Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents at Athlone asylum seekers centre refusing to eat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

walshb wrote: »
    Sounds like a shrewd business model to me. Maybe those people in the center should do a pros and cons list for staying in the asylum process or returning to their home country. I bet staying put probably wins out.

Unfortunately thats exactly the governments plan. If they make life as difficult as possible for asylum seekers they will become someone elses problem. Of course ireland is not alone in seeking to make life unpleasant for asylum seekers.

Just to be clear, the problem isnt the food and shelter being inadequate, its he fact that they can be stuck there for years while thr system slowly processes their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nodin wrote: »
    A remarkably ignorant post. They are entitled to decent standards by international law. This "head back home" nonsense wouldn't be acceptable for hospital patients, children in care or any other group in institutional care.

I take it that you have some actual proof that they are not receiving these international decent standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Gatling wrote: »
    Apparently this particular centre has several issues brought up by residents over the last 12-18 months .
    The last time it on involved supplying fruit juices .
    Now there not on hunger strike there refusing food from the center itself and have apparently brought in food supplies from outside the center for themselfs

Some are claiming the centre wanted to host a bbq and invite people to see the centre which in turn annoyed the residents

People don't protest for no reason, there is two sides to this story I would wager.
    I wonder is there a bit of profiteering by supplying the residents with sub standard food, while claiming for good quality food. It wouldn't be beyond some Irish people, that's for sure.

Of course ireland is not alone in seeking to make life unpleasant for asylum seekers

Society is trying to tell us something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Maybe the same way it did for young women in laundries or young children in care.......

• Advertisement

EunanMac wrote: »
    People don't protest for no reason, there is two sides to this story I would wager.

Yes, and it seems that we're only getting one side. The side that have been taken in, welcomed in and given shelter and food by a helping nation. A nation trying to ease the pain and suffering that these people claim they are fleeing. I am sure many are fleeing for very valid reasons.

Maybe the same way it did for young women in laundries or young children in care.......

A "poor standard" of food was the least of their worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder is there a bit of profiteering by supply the residents with sub standard food, while claiming for good quality food. It wouldn't be beyond some Irish people, that's for sure.

This is true , but one of the issues is on length of time to process and get either a your granted full asylum or your not is part self inflected a good few have be denied aslyum but go through multiple protracted legal actions ,

But now we have in the media give them access and full grants for 3 level education and within days we have food refusals .

If we made it easier and shorter to get a decision on aslyum we would still have issues because many won't like the decisions made .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Society has always been trying to tell us that we hate minorities and thr poor downtrodden masses. Rightly to be great is to rise above societys basest demands and to do what is decent in my opinion. The whole UN refugee system arose out of serious atrocities, and it is important that we recognise uts abiloty to lessen the impact of current and future outlashes of society

This is true , but one of the issues is on length of time to process and get either a your granted full asylum or your not is part self inflected a good few have be denied aslyum but go through multiple protracted legal actions ,

But now we have in the media give them access and full grants for 3 level education and within days we have food refusals .

If we made it easier and shorter to get a decision on aslyum we would still have issues because many won't like the decisions made .

What is the delay for the decisions ? A primary principle of justice, is that justice delayed is justice denied.

• Advertisement

What is the delay for the decisions ? Justice delayed is justice denied.

I've no idea been honest we've 560,000 non nationals residing here working ,studying and so on
    Surely it shouldn't take 6-10 years to tell a person sorry your application for full aslyum had denied or congratulations you have been granted full asylum here's you passport .

The legal fees and cost of provisions are huge for so few people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Posts like this depress the living crap out of me, because I would imagine they have a great deal of currency in the wider population. It would be comforting to think they were the views of only a tiny minority, but I sadly doubt it.

Absolutely oscarBravo,not just a great deal of currency,but I venture to suggest the content IS effectively the currency of choice for the majority.

Whether you can take this to indicate that the "Irish" are somehow all,evil slavering oppressors of every prospective refugee who is landed,or perhaps,just perhaps have used their own senses and/or experiences to inform their own opinion,is open to debate.

The Media driven line,peddled here and elsewhere,centres upon the Irish State failing in it's duties to a physically great range of persons seeking entry to Ireland.

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth is directed at how crass and unfeeling Ireland,and those Irish who are'nt hugely enamoured with any expansion of our current systems have become.

Very little merit is ever given to the Irish System when it is proven to work,with usually in those cases,cries of "make an exception","this person is different","what about our emigrants" etc etc...much in evidence.

It appears that Ireland,must accept,at face value and without challenge,whatever reason is given at first contact.

Then,usually,when such stories are proven (at the Irish State's expense) to be without foundation,the same State is harrangued if it dares attempt to expel the perpetrators.

The focus is usually required to be on the Individual,with rarely a nod in the direction of the large,well-developed and lucrative Business model which operates in and around the economic migrant.

Todays example has great potential to develop into a nice bunch of twigs with which to lash ourselves.....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/phenomenal-asylum-seeker-student-who-achieved-615-points-in-her-leaving-cert-faces-15000-bill-30564630.html

So,perhaps it is all down to the two native camps being,The Depressed on one side,and The Oppressed on the other...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

The legal fees and cost of provisions are huge for so few people

Hmmm, in other words a nice little earner for the usual suspects in Ireland if the cases take as long as possible, that's starting to make sense now.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Absolutely oscarBravo,not just a great deal of currency,but I venture to suggest the content IS effectively the currency of choice for the majority.

I hope not, but if it's true, then I'm deeply ashamed to be Irish.

Absolutely (.............)on the other...?

Could please get back to me on this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92064256&postcount=15

Hmmm, in other words a nice little earner for the usual suspects in Ireland if the cases take as long as possible, that's starting to make sense now.

