Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemist only sells on prescription??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mountai wrote: »
    For those that are concerned ---- If I want to get a High , I"ll smoke some dope .!!! The whole point I"m trying to make is -- There is a list of controlled drugs that can only be sold on Prescription. These prescriptions make money for the Chemists , ergo , the more Drugs that are prescribed , the more money the Chemists make. Surely a Chemist cannot decide to place a drug into the "Controlled" category just on a whim???

It's like you're trying to not understand. They can insist that no one is allowed to buy aspirin without wearing a mop on their head if they like. They can insist you get a prescription for a blister pad if they want. It wouldn't be sensible but as a private retailer they can put any limitations on their service that they like within the scope of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@monkey8 Please refrain from making assumptions about the OP

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭RoboRat

3 solpadeine over 24 hours and you got a buzz? thats a tiny amount of codeine. an addict would be taking 20 times that amount.
    As somebody who has 2 direct members of my family who were hooked on that **** I can say wholeheartedly that you can easily get hooked and not need to take 20 times that amount.

Personally I was delighted when they put stricter regulations as I had been sending emails for about 5 years to highlight the dangers - its been extensively covered in the UK. I would love to see it prescription only as it is a very dangerous product when misused, and it is seriously misused in this country.
    These prescriptions make money for the Chemists , ergo , the more Drugs that are prescribed , the more money the Chemists make.
    Where are you getting this from? Retailers make money on bulk purchases and prescriptions are generally not bulk and also subject to the drugs payment scheme which actually results in less revenue for a pharmacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

monkey8 wrote: »
    If you read the op's previous posts you will see that he has a serious chip on his shoulder regarding pharmacists so he will use any opportunity to have a pop!

how he could try to accuse the pharmacist as being greedy in this situation is baffling but not out of character!

I had a read of the previous thread. someone to add to the ignore list i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Had the same thing happen to me when I requested phenergan (an antihistamine ) in the pharmacy. Despite the patient care leaflet saying it is over the counter the pharmacist told it was prescription only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I've a friend who's hooked on them. Very sad, she's only 28 and is properly blacklisted from our local chemists, they're onto her thankfully but she just goes elsewhere for them. We recently went to Liverpool for a weekend and she bought 4 boxes of 48 (all in different chemists) they don't actually have the same rule as we do over here so they just hand them out no questions asked.

Thing about them is, there are alternatives, you dont have to take them! I personally think everyone should stay away from them, can be so easy to get addicted and be unable to stop. I dont bother taking them for anything. I'll use whatever else is out there that's safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I fell down the stairs recently and I was given a prescription for Solpadeine that said "2 tabs, 3 times a day for two days" but also gave me 30 tablets for ongoing pain. My other half had to go to the pharmacy for me as I couldn't walk. The pharmacist/dispensing technician there quizzed my OH as to what happened to me before they would dispense the prescription, and even then she didn't want to give me the whole 30 because theoretically I only needed the 12 for two days. The pharmacist who had to approve the dispensing anyway saw it was for me and said "no problem" - they know me.

So I took the first two and within a half an hour I was high as a kite!!! It took at least 6 hours for this "high" to wear off and I only took one tablet every 8 hours after that. I was completely out of it, I didn't like it one bit (I think I'm safe enough on the addiction basis on that front :) ) Anyone saying that you need a lot more to get a "buzz" is probably talking from their own experience, which is fair enough, but from my experience, 2 tabs were enough to knock my socks off. I can't believe that this stuff used to be OTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

They still are OTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Had the same thing happen to me when I requested phenergan (an antihistamine ) in the pharmacy. Despite the patient care leaflet saying it is over the counter the pharmacist told it was prescription only.

Phenergan is OTC but widely misused, wouldn't blame the pharmacist at all. As an actual antihistamine, it pretty much went out with the dinosaurs.

