Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jhconnolly

Emailed Terence Flanagan again today. See if he has any update.

terence.flanagan
    @oireachtas
    dot
    ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

jhconnolly wrote: »
    Emailed Terence Flanagan again today. See if he has any update.

terence.flanagan
    @oireachtas
    dot
    ie

Hear anything back?

Got a letter back from him, it says.

"I have made further representations regarding the matter which you raised with me to Ms Mary Carney of Eircom. Will be in contact as soon as I get a response".

Got a letter back from him, it says.

"I have made further representations regarding the matter which you raised with me to Ms Mary Carney of Eircom. Will be in contact as soon as I get a response".

Fair enough. Hopefully it'll be done sometime in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eannaob

I too recently moved into Bettyglen estate and was disappointed at the lack of UPC. I have started a conversation with UPC to see what we need to do to get their service into the neighbourhood. I have also spoken to the MAB TVA and I believe we have a plan to get UPC into the 1000 houses of the Maywood, Avondale, Bettyglen triangle. There are a few of us who are working on this from the Bettyglen side of Maywood as we have been waiting too long for the planning and Eircom issues to be resolved. We want to have a choice of supplier for broadband, television and telephone. Working off 1.2MB is not acceptable, neither, we believe, is the potential 24MB of eFibre when compared to the potential of 200MB on UPC.
    We do need some support from people living in the area to bring this plan to fruition. As this is my first post I cannot include email addresses or links. But please type this address into you email and contact me so that we can gather a group to move our plan forward. Please email me at

getUPCtoMAB
    at
    icloud
    dot
    com

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Éanna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Eannaob wrote: »
    I too recently moved into Bettyglen estate and was disappointed at the lack of UPC. I have started a conversation with UPC to see what we need to do to get their service into the neighbourhood. I have also spoken to the MAB TVA and I believe we have a plan to get UPC into the 1000 houses of the Maywood, Avondale, Bettyglen triangle. There are a few of us who are working on this from the Bettyglen side of Maywood as we have been waiting too long for the planning and Eircom issues to be resolved. We want to have a choice of supplier for broadband, television and telephone. Working off 1.2MB is not acceptable, neither, we believe, is the potential 24MB of eFibre when compared to the potential of 200MB on UPC.
    We do need some support from people living in the area to bring this plan to fruition. As this is my first post I cannot include email addresses or links. But please type this address into you email and contact me so that we can gather a group to move our plan forward. Please email me at

getUPCtoMAB
    at
    icloud
    dot
    com

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Éanna

I wouldn't be so keen to go rushing off to UPC if I were you. I know sombody who has the UPC package and its costing him €720 a year for tv and broadband. That sounds very expensive to me. Far better to push for Eircom to get planning permission for its fibre broadband because all the other operators such as Vodafone and Sky base their broadband on the Eircom fibre lines. Then there would be competition and peole would have choice and could move around to different suppliers.
    Also 200mbps on paper sounds great but you will find 24mbps would be excellent - ten times the speed of the current non-fibre cables. T

thanks for the input Ernest.
    I've been renting on the Howth road (UPC side) for the last 3 years and have enjoyed UPC's bundle offerings without issue. Yes the total costs for me are around €700 per year for all the Digital TV channels, Telephone service including free landline calls in Ireland all the time with limited free evening mobile calls. I have also had they pleasure of the 100MB Broadband for the last 2 years (I started at 50MB). I could switch to Eircom's eFibre on the Howth Road but would cost the same for similar solution (with less channels, less broadband, plus the Eircom TV service lowers the BB speed by 15Mbs (to provide quality TV service)). 24Mbs less 15Mbs leaves an opportunity of 9Mbs when the kids are watching tele and i'm trying to work upstairs. Adding UPC to the Maywood, Avondale, Bettyglen area would provide an alternative to the copper Eircom wires, (some of which are 40 years old, yes the eFibre to the cabinet would be new cabling but the last wire to your house is critical on the speeds and services obtainable).
    Adding UPC to the neighbourhood would provide choice. It would not take away any of the other services available. (MAB TVA is looking at winding down by 2016. Users can switch to Saorview (a great quality service and free), they can also switch to Sky TV. but for broadband its only through the eircom wires that the service can be had. Cellular (O2, Vodafone etc), is patchy at best around Raheny and there are significant download restrictions on those services Three.ie bundle for 4G is €45/month with a 60GB download limit. I'm currently running at 200-300GB downloads/month in Howth Road due to iTunes music and movies. Netflix, TV on demand, let alone iTunes U for educational content.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Fair play Éanna, I would be more than happy to back you with the plan to introduce UPC to the area. Have just sent you a mail.
    Regarding the fibre cabinet planning, had one of the FG councilors canvassing my house yesterday and he said that the planning was refused yet again for the cabinet. Was surprised he knew of this and he had apparently known this a good 3 weeks ago. Not sure if it's true or not but nobody seems to know anything and relying on the council or Eircom to do anything will take a lot of time, as we have already noticed, and the usual ambiguity. The councilor recommended I get in touch with Eircom to approach the council to speed things up but we've been here before so it's the same old messing by the looks of it.

Got a response from Eircom via Terence Flanagan TD. I won't go through the full response just the important points.

The cabinet in question is CLK1_026. The DCC parks development would not grant permission for this cabinet. Eircom then identified a different location close to a nearby path. On 21st May the DCC granted permission for this site. They can now proceed with construction of the cabinet. The current estimate for completion when customers can place orders is the end of August or early September.

Based on that we should see some activity in the area quite soon. Keep an eye out !

Today at last they have started work on putting in the cabinet in Maywood/Bettyglen. Hooray!