60 million + per annum for direct provision centre's

Food ,cloithing for 8000 people

Medical care

Then anoither 6+ million pa on legal fees

Thats pretty costly in current climates

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Seems they could be. I'll wait for more details before slating the Irish who are paying for these people to reside here, sparing them pain and suffering in their home countries.

Yup

The Irish who are paying for it, but are probably paying xxx amount for xxx service but the company are only giving x service, a great business model according to you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Nit to be pedantic but it's a lot more than 6 million, when you consider that the DJE provides legal services to the Determining Bodies (ORAC and the Refugee Appeals Tribunal) free of charge, and also when you factor in the cost of the Asylum list in the High Court, which is ultimately borne by the Exchequer and by deserving, delayed litigants.

€6 million is the cost of providing legal services to one stakeholder alone. The true figure is undoubtedly far greater.

And it is unheard of for the State to recover costs, even in the most frivolous of cases.

conorh91 wrote: »
    Nit to be pedantic but it's a lot more than 6 million, when you consider that the DJE provides legal services to the Determining Bodies (ORAC and the Refugee Appeals Tribunal) free of charge, and also when you factor in the cost of the Asylum list in the High Court, which is ultimately borne by the Exchequer and by deserving, delayed litigants.

€6 million is the cost of providing legal services to one stakeholder alone. The true figure is undoubtedly far greater.

I can only go with whats published in the public domain i cant post a link getting error note ,
    I'll link to some pdf that goes in to details of the costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I can only go with whats published in the public domain i cant post a link getting error note ,
    I'll link to some pdf that goes in to details of the costs
    I'm not disputing the veracity of the €6 million figure. I assume it's the legal aid bill.

My point is that the legal aid bill is just one component in the total cost of legal services within the Protection system.

conorh91 wrote: »
    I'm not disputing the veracity of the €6 million figure. I assume it's the legal aid bill.

My point is that the legal aid bill is just one component in the total cost of legal services within the Protection system.

Yeah here a pdf linked in another thread its a long read page 91

Legal aid cost for 2012 was slightly under 6 million ,

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/650f3eec0dfb990fca25692100069854/32926ff916f2bdaf80257c780038720e/$FILE/LAB%20Annual%20Report%2020.12.13.pdf

60 million + per annum for direct provision centre's

Food ,cloithing for 8000 people

Medical care

Thats pretty costly in current climates

Yep, I can see now the usual suspects benefit by making sure the cases take as long as possible.

Phew...busy night.....As I prefaced the post,the article is skewed towards the religiousy end of the scale,but does have relevance to Punisher5112's post...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92061937&postcount=9
    They will never integrate with the Irish and sure the way this island is going there is nearly nothing irish left about it.

Dr Selim's views appear to contradict Punisher5112's statement above,and the Prof seems very confident of his ground...
    More generally,and where Muslim parents in particular are concerned, Dr Selim points out that “when it comes to shaking hands with members of the opposite sex, most Muslims are reluctant and many of them may refuse. This behaviour does not imply a lack of respect or that the other person is not clean.”

For some Muslims to do so would be “a clear breach Muslim teaching” or “is inconsistent with their culture.” Similarly, “Muslims do not believe in eye contact between members of the opposite sex.” This was “significant for teachers when dealing with Muslim parents.”

Also, and “from a Muslim perspective, members of the same sex can stand very close to each other” but members of the opposite sex are to be kept “at arm’s length. Apart from facial features, the entire body is still. Body language, in this case, is limited to facial features.” This too was “significant when dealing with Muslim parents,” he said.

Integtation..assimilation...has this issue relevance to Athlone ?

What's your opinion ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Phew...busy night(...........)opinion ?

It has zero relevance, save scaremongering about asylum via "muslims".

** just realised my posts about the number of Asylum seekers i mistakenly posted that there 8000 asylum seekers in direct provision here the actual numbers is just over 4000**

The figures in the article linked below seem pretty high providing direct provision for just over 4000 people

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/asylum-centre-firms-enjoy-multi-million-euro-state-payout-261168.html

It has zero relevance, save scaremongering about asylum via "muslims".

Zero relevance for your good self perhaps,others may just find room to read and make their own judgements...or does this cause you discomfort ?

Referencing published Media reportage,and joining in debate upon those surely cannot be described as "Scaremongering" can it ...?

AlekSmart wrote:
    It appears that Ireland,must accept,at face value and without challenge,whatever reason is given at first contact.

Then,usually,when such stories are proven (at the Irish State's expense) to be without foundation,the same State is harrangued if it dares attempt to expel the perpetrators.

Who exactly insists on acceptance without question or derides the State for carrying out a valid assessment? Certainly not the majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Where do you plan on housing them?

They will never integrate with the Irish and sure the way this island is going there is nearly nothing irish left about it.

Rents are crazy even to the point ordinary hard workers can no longer afford it and have to move out of Dublin and other towns so as to keep a roof over their heads.

That seems a huge blanket statement given the history of asylum seekers in Ireland which goes back to Jewish people arriving in Ireland in the 19th century. They seemed to integrate well, didn't stop a Catholic priest organising a pogrom in 1904!

There also seems to be a history of refugees going on hunger strike, as far back as the Hungarians fleeing from the failed revolution in 1956. We've also accepted Chilean, Vietnamese, Bosnian and Kosovan refugees at different times for obvious reasons, and I've yet to see any problems with integration there.
    Zero relevance for your good self perhaps,others may just find room to read and make their own judgements...or does this cause you discomfort ?

Referencing published Media reportage,and joining in debate upon those surely cannot be described as "Scaremongering" can it ...?

Mod: I've no problem with the article as long as it stays on topic, the asylum system, which is about far more than Muslims in Ireland.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement