Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook to protect users from the Onion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

AHAHAHA hilarious! The Onion and the Waterford Whisperer are fcuking priceless, why would you want them blocked for? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I see the Onion's Ninja have infiltrated the Independent. Good, good, everything proceeds apace. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

AHAHAHA hilarious! The Onion and the Waterford Whisperer are fcuking priceless, why would you want them blocked for? :confused:

Because, sadly there are too many out there who believe them. We need to protect the thickest in society from themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

To help prevent idiots from making fools of themselves.

Owryan wrote: »
    ...We need to protect the thickest in society from themselves
    Umm, why? Thick people are funny!
    KungPao wrote: »
    To help prevent idiots from making fools of themselves.
    There's tilting at windmills. That's what idiots do! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

jimgoose wrote: »
    Umm, why? Thick people are funny!

There's tilting at windmills. That's what idiots do! :pac:
    Facebook don't want users to make a show of themselves...then get slagged mercilessly, then stop using Facebook. Lost revenue and possible bad press if they are so upset they do something bad. It's a mad world.

KungPao wrote: »
    Facebook don't want users to make a show of themselves...then get slagged mercilessly, then stop using Facebook. Lost revenue and possible bad press if they are so upset they do something bad. It's a mad world.

Ah, I see - Zuckerburg is after a sort of giant, on-line widlife preserve for idiots. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Facebook ? More like Arsebook . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They could open a sub section for people that doesn't get Onion/Whisperer stuff.

http://potato.facebook.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

biko wrote: »
    They could open a sub section for people that doesn't get Onion/Whisperer stuff.

http://potato.facebook.com

In fairness, when my bf first sent me one of those articles, can't remember who wrote it, I did fall for it. It was about John Gilligan posting himself out of prison. I was hook, line and sinker until the sentence:

'He covered himself in 55cent stamps.'

I'm a bit of a dope at the best of times, may as well embrace it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

An actual retard filter, I never thought I'd see the day.

Clankatron wrote: »
    An actual retard filter, I never thought I'd see the day.

Special needs has nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

In fairness, when my bf first sent me one of those articles, can't remember who wrote it, I did fall for it. It was about John Gilligan posting himself out of prison. I was hook, line and sinker until the sentence:

'He covered himself in 55cent stamps.'

I'm a bit of a dope at the best of times, may as well embrace it. :pac:

There was the one about Korea claiming to land on the sun, you could be forgiven for believing that

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Looking forward to seeing WW take the piss out of this

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Anything to protect us from Facebook? Despise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

They could add a "painfully unfunny shíte" tag on Waterford whisper news articles.

They could add a "painfully unfunny shíte" tag on Waterford whisper news articles.

If only they could find a way of filtering it, and Arsebook along with the Onion.
    Arsebook complaining about the Onion is a bit like the kettle complaining about how black the pot is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Presumably links to the Daily Mail will be prepended with a [Bullsh*t] tag too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

'Murica

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Some of the articles could be written better but some of the headlines are absolutely hilarious.

If you don't find anything funny about the headline "Waterford Lad Receives Five E’s And Several Class A’s During Leaving Cert Results" then you've got a **** sense of humour.

• Advertisement

Some of the articles could be written better but some of the headlines are absolutely hilarious.

If you don't find anything funny about the headline "Waterford Lad Receives Five E’s And Several Class A’s During Leaving Cert Results" then you've got a **** sense of humour.

I don't think my sense of humour is shít. I think its the joke that's shít. There's more to satire than just writing bullshít.

There's more to satire than just writing bullshít.

Can you look up the definition of satire yourself or do we have to hyperlink it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Peanut wrote: »
    Anything to protect us from Facebook? Despise it.

Sadly there's nothing on Facebook that protects you from Facebook no.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Can you look up the definition of satire yourself or do we have to hyperlink it for you?

Hyper link it and quote it there if you wouldn't mind. Show everyone where it says "satire is simply writing unfunny bullshít bereft of wit or point".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's lots of stuff on Waterford Whispers that's just silly stuff but there are lots of articles that have satirical points behind them too.

Same is true for the Onion. Although the Onion has a much higher hit rate - probably because they have a bigger writing team and more money to pay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Hyper link it and quote it there if you wouldn't mind. Show everyone where it says "satire is simply writing unfunny bullshít bereft of wit or point".
    Satire: The use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues:
    So to take the example I'd listed above, which is an ongoing joke about a small time-drug dealer, poly-drug user and character of moral turpitude: the humour lies in the play on words regarding the grading system for the leaving cert (the results for which were released on the day the article was submitted), the classification of illegal drugs according to Irish law, and "E," a slang term for MDMA sold in pill form. Check 1.

This is used to expose the vice and stupidity of the character in question, namely his distribution and excessive use of various illegal drugs. Check 2.

So you see, this article clearly fits the OED definition of satire, even if you don't find it funny.

You're welcome.

^^^ This guy ^^^
    Show everyone where it says "satire is simply writing unfunny bullshít bereft of wit or point".

It being unfunny, unwitty or pointless has no bearing on if it is satirical or not.

So to take the example I'd listed above, which is an ongoing joke about a small time-drug dealer, poly-drug user and character of moral turpitude: the humour lies in the play on words regarding the grading system for the leaving cert (the results for which were released on the day the article was submitted), the classification of illegal drugs according to Irish law, and "E," a slang term for MDMA sold in pill form. Check 1.

This is used to expose the vice and stupidity of the character in question, namely his distribution and excessive use of various illegal drugs. Check 2.

So you see, this article clearly fits the OED definition of satire, even if you don't find it funny.

You're welcome.

Satire is used for a purpose. When its witless, pointless and unfunny then I say there's more to satire than simply writing bullshít. Just as there's more to being funny than telling jokes.

But I'm happy to stand corrected and admit that although shíte of the highest order it does bear some resemblance to what could loosely be defined as satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What about the "Share this pic and cancer will be cured" bullshit?

Will they be added to the spastic filter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jay Fullmer, 38, last month became the first American to get to grips with the concept of irony.

"It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he like, pulled a face and said, "Great weather eh?" and I thought - "Wait a minute, no way is it great weather".

Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate.

Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use irony himself in future.

"I'm, like, using it all the time" he said.

"Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them and I said 'Hey, great weather!'"

Advertisement