Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Tiernan: To Tell You The Truth

Options
  • 29-09-2014 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if there's another thread for this... But I've just seen it for the first time... Jaysus it's shocking bad... How did he ever think it was possible to improvise a whole comedy show...

Every second word is a curse, there are no laughs, and the show seems like the sort of breakdown you have in front of your therapist..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I don't know what to make of it at all - but it's not comfortable viewing, certainly.

To be fair I've not been glued to the TV for all of it, so maybe I've missed some obvious point. But the clip in Germany - ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Cosmo2013

Its embarrassing.... dying on his feet, every show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Anyone watching this on Rte1 He's touring Europe doing stand up comedy. His jokes aren't great if any at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm a big Tommy Tiernan fan but this is really awful :(

He's obviously back drinking heavily. He's not with it at all. Why doesn't he rehearse something.. don't get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I think the lady worried he was having a break-down might have hit the nail on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Just turned it off , over to damo and Ivor !!

Went to see tommy about 3 years ago he was shocking bad , I know the man has problems but why continue if it makes him so unhappy , the cursing is beyond a joke , time to hang up the boots I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

It must have been really embarrassing for him. It's been a long time since I've heard any good material from him. It's like he's televising a mid-life crisis. He comes across as depressed and very pretentious off-stage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It was so bad. I kinda assumed that that's why it was compelling to some people. To watch him kinda having a break down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Cosmo2013 wrote: »
    He's obviously back drinking heavily. He's not with it at all. Why doesn't he rehearse something.. don't get it

Is that not the point of it all? To see if the concept can carry across the continent

Tiernan has a real insecurity when it comes to the UK market, he's like the kid who was never invited to the party and has moulded himself into someone who thinks he's all the cooler for it, but would secretly love to be embraced and invited.

He's like the U2 of comedy in Ireland, it's comedy for people who don't really like comedy.

• Advertisement

He's had no good material for about 10 years. Always thought he was much more interesting andfunny in interview on radio the times I heard him.

It must have been really embarrassing for him. It's been a long time since I've heard any good material from him. It's like he's televising a mid-life crisis. He comes across as depressed and very pretentious off-stage.
    I've met Tommy a few times and yes he suffers from depression, that is on the record. I don't think he is in anyway pretentious, he is very down to earth in fact.

Is that not the point of it all? To see if the concept can carry across the continent

Yeah, that is the point but he's dying so badly that you'd think he 'pretend'. Like this is appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I hope it picks up. Not for my entertainment but just so I can see him happier.

Sneaking suspicion that it has been edited in such a way to get the low points out of the way first and it'll pick up at the end. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Tommy has lost his mojo a few years ago, clearly still searching for it. Its possible he passed it on to one of his many children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I've met Tommy a few times and yes he suffers from depression, that is on the record. I don't think he is in anyway pretentious, he is very down to earth in fact.

I second this. Lovely man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I was only just getting over Twink. This is a bit unsettling

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

His chat with Gay Byrne on 'The Meaning of Life' was possibly my favourite episode of that series. I didn't think I'd be keen on him at all - but he was a revelation. I wonder is comedy a bit too trivial for him, now? I mean, does he sort of despise himself for 'just' being a stand-up comic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

In all fairness his new stuff is much better than a few years ago.

This show was a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭castor 1

It's fascinating viewing.
    I don't think he would get away with it if he wasn't as well known.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

If he wants to keep with the Dylan analogy, I havent seen a Bob Dylan gig where he didnt bother with his catalog of songs and just made up new songs as he went along...

It's just not possible to do what he's trying to do...

Besides, people Have paid to listen to it. He's taking money Off people, for what like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

To have this shown before his tour of Ireland is bad timing for him ,

his earlier stuff was fantastic though have to give him that got me through many a bad hangover day in Sydney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I like it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Very awkward viewing. Had to turn it off. Felt very sad for him as it looks like he's going through a breakdown or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Never found him funny. All he does is shout & roar. Using bad language to get a laugh.

He's awful.

I remember meeting Tommy when I was having a very bad day (my newborn baby was in the special care baby unit of Galway University Hospital) and he was visiting someone in the hospital. I'll never forget his kind words, he really gave me a great lift :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Tilikum wrote: »
    Never found him funny. All he does is shout & roar. Using bad language to get a laugh.

He's awful.

Not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Well I wouldn't go that far. But think he's just putting in those shows for the Money.
    Stand up comedy doesn't get easier as your at it a few years. Especially if you can't come up with new material

• Advertisement

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Not true.

Kind of of is true though. What's with all this shouting?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement