Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair now charge you again after you paid for your flight ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So now it's basically a case of if you want to sit together on your flight you'll have to pay extra for the priviledge.Ryanairs latest scam.:rolleyes:

Are you transporting a dangerous prisoner and need to be beside him at all times? :rolleyes:

Its a couple of hours, I'm sure you will survive a few hours not sitting beside your mate/parents/honey bunny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ryanair actually tried to make it legal to sell 'standing' tickets for their flights.

No they didn't. O'Leary suggested it as a publicity stunt.

The Daily Mail ran with it.

The gullable fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

To be fair to the OP, the website is very deliberately set up in such a way as to confuse a lot of people into believing the cheapest option is to buy a €5 seat (or at least it was about 6 months ago which was last time I checked in for a Ryanair flight).

Most website employ UX teams to make their websites more user friendly, intuitive etc. Ryanair employ them to ensure that cheap options are obscured and difficult to find, another example is the option for "no travel insurance" hidden among the "countries" list. Also sometimes they change it to "travel insurance not required" meaning you always need to search for it ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Haven't flown Ryanair for a while but Aer Lingus try and do the same thing but you just go for random seat as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

You do have to purchase a seat if you want to be able to print out your return boarding cards, if away for more than 7 days. Which is a lot of people going on holidays who can't get to an internet cafe. It's a sneaky charge that they brought in while claiming to have made the booking process more transparent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

inocybe wrote: »
    You do have to purchase a seat if you want to be able to print out your return boarding cards, if away for more than 7 days. Which is a lot of people going on holidays who can't get to an internet cafe. It's a sneaky charge that they brought in while claiming to have made the booking process more transparent.

however did people manage for the 50 years that there was no self-printing boarding passes and you had to queue when you arrived at the airport to check-in and get allocated a seat. Now you can only do it up to seven days in advance! shocking altogether!! :cool:

anyway, with the ryanair app, I believe you don't need to print out anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The amount of whinging about Ryanair is dumbfounding.
    They have a 5e ticket to Malta but I'm going to complain that water is 2.50e.
    I couldn't give a **** if the seat cost me 5e if I saved a fortune byt choosing Ryanair, which is probably the only reason people choose that airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

mam dad and little brother all went so 15 euro i had to pay :mad: robbing bastards

and they plan 10 euro flights to the USA lol

Yeah €10 to the USA + €700 in added costs ...

Just go business class Lufthansa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

bear1 wrote: »
    The amount of whinging about Ryanair is dumbfounding.
    They have a 5e ticket to Malta but I'm going to complain that water is 2.50e.
    I couldn't give a **** if the seat cost me 5e if I saved a fortune byt choosing Ryanair, which is probably the only reason people choose that airline.

In fairness though, it's not cheaper when you add all the extras, and if it is it's usually in some ****hole airport 40 miles away and you spend the extra costs getting to the city and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

You can get a free randomly assigned seat but of course if youre travelling with someone this means you'll both be assigned a different seat and wont be sat together even if you booked the tickets together as i found out a couple of days ago.

So now it's basically a case of if you want to sit together on your flight you'll have to pay extra for the priviledge.Ryanairs latest scam.:rolleyes:

No you wont be separated, wife myself and 3 kids and we didn't pick a seat, what we ended up with is the unsold higher priced seats with priority boarding for two flights. Once you do the online check in you get allocated the seats automatically.
    I didnt check in till the last minute and got good seats up front. I wont be buying this anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

OP, if you stand on the street and open your wallet to passers-by, offering them the money within, do you consider that robbery too?

You have a choice on Ryanair, pay extra for seats you'd like or pay nothing extra and take what you're given.

Look on the bright side though, OP... Free gaff. When's the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

OP I salute you and people like you, I've no idea why people are giving out to you. Its thanks to people like you who are happy to pay for silly extras that ryanair can keep the prices down for the rest of us, Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

however did people manage for the 50 years that there was no self-printing boarding passes and you had to queue when you arrived at the airport to check-in and get allocated a seat. Now you can only do it up to seven days in advance! shocking altogether!! :cool:

anyway, with the ryanair app, I believe you don't need to print out anything

flew with them last week and the APP was shoddy at best, boarding pass just plain and simple... didn't work at all, so you had to have it printed out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

padser wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP, the website is very deliberately set up in such a way as to confuse a lot of people into believing the cheapest option is to buy a €5 seat (or at least it was about 6 months ago which was last time I checked in for a Ryanair flight).

And yet the rest of us seem to have not been confused by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

mam dad and little brother all went so 15 euro i had to pay :mad: robbing bastards

and they plan 10 euro flights to the USA lol

Is this true? 10 euro flights to the USA? Are they only planning it now? When is this starting? I need more information ASAP.

Does anyone know what this means if this piece of info is correct? 10 euro the USA, 65 dollars for a ticket to see Garth Brooks and 10 euro back again. Adding in the bus fare to and from the airport, I think I can manage on 150 euro to see Garth Brooks.

I love Ryanair if this is true, but not as much as Garth Brooks.

the_monkey wrote: »
    In fairness though, it's not cheaper when you add all the extras, and if it is it's usually in some ****hole airport 40 miles away and you spend the extra costs getting to the city and back.

