Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

catbear wrote: »
    The climate of fear continues.

Well Terrorism by it's own definition is a climate of fear, ie. to Terrorise
    terrorize
    ˈtɛrərʌɪz/
    verb
    verb: terrorise
    create and maintain a state of extreme fear and distress in (someone); fill with terror.
    "he used his private army to terrorize the population"
    synonyms: strike terror in/into, fill with terror, scare, frighten, terrify, petrify; More

There have been Terrorists arrested and imprisoned, recently killed and had passport cancelled and Australian born Terrorists pictured holding severed heads.

So it's hardly as you would want us to believe some sort of conspiracy concocted by the likes of Rupert Murdoch to fool the Australian nation that these poor people are being singled out by a racist government. These people exist for real oh how disappointing that must be for you....you do love a good hand wringing session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ireland and Finland not having a military presence in the current conflict doesn't mean their aid workers won't be targets.

Anyway Abbots fear climate is just todays version of Pauline Hanson
    I believe we are in danger of being swamped by Asians. Between 1984 and 1995, 40% of all migrants coming into this country were of Asian origin. They have their own culture and religion, form ghettos and do not assimilate.
    Where did that Asian invasion hysteria go?

Oh yeah, someone elses turn now.

fear.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Ireland and Finland not having a military presence in the current conflict doesn't mean their aid workers won't be targets.

Military presence has nothing to do with it, Australia and the Australian people were threatened before Tony Abbot sent in Troops (not even sure if Troops have been deployed on the ground yet?) and Air Strikes, Aid Workers in this conflict are over in Iraq and Syria and not on Australian soil where specific threats were made, are you getting it yet?

Anyway................

I will just go and take that as a "you dont have a clue" answer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Anyway Abbots fear climate is just todays version of Pauline Hanson

Where did that Asian invasion hysteria go?

Asians have mixed in well....for one, Asians and whites marry and there are no issues.

You probably won't see a Muslim marrying a non Muslim as they'd have to give up their religion.

Anyway, Muslims are not a race.

I don't think anyone really has an issue with Turks or Bosnians coming in.

I would love to see the Arab Muslims become secular and for Western nations to stop grabbing Arab oil.

sin_city wrote: »

I don't think anyone really has an issue with Turks or Bosnians coming in.

I would love to see the Arab Muslims become secular and for Western nations to stop grabbing Arab oil.
    I know cultural muslims who feel the same.

The New York Times take on the Abbot fear offensive against Australians.
    For Mr. Abbott, the emergence of the Islamic State has offered an opportunity to lift his popularity at home. Political commentators say they believe the prime minister’s standing has vastly improved since May, when he introduced an unpopular first budget that cut spending on schools, hospitals and older adults. Afterward, polls showed the opposition Labor Party ahead of Mr. Abbott’s conservative Liberal Party.

“The policies are designed to create and exploit an atmosphere of hysteria,” said Allan Behm, a former senior defense official who is now a risk analyst. “Australians don’t have to be scratched too hard to find xenophobic — not to mention racist — attitudes. That’s why the government should exercise extreme caution when they may have to move against individuals on national security grounds.”

Mr. Behm warned that Mr. Abbott should not expect to emulate Margaret Thatcher, the former British prime minister, whom Mr. Abbott has said he greatly admires. When he completed a triathlon in 14 hours in 2010, Mr. Abbott drew a favorable comparison between himself as the “Iron Man” and Mrs. Thatcher, who was known as the Iron Lady.

