Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridesmaid snub?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,
    Just wanted to see if I am being unreasonable about this as can't chat to my friends as I don't want to cause any ill feeling/sniping. A good friend of mine ( I consider them a good genuine friend) was bridesmaid for me along with others.
    She was delighted etc and is now getting married herself next summer. I am not a bridesmaid which though I was a bit hurt about (as I would love to be part of it) i can understand as its a low key wedding. The thing I am more hurt about is that she never said "look I am having a low key do, hope you understand" but she never actually addressed it at all and I feel a bit of a fool. Now I know it's no big deal not being a b.m. but I am genuinely hurt and just expected more decency from her especially as we'''ve known each other a very long time. Everyone I know assumes I am one of the bridesmaids and it's slightly embarrassing when I have to say no I'm actually not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

You are being a drama queen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not being big time into wedding things - are bridesmaids usually unmarried? I know it doesn't matter, but is that the tradition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Awkward, yes a little
    Over dramatic, yes, a LOT!

You said it yourself the wedding is low key. It's not personal but if you make it so ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You had an unrealistic expectantion.
    You've no one to blame for your disappointment but yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Think about how awkward that conversation could have been though. I actually had the 'this is why I'm only having 2 bridesmaids' chat with a really good friend, and because she is a good friend, she was very understanding and positive about it - but it did leave a slightly awkward feeling hanging in the air for a brief moment. We have always been very direct with each other so this suited our way of doing things, but I could well imagine that your friend assumed that you wouldn't take it personally and that you would understand, so bringing it up could just be uncomfortable and unnecessary for both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Shelly Cooper

Redser87 wrote: »
    Think about how awkward that conversation could have been though. I actually had the 'this is why I'm only having 2 bridesmaids' chat with a really good friend, and because she is a good friend, she was very understanding and positive about it - but it did leave a slightly awkward feeling hanging in the air for a brief moment. We have always been very direct with each other so this suited our way of doing things, but I could well imagine that your friend assumed that you wouldn't take it personally and that you would understand, so bringing it up could just be uncomfortable and unnecessary for both of you.

Thanks Redser. I am a laidback sort so maybe she didn't see the need to say anything like you say. Being a pretty relaxed person I was even surprised myself at feeling left out and upset about it. I wouldn't want to create any uncomfortable feeling between us so I would never say anything and am looking forward to sharing her big day.
    Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shelly Cooper

Redser87 wrote: »

Thanks Redser. I am a laidback sort so maybe she didn't see the need to say anything like you say. Being a pretty relaxed person I was even surprised myself at feeling left out and upset about it. I wouldn't want to create any uncomfortable feeling between us so I would never say anything and am looking forward to sharing her big day.
    Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

To be fair, if everyone you know assumes you're a bridesmaid, it's clearly not just an assumption on your part that you would have been asked and in that situation I think you could have expected the issue to be addressed and be given an explanation.

Of course she's entitled to have whoever she wants, but she should handle her friendships properly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

To be fair, if everyone you know assumes you're a bridesmaid, it's clearly not just an assumption on your part that you would have been asked and in that situation I think you could have expected the issue to be addressed and be given an explanation.

Of course she's entitled to have whoever she wants, but she should handle her friendships properly too.

^^^THIS!
    Very well put!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I think if you are feeling hurt, you should bring it up with your friend, obviously in a non confrontational manner. She probably has no idea how you feel and thought because you are married yourself, you have no interest in being part of another ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't take it personally, there is no guarantee that just because someone was bridesmaid for you that you will be asked to return the favour. If you still feel upset I would tell her though, clear the air and get it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

spurious wrote: »
    Not being big time into wedding things - are bridesmaids usually unmarried? I know it doesn't matter, but is that the tradition?

Traditionally, yes, but lots of BMs are married these days, at least at weddings I've attended or know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,241 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

spurious wrote: »
    Traditionally, bridesmaids are indeed unmarried, but marriagable - i.e. not too young to marry . A married woman filling the same role was a "matron of honour", not a bridesmaid, and it was customary only to have one.

But of course you can do it how you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Why would she discuss it with you though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Sorry, but you are being a drama queen. It's one thing to be hurt, but to refer "decency" is a bit much.

You've been married yourself, so you should know the stresses and strains that go along with organising a wedding.

She possibly should have handled it differently - I don't know, we are only hearing one side - but apart from that I don't see what she has done wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,241 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't see the problem. She's having a low-key wedding - you said it yourself. Therefore, there's a limited number of bridesmaid places to be filled. She doesn't need you. She's your friend, and if she needed you you'd be there for her and you would support her however she needed but, as things have panned out, she doesn't need you.

I don't see that she needs to apologise or explain for not needing you to be a bridesmaid; you have no right to be needed, and there is nothing here that requires explanation. Without any explanation at all you have grasped that this is a low-key wedding, what more is there to explain?

No doubt you regret that you won't have the opportunity to show your support for your friend by acting as her bridesmaid. But the purpose of the wedding was never to allow you to demonstrate your friendship in this particular way. What you can do in the current circumstance is demonstrate your friendship by by being completely happy for her that she is having the wedding that she wants, unconstrained by the expectations of others; by attending the wedding as a completely happy guest; by having a great time; and by not finding some imagined disregard of yourself in her wedding plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Look the bride has enough on her plate with choosing two bridesmaids and asking them without having to go around to all the people she could have had as bridesmaid and explained why she didn't choose them.

