Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling shoes and cleat pedals

Options
  • 23-09-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I bought a road bike a few months back. Got some good advice here. With the good weather we have been having I have got out quite a bit and really enjoyed the cycling. I normally just wear an old pair of trainers. The pedals have a toe clip to stop your foot falling off. This is ideal as I can walk around whenever I get off the bike. However at traffic lights and junctions I have to take my foot out and the pedal rolls around and thus I have to get toe back in again which is slow and bit awkward.
    What would it cost to get shoes and cleat pedals?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Hey all

I bought a road bike a few months back. Got some good advice here. With the good weather we have been having I have got out quite a bit and really enjoyed the cycling. I normally just wear an old pair of trainers. The pedals have a toe clip to stop your foot falling off. This is ideal as I can walk around whenever I get off the bike. However at traffic lights and junctions I have to take my foot out and the pedal rolls around and thus I have to get toe back in again which is slow and bit awkward.
    What would it cost to get shoes and cleat pedals?

Thanks

costs:

Aldi are selling some SPD shoes cheap on Thursday - about €20 https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-25-september/products-detail-page/ps/p/cycling-shoes-1/

Pedals will cost you about €25: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m530-mtb-spd-trail-pedals/
    Inevitable additional costs: at least one slow motion fall at traffic lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got these shoes and these pedals from Wiggle last year and they're still going strong. I'd a limited budget at the time so I needed something half decent but inexpensive. I've no reason to change or upgrade them at the moment as they suit my needs perfectly for now.

The pedals are good value at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Thanks for feedback. Are these pedals still usable with ordinary trainers if you just wanted to wheel down the road?
    Am I right in thinking just two parts are needed - the pedals and shoes with cleats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for feedback. Are these pedals still usable with ordinary trainers if you just wanted to wheel down the road?
    Am I right in thinking just two parts are needed - the pedals and shoes with cleats?

The shoes with cleats are actually two parts, the cleats wear out and have to be replaced.

You won't regret (well after you've stopped falling over like all newbies to cleats do) the change over, but it will take time ~ and you will take a few little tumbles before learning to clip-out on time, happened to the best of us :o

The shoes with cleats are actually two parts, the cleats wear out and have to be replaced.

You won't regret (well after you've stopped falling over like all newbies to cleats do) the change over, but it will take time ~ and you will take a few little tumbles before learning to clip-out on time, happened to the best of us :o

Happened to me for teh first time yesterday - well first time to actually fall over not the first time i forgot to unclip adn had a moment of panic, but previously always managed to get my foot down. I brought my road bike into work instead of hybrid, coming up along canals and slowed to let a jogger pass, she also slowed to let me pass, queue slow motion topple to the left. ah well.

As for whether you can use them in ttrainers try a set of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/

Bear in mind teh "platform" side gets slippy when wet, but you can use them with sneakers or even just flip them and use platform side with cycling shoes, if you know you will be stop/starting in traffic alot.

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    Happened to me for teh first time yesterday - well first time to actually fall over not the first time i forgot to unclip adn had a moment of panic, but previously always managed to get my foot down. I brought my road bike into work instead of hybrid, coming up along canals and slowed to let a jogger pass, she also slowed to let me pass, queue slow motion topple to the left. ah well.

Happened to me on the way up Sally gap. Came to a halt, unclipped one side fell to the other, landed in a comfy fern bush :o

If thats the only time it happens I'll be happy it happened like it did.

You could just wheel down the road with trainers on but you'd want to be careful not to stand up in case your foot slips from the pedal as you won't have the support of toe clips but if you want to use the bike to just nip up to the shops then you'll be fine. The biggest worry is your jeans/trousers getting ripped by the chain set!!
    As Ronnie Wonderful Nation says - they are in two parts. The cleats bolt onto the shoe - they are not part of the shoe so can be replaced as they wear. Shimano SPD- SL cleats cost around €20 - €25 depending on where you buy them (maybe even less). The pedals I linked to above are €25 with cleats so that'll give you a good appreciation of the value of the pedals at €25 including cleats!

Has anyone used the Look Keo and the SPD style cleats?

How do they compare clipping in and out?

I went for the SPD style and I'm wondering how they compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

ronoc wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Look Keo and the SPD style cleats?

How do they compare clipping in and out?

I went for the SPD style and I'm wondering how they compare?