“The prime minister thinks he’s Margaret Thatcher, and that he can win the next election,” Mr. Behm said, “not by invading the Falklands but by dropping bombs on Iraq.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/asia/australia-tony-abbott-isis-muslims.html?_r=0

• Advertisement

Not the best link to be honest, it's full of flaws and bias. While being more anti Rupert Murdoch than anti Tony Abbott
    Australian Premier Moves Swiftly Against ISIS, but Analysts Question Benefits

Australia has a Prime Minister, Australian States have a Premier..... :rolleyes:

Mr. Abbott followed up with sweeping counterterrorism raids in two cities, aimed at followers of the Islamic State. the raids resulted in just two arrests, but they helped the government look tough in confronting homegrown Muslim radicals

I don't know about the rest of Australia but the arrest of just one potential terrorist who's sole aim was the murder of innocent Australians would have been enough, besides I would be under the impression that the AFP and the State Police Forces lead and conducted the Counter Terrorism raids, I did not see Tony Abbott in his Budgie Smugglers floating about

Sorry to shoot down your link, but it was rubbish, you must have spent a long time looking for it.

The Aussie wrote: »

Sorry to shoot down your link, but it was rubbish, you must have spent a long time looking for it.
    Got it from Aussie facebook friends. I'm sure there'll be more to follow now that there's talk of a war tax.

Got it from Aussie facebook friends. I'm sure there'll be more to follow now that there's talk of a war tax.

imagejpg1_zps80d27ba8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What are wars not free?

The war has the support of labour and the majority of the Australian people. Regardless of who is pm we are at war.

The fact is ISIL and their followers murfered and bullied their way to this point. At some point the dog has to come of the leash.

Is abbot a great leader ? No but he is doing what I want him to do on this subject , f:;k yes. In fact those nations including Ireland who are not joining in the fight against them maybe should reflect a bit on where they draw the line.

I know cultural muslims who feel the same.

Feel the same as what?

• Advertisement

Abbot is just doing what he is told to do on foreign affairs.

Who was the last Australian or NZ leader to disagree with US policy?

Feel the same as what?
    Arab muslims wanting to be more secular and western nations to stop grabbing their oil.

Arab muslims wanting to be more secular and western nations to stop grabbing their oil.

That’s all fine but regardless of this Arab Muslims are mostly from non-secular countries and a large amount are a product of their environment.

Until these countries remain like this I think you’re going to have problems.

You can’t compare Christians to Muslims. You could hundreds of years ago when beheadings and believing the word was flat was common place but Western society has moved on.

The whole Muslim world needs a figure like Mustafa Kemal to emerge and bring it out of the dark ages.

Pandering to religion of any sort in this day and age is ridiculous but for the most part passive Buddhists and Hindus are not really an issue.
    Even crazy Christians aren’t likely to kill you if you don’t follow the Bible.

I just don’t see why we need to tippy toe around such unfounded beliefs because the people that believe them will sometimes take offense and protest or worse.

Regarding the oil, hopefully when it runs out, the Arab Muslim world will be left alone and it can continue with its inventions, scientific discoveries and artistic progress.

You can’t compare Christians to Muslims. You could hundreds of years ago when beheadings and believing the word was flat was common place but Western society has moved on.
    Two Muslim women have been left shaken after they were verbally attacked about their religion while driving through Newcastle.

A 26-year-old woman was driving with her mother in the front passenger seat when they stopped in traffic on Smith Street about 7:00pm (AEST) on Monday.

A 27-year-old man approached them on foot and started abusing and threatening them, police said.

"He's made derogatory statements about their religion," Chief Inspector Dean Olsen said.

"He struck the side view mirror and then continued with a verbal tirade."

The women drove off but pulled over a short distance away to fix the car's mirror.

The man followed them and continued the abuse.

"It was at this time that several members of the public got involved and tried to stop this man doing what he's doing," Chief Inspector Olsen said.

"He's turned on them and made a few threats and assaulted at least one of those people."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-07/muslim-women-verbally-attacked-while-driving-in-nsw/5794522

Thankfully there were people to help but it could have been worse otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Mr. Behm warned that Mr. Abbott should not expect to emulate Margaret Thatcher, the former British prime minister, whom Mr. Abbott has said he greatly admires. When he completed a triathlon in 14 hours in 2010, Mr. Abbott drew a favorable comparison between himself as the “Iron Man” and Mrs. Thatcher, who was known as the Iron Lady.