(Not saying you'd misuse it, just that a lot of people do).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For those that are concerned ---- If I want to get a High , I"ll smoke some dope .!!! The whole point I"m trying to make is -- There is a list of controlled drugs that can only be sold on Prescription. These prescriptions make money for the Chemists , ergo , the more Drugs that are prescribed , the more money the Chemists make. Surely a Chemist cannot decide to place a drug into the "Controlled" category just on a whim???

A pharmacist makes the same money whether they sell an OTC product OTC or on a prescription. Stop looking for conspiracies.

The pharmacist decided not to sell you codeine, as is their right. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Phenergan is OTC but widely misused, wouldn't blame the pharmacist at all. As an actual antihistamine, it pretty much went out with the dinosaurs.

(Not saying you'd misuse it, just that a lot of people do).

Really can't imagine them much good for what they are meant for.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Ahh the wagons are beginning to circle !!! .Lets address the "Point" . Which is ---- . Has a chemist the "Right to put a non prescribed drug , on Prescription only" ???." Answer the Question Chemists. Nobody is disputing his right to "Refuse Service" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The answer is that he has a right to tell you that, if he doesn't want to sell to you OTC. So, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It might have been the chemist's polite way of telling you that you weren't getting it without a prescription. Your GP can add non-prescription drugs to a regular script. This should reassure the pharmacist that you are seeking it for valid reasons.

A chemist doesn't get money from prescriptions, they get money from selling drugs. Some drugs require a prescription, so they can only sell when one is present but this is not them making money from a prescription, they are still making money from selling the drugs. Deciding to require a prescription for certain OTC drugs will not make them more money, it will make them less. Some customers will get the requested prescription but most will just go to another chemist, meaning the chemist misses out on sales. There is no possible way the chemists motives here could be greed as they can have zero financial gain for doing this.

So do they give the prescription charge to charity?

MYOB wrote: »
    A pharmacist makes the same money whether they sell an OTC product OTC or on a prescription. Stop looking for conspiracies.

The pharmacist decided not to sell you codeine, as is their right. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

dudara wrote: »
    reassure the pharmacist that you are seeking it for valid reasons.

I'm assuming the OP is an adult, right? I think the pharmacist should assume an adult will decide for him- or herself what constitutes a valid reason for procuring an OTC drug such as "solpadeine", and consider their decision to buy such drugs to be none of their business. But if they want to play silly buggers, they have every right to do so. As has been pointed out several times already: just vote with your feet. For every pharmacist who gives you a hard time you'll be able to find another one who doesn't. So give them the business instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

rozeboosje wrote: »
    and consider their decision to buy such drugs to be none of their business.

Thats the pharmacist job! so even though according to the op the pharmacist didn't ask what he was using it for in this case, it is very much the pharmacists business to make sure they are using it for the correct reasons.

They are also only licenced over the counter for certain conditions so again, very much the pharmacists business to ascertian these reasons

The answer is that he has a right to tell you that, if he doesn't want to sell to you OTC. So, yes.

Read what I"m asking ---- I"m NOT disputing his right to refuse service. Again -- Has he the right to place a non prescription drug on prescription only???? . What do you not understand about this point!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Ahh the wagons are beginning to circle !!! .Lets address the "Point" . Which is ---- . Has a chemist the "Right to put a non prescribed drug , on Prescription only" ???." Answer the Question Chemists. Nobody is disputing his right to "Refuse Service" .

Would you rather he had said "I'm not selling it to you because I don't think you will use it appropriately"? Would that really have sat better with you?

He doesn't have the right to refuse to sell it you if he thinks it inappropriate, he is obliged to refuse to sell it.

If you come in with a prescription and later go into liver failure because you're a codeine fiend, then the doctor takes the flak.

• Advertisement

you would not get charged a prescription charge for this even though he asked you to produce a prescription.

I would assume (even though you will probably deny this!) that you have asked for solpadiene many times from this pharmacy and he has now worried that you are over using or abusing them so has asked you to produce a prescription from your doctor.

