Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Halloween/horror films?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Cannibal Holocaust was good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head.....

The Omen (original)

The Fog (1980 original)

The Others

The Exorcist

The Shining

The Ring

Don't Look Now

Salem's Lot (effects are now dated, but it's scary)

Pet Semetary

The Wicker Man

The old ones are the best. I'd add The Seventh Seal and Masque of the Red Death to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Akrasia wrote: »
    'VHS' is good. It's a bunch of short stories, my wife was quivering like a leaf who'd just seen a ghost.

I think it's on netflix

VHS 2 is just as good.
    Afflicted is another good one, handycam movie but good take on the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The old ones are the best.

They're not really though. Bad acting, crap effects, generally silly story lines. Nostalgic sure but good horror movies they're not.

smash wrote: »
    They're not really though. Bad acting, crap effects, generally silly story lines. Nostalgic sure but good horror movies they're not.

Get out.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Crazy sh-t is going to get recommended on this thread, like A Serbian Film.

They asked for Halloween films remember - doesn't mean they'll be able for the extreme stuff! :pac:

Yeh Martyrs (terrifying, disturbing film that kept me awake that night, but it's good) and its ilk are not horror in the traditional sense (Halloween, Evil Dead etc) at all.
    "Extreme", maybe "exploitation" is the term I'd use for the likes of Martyrs.

If I were recommending it, I'd do so with a huge "Not for everyone" disclaimer. It contains very extreme violence, and torture that I had to switch off. I didn't watch the end (I know what happens though).

I don't usually watch those extreme movies but I decided to give Martyrs a go because the storyline did seem very good.

See when comes to horror movies everyone's different.

I collect horror movies and I collect very extreme ones also because I find violence in one way entertaining in a sense cause it tends to have no affect on me.

I actually go out of my way to find the craziest films I can find!

Get out.:p
    No, you never get out.... you run upstairs and into a room where there's no possible escape. Preferably in your underwear :pac:
    Crazy sh-t is going to get recommended on this thread, like A Serbian Film.

Yet you're the first person to mention it...
    I actually go out of my way to find the craziest films I can find!
    ichi the killer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Trick r Treat is the essential modern Halloween horror movie.

No, you never get out.... you run upstairs and into a room where there's no possible escape. Preferably in your underwear :pac:

ichi the killer?

It always annoys me when they run upstairs with no escape, makes me want to bitch slap some sense into them.:D

• Advertisement

It always annoys me when they run upstairs with no escape, makes me want to bitch slap some sense into them.:D

but, but , but.... hollywood, underwear, boobs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The Human Centipede.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Deliberate missing of point. With snideness thrown in too.

ur kule

Right so, Cannibal Holocaust and Martyrs were mentioned. These are very much not for everyone so it's best to let the OP know this, in case they're only looking for more run-of-the-mill horror movies and don't have the stomach for the extreme stuff.

ichi the killer?

I'll raise your ichi the killer with Gozu! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the hoard is a good french zombie movie.
    any of the REC films.
    WER is ok.
    Open grave.
    Triangle is more of a mystery film than scary but still good.
    Maniac with elijah wood is deadly.
    The rite with anthony hopkins.
    The ninth gate is again not really a horror but still a great film.

The Human Centipede.

Nope but the second one ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Gonna quote myself here from a previous thread:
    The Descent - six ladies go caving (spelunking?) and if the claustrophobia doesn't get you, what they find down there definitely will.

The Ring - the American version is all the best bits of the first two Japanese ones combined. Watch a creepy video and, in seven days, you die. Nb. Never never watch The Ring 2, it's frighteningly terrible, and not in a good way.

REC - news crew follow a group of firemen around Barcelona for the night. They get a call to go to an apartment block where some of the inhabitants have started to act a little *strangely*. I like how frantic the characters sound speaking Spanish when they are just talking about their dinner, etc. and how this really amps up when things start to go horribly monstrous.

Les Diaboliques - the wife and mistress of a school's headmaster plot to murder him and make it appear that he drowned in the school swimming pool. All goes well until the pool is emptied and he ain't in there.

The Haunting - great spooky tension build up in a big haunted house. The nineties remake is terrible, by the way.

Nosferatu - nearly a hundred years old, but still setting a high bar for atmospheric creepiness. How did they get such a scary looking fellow to be the vampire? Watch the wonderful Shadow of the Vampire for an entertaining explanation.

On Netflix currently: Shadow of the Vampire is on some variety of Netflix, so is Nosferatu, and the Coppola version of Dracula.
    I saw Stakeland on netflix too. It's pretty darn good.
    Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are bonkers and good fun.
    Zombieland is entertaining too, and it has a wonderful Bill Murray cameo in it.

but, but , but.... hollywood, underwear, boobs! :D

I know, I know, it's Hollywoods way of identifying the sluts. The sluts are always the first to be killed.:D

FatherLen wrote: »
    the hoard is a good french zombie movie.
    any of the REC films.
    WER is ok.
    Open grave.
    Triangle is more of a mystery film than scary but still good.
    Maniac with elijah wood is deadly.
    The rite with anthony hopkins.
    The ninth gate is again not really a horror but still a great film.

No, just NO.... it's pants :P

Deliberate missing of point. With snideness thrown in too.

ur kule

Right so, Cannibal Holocaust and Martyrs were mentioned. These are very much not for everyone so it's best to let the OP know this, in case they're only looking for more run-of-the-mill horror movies and don't have the stomach for the extreme stuff.

If there looking for something they might get scare out of without them being over the top violent the two Asian films I mentioned are perfect so.

Kairo and Dark water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Does A Serbian Film even count as horror? Its just mental, super ****ed up.

Mama is a bit over the top in places but its a really jumpy film
    Splinter is crap but it'll make your skin crawl watching it

Does A Serbian Film even count as horror? Its just mental, no gore or anything just super ****ed up.
    No gore? Did you watch it?

Does A Serbian Film even count as horror? Its just mental, no gore or anything just super ****ed up.

Mama is a bit over the top in places but its a really jumpy film
    Splinter is crap but it'll make your skin crawl watching it

Nah its not horror just extreme for the sake of it.
    The Human Centipede two similar in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You should watch the Exorcist if you want cheering up. It is so ridiculously funny in parts. They were really sensitive souls back in the 70's with the reaction that movie got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't think I'd have agreed with How Soon Is Now about anything, but he's right about one thing, nobody makes a horror quite like Japan or Korea. They like to build things up slowly, they're creepy and atmospheric instead of relying on shock tactics.

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd have agreed with How Soon Is Now about anything, but he's right about one thing, nobody makes a horror quite like Japan or Korea. They like to build things up slowly, they're creepy and atmospheric instead of relying on shock tactics.

Lol!

I dunno how I'm supposed to answer this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Lol!

I dunno how I'm supposed to answer this.

We agree on something, all the rules are flung out the window, question everything! Up is sideways, pi is exactly 3, the time to panic is now! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

nuclear war movie threads will traumatise you from beginning to end. no joke. expects sleepless night for months afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

nuclear war movie threads will traumatise you from beginning to end. no joke. expects sleepless night for months afterwards.

This. Frightened the **** out of me, and its on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gabbit

For Halloween it has to be OTT 80's horror movies. Re-Animator or Demons should fit the bill nicely.

Advertisement