Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.8 metre rule back

Options
  • 30-08-2014 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi guys, had a call from a friend in the trade.
    He said he received an email stating that the 1.8 metre rule is back due to the amount of people trying to register new vans,
    However it states that anyone importing a camper conversion with lower headroom will be accepted.
    I don't have any further info at present but will try to get a copy of the email

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

we got the same email the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Wizard wrote: »
    However it states that anyone importing a camper conversion with lower headroom will be accepted.

Aren't they discriminating against Irish conversion companies by doing that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That email was from the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland. NOT from the Revenue.

It's a disgrace and damages the creditibility of the Motor Caravan Club, when they send information around, that a) is incorrect and b) probably is pushed by other elements in the Motor Caravan industry in Ireland, as they try to damage the market for the irish van converters.

If the Revenue were to re-introduce the 1.8m rule, they would be in breach of the EU laws, which removed this rule in the first place, while other countries still are in the process of removing or just have removed the height restriction from their laws. (I believe, Germany only dropped the 1.7m rule this year).

Also, were they to re-introduce the 1.8m rule, they would kill off irish businesses and irish jobs. These are people, that then will be on the Dole or be leaving the country. Figure that for the irish economy.

Anyhow. This has been queried with Revenue and while they are keeping their options open, it has not been reintroduced currently.

The rules for conversions can be found here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vehicle-conversions.html#section7 . This is the ONE AND ONLY source for the specification for a camper and anything else is hear say.

Should these rules change, this document is what changes. Anywhere else is based on this document.

In my opinion, that email is a political stunt to push for a rule change, rather than anything else. It's bad form and paints a very bad picture for the reputability of the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland.

Insuring a camper under 1.8m height then is another story.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Marlow wrote: »
    The rules for conversions can be found here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vehicle-conversions.html#section7 . This is the ONE AND ONLY source for the specification for a camper and anything else is hear say.

At some stage in the last 6 months they added this gem: "Comfortable living accommodation should comprise an area where a person (of average height) could move around in a standing position." :rolleyes:

moodrater wrote: »
    At some stage in the last 6 months they added this gem: "Comfortable living accommodation should comprise an area where a person (of average height) could move around in a standing position." :rolleyes:

Yep. But it's subjective to whoever does the assessment. And what's average height ?

If you ask Revenue what average height is, they'll ignore you and don't answer.

Also, standing yes, but it doesn't say, that it's upraised standing. Matter of interpretation.

Fact is, that asked about the 1.8m rule, their answer was, that they currently not are reintroducing it. Fact is also, that the email was NOT from Revenue. It was from the Motor Caravan Club, who may have their own agenda trying to push this.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A most disappointing thread.

All clubs and the industry should be campaigning to bring the most beneficial environment to Ireland for the users of motorhomes.
    It's important that owners of such vehicles, no matter how big or small, can derive the full benefits for their investments.

One of the most overdue campaigns is for the removal of hight barriers which deny the full use of the pubic road, such barriers are illegal in France and other countries when they discriminate against the the free circulation of some vehicles.

Another issue which the trade and some clubs have been silent on is the VRT farce, I know a VRT has to be paid but the way it's calculated is shrouded in secrecy and often bears no relation to the actual selling prices motorhomes are making in this market. The tax is also structured in such a way as to discourage personal imports by denying citizens the knowledge of how much the tax will be until after the purchase has been made. We must be the only country where the Government requires we complete a purchase transaction without knowing its full after tax price. OMSP my @rse. rant over.
    Come to think about it, the way VRT is operated in respect of motorhomes is probably against some human right or other international convention

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

niloc1951 wrote: »

One of the most overdue campaigns is for the removal of hight barriers which deny the full use of the pubic road, such barriers are illegal in France and other countries when they discriminate against the the free circulation of some vehicles.

I can't see barriers being removed any time soon. Unfortunately these barriers have resulted from a certain element of the population.

The tax is also structured in such a way as to discourage personal imports

This seems to be the theme with all vehicles regardless of category. The system is simply unfair.

It would also seem that the scare mongering is beginning on classified ads also. This will certainly not help

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/mazda-bongo-conversation/7644008

It would also seem that the scare mongering is beginning on classified ads also. This will certainly not help

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/mazda-bongo-conversation/7644008

A trader, that needs scare mongering to get business, is somebody I simply wouldn't deal with.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I don't have an opinion on the hight rule,if it works for you who cares how hi it is, but the VRT thing boils my head, as someone who has always self imported I find the current system ludicrous, if the clubs what some thing to do they can join me in my e mail campaign, not that i seem to be getting anywhere with it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Whilst I agree that height barriers are a pain even for my small camper, as far as I'm aware there are no height barriers on public roads, only into public/private car parks. Public car parks are provided by town councils to enable people to have access to the town by coming in by car but, again as far as I'm aware, there is no legal responsibility on the councils to provide these. If all height barriers were removed is it not possible that, apart from one well known community, they could be taken over by numerious commercial vehicles for overnight parking?. How about living next/close to a car park with one or two refrigerated lorries parking overnight?. Not good.

