Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 'life reset' button - would you press it?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

If you had the chance to hit the reset button on your life, would you do it?
    Your life as you know it now would cease to exist, and you'd return to living your life from the day you were born.
    You, and others living today, wouldn't know that you lived before.
    There is one key factor though - you life would not be the same as last time, and some / or all events may be different.
    Would you do it?

I've had some regrets, but there's no way I'd throw away everything I've had and hope to have.

To confirm, you do not know anything of your previous existance.
    Also, your life would NOT be the exact same, but how different is unknown (although, you'd still be born into the same circumstance. eg . same parents etc...).

'Life Reset' - do you dare to press it? 104 votes

Yes! Push the button! Push IT!
    0% 0 votes
    No thanks!
    50% 52 votes
    Atari Pushuar
    50% 52 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Shakespeare had some thoughts on that...

But that the dread of something after death,
    The undiscover’d country from whose bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than fly to others that we know not of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Based upon the premise that I would effectively be resetting everyone else's life as well, I'm going to go with no; too much power.

Ask me again though when I'm older and closer to vacating this space...,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

housetypeb wrote: »

That's lovely, we need more Shakespeare in AH threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Only if its a big red button,nobody can resist those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Gotta love an AH thread that takes an intelligence upturn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

According to Shakespeare "Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood."
    That would never suit AH.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would you hold onto information you have witnessed in this life eg sporting results?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Would you hold onto information you have witnessed in this life eg sporting results?

Nope.
    Sorry Biff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I like my life quite a lot, so definitely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would hammer the **** out of that button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Nope

Everything i have done has led me to this point. a reset would be worthless

I have a good job and great experience that I might not have had if i went through college.

I've had great relationships that I may have missed out on if I had of stayed with a job 10 years ago

I am surrounded by great friends after i moved

I have met loads of other friends online through a site I wouldn't have used if things were different a few years ago

Could i be happier? sure i guess

Could i be sadder? Oh jesus yes.

Does my life suck right now, yip a fair bit but i know this is only temporary and i know that despite it being a crappy month and another one coming up at work if I want I have options and can leave (although work is trying their best to keep me happy!), how many other people in the world are stuck in terrible conditions and have no other options or escape.

I'll take being me right now anytime instead of a what if, life experience has taught me that life could be so much worse. Waking up everyday and smiling is enough for me.

I'll take this life over a reset any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

I've often said that I wouldn't mind a do-over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I knew his sister, roide!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

stefahy1 wrote: »
    yup

He doesn't say much-and when he does,he doesn't say much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

It's a bit of a silly question as you'd end up wondering how your current life would have ended just as much as you'd wonder how your new life would start. It's really the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

My gut reaction to this question is YES without a doubt!

Quick query though, would you have the same parents and siblings?
    Would you be raised in the same country or at least a country that is not torn apart by war or famine?

If answer is no to either of those questions then I would not reset.
    Otherwise yes I certainly would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

Of course I'd do it.

If I understand this correctly, I would have all the knowledge I currently have, right?

Well, that's a no brainer then as I could help people avoid mistakes they are about to make, that I would make, change world events and get rich from registering domain names, betting on sporting events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

This doesn't make sense to me.

If you don't remember your original life, there is no reason to think the second-time through would be any different. Like, let's say you dropped out of school to start a rock band....then hated your life....then at the age of 30, you hit the reset button. The new you would probably still love music. Probably still start a band. Probably still drop out. Everything would just repeat itself.

If you DO remember your original life - well, that's a different story. But that's a bit like having cheat-codes to life. Anyone of us could end up super-rich in the alternative time-line. Before Microsoft exists, wait for it to exist, then invest in it. When MP3 players come out, but before Apple releases theirs - buy stock in Apple. Before 9-11 short the market. Really, just about anything you remember is free money. If you watch sports - even better. You'd make a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Tomorrow I can reset myself, everything will be better and I will make an effort. Then tomorrow I will look to the next tomorrow where I can rest myself and everything will be better and I will make good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Na, the grass isn't always greener!

Happy out with my lot, it's not perfect but it keeps me content!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

UCDVet wrote: »
    Before 9-11 short the market.
    Some people are so materialistic.

How about "before 9-11 ring in a bomb threat to the twin towers so the building gets evacuated and save a few 1000 lives". Safe 1000's of families from a life of grief, I'd find that far more rewarding than becoming a millionaire off the incident to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

I got this from the OP's post, you press the reset button and you are reborn now,random chance anywhere in the world,in the present,as a baby who retains his memory of his past life.
    I wouldn't press that button, under that premise anyway.
    I demand that the OP,who is obviously God,erase the remembering part.

Yeah I wouldn't press it in these circumstances either.
    If I was reset back to the year I was born, with the same parents and siblings, in a safe country then I would press it.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

UCDVet wrote: »
    This doesn't make sense to me.

If you don't remember your original life, there is no reason to think the second-time through would be any different. Like, let's say you dropped out of school to start a rock band....then hated your life....then at the age of 30, you hit the reset button. The new you would probably still love music. Probably still start a band. Probably still drop out. Everything would just repeat itself.

If you DO remember your original life - well, that's a different story. But that's a bit like having cheat-codes to life. Anyone of us could end up super-rich in the alternative time-line. Before Microsoft exists, wait for it to exist, then invest in it. When MP3 players come out, but before Apple releases theirs - buy stock in Apple. Before 9-11 short the market. Really, just about anything you remember is free money. If you watch sports - even better. You'd make a fortune.

Not a believer of chaos theory then?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Nope.
    Sorry Biff.

Just seen this post now!

This is a farce, a farce I say!

You clearly said:
    You, and no one else, would know that you lived before.
    There is one key factor though - you life would not be the same as last time, and some / or all events may be different.
    Would you do it?

Which means the person themselves would know but no one else would.

Sure if you didn't have that knowledge, you'd do everything the same. Why would life be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Nice idea but as it would mean that I may not end up with my wife, and certainly my kids would never exist I would have to say no......although, having said that, doing this may allow Liverpool not to have that awful 90's period in their history.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nope.
    Sorry Biff.

Bum deal, if you couldn't remember then you'd lead the same life again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Nope.

It'd be tempting for some things, but I've a couple of kids, and the chances of me hitting my wife's eggs with the exact right two sperm all over again has got to be infinitesimally small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'd buy hundreds of shares in apple and google in the early 00's.

You'd have no knowledge of such things, apparently:
    Nope.
    Sorry Biff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sorry folks - a stupid typo has confused everyone, so I've updated the OP.

To confirm, you do not know anything of your previous existance.
    Also, your life would NOT be the exact same, but how different is unknown (although, you'd still be born into the same circumstance. eg . same parents etc...).

After thinking more about it, it may be a more interesting question if I said 'by the age of 40, you will win the lotto.
    Of course, you'd never know this when you live your 'new life' ...

Advertisement