Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada .... Stay or go ?

Options
  • 12-08-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Get comfortable, this is a bit of a rant...

I’m 32, married and have two great kids.
    We bought our home at the peak of the boom and it’s now worth less than half, I am a fully qualified carpenter but had to return to college and am now employed in the IT sector in a junior position ( having to start at the bottom again )
    My wife is employed in the public sector on a part-time bases and now faces redundancy in September.

Basically, we're not living.....we’re surviving. The quality of life in northwest Ireland for families in our situation is fairly poor.

So we're considering a move to Canada.
    Does anyone have any advice where to start look into this or have experience in the move.
    I have almost 10 years experience in Construction and also 1 and 1/2 as a junior software engineer.
    My wife's background is in child care but most recently over 6 years as a special needs assistant.
    Kids are 9yrs and 2yrs old.
    Big questions where is the best place to live for a young family , good schools and work opportunities !
    How much do you need in the bank, where is the best place to start with the visa / work application.
    What's the cost of living like ?

Thanks all.
    Apologies if this is the wrong form and if so could I be pointed to the correct one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Read the IEC sticky at the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

A neighbour of mine moved to Canada a few years back. Left what seemed a good job here in the chemical industry. Canada did'nt work out for him, could'nt get work, now back in Ireland for the last 4-5 years and is basicly still out of work, chemical industry had moved on from when he last worked in and so had most of his contacts. So it's a toughfie, if you can put a roof over your head and food on the table I'd stay, would'nt dream of leaving unless you had work arranged before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mickell

cheers roundymac, was your mate on his own or did he bring family aswell.

If we're just me, I'd be tempted, but the fact that we'd have zero support going over with two kids, is a big gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Do it.

I'm trying to convince the missus the go. Dont have a family or mortgage so we are in a better position

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

mickell wrote: »

If we're just me, I'd be tempted, but the fact that we'd have zero support going over with two kids, is a big gamble.

If yo go the iec wh visa route,you both need to get one for you wife to work to plus canada isnt cheap . also it depends what role your looking for do you wanna stay in it or go back into construction . im in IT too and ive been looking chances are and your not going to get into a role to start with any more then the position your already have here with not a great about of time within the role . another thing is esp going on a visa like the iec route theres no guarantee that you get pr beiter .so i mean really you have to weight it out are you willing to risk it and hope you do well . you could go be there for 2 years with it costing you allot and then having to come back with nothing . i mean im dont wanna put a downer and going by all means
    . But theres allot more to consider when theres kids esp you set up costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Same as you, wife and 1 kid. Could'nt get sponsered or something like that. He used to drive a beamer before he went, he now drives a starlet. Shame, if it had worked out for him he would be doing very well IMO.

Ya, you see I would always look at the "what if's", and wife's health was a very doggy for ages , if she was to hit a rough patch when we went there, we would be screwed... there would be no family to call on and whatever about being able to afford childminding , it takes time to find someone you trust...

I think I'd feel more comfortable going if I had more confidence and experience in my current role as a developer..... it would be too easy to go back to construction and that would mean a complete waste of the last number of years !!.... plus construction will boom and bust again, I have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Have you looked at working in Dublin ?

No this is gonna sound daft, but living in Dublin would not appeal to me at all.
    I am of the mind set if your going to Dublin ya might as well go to Canada.

Commuting would not be a option and rent price would be out of our budget.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it would be a runner..

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

if you have 20K saved up

have employment lined up

accomadation sorted

budget for 6+ months

then id go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Rent ans salaries usually are toe to toe where ever y ou go. Pay would be better in Dublin than west coast. Anyhow id be appyling for jobs un Canada now to see how it goes reponse wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Rent ans salaries usually are toe to toe where ever y ou go. Pay would be better in Dublin than west coast. Anyhow id be appyling for jobs un Canada now to see how it goes reponse wise.

with no visa chances of getting a company to take him on with the little experience with in IT he has is pretty slim to none , alot wont respond to you outside the country with out a Canadian number or address etc .not saying its not possible just highly unlikely . and honestly depending were but the majority a places would be be as expensive as living in dublin too . i think commuting to dublin to work as handlemaster says if you were to get a better postion here makes more sense then going to canada in your position.