You, niloc, say that they are illegal in France, so are you saying that no public/council provided town car parks have barriers? I've only taken cars on to the continent so have never needed to be aware of barriers.

Yes they are a pain but not sure what the answer is.

• Advertisement

You, niloc, say that they are illegal in France, so are you saying that no public/council provided town car parks have barriers? I've only taken cars on to the continent so have never needed to be aware of barriers.

Height barriers are a pure irish and maybe british phenomenon.

On the continent, they only exist to protect a building/bridge behind them. Never to restrict access to an area. At least in the countries I've been to, and that's a lot of western Europe.

/M

Height barriers are a pure irish and maybe british phenomenon.

On the continent, they only exist to protect a building/bridge behind them. Never to restrict access to an area. At least in the countries I've been to, and that's a lot of western Europe.

/M

As I said, I've never noticed them in France, or Germany when I lived there, or Spain, Portugal, Belgium or Holland because they didn't affect me. So what if they are only in Ireland or Britain?, that doesn't change the fact that unless there is a law regarding them it is up to individual councils or town managers as to whether they, or even the carparks that they protect, are needed, and I think we all know how much notice they take of public opinion.
    If camper owners were to start some sort of campaign with regard to parking, which I would fully support, I think pushing for a short stay parking area on the edge of towns would be likely to have more luck than barrier removal. Just my opinion.

Whilst I agree that height barriers are a pain even for my small camper, as far as I'm aware there are no height barriers on public roads, only into public/private car parks. Public car parks are provided by town councils to enable people to have access to the town by coming in by car but, again as far as I'm aware, there is no legal responsibility on the councils to provide these. If all height barriers were removed is it not possible that, apart from one well known community, they could be taken over by numerious commercial vehicles for overnight parking?. How about living next/close to a car park with one or two refrigerated lorries parking overnight?. Not good.

Yes they are a pain but not sure what the answer is.

Roads Act, 1993:

“public road” means a road over which a public right of way exists and the responsibility for the maintenance of which lies on a road authority.

“road” includes—
    (a) any street, lane, footpath, square, court, alley or passage.

Road Traffic Act, 1961:
    “car park” means a place (not being part of a public road) for the parking of mechanically propelled vehicles
    (7) A local authority may make bye-laws as to the use of any car park provided by them under this section, and, in particular, in relation to all or any of the following matters:(a) restricting the classes of vehicles which may be admitted to the car park;

Now, a motor caravan and a car are both in the same vehicle class, ie, Passenger vehicle with less than eight seats not including the drivers seat.
    There is nothing in The Act which permits restrictions based on vehicle hight. There are after all many different class's of vehicle which may be of differing heights, think of goods vehicle these can be anywhere between a car derived van and a 4.65 metre HGV

Roads Act, 1993:

“public road” means a road over which a public right of way exists and the responsibility for the maintenance of which lies on a road authority.

“road” includes—
    (a) any street, lane, footpath, square, court, alley or passage.

Road Traffic Act, 1961:
    “car park” means a place (not being part of a public road) for the parking of mechanically propelled vehicles
    (7) A local authority may make bye-laws as to the use of any car park provided by them under this section, and, in particular, in relation to all or any of the following matters:(a) restricting the classes of vehicles which may be admitted to the car park;

Now, a motor caravan and a car are both in the same vehicle class, ie, Passenger vehicle with less than eight seats not including the drivers seat.
    There is nothing in The Act which permits restrictions based on vehicle hight. There are after all many different class's of vehicle which may be of differing heights, think of goods vehicle these can be anywhere between a car derived van and a 4.65 metre HGV

Exactly. Bye-laws. Nothing to stop councils from having restrictions within different classes of vehicles. Private vehicles only up to a certain height, commercial vehicles up to a certain weight etc..
    Not the law of the land, just down to the whim of the council unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Some public car parks in France do have height barriers, however, there will usually be designated parking for bigger vehicles close by.

Why do people create and maintain the image of bogeymen??
    I've often heard it said that these barriers are neccasary to prevent transient people living there for a time. Very few people still move around like this as they would have even 10 years ago. There is no reason why fear means will all should be punished. If a carpark is big enough for vans then it should have no barrier. Let the police deal with anybody who breaks the law.
    France has a large transient community and ample parking for campers in most towns but abuse would not be tolerated. Or the parking of 45ft fridges.

Another bogeyman people create is the image of the person who will convert thousands of vehicles if there are no minumum heights required for campers just to ensure they get cheap tax. People have different needs and if someones camper meets their needs and conforms to the EU law well that fine by me regardless of size.

Moomat wrote: »
    If a carpark is big enough for vans then it should have no barrier. Let the police deal with anybody who breaks the law.

Unfortunatly there's still a lot of that community here.

And the garda have in many cases no saying, when it comes to a carpark. And often don't care anyhow.

Combine those two issues and the barriers won't dissapear for the forseeable future.

/M

That email was from the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland. NOT from the Revenue.

Should these rules change, this document is what changes. Anywhere else is based on this document.

Insuring a camper under 1.8m height then is another story.

/M

Unfortuately Revenue take much of their guidance from The Motorcaravan Club. I had correspondence from them to Revenue quoted to me by Rosslare when I was trying to get a vehicle passed.

Revenue will probably follow the line that in their view living accommodation means being able to stand up and move around. I doubt they will put it in writing that 1.8m is a new requirement but will proabably refuse the conversions on some associated reason. Ultimately I suppose you could appeal, appeal and probably appeal somewhere else but how long and how much would that be.

The only people who would insure campers less than 1.8 are the Motorcaravan Club. I wonder what their stance will be going forward??

Unfortuately Revenue take much of their guidance from The Motorcaravan Club. I had correspondence from them to Revenue quoted to me by Rosslare when I was trying to get a vehicle passed.

They have a lot of pull alright. That's the reason, why this is being challenged by the converters.

Also, they're not the only ones to insure vehicles under 1.8m. Dolmen will also, if it is build by certain converters, who have made an agreement with them.

The Motor Caravan Club only insures under 1.8m, if it's a good conversion and they will inspect it.

That's where I mentioned before, that insurance is an entirely different matter.

/M

I had correspondence from them to Revenue quoted to me by Rosslare when I was trying to get a vehicle passed.

Was that recently regarding the 1.8m or something else?

Unfortunatly there's still a lot of that community here.

And the garda have in many cases no saying, when it comes to a carpark. And often don't care anyhow.

Combine those two issues and the barriers won't dissapear for the forseeable future.

/M

I'm not sure where you are but there are very few groups moving around that I have seen in recent years. Even so that reenforces my point. We should not all be punished for the actions of a few.
    Lets say there's 5,000 car parks in Ireland that would be suitable for a camper for a night or 2, France Aires style even. And lets say there are 20 groups moving around who like to stay in car parks. My sums may be wrong but that's a 0.4% chance that they are in a carpark somewhere. Surely the eforcement should be on the wrong doer's and not the 1000's of car parks with no problem.
    Policing it this way is crazy and I suppose we should be hounding the Garda and local public representatives to deal with it in a less lazy fashion.

• Advertisement

Was that recently regarding the 1.8m or something else?

Yep, that and my kitchen arrangement.

Anyhow.

If they give us any issues, I'll just start offering a service, where you export the van to NI and then reimport :)

VRT is the same rate either way :D

They can f*ck right off.

/M

Revenue will probably follow the line that in their view living accommodation means being able to stand up and move around. I doubt they will put it in writing that 1.8m is a new requirement but will proabably refuse the conversions on some associated reason. Ultimately I suppose you could appeal, appeal and probably appeal somewhere else but how long and how much would that be.

The only people who would insure campers less than 1.8 are the Motorcaravan Club. I wonder what their stance will be going forward??

There are two separate issues at play here.

A motor caravan is a special purpose M category vehicle constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:
    — seats and table,
    — sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,
    — cooking facilities, and
    — storage facilities.
    This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

End of. No mention of height minimum or otherwise. Therefore any vehicle which meets the above criteria is by definition a motor caravan.

However, here in Ireland we have a VRT and Road Tax system which are local domestic forms of taxation. The tax collectors are entitled to deicide criteria applicable to various vehicles (for example in the UK motor caravans road tax falls within the Private and Heavy Goods Vehicle category depending on GVW)
    The 1.8 metre rule is one such criteria which they can be used if they so wish to permit a motor caravan to qualify for the special motor home tax rate.
    TBH it's probably got to do with attempting to deny people who wish to use a small camper van as their daily transport and avoid the tax costs of a car.

It is also probably a good ides to restrict camper insurance for vehicles which will only be use as campers and not as a principal means of transport. If there were a lot of campers being used daily it would inevitably increase the claims experience of insurers and we could kiss goodbye to the special camper insurance we enjoy.

It is also probably a good ides to restrict camper insurance for vehicles which will only be use as campers and not as a principal means of transport. If there were a lot of campers being used daily it would inevitably increase the claims experience of insurers and we could kiss goodbye to the special camper insurance we enjoy.

