station doesn't handle match day specials because it and it's environs are unable to cope with the huge numbers match day specials would bring. It can handle the crowds that come in on Maynooth line trains at a squeeze but that's about it; try putting thousands waiting for their trips home alongside the local traffic and it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Secondary to all this, the dwell times required to alight and board hundreds at a time makes for a small amount of paths available for trains on the day. Those who use Lansdowne Road on match days may see how long this actually takes.

In any case, the specials still need to go back to Connolly or Heuston for stabling and servicing so it's safer and more practical for the trains to terminate here and for passengers to disperse at their own leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and of course everybody is afraid of the publicans. i say build it anyway

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Why? Sounds like another CIE cop-out.

Half specials going to Heuston and the other half going to Connolly. People can be really tick especially when it comes to transport.

I'm sure part of the reason is to suit IE operationally but I can also see it from there side as usually they will be 4-6 specials on big days and which do you decide to send over as Connolly couldn't handle all in its current state. Then I believe there is the driver thing which just adds to the cost as most Heuston drivers are not allowed past Heuston (remember reading it here before).

As for the Connolly/Drumcondra thing don't the trains pass the station anyway, so is it not just a case of stopping for a few minutes. Before the match shouldn't be a problem however for crowd control departing Connolly would be required.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What? :eek:

The Drumcondra station is at the top of Clonliffe Rd FFS. Croke Park is no more than 5 minutes away. If you are going to the Cusack Stand or the Hill, you have to walk a bit further than if you are entering the Hogan Stand via the Jones Rd entrance, but it's no where near a 20 minutes walk.

It is on match days

In any case, the specials still need to go back to Connolly or Heuston for stabling and servicing so it's safer and more practical for the trains to terminate here and for passengers to disperse at their own leisure.

Ah shur it's safer for IE to not run any trains at all, and just let people make their own leisurely way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Rawr

Even if they did build a station under the Croke Park, only Sligo/Maynooth line trains would be able to easily access it.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.366111,-6.2758342,18z

In the current layout, any train coming from the Pheonix Park Tunnel would have to reverse towards Broombridge before being able to continue towards Croker on the "Docklands" line.

If this junction were to be modified to allow direct access via the tunnel, then a possible "Croke Park Station" could serve GAA specials from much of the network.

Rawr wrote: »
    Even if they did build a station under the Croke Park, only Sligo/Maynooth line trains would be able to easily access it.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.366111,-6.2758342,18z

In the current layout, any train coming from the Pheonix Park Tunnel would have to reverse towards Broombridge before being able to continue towards Croker on the "Docklands" line.

If this junction were to be modified to allow direct access via the tunnel, then a possible "Croke Park Station" could serve GAA specials from much of the network.

They also could have run into Northwall via Osery Road and reverse into the Docklands line but they removed that link a few weeks ago.

They also could have run into Northwall via Osery Road and reverse into the Docklands line but they removed that link a few weeks ago.

Where do you stable and service the sets having done all of that?

Where do you stable and service the sets having done all of that?

Could go back up the direct curve into Connolly plat 7 and either use the two sidings off platform 7, in behind the valet plant at Connolly or go on to the Boston sidings at Pearse. Could stable a set or two at the unused platform at Docklands as it only ever needs one free for about 2.5hrs of a day. Could also store a good few in Northwall now with the Mk3 clear out finished, NIR C3Ks can stable in Dundalk yard just fine so it's as good a place as any.

• Advertisement

Could go back up the direct curve into Connolly plat 7 and either use the two sidings off platform 7, in behind the valet plant at Connolly or go on to the Boston sidings at Pearse. Could stable a set or two at the unused platform at Docklands as it only ever needs one free for about 2.5hrs of a day. Could also store a good few in Northwall now with the Mk3 clear out finished, NIR C3Ks can stable in Dundalk yard just fine so it's as good a place as any.

You can't refuel, discharge or water sets in Docklands though so sooner or later they need to get into Connolly and ideally to the Valet plant or platform one. It's far more practical and quicker to send specials into Connolly directly rather than complex shunting manoeuvres into and out of Connolly via Newcomen or North Wall/Church Road junction.

Advertisement