Thanks for your input goingitalone and everyone so far.
    It's just so easy to get frustrated with everything in Ireland right now.
    I know there is talk of a recovery but it will be years before the northwest see's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Mate of mine is a carpenter who just moved to Alberta. Pulls in 1400 euro a week after tax now compared to unemployed the last few years here. He left his family here for a couple of months then brought them over when he saved a few quid. He thought he would need longer but apparently he has 3 years of work on this job alone. Hes 27 year old with Kids like yourself. Was made unemployed in Ireland the day he qualified and struggled since. Odd jobs here and there.

Do it. Your just wasting your skills and life here.

Knowing your leading your kids into the same life and not doing something about it is near child abuse in my opinion. Thats the thought that has me saving to move ASAP. Ill be there in 12 months and nothing is gonna stop me. Imagine 10 years down the line when your child goes through this **** and your seeing people who in Facebook or whatever who did move having a seriously good life.

Not being funny but asking a group of Irish people for advice is just gonna result in a load of negative answers.

Im in the same boat as yourself. Kids, Qualification that should be pulling in good money and getting no younger. Saving 75% of my wages and will be delighted to get that plane ticket.

10 years as a carpenter and IT experience you should EASILY find work there. Both skills are in high demand there but youll earn a ton in Carpentry.

You sound like a fella thats as p*ssed off as me with way things have gone and your right we're doomed to make the same mistakes again in another 10 years and completely screw another generation !

Funny how the people throwing in the negative posts all live in ireland. 10 minutes with someone who made the move and you wouldnt even dream about staying.

Im telling you the point of view from someone who made the move. He was back last week and showed me his payslip. 1400Euro after tax for 55 hours work in the week. 700Euro tax. Works with 50 other Irish tradesmen.

Got setup, Saved 9 Grand and bought plenty of stuff for the kids and the missus all in a few months. Steady, really high paid work. Excellent schools, roads and free healthcare from what i understand. Not a mention of penny pinching bull**** you hear here constantly.

Hes been to US and Australia working and he says that Canada is miles ahead for Irish people. US isnt great for jobs and Oz is a racist too hot ****hole.

If you have absolutely any possibility of getting there do. Dont listen to the bull****. Just do it.

Wow €1400 take home !! thats mad . Did he have job lined up before he left ? Or did he wing it ? You make a great argument , but when the kids are involved I'm not keen on gambling!

Just had about 3k and went. Picked up work straight away. Im sure theres plenty of forums if you need to make contacts. People dont seem to positive here so maybe go to a different one.

leave the kids and wife here and just go over with a few grand. get work then bring them over. A couple of months for the rest of your life.

Funny how you think its a gamble bringing the kids to a country where your skills and experience can earn you a serious amount of cash quickly and provide your whole family with an amazing life, rather than being a gamble raising them in a hole like Ireland where your skills are worth the same as a bum on the dole who never worked. :D

No idea why you think that way.

At the end of the day you can be back here in a few hours if anything happens. Its not Mars your going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Great Money.....$50+/hr.....Trade.....Alberta.....
    Fort McMurray perhaps?

You may want to look into what its actually like to live there before deciding anything.

Alright, alright, if I didn't know better I'd think I was replying to my wife, I hear ya . Thanks for your verbal kick up the arse !

• Advertisement

No problem. If you want a physical kick up the arse aswell ill meet you at Dublin Airport. lol

Good man and best of luck to ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Canada is a lovely country and has plenty of work in construction and IT, I have family there and I will be moving next year there once I get a visa and finish my course. It has better healthcare and definitely a better social life then the north west at least (I'm from Donegal I know what its like) I live in Galway and I lived in Dublin for five years but Galway was better for everything (for me anyway). I'd go for it kids adjust and make friends easy and would enjoy Canada as well and if you are going to do it do it before secondary school because they can be more difficult then (my friends family moved in secondary school and she was a torment to her parents for months and refused to give Florida a go she regrets doing their heads in so much now as she loves it there).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

There is a reason some of those jobs pay so much. You will be away for weeks at a time working and sleeping in camps with the other workers. There is no social life except for maybe a few bars. A lot of the workers end up gambling to pass the time and lose a lot of the money they earn anyway.

