Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford being left behind in tourism promotion?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

The promotion of Wexford & the S.E region as a tourist destination has come in for scathing criticism.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/south-east-tourism-recession-struggle-bounce-back-1570703-Jul2014/

This is pretty true,these days you can't switch on a national radio station without being bombarded with ads,promotions and competitions revolving around The West & The Wild Atlantic Way.I've nothing against a region getting a push but as usual this neck of the woods gets left behind.How many visitors arrive off the ferry & head immediately West,ignoring the many attractions around this region?

We've practically zero industry here anymore and now tourism is suffering,they will be cutting us adrift soon at this rate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How can you say that? At least in Enniscorthy we have this wonderful site: http://www.enniscorthytourism.com/ :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    The promotion of Wexford & the S.E region as a tourist destination has come in for scathing criticism.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/south-east-tourism-recession-struggle-bounce-back-1570703-Jul2014/

This is pretty true,these days you can't switch on a national radio station without being bombarded with ads,promotions and competitions revolving around The West & The Wild Atlantic Way.I've nothing against a region getting a push but as usual this neck of the woods gets left behind.How many visitors arrive off the ferry & head immediately West,ignoring the many attractions around this region?

We've practically zero industry here anymore and now tourism is suffering,they will be cutting us adrift soon at this rate.

I was down at the Burren and Cliffs of Moher last weekend, The area was full of English reg, NL reg, German reg and France reg cars. Buses carrying American tourists and a load of rental cars from Dublin. Last Sunday night we were in a restaurant in Lahinch and i overheard some yanks talking about where they have visited or where they would like to visit and lo and behold 1 guy mentions the area where the novel/movie Brooklyn was filmed another guy says that he was in that area a few years ago and there is nothing there worth visiting apart from a an old ruins on top of a hill and a castle that was shut to visitors. They were heading to Cashel and kilkenny the next day and then back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Spent a week in bunclody a few weeks back....was a very good base. Found Wexford a great spot with the kids....plenty to do with the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Wexford has beautiful beaches but little else (IMO) of spectacular natural interest compared to other areas. To compensate for that, we should invest in events and facilities to attract tourists

oldyouth wrote: »
    Wexford has beautiful beaches but little else (IMO) of spectacular natural interest compared to other areas. To compensate for that, we should invest in events and facilities to attract tourists

Wexford has 1 of the most historic sites in Ireland's history " Vinegar Hill "
    It also has other places like the Hook peninsula with Loftus hall, Tintern Abbey and the Lighthouse.

Along with Vinegar hill Enniscorthy has 1798 center and Enniscorthy castle. Enniscorthy and its shop keepers have an opportunity now since Brooklyn was filmed to change the center of the town and the shop fronts to attract the Americans. But I fear that wont happen.

New Ross has the Famine ship, Kennedy park, and places around it like Dunbrody abbey.

The Heritage park in Wexford, Co Wexfords links to John Barry "Father of the American Navy" Born 1745. Our lady's island

After Saving Private Ryan was filmed at Curracloe all that was done to attract the tourists was a Higgins boat was left to rot in a field and the local pub changed its name to Omaha beach

The majority of these European reg cars that were in Co Clare last weekend had to depart the ferry in Rosslare.

The county has lots to offer Tourists who get off the ferry in Rosslare or arrive at Dublin airport.
    But IMO our Elected TD's are not doing enough to promote the county.

• Advertisement

Not forgetting Johnstown Castle - will it ever be opened to the public.

Navarre, I accept there are some nice places, but they are not exceptional enough to attract sufficient visitors and this is borne out by the low numbers. It is not just because the message isn't getting across. Don't get me wrong, I think the county is beautiful, but let's give the people more to do when they arrive.

Curracloe Beach is magnificent, but I don't think the fact that a film was made there nearly 20 years ago is any big deal, neither is the fact that Brooklyn was filmed there this year. Now as for transforming Enniscorthy shopfronts to reflect a previous era, that is worth considering, provided everyone gets on board with it

It's only my opinion on this

oldyouth wrote: »
    Navarre, I accept there are some nice places, but they are not exceptional enough to attract sufficient visitors and this is borne out by the low numbers. It is not just because the message isn't getting across. Don't get me wrong, I think the county is beautiful, but let's give the people more to do when they arrive.