I've gone from spd sl to keo(use both just depends on the bike) and think I like the Shimano sl set up better but that could be down to the shoes I use keo with are much stiffer

stecleary wrote: »
    I think you mean spd sl? If so the Shimano cleat doesn't work with look keo. A slightly different shape and size. If you mean spd then still won't work as the cleat is even smaller again and uses two bolts like the shoes above from aldi where as sl\keo use a 3 bolt cleat

Yeah those ones, they look quite similar. Is there much difference getting in and out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭fiacha

I've had Shimano M424 SPD pedals on my singlespeed for years. Clips on both sides so easy to get into and a cage around the outside so you can use regular shoes for running around. They may be a bit heavy and ugly for a roadbike, but there are probably newer versions out there.

My one and only fall was spectacular. I'd messed around with the clip tension and took off for a spin. To tight to unclip easily and panic set in. I attempted to yank my foot out and ended up doing some kind of weird sideways bunny - hop and landed shoulder first on the road...bike still firmly attached :D. All at low speed on a closed road with no witnesses..so it could have been worse.

You'll get used to the clips very quickly OP, the action soon becomes automatic and you'll catch yourself trying to unclip when using flat pedals :)

Thanks for replies.
    The Aldi shoes don't look great. White would get chain grease on it and cracks would show up brown lines with dirt getting in and the brown ones are just not pretty.
    Will the pedals stay in a flat position when you clip out so it is easy to get your foot back? Also is there reflectors on most pedals?
    So spd pedals and spd shoes is what I should probably get. Is there weight issues with any of these?

Can I ask what do tri-athletes use? Same shoe for cycling and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Almost none of the clipless pedals have reflectors. The cycling shoes you use with them would typically have reflective bits.

I have http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-xt-spd-trekking-t780-mtb-pedals/rp-prod67250 on my hybrid because I wanted reflectors and single sided SPD. So I can use them with or without cycling shoes.

They work good but at 59e they're dearer than the alternatives above.

Also, if buying over the net, are shoe sizes the same as a normal trainer? Do you have to go extra small/large etc.? Wide feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Also, if buying over the net, are shoe sizes the same as a normal trainer? Do you have to go extra small/large etc.? Wide feet?

I have two different size shoe. North wave I went for a 41 and dmt I went for a 42. I wouldn't be buying shoes on line because I have mad feet that are flat and wide shoe trying onot shoes runners cycling shoes is a must for me or its a world of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Asking the wrong question here :)

Shoes clipped into the pedals are left there when you dismount coming into T2, run barefoot to the rack and slip on your race runners with elastic laces, away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

crosstownk wrote: »
    I got these shoes and these pedals from Wiggle last year and they're still going strong. I'd a limited budget at the time so I needed something half decent but inexpensive. I've no reason to change or upgrade them at the moment as they suit my needs perfectly for now.

The pedals are good value at the moment.

I got the same shoes as you and I find them really comfortable (well as much as cycling shoes can be - it's all about good socks :cool: ) The velcro on them as quite strong. I got a size 43, i'm usually a 42 in most shoes. I was reading about their fit online and most things said go a european size up if possible. I probably should have just gotten the 42, but the 43 is fine. A little bit more toe room, but no issues during use.

I got similar pedals (Shimano 105 PD-5700 SPD SL Road Pedals) and I find them to be pretty good. I still have issues sometimes clipping in (still getting used to them to be honest), but they are easy enough to clip out coming to a stop. I haven't had an incident with them yet :)

Got both for decent prices on wiggle....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/s?q=shimano+pd-t400+clickr+pedals

Got these very recently, as my first clipless pedals. They're supposedly easier to get out of than regular SPD. I use mine for commuting and I'm loving them so far. No issues at all. And not once have I fallen over at a set of lights! I think I have about 300km up on them at this stage, so haven't had them long.

I got the same shoes as you and I find them really comfortable (well as much as cycling shoes can be - it's all about good socks :cool: ) The velcro on them as quite strong. I got a size 43, i'm usually a 42 in most shoes. I was reading about their fit online and most things said go a european size up if possible. I probably should have just gotten the 42, but the 43 is fine. A little bit more toe room, but no issues during use.

I'm a 44 but I had the luxury of trying on a few Shimano shoes in my LBS. We have an agreement that if they can they'll match the Wiggle price but if they can't , they'll give me their blessing to purchase with Wiggle. If it's close I'll go with the LBS.

The 44 felt somewhat tight so I ordered a 45 from Wiggle. In general they fit well but if I pull the velcro straps tight with my toasty winter socks on, it can be a bit tight and lead to numbness - especially in my slightly larger left foot. All I need to do is loosen them a wee bit and all is grand again. I'd say the 46 would have been far too big in summer socks.

I'll continue to use these shoes until they start to disintegrate as I find them quite comfortable. I've a spare set of cleats in the shed for when the time comes.......

