Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Akrasia wrote: »
    Any new laptop on windows 8 is going to be mind numbingly slow for the first day or two while it downloads, configures and installs all the necessary updates.

It's a pain in the hole, but can't be avoided really.

The problem here is the updates are not successful, then reverting takes forever, or goes on an endless loop.

Capture_thumb%25255B4%25255D.png?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

The problem here is the updates are not successful, then reverting takes forever, or goes on an endless loop.

I read online that one lad's laptop was reverting for over 12 hours, so I decided to refresh mine. It took 20 minutes or so and just meant I had to reinstall a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Capture_thumb%25255B4%25255D.png?imgmax=800

That happened to me before. You can either wait for ages and hope for the best, or try and restart the install again. It can be a pain but if you try holding f12 when the computer is restarting, that usually brings you into a recovery mode where you can re-install windows from the recovery partition and try the updating process again. (if F12 doesn't work, try f8, f9.. etc
    or sometimes even ctrl alt and delete)

branners69 wrote: »
    I read online that one lad's laptop was reverting for over 12 hours, so I decided to refresh mine. It took 20 minutes or so and just meant I had to reinstall a few things.

Mind if I ask how do you reinstall things? Mine was a new Assus laptop that doesn't come with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are you doing this over WiFi or via Ethernet?

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Are you doing this over WiFi or via Ethernet?

Wifi.

Mind if I ask how do you reinstall things? Mine was a new Assus laptop that doesn't come with anything?

When you turn on the laptop hold in F9 (someone else has said F12) then you get the windows logo and eventually this screen loads.

I selected the middle option and refreshed it!

On my desk top the update failed, but it recovered quickly enough. But its hard wired to UPC so updates come down really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Rather than start a new thread does this seem a good deal? http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00K1VB368?cache=e93c7da40eba82eb9965a4640eb42a2c&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1411483882&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I know you can get the similar spec for less with lenovo but that spec with a full HD IPS display seems excellent value to me?! Slim and relatively light laptop too with good build quality

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

jive wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread does this seem a good deal? http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00K1VB368?cache=e93c7da40eba82eb9965a4640eb42a2c&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1411483882&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I know you can get the similar spec for less with lenovo but that spec with a full HD IPS display seems excellent value to me?! Slim and relatively light laptop too with good build quality

There's pretty good Dell on sale that they're discussing over at HUKD. It's on sale and with two seperate 10% off codes brings the cost down to around 730€.

Only issue is, the VIP codes don't seem to be working for Irish users.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 Haswell CPU
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB 5400rpm SATA Hybrid Drive (with 8gb cache)
    1080p Touch Display
    nVidia GeForce 750M 2GB DDR5 GPU

Link.

If anyone has a fix, I'd appreciate it, because I'm now looking into buying one of these for myself.

EDIT: Think I'll post this in another thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

This above is now happening on my laptop. Its the Asus F-series, brand new. I was just browsing earlier and then turned off my pc, when it was shutting down up popped a note saying "laptop configurating, do not turn off" but it was already turning off before the note popped up!

2 hours later I turned it back on, and its saying "failure configuring windows update, reverting changes, do not turn off". I didn't request a Windows 8.1 update! It's been on an hour now!! I also transferred loads of files over from my old laptop earlier which took ages, I hope I don't lose all them?!

The files are still on the old laptop yes?

Do ye have automatic updates turned on. I usually set it to don't download just prompt so I can pick and choose what and when to install.

Maybe the ms servers are slow at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

The files are still on the old laptop yes?

Do ye have automatic updates turned on. I usually set it to don't download just prompt so I can pick and choose what and when to install.

files on old laptop are now deleted!!! I'll go mental.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe the ms servers are slow at the moment

I've actually been having nightmares all day with Microsoft's download servers albeit for Office 2013 not updates so there may be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

For the reverting part, try doing it 16-18 updates at a time. Used to do the trick for me.
    Not sure why, could have been complete luck.

RossieMan wrote: »
    For the reverting part, try doing it 16-18 updates at a time. Used to do the trick for me.
    Not sure why, could have been complete luck.

How do you do this? Long time Mac user battling with this PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭droidman123

is this an asus problem or a Microsoft problem. what I mean is it just on asus laptops that cause the update problems?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Untick them all in Windows Update and just tick individual ones. Often the only way to get large volumes of updates on to 8 I've found. Which is why every machine in the entire company is now bought with 8 Pro and "downgraded" to 7 instantly.

Open My Computer (Win + E), select System Properties top middle of the screen (if you cant see System Properties make sure the Computer tab top left is selected.

In System Properties, click Windows Updates bottom left. Select the XX Important Updates are available. From here you can click the Name tick to unselect them all, then select the ones you want to install. I did 10 or so at a time or by group ie all .Net updates.

• Advertisement

is this an asus problem or a Microsoft problem. what I mean is it just on asus laptops that cause the update problems?

I think it isnt really anyones problem, these laptops were manufactured in February of this year. There is just a huge volume of updates which the laptop cant handle in one go!

I have read that other low end laptops have the same problem.

branners69 wrote: »
    I think it isnt really anyones problem, these laptops were manufactured in February of this year. There is just a huge volume of updates which the laptop cant handle in one go!

I have read that other low end laptops have the same problem.

Its Windows 8, not the spec of the laptop that's at issue. I've had a Core i7 desktop PC need a reinstall after failing to take the 80+ updates offered (and selected by default) in one go.

Its probably one update that broke something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pp=20&s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&q=TOSHIBA+LAPTOP&authToken=

What am I missing here- the first laptop (sorry ignore the HDDs) is "more powerful" than the 2nd one and is cheaper- and cheaper than the 3rd one down which is the same capacity 4gb and 500gb

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

Asus make great laptops

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pp=20&s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&q=TOSHIBA+LAPTOP&authToken=

What am I missing here- the first laptop (sorry ignore the HDDs) is "more powerful" than the 2nd one and is cheaper- and cheaper than the 3rd one down which is the same capacity 4gb and 500gb

Research the CPU's there may be a difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,973 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

damn pity that Asus F551CA is 500 euro now :(

Is it worth that price even?

Headshot wrote: »

Keep an eye on Argos, it went up and down a couple of times over a few days. No way would I pay that price when €300 is possible.

Headshot wrote: »

No, definitely not worth €500! Keep an eye out if it drops down again. Or else someone posted a link recently to a Lenovo for €350.

• Advertisement

As suggested compare the CPUs - http://cpuboss.com/compare-cpus

Advertisement