Curracloe Beach is magnificent, but I don't think the fact that a film was made there nearly 20 years ago is any big deal, neither is the fact that Brooklyn was filmed there this year. Now as for transforming Enniscorthy shopfronts to reflect a previous era, that is worth considering, provided everyone gets on board with it

It's only my opinion on this

20 years ago curracloe and the county of wexford could have benefited from the success of the movie. There are enough scenic and historical sites in Co Wexford to attract tourism but i simply feel that its not been promoted enough. There has to be some sort of wexford blood in the millions of Americans living in the USA.

Last year just the week after Christmas my wife was in Enniscorthy when she was stopped by an American couple who were staying in Wexford town and they got a bus to Enniscorthy to visit the Castle. They asked her could she recommend to them where would be a nice place to visit in Enniscorthy as the Castle was closed the 98 center was closed. My wife drove them to vinegar hill and let them walk around the top of it. When they came back to the car they asked was there a visitors center or gift shop close by. NO

Has anyone gone around Enniscorthy shops or say the Castle or the 98 center looking for a nice plaque or image of Vinegar hill or the Town.
    Let me tell you that there aren't any.

I really feel that the county is been left behind when visitors depart the ferry.

We are kind of in agreement then that there is little by way of back up services to attract the visitors to Wexford such as the interpretation centres, gift shops etc.

Personally, I think the way forward is theme parks, outdoor adventure centres, aqua centres, music festivals (not your strawberry/dunbody fair with Crystal bloody Swing), sailing competitions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's pretty depressing watching tourists wander around aimlessly in Enniscorthy,the attractions we have are poorly marketed.Is there walking tours of the town anymore?

Regarding Curracloe,didn't the locals insist that after filming of Saving Private Ryan finished that things were to return to normal and the area was not to become a 'mecca' for film tourists?

You can't throw a stone in the West for hitting an "attraction",every little thing is marketed and to quote Field Of Dreams - "if you build it,they will come".

At least we might see some progress as Nevilles are planning to build a new hotel and top class links course at Curracloe to utilise a very underused resource.There's other parts of the country that would give the Lotto for our beaches yet we don't market them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

All the scenery is west of the Shannon,otherwise it's much if a muchness really.How many know or care about 1798 or come to Ireland for the beaches?
    They could stick a bit of a sign on the Castle though,I'm sure a lot of people are left guessing or if they're even supposed to go in.

kneemos wrote: »
    All the scenery is west of the Shannon,otherwise it's much if a muchness really.How many know or care about 1798 or come to Ireland for the beaches?
    They could stick a bit of a sign on the Castle though,I'm sure a lot of people are left guessing or if they're even supposed to go in.

I've noticed that at the Castle,people standing on the street looking bemused.

Another thing is that thanks to great management and conservation we have excellent fishing back on the Slaney but it seems to be poorly utilised.People pay big money to head to Kerry,Mayo etc. to fish yet once again a trick is being missed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is Eileen Gray's Brownswood house even open to public, respected across the world except for her native country I think?

And when was the last time Wexford included in a discover Ireland ad? Can't remember ever seeing one promoting the county

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is Eileen Gray's Brownswood house even open to public, respected across the world except for her native country I think?

And when was the last time Wexford included in a discover Ireland ad? Can't remember ever seeing one promoting the county

http://meanscoilgharman.com/ You can translate for yourself - it might as well be in Chinese as far as I'm concerned. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fork handles

On visiting Enniscorthy as a town I felt it very backwards. It was not very welcoming to outsiders or tourists. The people are very clannish and god forbid you're from a different ethnic background. Not the friendly Irish welcome at all. Love the melting pot of a big city not the dreary backwards town mentality of Enniscorthy. Shame it could be so lovely.

Does it matter? This sort of thing and Thomas Moores mothers house will not bring anybody here. It isn't exactly a Tayto Park, National Aquatic Centre, Fota Park, Kilmainham Gaol etc.

These are the major type of attractions the county needs and you then have the fringe locations for added interest. If you say 1798 to anybody outside of Wexford, very few would know or care

We have beautiful beaches, lovely scenery and some fine restaurants and hotels However, we need to provide the interests a modern tourist requires. The history and heritage will still be there for those that enjoy such things

It was but 1 example:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Navarre wrote: »
    Wexford has 1 of the most historic sites in Ireland's history " Vinegar Hill "

With due respect, that's a very parochial view. The '98 rebellion still echoes around the south east of Ireland but that's about it. Vinegar Hill may be an important historic site in Enniscorthy & Wexford but hardly very important in a national context..
    zerks wrote: »
    At least we might see some progress as Nevilles are planning to build a new hotel and top class links course at Curracloe to utilise a very underused resource.There's other parts of the country that would give the Lotto for our beaches yet we don't market them at all.