“The prime minister thinks he’s Margaret Thatcher, and that he can win the next election,” Mr. Behm said, “not by invading the Falklands but by dropping bombs on Iraq

To be honest, that bit is pathetic journalism. People who complete a Triathlon of that nature (3.9 KM swim, 180 KM bike ride, 42.2 KM run) are iron men by definition because that is what the fecking race is called!! I train with a group that specializes in triathlons and when one does their maidin Iron-man they thus congratulated on being an Iron man (or woman)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon

This weak the Iron man World Championships are held in Kona, Hawaii. I guess its a love affair with Maggie that they named it after her...
    There is also an Ironman Series that has races all over the world including Australia and Ireland
    New York used to be a paper of reputation but its as bad the red tops on occasion now.

Tis a mighty canyon size leap from sectarian abuse to genocide :rolleyes:

I mean, sectarian abuse come on, can you do better than that, that's about as common in Ireland as it is in Australia, from burning a Mosque in Brisbane to burning a Protestant Church in Donegal.

Tis a mighty canyon size leap from sectarian abuse to genocide :rolleyes:

I mean, sectarian abuse come on, can you do better than that, that's about as common in Ireland as it is in Australia, from burning a Mosque in Brisbane to burning a Protestant Church in Donegal.
    Would the attack have happened if she wasn't muslim?

Does it give a lead up to events?

Is there independent witnesses made statements about the lead up t events?

Why if they were in such "fear" did they pull up a short distance away?

a lot of holes in the story without even prodding it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Would it have happened if she wasn't wearing some sort of head-gear ?
    (As in being completely indistinguishable from anyone else)

I'm not defending this nut-job by the way, he deserves some time for this carry on.

All I'm pointing out is that Burqas and similar head/face obscuring clothing is both discriminatory against women (Men don't have to wear it) and makes a clear visual distinction of religious belief (Again, totally unnecessary behavior in modern Western society). I'm not apportioning blame to muslims that make a choice to wear it, just pointing out the fact that wearing one exposes people to nut-jobs like old made in Newcastle.

I think this is way OT though.

TA is a goose. If Kev and Julia weren't up to their eyeballs in backroom promises to the unions and selling off state assets Abbot never would have had a hope.

Would it have happened if she wasn't wearing some sort of head-gear ?
    (As in being completely indistinguishable from anyone else)

I'm not defending this nut-job by the way, he deserves some time for this carry on.

All I'm pointing out is that Burqas and similar head/face obscuring clothing is both discriminatory against women (Men don't have to wear it) and makes a clear visual distinction of religious belief (Again, totally unnecessary behavior in modern Western society). I'm not apportioning blame to muslims that make a choice to wear it, just pointing out the fact that wearing one exposes people to nut-jobs like old made in Newcastle.

I think this is way OT though.

TA is a goose. If Kev and Julia weren't up to their eyeballs in backroom promises to the unions and selling off state assets Abbot never would have had a hope.
    There wasn't a burka mentioned in the report.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-07/muslim-women-verbally-attacked-while-driving-in-nsw/5794522

Precisely, there were other random passer by's on hand to help out these Muslim women from a racist gob****e. I think it proves that mainstream Australian society is not overtly racist than what you would like to think or portray in these posts.

You fall into the same liberal guilt trap as many others, that because there are racists out there it means that we cannot as a society condemn or take action against extremists or call out grotesques ideologies for what they are. Instead constant red hearing are introduced into the conversation. Like what has the Aboriginal community have to do with Islamic extremism?

The same red hearing is always introduced in the UK when liberals like yourself post up mutterings about the EDL or the BNP. These latter organisations are pseudo fascist and jingoistic organisations who enjoy no mainstream support whatsoever. Islam in contrast runs over 50 countries on this planet and violates human rights that we in the West take for granted.

You have posted a number of posts on this thread condemning the Abbott government of scaremongering, yet you offer very little if any condemnation to people getting their heads hacked off purely for propaganda purposes.