The restriction there is already in place, as you can't get campervan insurance, unless you have another policy already. If you don't have another policy or use the camper as your daily, you insure the campervan as a car. End off.

Also, those campervans, who can't be insured, because the insurances require 1.8m can still be insured as a car/mpv no bother. Just a matter of the right answers to the questions an insurance asks.

That discussion has nothing to do with it.

As for the VRT rules, the above is governing for qualifying in the logbook as motor caravan. And motorcaravans have to specified as such on the logbook, because otherwise they get into hassle in other european countries.

If the revenue wanted to have different motor tax rules for campervans based on their usage, then they'd need to set up 2 groups of campervans.

They have to approve caravans as per the above 4 criteria and not to add additional criteria to it, as it's EU law. And this was implemented AS SUCH into irish law in 2011. Anything added to that will contradict the EU law and the harmonization on the european market and hence is not allowed. That's the black on white there.

Should they add things to it again, once courtcase brought to EU level would scooper them.

/M

Also, those campervans, who can't be insured, because the insurances require 1.8m can still be insured as a car/mpv no bother. Just a matter of the right answers to the questions an insurance asks.

me: I'd just like to get a quote on my mpv
    insurance: sure whats the registration number
    me:96wdxxx
    insurance: thats listed as a camper we can't provide you with a quote etc.

me: I'd just like to get a quote on my mpv
    insurance: sure whats the registration number
    me:96wdxxx
    insurance: thats listed as a camper we can't provide you with a quote etc.

First of all, they don't have the category from the logbook most of the time. That's not necessarily, data that they are presented with.

It's also not uncommon, that vehicles are categorized wrongly.

If you have those sort of issues, then you're giving the insurance too much information.

I have successfully insured VW T4 Caravelle, that are campervan conversions as 5 or 7 seater MPVs. No issue whatsover. Two of my colleagues have exactly that: a campervan, that's their only car and hence needs to be insured like that.

/M

The restriction there is already in place, as you can't get campervan insurance, unless you have another policy already. If you don't have another policy or use the camper as your daily, you insure the campervan as a car. End off.

That discussion has nothing to do with it.

As for the VRT rules, the above is governing for qualifying in the logbook as motor caravan. And motorcaravans have to specified as such on the logbook, because otherwise they get into hassle in other european countries.

If the revenue wanted to have different motor tax rules for campervans based on their usage, then they'd need to set up 2 groups of campervans.

They have to approve caravans as per the above 4 criteria and not to add additional criteria to it, as it's EU law. And this was implemented AS SUCH into irish law in 2011. Anything added to that will contradict the EU law and the harmonization on the european market and hence is not allowed. That's the black on white there.

Should they add things to it again, once courtcase brought to EU level would scooper them.

/M
    I think you may have missed my point about the height issue.
    I know if a vehicle fulfils the EU criteria for a motor caravan then that's it, they're EU Vehicle Category (J) motor caravan.

My point is that with respect to the Motor Taxation Class (J.2) and VRT Vehicle Category (J.1) the Government are free to put certain motor caravans into a different class if they so wish, currently all motor caravans are in taxation and VRT class as motor caravans but there is nothing stopping them from putting say motor caravans less than 1.8 meters high into a different class, it's a local issue.
    Motor caravans used to be subject to the car or was it goods tax rates in times past and those over 3,000kg were subject to goods vehicle VRT. Currently motor caravans pay goods vehicle road tax rates in the UK.

All the above is another reason why we need a coherent lobby group to protect and promote the interests of motor caravan owners against the preying eyes of those who seek to relieve of of our hard earned cash.
    We certainly don't need another example of what they did to us with the VRT back in 2011, a draconian measure which added over €12k to the cost of an average motor caravan and not a single protest was heard.

The cheaper VRT rate of 200 EUR for motor caravans over 3000 kg was done away with in 2012.

There is no difference there anymore. So it has nothing to do with anything now.

There's only one category for motorcaravans now as per irish Revenue. So unless they split it up again, into for example over 1.8m and under, they have to stick to the EU rules. They can not exclude campers under 1.8m. Especially not differentiate between vans converted in the countries and vans imported from outside, what the mail from the Motor Caravan Club suggested.

/M

Anyhow. Any of above is assumption.

I confirmed with Rosslare personally, that this was not something they had plans for currently.

The email was from the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland and was not the official voice of Revenue.

End of debate. It's scare mongering. And it's bad form.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

With regards to insurance, just ask the broker to take it to the underwriters. It goes to the real insurance company, and they don't enforce/understand the height ruling and will offer insurance

Advertisement