Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai now wearing personal video recording devices !

Options
  • 10-10-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Ok so I've been watching a lot of the water meter protests on YouTube and have noticed on occasion some type of device clipped onto officers jackets on the opposite side to their radios. I initial thought it might be a video camera, but always said to myself such devices would not be issued to Gardai for another couple of years as we are always 5/10 years behind the NYPD and the met.

However this video http://youtu.be/OLKo8Jztd6c is the first I have seen where the video camera is clearly visible.

Unlike the met and NYPD there is no notice to the effect saying that "CCTV recording taking place". I wonder can such recordings be used in court ?

If anybody has any info on these devices please share !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

3fullback wrote: »
    Ok so I've been watching a lot of the water meter protests on YouTube and have noticed on occasion some type of device clipped onto officers jackets on the opposite side to their radios. I initial thought it might be a video camera, but always said to myself such devices would not be issued to Gardai for another couple of years as we are always 5/10 years behind the NYPD and the met.

However this video http://youtu.be/OLKo8Jztd6c is the first I have seen where the video camera is clearly visible.

Unlike the met and NYPD there is no notice to the effect saying that "CCTV recording taking place". I wonder can such recordings be used in court ?

If anybody has any info on these devices please share !

If they are in a public place they wouldn't need to advertise it would they? Also it gives their perspective of what happened if there is a case bought against them. I find the protesters video's seem to be edited to show only what they want to be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Very clever on the Gardai side

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

Is there not a law saying that it couldn't be used in court because the person is unaware of getting recorded.

Because as far as I know if you voice record somebody it can't be used as evidence but maybe video is different

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If anybody has any info on these devices

loads
    please share !

no

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

gctest50 wrote: »
    loads

no

Cheers for your input hope your application for the CIA goes well for ya !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Is there not a law saying that it couldn't be used in court because the person is unaware of getting recorded.

Because as far as I know if you voice record somebody it can't be used as evidence but maybe video is different

How is it different to the hundreds of Garda CCTV camera all over the city, that dont have any sign saying they are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

If that was the case then various highly edited videos could not be used as evidence of alleged Garda misconduct. Where the recording takes place makes a difference, public place versus private.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Is that a serious question? Why would anyone create such a law?

By that logic witnesses could not be called if the plaintiff was unaware the witness could see what the plaintiff was doing!

I think bugging a phone without a court order can't be used in court but a recording made by one
    of the people actually on the call is admissible even if they didn't make the other person on the call aware they were recording it as they are recording their own call.

Afaik recordings (audio and/or video) made in public places don't require anyone's permission regardless of whether the recording device is openly visible or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So going by your logic should RTE inform anyone at televised sporting events such as the All-Ireland that there are been recorded :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

So going by your logic should RTE inform anyone at televised sporting events such as the All-Ireland that there are been recorded :confused:

Damn RTE caught me in Croker for one particular All-Ireland with my Late Loving Dad; sun shining and there I was sunning myself. Received a call from home asking about my sunscreen - at home watching me live :o

It's a good idea these camers. About time, and I hope it works well for members. Their word has become increadingly difficult to take, so with them having their own personal recording devices, it makes it just a tad easier to re-build trust in them.

Just my opinion,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Gardaí purchase and wear these of their own accord because the level of false complaints against them is so high. It helps to be able to put another side to the story when the Ombudsman comes knocking. You wouldn't know it from that video but a few seconds before it there had been a big struggle after protesters tried to charge through the Gardaí.

Incidentally, if anyone can recommend a good one I'd appreciate a PM

Gardaí purchase and wear these of their own accord because the level of false complaints against them is so high.

I don't believe you. I believe they are issued to them as part of their kit these days.

BenEadir wrote: »
    I don't believe you. I believe they are issued to them as part of their kit these days.

Whatever floats your boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Only one guard had a video on his jacket on that video. I couldnt see it on the others.

I think its a good idea. I dont think the battery life would be good enough for a whole shift. So stuff would still be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It's almost as if these days if there is no CCTV. Well it never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's something Which should really be mandatory for all members while in uniform We'd see the number of bs complaints plummet when the scrote knows it's all on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zambia wrote: »
    It's almost as if these days if there is no CCTV. Well it never happened

A picture tells a thousand words, a video tells the story.

Del2005 wrote: »
    A picture tells a thousand words, a video tells the story.

I think you are missing the point. While footage is excellent to have, a lack of it does not mean nothing took place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

From the clip I saw of Irish water protesters it looked like the mob were doing all they could to provoke gardai into a response.

They also look like they love the sound of their own voice.

No wonder members want a record
    Of events

bravestar wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point. While footage is excellent to have, a lack of it does not mean nothing took place.

Correct but having video makes proving what took place a lot easier and will result in more convictions with less effort which improves Gardai/DPP efficiency and that's good for society and taxpayers in general.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    It's something Which should really be mandatory for all members while in uniform We'd see the number of bs complaints plummet when the scrote knows it's all on camera.

Alleged scrote

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No, it's not.

No, it's not.

OK, let me clarify. I believe some Gardai are issued these cameras by the force. I don't believe all Gardai get it as standard issue in case that was inferred by what I said. I also don't believe Gardai are supplying them personally themselves. I also don't think individual Gardai are allowed to bring their own equipment to the job even if they wanted to.

OK, let me clarify. I believe some Gardai are issued these cameras by the force. I don't believe all Gardai get it as standard issue in case that was inferred by what I said. I also don't believe Gardai are supplying them personally themselves. I also don't think individual Gardai are allowed to bring their own equipment to the job even if they wanted to.

Well you are being told differently in a forum populated by Gardaí so maybe it's time to change your view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Slightly off topic, but wouldn't it be ironic if the Gardai used water cannon on the protesters 

I think as you enter our large cities there are signs warning you that Garda CCTV is in operation. If the Gardai use fixed or mobile cameras, that's up to them.

I remember being at football matches in the UK and the English Police would walk past the stand with a video camera. Maybe if people see the camera in operation they will be less tempted to misbehave.

Anyway - turn on the water cannon!!!

Well you are being told differently in a forum populated by Gardaí so maybe it's time to change your view.

How exactly do you know this thread is populated by Gardai? Are you one? Has anyone else here confirmed they are a serving member? If you/they do confirm they are serving Gardai and confirm a) Gardai are permitted to use their own personal equipment if they so wish and b) the force don't issue personal video cameras to some Gardai I will happily accept what you/they say and change my view, no problem.

How exactly do you know this thread is populated by Gardai? Are you one? Has anyone else here confirmed they are a serving member? If you/they do confirm they are serving Gardai and confirm a) Gardai are permitted to use their own personal equipment if they so wish and b) the force don't issue personal video cameras to some Gardai I will happily accept what you/they say and change my view, no problem.

Facepalm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

I thought the very title of these threads was a give away, ' Emergency Services'.
    Same way that there are plumbers in the plumbing section and electricians in the electrical section.
    So yes there are serving Garda members in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

seamus wrote: »

We would also see the number of legitimate complaints plummet as the Guards would just record what suits them, making it harder for them to be held accountable for their misconduct.

• Advertisement

bravestar wrote: »
    Facepalm...
    QED

Advertisement