Just because she was your bridesmaid does not obligate her to return the favour. My friend has been bridesmaid to 5 brides. Is she going to have to have the 5 of them as bridesmaid for her??? Obviously not. And she doesn't have to explain to anyone on them why they weren't picked.

Just get over it OP, it's not your right to be bridesmaid. You have no reason to be slighted (no matter if others thought you would be BM) - it is up to the bride and only the bride and no one else, not even YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Also I would imagine that people are asking because she was one of your bridesmaids. The same way they might ask a sister of the bride or groom.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Who are these people who are asking you if you're a bridesmaid? Are they just making polite conversation when the subject if the wedding comes up? Just say 'no she's having X and Y'. I don't see the big deal here.

I have three close female friends. When I had my daughter I picked one to be her godmother. One of the three was annoyed that I didn't pick her and hadn't told her why I picked the other. She brought it up and we had an incredibly awkward conversation about why I thought my other friend would make a better godmother. Not fun!

Don't make this an issue with your friend. Your friendship doesn't need it and certainly won't benefit from it. Just go to her wedding as a guest and enjoy yourself. Being a bridesmaid isn't all that much craic tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

From the brides point of view - I was chief BM for my friend last summer, it was amazing but hard work at the same time, she wasnt bridezilla or anything but went all out & it was a very big traditional wedding.

I'm getting married this year & I decided I'm not actually having BMs at all! We are having a humanist service & only having witnesses. I sat my friend down & explained to her that I wasnt having BMs & I had asked another friend of ours to be my witness but I wanted everyone involved in the wedding etc. She seemed fine about it at the time but actually turns out she was really pissed off me with & turned it into a big deal.

It was really upsetting for me that she was upset about it - it was my choice, my wedding & it was an awful horrible feeling having to deal with that. If I was you, I wouldnt bring it up with her at ALL - it makes brides feel like sh1te, weddings are hard enough organising them & keeping everyone - family/friends - happy! While everyone says its 'YOUR' day, all you hear about is what everyone else wants, it can be very frustrating. If I was you - I would be supportive and helpful, like a true friend, instead lumping more moans onto her. Genuinely I would say it didnt even cross her mind to tell you because she would assume as a friend, you would understand.

Turn up with a bottle of wine & offer to help - be involved, she will appreciate that more than hearing that your feelings are hurt, even a little bit - its really horrible hearing that when you feel you are splitting yourself apart as it is to keep everyone happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're friends a very good time, she probably thought she didn't need to address it on account of you knowing it was low key. She probably doesn't realise she made the wrong choice.

I wouldn't take it personally as she has never proven herself to be anything but a good, genuine friend, as far as I can make out. She just didn't realise the effect of not addressing it personally.

I don't think you're making a big deal of it. You just thought you should have been told explicitly why you weren't going to be a bridesmaid. By the same token, your friend didn't think she had to.

But even if she had taken you aside and said she was doing it low-key etc etc, you'd still have to explain that to people who assumed you were bridesmaid.

Long story short, if she's a genuinely good friend and has always proven herself as such, then that's what she is and don't take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op I think you should be delighted more than annoyed. Being a bridesmaid is hard work, at least now (if you are invited) you can go to the wedding and enjoy yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Well you can't help how you feel but I do think you are over reacting. It's pity she didn't say it to you but perhaps she thought you would just understand. Who is she actually having? it is family or other friends? I was asked to be a BM once then unasked... I just smiled but its was pretty sh*te. Her family got offended as she hadn't asked them so her friends got dropped and replaced, I was still involved and randomly got thanked as the best woman?! I know I did a lot more than her BM's to help her and I'm glad I did. The time I actually was a BM would make me never want to do it again and be grateful not to be asked!! I just had one my best friend who was amazing! but i know I won't be her's as she has a sister wouldn't dream of being offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep me thinks you are thinking about it way too much and being over sensitive.. I would think aswell for your own sake you should clear the air with her on your side. She hasn't done anything wrong but maybe get it off your chest so you don't hold it against her...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,332 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why not ask her if there is something you can do at the wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I guess its a bit too late to bring it up now.
    If you did, she's then feels then that she will have to include her on BM list and then that will cause a discomfortable situtation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭pooch90

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

It is not unreasonable to be a bit upset over something like this. We are all human after all.

I do think it would be unreasonable, though, to mention this to your friend. If you are genuinely friends the only thing you should be doing now is celebrating her engagement with her and asking her if there is anything you can do to help her prepare for the wedding.

In my humble opinion, you have nothing to achieve by telling your friend that you are upset.

And for those who are asking you are you not being one of the bridesmaids, there is no explanation needed. You are not being her bridesmaid, end of. She is still one of your best friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I understand you were a little upset - as the poster above said, we are all human.

But we are also adult humans, time to pull on those big girl panties and get over it.

It does not mean anything less of your friendship that you are not a bm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

pooch90 wrote: »
    I'm upset that I have been cast to the side when she has no sisters and we had always said we would stand for each other.

Things change. One should not be held to promises you make when you are young etc. Particularly when there has been a falling out along the way.

You seem very bitter about this/it seems to have hurt you bad? Frankly it does not change your friendship.... unless you let it. And you seem so bitter about it that I think you need to make a decision - let it go and get over it. Or if simply can't let it go (!!!) Is it time to let your friend go?

Advertisement