It's grand doing those type of jobs if you are on your own but with a family I would say it's a non starter. Maybe move over yourself op for a while and earn the cash and then after a few months move the family over. It will be a lot tougher than most people will tell you.

Ideally if I was told, that after I worked my 40 - 50 hr week not only will I pay all my bills and have disposal income but could also save so money with the long term plan being to return home (maybe).... then I'd nearly be sold.

I am not afraid of hard work and lets face it, if the cost of not seeing the kids means I provide a better life for them, then it's worth it, rather than working for peanuts here and not getting to see them anyway!!

Alberta, Edmonton, seems to keep coming up when I search, Irish, work, family.
    Anyone got any idea what kinda of rent you'd be looking at for 4 bed house in good community ? (incredibly open question but you get the idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Ideally if I was told, that after I worked my 40 - 50 hr week not only will I pay all my bills and have disposal income but could also save so money with the long term plan being to return home (maybe).... then I'd nearly be sold.

I am not afraid of hard work and lets face it, if the cost of not seeing the kids means I provide a better life for them, then it's worth it, rather than working for peanuts here and not getting to see them anyway!!

Alberta, Edmonton, seems to keep coming up when I search, Irish, work, family.
    Anyone got any idea what kinda of rent you'd be looking at for 4 bed house in good community ? (incredibly open question but you get the idea)

Alberta would be the best place to go for the hard work - good pay jobs.

When you are working you will be given either work digs to stay in while at camp or an allowance to stay in local hotels and b&b's

As for the cost of housing I recommend checking out craigslist and finding suitable accommodation that won't be hours drive from work and is close to a school for the kids (not going to be easy)

The norm in canada is to rent unfurnished houses as well so you need to make sure you are ready to buy your own furniture or find one of the few furnished places.

Best of luck and I think you are doing the right thing even if it means a little time away from the family!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Hey mickell I was checking out housing last night for myself in Canada. The people on the Canadian forums said check out kijii for houses but i found padmapper to be a really good one for quick looks at loads of different places. Obviously you'd need to call and view the house. Another thing I realised though I was forewarned about it was that many places for rent come unfurnished so you've got that cost on top of everything else. But I'd be on the encouraging side for going.. seems like a great opportunity and the kids will love some adventure, even if you are back here in a year or two. Don't leave yourself open to regret the chance you didn't take while things aren't so great here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Harryeve

I'm in Calgary at the moment loads of work in construction I'm a plumber and I'm on high rate of pay you will not make €1400 a week here after tax unless u work crazy hours and pretty much have no life. It's very exspenive here as well so even though your wages might look good when u compare it to back home it doesn't be long going over here. The lads in the oil fields are making good money because no one wants to go up there because it's a horrible life working away in Canada. There's a lot of bull about what people are making over here. Also be warned you could be without work for long periods during the winter in a lot of trades carpenters, brickies, plasterers will have little or no work when it gets into the cold weather.

• Advertisement

Hi Harryeve, how is going for you over there , are you long in Calgary? thanks for your post, do you mind me asking , works a regular days work like ? start time , finish-time etc ..... Is it just yourself or family ? I'd imagine if I did jump, my wage would have to support the family for first 6 months till wife and youngest gets sorted for childcare etc, is that do-able , a carpenters wage to pay for house rent, all bills and feed family.
    I do have a degree in Construction Management and spend a few years as a self-employed carpenter ..... would I be considered for a type of assistant site manager role .... or is that fairly unlikely without the experience ?
    I think your the first trades man to post on this, so I'd appreciate all info you can provide

Advertisement