Lord help us, not another golf course - don't we have more than enough of them at this stage?? Golf courses, particularly in locations like Curracloe, usually are bad news for the ordinary public. Places where the public can freely enjoy suddenly become off limits.. and become restricted. :(

Personally, I don't think Wexford should be overly concerned with international tourism. There is a long established tradition in the region of attracting people from the greater metropolis of Dublin and this is probably it's greatest potential source of visitor revenue. This raises it's own problems and perhaps more thought should have been put into the planning process that has lead to the sprawl of holiday house developments along the coast. It's easy enough for people to arrive down for the weekend with all their shopping & beer from their local home supermarket, rather than supporting local businesses. There was something to be said for the mobile home and caravan/ camping parks that these tend to have replaced. I suspect more money may have come into the local economy via them..

Then's the UK weekend market - just a short hop across the Irish Sea..

The 'Wild Atlantic Way' buzz will come & go - it's a marketing exercise to promote what people have been doing for decades.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I contacted tourism groups across the South East last year to see if we could do something together (I have been promoting tourism in Tramore for a number of years now). Most didn't bother responding to my email and those who did weren't that interested or fobbed me off.

And how much was spent on Holmestown "State of the art landfill site" only for it to be closed down over a year ago !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

And how much was spent on Holmestown "State of the art landfill site" only for it to be closed down over a year ago !

Holmestown is closed?! Why?

The recycling facility is still there right?

And a Wexford landfill site thread too.

Had relatives staying in Enniscorthy last week,they ended up basing themselves elsewhere as "there was nothing of interest for the kids in the area".Sad but true.

Mod Note

I have moved all posts relating to Roads to a separate thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057268839

People can we keep this thread on topic relating to Tourism.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Rosslare was always known as the gateway to Europe for tourists travelling outwards , and for tourists travelling inwards , it seems to be the gateway to Kerry.

Every evening of the week between 7-8pm , I see many many UK / EU registered cars passing through New Ross quay , as fast as possible , and none ever seem to stop .

I see tourist buses , passing by as well , with tour guides , explaining the history of New Ross / JFK .
    Some buses do stop outside the Emigrant Flame / Dunbrody for few minutes to allow the tourist take some photographs , but the tourist centre / cafes here have been closed since 6pm .

Lucky Wexford has Dublin relatively close for most of it's tourists !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Personally I wouldn't like to see Wexford end up a tourist gouging region like Kerry is. I find many of the locals there often see tourists as milk cows & will try to fleece them at every opportunity, like charging folks to see an old ruined neolithic stone circle on their land, some of which are probably made more recently. I like that Wexford people are reserved & polite, instead of being the forelock tugging type. :pac:

However, the tourist traffic flows through the county every day (& the wider SE region) & should be seen as a potential economic benefit to the county if promoted better with further investment, possibly with access to EU funding.

The SE Ireland region could learn a lot from our neighbours in SW Wales, who promote their tourist attractions & local sites properly & attract more visitors in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Hi

As someone who's been coming to Wexford for the last 3 years on holidays I'd definitely agree it's really is being undervalued as a tourist destination.

I believe it's one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland. The beaches are spectacular and it's one of the most family friendly places we've even been! There's so much to see and do here I don't think we'll ever get bored of it.

On a selfish note, I'm glad it's not overrun or overpriced like parts of Co.Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I saw in the Wexford People on Tuesday that next year the south east will be marketed as the Gathering and Wild Atlantic Way have been for the last few years. 2 million passengers, with 800,000 vehicles pass through Rosslare Europort every year. While many may be truck drivers who won't be sight seeing, most will only see the bypasses being built. Wexford has a lot to be said for itself, the Blackstairs are great for hiking and I recall Pink, an American singer, visited Hook Lighthouse a while back. We need to milk this county for everything we have got, opening up OPW sights etc. I can guarantee you 95% of cars passing through Wexford won't even see a sign for Duncannon which is a beautiful neck of the woods. The Guinness Book of World Records was thought up in the North Slobs and Saving Private Ryan was a massive movie, still is, why not market it.
    Link for 2015 tourism programme: http://m.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/lifestyle/wexford-features-in-new-tourism-driving-route-30449921.html

• Advertisement

Advertisement