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm a 44 but I had the luxury of trying on a few Shimano shoes in my LBS. We have an agreement that if they can they'll match the Wiggle price but if they can't , they'll give me their blessing to purchase with Wiggle. If it's close I'll go with the LBS.

The 44 felt somewhat tight so I ordered a 45 from Wiggle. In general they fit well but if I pull the velcro straps tight with my toasty winter socks on, it can be a bit tight and lead to numbness - especially in my slightly larger left foot. All I need to do is loosen them a wee bit and all is grand again. I'd say the 46 would have been far too big in summer socks.

I'll continue to use these shoes until they start to disintegrate as I find them quite comfortable. I've a spare set of cleats in the shed for when the time comes.......

Yeah, my feet are wide, something like a UK size 8 in width and closer to a 7 in length (in some brands). Some brands I just can't wear as they are so long in an 8. Narrow European makes like Hummel and some Puma for example. Adidas 8 are always perfect on me for some reason. I really have to try shoes on in store and I'm usually reluctant to buy shoes online, but I went with Wiggle for the cycling shoes and took a punt on the 43 Shimano size.

The 43 in the Shimano was probably better in the long run, as you mention the winter socks being thicker. I haven't been out in them in the winter yet, but I'm looking to do some winter cycling this year to keep the fitness levels decent enough before Spring comes back...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Normal or tri-specific cycling shoes then switch to running shoes in T2.

Thanks again for replies.
    I think I will give a look in a few shops to try on shoes etc and if they are fairly close in value I will go with them.
    I must also look into lights.
    What is on the bike will be nearly be bloody dearer than the bike itself!

Thanks again for replies.
    I think I will give a look in a few shops to try on shoes etc and if they are fairly close in value I will go with them.
    I must also look into lights.
    What is on the bike will be nearly be bloody dearer than the bike itself!

Aldi are doing "bikemate" lights today for €7. They are great lights, I use them.

Re getting shoes online. If they don't fit can you return them for a different size?

I gave a look on Wiggle for the R064 road shoes. They look well but they don't have my 46 size. CRC do have them though.
    Can someone explain what is the advantage of SPD shoes over SPD SL? I believe the latter is a 3 bolt cleat system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

SPD shoes have the cleat (almost always) reccessed into the sole of the shoe. So that you can walk in them normally. Handy for commuting, touring, coffee stops, mountain biking, cyclo-cross.

The 3 bolt cleats are not reccessed which means that walking in them is awkward and can be treacherous. However they will have a larger contact area between cleat, shoe and pedal and are claimed to be more efficient for this reason.

I'm sure they are but I doubt it's by enough that I'd care for my cycling usage. I like the convenience of being able to walk easily.

Re getting shoes online. If they don't fit can you return them for a different size?

Yeah, all good online retailers will offer this service, but as you might imagine, it's a bit of a pain. You'll probably have to pay for postage for sending them back...

quozl wrote: »
    SPD shoes have the cleat (almost always) reccessed into the sole of the shoe. So that you can walk in them normally. Handy for commuting, touring, coffee stops, mountain biking, cyclo-cross.

The 3 bolt cleats are not reccessed which means that walking in them is awkward and can be treacherous. However they will have a larger contact area between cleat, shoe and pedal and are claimed to be more efficient for this reason.

I'm sure they are but I doubt it's by enough that I'd care for my cycling usage. I like the convenience of being able to walk easily.

Ya the more I research shoes it is getting harder to decide. There seems to be many things to consider. However, I'm not going to be racing as such, more cycling spins and perhaps a sportive or triathlon at some stage in the future.
    I'm thinking of these at the moment.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rt32-spd-touring-shoes/
    They are a bit more expensive.
    I looked at the ones in Aldi and they were really heavy.
    Are shoes in general heavier than trainers?
    I have been using trainers with toe clip so far and haven't had any issues plus easy to put the foot down. They don't look great though. So I wouldn't mind trying out the cleat option. Probably easier on the knees after an hour or so on the bike.

• Advertisement

I have been using trainers with toe clip so far and haven't had any issues plus easy to put the foot down. They don't look great though. So I wouldn't mind trying out the cleat option. Probably easier on the knees after an hour or so on the bike.

biggest advantages of cleats are:

No squeezing of toes from strap during prolonged use

Easier to disengage from if you need to put your foot down

& you don't have to think about keeping your foot on the pedals it just stays there.

If you are finding it easy to put your foot down with your toe clips I presume you are not tightening the strap over your feet to lock them into the pedals. In that case you are not really "locked in" to the pedals as you will be when using cleats so you can't pull up on the pedals or pedal the whole way around. If you used them strapped in you need to lean down with your hand and loosen the strap before you can remove your foot.

Advertisement