• Advertisement

VDSL Cabinet is now in place. Hopefully it's commissioned soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Thanks Terence!

Chris

This morning I saw a guy working away on the cabinet, looked as though it was being commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭a4j_ie

Where exactly is this cabinet? In wondering if it'll service Bettyglen, particularly the back part, The Court.

Hi a4j_ie, the cabinet that jhconnolly is speaking of is in the Bettlyglen by Maywood. Not the Bettyglen (The village, the Court, etc). This should provide an eircom solution to this Bettyglen, but no choice of provider. I'm still working on a solution around UPC. if you wish to help us can you please email me at

getUPCtoMAB
    at
    icloud
    dot
    com

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Hi a4j_ie, the cabinet that jhconnolly is speaking of is in the Bettlyglen by Maywood. Not the Bettyglen (The village, the Court, etc). This should provide an eircom solution to this Bettyglen, but no choice of provider. I'm still working on a solution around UPC. if you wish to help us can you please email me at

getUPCtoMAB
    at
    icloud
    dot
    com

It is not correct to say there would be no choice of provider. Sky, Vodafone and possibly other broadband providers use the Eircom cables to offer their services.
    Once faster fibre broadband is available from Eircom, these other providers too will be able to offer their own versions of fast fibre broadband.

This morning I saw a guy working away on the cabinet, looked as though it was being commissioned.

There's actually two VDSL cabinets in place now. You may have seen them installing the second which was just put in yesterday. One is beside the old two boxes and one is on the footpath by the wall.

Ernest wrote: »
    It is not correct to say there would be no choice of provider. Sky, Vodafone and possibly other broadband providers use the Eircom cables to offer their services.
    Once faster fibre broadband is available from Eircom, these other providers too will be able to offer their own versions of fast fibre broadband.

Hi Ernest, You are right that the customer will be able to choose who provides broadband services to them, but all these services, as you outlined, will come through the same 40ish year old copper cable. Currently high speed broadband is only available from eircom through the eircom line. You can receive slow speed (less than 8Mb) service from others via the eircom line but we all know how bad that service is. I'm looking at the opportunity of having a new cable run that is designed for modern broadband speeds and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi Ernest, You are right that the customer will be able to choose who provides broadband services to them, but all these services, as you outlined, will come through the same 40ish year old copper cable. Currently high speed broadband is only available from eircom through the eircom line. You can receive slow speed (less than 8Mb) service from others via the eircom line but we all know how bad that service is. I'm looking at the opportunity of having a new cable run that is designed for modern broadband speeds and services.

You don't quite understand fibre(VDSL), its only from the cabinet to the house, sometimes as little as 20m cabling, and easily replaceable compared to the large trunks mentioned at the start of the thread. As long as you're close to a cab you won't have problems, and if you do they'll be fixable.

As a side note, eircom actually used good cabling in the past for the most part, so just because its old doesn't mean its not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Has anyone managed to get fibre with Eircom yet?

Or if not whats the download speed on Eircom like at the moment.

• Advertisement

JP Mulvano wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get fibre with Eircom yet?

Or if not whats the download speed on Eircom like at the moment.

No fibre available yet I'm afraid. Best speed I'm getting is 4mbs down and just over 1 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Just spoke to a guy in Eircom and it looks like the Bettyglen/Maywood cabinets will finally be going live on September 17. At last!

Just spoke to a guy in Eircom and it looks like the Bettyglen/Maywood cabinets will finally be going live on September 17. At last!

Hmmm.....I believe it when I see it! But good Lord, if it's true I can't wait....3mb is killing me!!!

a4j_ie wrote: »
    Hmmm.....I believe it when I see it!

Same here, last I heard it wouldn't be available until November. If you were talking to the lads on the phone, sure they told me it was available to order in June of last year :pac:

Hi guys,

Anybody know how you can find out which cabinet you're connected to? There a cabinet on watermill road (closer to me than maywood) but not sure which one I'm connected to.

a4j_ie wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Anybody know how you can find out which cabinet you're connected to? There a cabinet on watermill road (closer to me than maywood) but not sure which one I'm connected to.

If you're in the Howth Road Bettyglen, it'll be the Maywood road one. If you're in the Watermill side, you'll be on that one.

If you're in the Howth Road Bettyglen, it'll be the Maywood road one. If you're in the Watermill side, you'll be on that one.

Balls...I'm in watermill. No sign of that cabinet being upgraded!! I give up...

It does say the 17th on the map now alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

I got a letter to say that the MAB TVA were asking members if they would be interested in asking UPC to cable the area. That would obviously also bring UPCs broadband to the Maywood, Avondale, Bettyglen area.

Anyone else get this? I'm not a member or user of the MAB TVA service but maybe that was part of the reason why UPC only cabled one side of the Howth Rd.

• Advertisement

Hi Chris, I along with others have approached the MABTVA committee and UPC to mediate a solution. That letter was drafted by us and approved by MABTVA to distribute. We have distributed to the Howth road side yesterday and will drop into the 200ish houses off Watermill road (Bettyglen the village etc) later tonight.

We need to understand the willingness of house owners to have a UPC cable accross their eaves. We will need some volunteers to call door to door just asking the question looking for a yes, no or rented. This then will be brought to UPC for them to evaluate the costs supplying UPC to the neighborhood. The more 'Nos' and the location of the No impact on the cost of the engineering needed. The main message is that allowing the cable does not need that you need to take the service.

If you would like to help us call to houses please contact one of the people on the list as the more we have the faster we can get answers, and as a result the faster we can get UPC in as an option for the neighborhood.

Advertisement