Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worlds U23 TT 22/9/14 - no Spoiler tags required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Half a second !!! 43.50.42 to 43.49.94

**** **** **** !!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

feel sorry for him. You could see how much it meant to him (compared to other s)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys - let's not be too negative- this was an absolutely fantastic performance and he seems to have silver nailed

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Oh well...

We'll have good times with Ryan yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Comfirmed 2nd

Kueng in 3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What age is the Aussie?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What age is the Aussie?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Gutting............Well done Ryan...superb performance.Silver confirmed..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

blobbie wrote: »

Ok cool, Ryan has another couple of shots at the u23 one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »
    Guys - let's not be too negative- this was an absolutely fantastic performance and he seems to have silver nailed

Dont confuse negativity with disappointment

• Advertisement

22, two years older than Mullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Everyone is finished.

Chapeau Ryan Mullen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

where is Ryan next year? An Post again or is there interest from World Tour teams?

fantastic performance, gutted for him but delighted for him at the same time.

where is Ryan next year? An Post again or is there interest from World Tour teams?

An Post probably. Look up the interview with him on Stickybottle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Disappointing for Mullen on not getting gold but still silver's no joke either.

Phil Liggett could make a fortune on this form doing cd's for helping send people to sleep.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pelevin wrote: »
    Phil Liggett could make a fortune on this form doing cd's for helping send people to sleep.
    Au contraire, Rodders, au contraire - that kept me awake all afternoon ....

Au contraire, Rodders, au contraire - that kept me awake all afternoon ....

I did admittedly have to miss the most exciting section of the coverage after Mullen had finished but yday & today from what I've seen he's been pretty soporific.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

That made my day, maybe even my week.

Looks like the events are live on ucichannel on youtube.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

fantastic performance, gutted for him but delighted for him at the same time.

He has a contract with An Post for next year and as far as I know he's happy to stay there, the danger is that if he signs Pro Tour he won't get to ride the U23 Worlds next year, so if he thinks he's got a crack at it again he may just stay with An Post.

Junior wrote: »
    He has a contract with An Post for next year and as far as I know he's happy to stay there, the danger is that if he signs Pro Tour he won't get to ride the U23 Worlds next year, so if he thinks he's got a crack at it again he may just stay with An Post.

It looks like if in good shape, with Kueng & Flakemore not around next year, he'd be very likely to win the TT next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭wav1

A wonderful,wonderful performance and even though he went so close he'd have taken that this morning.He might be afraid to go for it next yr with all them young whippersnappers of our own we have going up to U23 level,LOL
    Anyway with an engine like his he has a very bright future.What a yr for him
    World U23 TT Silver Medal
    Nat U23 TT Gold
    Nat R/R Elite Gold
    Nat U23 R/R Gold
    World Elite pursuit 4th [first attempt]
    Rookie of the year

I agree - at his age and with his talent he needs to stick within the Irish coaching system in my view. In a pro team he could just be flogged for results. Give it another year or two, as the guy has the capability of making it at the highest level either on the road or the track (which may ultimately be the best place for him to make a big splash on the World stage - plenty of others have done that then progressed to very high levels on the road a little later in their careers)

I've just updated the wikipedia page for the under 23 TT. Australia have some record in this event - eight medals since 2009! Half of them gold. They must have a fantastic coaching system. And rather surprisingly, the UK have never won anything...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Road_World_Championships_–_Men%27s_under-23_time_trial#Medal_winners

Subpopulus wrote: »
    And rather surprisingly, the UK have never won anything...
    I'm not surprised at all. Team GB's priority is medalling at the Olympics. They train a lot of their young cyclists on the track where there are more medal opportunities. Once they have achieved their track success they may be unleashed onto the road, but by then they are typically over 23 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

I agree - at his age and with his talent he needs to stick within the Irish coaching system in my view. In a pro team he could just be flogged for results. Give it another year or two, as the guy has the capability of making it at the highest level either on the road or the track (which may ultimately be the best place for him to make a big splash on the World stage - plenty of others have done that then progressed to very high levels on the road a little later in their careers)

He's only just turned 20 since August, so there's no hurry in rushing into the Pro Ranks, he can always sign a letter of intent during the season next year etc I think An Post have done a very very good job of managing Irish Talent over the last few years along with how CI have done 12 months won't ruin his prospects. Sam Bennett walked away from an FDJ contract and look at him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dan Martin @DanMartin86
    Gutted for @ryanmullen9 To lose the rainbows by 0.5secs is tough but no regrets. Lookng forward 2 joining up with @IreCyclingFed #greatstart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

fair play to the irish times - big picture of mullen on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

lennymc wrote: »

+1 great to see Irish Times recognising his success, great advertising for the dreaded Specialized aswell - the paper is usually rugby/golf biased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

lennymc wrote: »

Had newstalk on last night and not a mention of him in the news round up on Off The Ball. Bad form from a sports show

Advertisement