To me that is confronting, the double speak of the left who hide behind their political correctness and use this sensitive and hugely complex issue to score points against a politician or a country who they don't agree with. Its shameless stuff tbh. You will fit right at home with the RBB crowd back in Ireland.

Does it give a lead up to events?

Is there independent witnesses made statements about the lead up t events?

Why if they were in such "fear" did they pull up a short distance away?

a lot of holes in the story without even prodding it...
    You should contact Police Inspector Olsen and tell about the holes in the accounts from the victims and especially the witnesses that he praised.

There wasn't a burka mentioned in the report.

How could the imbecile identify their Religion?
    After all they even claimed he made ""derogatory statements about their religion"

We all know by the recent genocide of Catholics and along with a myriad of other Religions that there is indeed more than one religion in the Middle East.

You should contact Police Inspector Olsen and tell about the holes in the accounts from the victims and especially the witnesses that he praised.

Or maybe the Journalist in question, if something is not reported how are we to know?

You seem to seek out these poorly reported stories from around the World, must be a long search to find one to suit your agenda hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Aaaaanyway.

Back on Topic.

Would anyone prefer Inda in red speedos to Tony in his ?

Its a good think there are very few people with actual integrity in politics, otherwise the rest of them would look really bad.

Or maybe the Journalist in question, if something is not reported how are we to know?

You seem to seek out these poorly reported stories from around the World, must be a long search to find one to suit your agenda hey.
    If you don't believe it then ring up the Newcastle police and ask if the incident happened as reported.

There are traditional head coverings other than the Burka.

If you don't believe it then ring up the Newcastle police and ask if the incident happened as reported.

There are traditional head coverings other than the Burka.

Why would I phone up? It's just another pointless link from you... :rolleyes:

Besides your the one trying to push your usual "all Australians are racist" line again, must be hard staying in a country you obviously hate, I mean you have stated before your only here for the money, must be hard putting a price tag on your morals and ethics, from afar it's pretty humorous to he honest.

jank wrote: »
    Precisely, there were other random passer by's on hand to help out these Muslim women from a racist gob****e. I think it proves that mainstream Australian society is not overtly racist than what you would like to think or portray in these posts.

You fall into the same liberal guilt trap as many others, that because there are racists out there it means that we cannot as a society condemn or take action against extremists or call out grotesques ideologies for what they are. Instead constant red hearing are introduced into the conversation. Like what has the Aboriginal community have to do with Islamic extremism?

The same red hearing is always introduced in the UK when liberals like yourself post up mutterings about the EDL or the BNP. These latter organisations are pseudo fascist and jingoistic organisations who enjoy no mainstream support whatsoever. Islam in contrast runs over 50 countries on this planet and violates human rights that we in the West take for granted.

You have posted a number of posts on this thread condemning the Abbott government of scaremongering, yet you offer very little if any condemnation to people getting their heads hacked off purely for propaganda purposes.

To me that is confronting, the double speak of the left who hide behind their political correctness and use this sensitive and hugely complex issue to score points against a politician or a country who they don't agree with. Its shameless stuff tbh. You will fit right at home with the RBB crowd back in Ireland.

A lot of points well made, will be ignored though as they are a wee bit too confronting and any long term poster here knows the truth anyway.

Why would I phone up? It's just another pointless link from you... :rolleyes.
    The means to clarify the report are within your means unless you don't trust the police.

• Advertisement

The means to clarify the report are within your means unless you don't trust the police.

What part of you do it don't you understand???
    Besides as stated before it's the reporting of the story where the questions lay, the Police would have issued a statement and the Journalist went with it from there.

I've said before your links are poorly reported rubbish that you scour the internet for to suit your "all Australians are racist" agenda, must be a long search to find such poor reporting all the time...

I see you have skimmed over Janks post, how unusual is it for you to ignore questions, I had to answer my own earlier on because you couldn't, are you going to try to answer that post?

Advertisement