True, it can sometimes be cheaper to go with the likes of Aer Lingus but at least in my experience it has very rarely been the case.
    There are also some airports which aren't very far from the city or that they fly to the main airport of the city (Dublin, Prague etc).
    I'm booking some flights for Xmas and it is working out 250e cheaper return with both adults than with AL.
    I think their website has really turned a corner from say 2/3 years ago where it took 1 week to book a flight after getting through all the garbage and then seeing your price has swelled up.
    At least now, the price you see is the basic price you can get. Up to you if want the extras which I never bother with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You can get a free randomly assigned seat but of course if youre travelling with someone this means you'll both be assigned a different seat and wont be sat together even if you booked the tickets together as i found out a couple of days ago.

Going to Dublin on Thursday, just checked in (4 of us) and got the A, B, C & D seat across the aisle

Explain that one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Is this true?
    Yes
    10 euro flights to the USA?
    Some flights yes
    Are they only planning it now?
    When is this starting?
    When ryanair buy aer lingus/ Get the routes and aircraft, at least 5-7 years.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yes

Some flights yes

Can't see that happening at all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Getting my hopes up for cheap USA flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Me either, but it would be the quickest and easiest way to get the transatlantic routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

my parents went of on a holiday to Spain today and the day before i did the online check in for them.

then I am asked to pick a seat 5 euro each ? or 10 euro for a bigger seat ?

:confused: how can you pay for a flight then weeks later goes to check in and get charged for seats

how do they get away with this ?

Lord above.....Get away with what exactly? You just couldn't read the website! Cry me a river!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mariosuarez

I am a massive Ryanair fan and hate people who give out about them as they offer great value but I understand the OP.

If your holiday is more than 7 days you cannot print out your boarding pass before you go which forces you to pay for a seat or check yourself online and print it out while abroad. Getting a computer and printer abroad can be difficult and older people who get their children to do it for them before they leave can't so it abroad.

I've booked flights for my uncles and aunts and they don't like paying the money to pick a seat but they have no intention of looking for an Internet cafe abroad as it's not worth the hassle so they end up paying it.

Another sneaky way of making money for Ryanair and fair play to them. They are a fantastic business and without them we'd be still flying Aer Lingus for €300 each way with free food and no extra charges as they would charge enough to begin with.

Aer Lingus' prices are decent now but that is that due to Ryanair competing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yes

Some flights yes

Not buying AL apparently according to an interview the other day.
    There's a four year waiting list for new aircraft it seems,dunno if it's four years for delivery or four years before they can start manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

my parents went of on a holiday to Spain today and the day before i did the online check in for them.

then I am asked to pick a seat 5 euro each ? or 10 euro for a bigger seat ?

:confused: how can you pay for a flight then weeks later goes to check in and get charged for seats

how do they get away with this ?

Original poster has a point.... depending on when you check-in you sometimes cannot avoid paying for a seat. For example if you want to check-in say two weeks before the flight, you HAVE TO pick an assigned seat (€5).. its only if you are checking in within two days of the flight you can actually allow them to give you a free random seat. It sounds like the poster checked in a day before so should have had the option of a free unassigned seat .. but who knows, Ryanair are very sneaky and as soon as joe-pleb has figured out their money-making tricks .. they change them.

Don't get me wrong Ryanair are a hell of a lot better than Aer Lingus and have allowed us in Ireland to access Europe for a fraction of what we would be paying, if they hadn't entered the market. Its just a shame that they sometimes stoop to trickery to get a few more spond-u-licks off the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

People tend to book seats together, so if you pick a random seat you're likely to get a window or an aisle seat. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I hate paying Ryanair for their gimmicks, so while on holidays recently I found an internet cafe not far from where I was staying, checked in online and printed the boarding passes for the two of us. Cost 60cent. Time out of holiday 5 minutes. Saving €9.40 from Ryanair!

I have since got the Ryanair App and will be using it from now on.

Finally a little tip for Boardsies, the later you leave the check in the better seats you get. A few people I know who have tried it, and it works. But I am talking about within 12 hours of the flight. Got row 2 and priority boarding going out the last time for free (normally €10).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

I book a lot of flights for my company. The majority are with Ryanair. In most cases we have two employees going at a time and I wo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

I book a lot of flights for my company. The majority are with Ryanair. In most cases we have two employees going at a time and I would say 99% of the time they are put together by the free allocation. I would imagine that they arrange it by each booking getting the next available seats. The more people who book their seats beforehand I am guessing would increase the chances of those getting free allocated seating being split up. Which is actually a clever move (in business terms by Ryanair) because the more people get split up, the more word will get around that you need to book seats to sit together. The vicious Ryanair cycle :)
    Regarding not being able to print off the boarding pass for the return leg as departure is beyond the 7 days, a lot of hotels will actually print the boarding pass for you FOC if you email it to them. So you or someone at home could check you in and save the boarding pass instead of printing it. It can then be emailed to the hotel. I would just email them first to make sure they would do this for you but I've never been refused this request.

Advertisement