Read what I"m asking ---- I"m NOT disputing his right to refuse service. Again -- Has he the right to place a non prescription drug on prescription only???? . What do you not understand about this point!!

you have been told that he has the right to do this many times, read the responses more carefully

Thats the pharmacist job! so even though according to the op the pharmacist didn't ask what he was using it for in this case, it is very much the pharmacists business to make sure they are using it for the correct reasons.

They are also only licenced over the counter for certain conditions so again, very much the pharmacists business to ascertian these reasons

Exactly!!
    Then why did he not question my motive for buying this product rather than saying "I only sell this product on Prescription" I suppose the Prescription Charge is nowhere on his mind.

Thats the pharmacist job!

Nonsense. OTC drugs are considered safe for self-medication. That's why they're OTC. Giving a customer a hard time for their decision to buy such a drug is meddling in somebody else's business.

Yes, they have every right to do so. They have every right to stick their nose into other people's medical business and to "play doctor" from behind their counter, denying a customer a sale because they think they know better. But as a customer I wouldn't tolerate such meddling in my affairs. What's next? Off licence employees demanding a prescription? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Nonsense. OTC drugs are considered safe for self-medication. That's why they're OTC. Giving a customer a hard time for their decision to buy such a drug is meddling in somebody else's business.

Yes, they have every right to do so. They have every right to stick their nose into other people's medical business and to "play doctor" from behind their counter, denying a customer a sale because they think they know better. But as a customer I wouldn't tolerate such meddling in my affairs. What's next? Off licence employees demanding a prescription? LOL

This is an extremely ill-informed comment.

You clearly have absolutely no idea what pharmacists do "behind their counter".

OTC drugs are considered safe for sale "under the supervision of a pharmacist". This is why you cannot buy more than X number of paracetamol in a supermarket, as nobody their is qualified to advise you should you have any issues. This is why you cannot buy the multitudes of other OTC drugs in supermarkets. OTC sale applies only to drugs which can be sold in a pharmacy - their is no self medication about it.

What you are referring to as "self medication" are items which belong to another category of drugs, the "General Sales List" which can be bought in supermarkets and thus constitute "self medication".

Please sir/madam - learn some facts before you go making such sweepingly incorrect generalisations

If you read the op's previous posts you will see that he has a serious chip on his shoulder regarding pharmacists so he will use any opportunity to have a pop!

how he could try to accuse the pharmacist as being greedy in this situation is baffling but not out of character!

Strange as it may seem , the Government seems to have the same chip on their shoulder. This is manifested in the fact that they have reduced the price that they are going to pay !!! Poor Chemists !!!. Still crying Wolf , although more Shops are opening every week!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No need for the aggression - I said yes he could if he wished. Now do you understand?

Exactly!!
    Then why did he not question my motive for buying this product rather than saying "I only sell this product on Prescription" I suppose the Prescription Charge is nowhere on his mind.

I've already told you that you would not be charged a prescription charge even if he asked you to produce a prescription for it.
    Can you not read?

A pharmacist would be well aware that the customer is much more likely to go to the next pharmacy than come back with a prescription so it was clearly not his motive to add a prescription charge.
    I say "clearly" as it would be clear to most people but maybe not to you.

Strange as it may seem , the Government seems to have the same chip on their shoulder. This is manifested in the fact that they have reduced the price that they are going to pay !!! Poor Chemists !!!. Still crying Wolf , although more Shops are opening every week!!!!

I don't see any chemists crying wolf!

• Advertisement

Having said all that, maybe it's easier to just go and get the prescription. As you state you're in your mid-60s there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons why you might need to take a drug such as Solpadeine, be it chronic headaches, arthritis or whatnot. I'm in my late 40s, I have club feet and by now I can have painful feet for days at a stretch. I know it's mildly arthritic in nature, and that, while it can be quite painful at times, it's not serious enough to warrant more drastic intervention. So I go get Solpadeine or Nurofen+ when I need it and I take it as long as it takes for things to settle down. But if things got any worse I don't think my doctor would hesitate to prescribe what I need. So maybe that's the better solution rather than letting a *bleep* of a pharmacist wind you up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement