Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The largest ethnic cleansing in 60+ years in taking place today in Iraq

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Playboy wrote: »
    Why doesn't the shining beacon of democracy and justice in the region get involved? I'm sure the Israeli's would give ISIS a run for their money!

Because if they defeat them then they would want the land for themselves, spoils of war and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Playboy wrote: »
    Why doesn't the shining beacon of democracy and justice in the region get involved? I'm sure the Israeli's would give ISIS a run for their money!
    bumper234 wrote: »
    Because if they defeat them then they would want the land for themselves, spoils of war and all that.

There's already a thread, hell last count 5 threads dedicated to that kind of shît. Let's not make another one... Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Well the US and Britain have certainly created a fine mess, Hopefully the central Government will ally with the Kurds and stop ISIS in their tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Phonehead wrote: »
    Well the US and Britain have certainly created a fine mess, Hopefully the central Government will ally with the Kurds and stop ISIS in their tracks.
    I think they created the mess a long time ago and just like to stir the pot every few decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It's of no relevance to Ireland. The usual suspects will demand we take an influx of refugees. We probably will. The Mid East is stuck somewhere between the 10 the and the 16 th century. Let them sort it out themselves. The US tried to impose a western type of govt and see how that ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Islamic terrorists are rampaging through northern Iraq expelling, under threat of death, Christians who have been living there for nearly 2,000 years and Yazidis who have been there for perhaps 4,000 years!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28686998

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/almost-200-000-flee-iraqi-town-captured-by-islamic-state-1.1890132

What can/should Ireland do about it?
    Nothing. We have our own problems to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

It's of no relevance to Ireland. The usual suspects will demand we take an influx of refugees. We probably will.

Providing refuge to persecuted people is a good thing. You don't seem convinced though?

I think the problem would be better solved in-situ though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Providing refuge to persecuted people is a good thing. You don't seem convinced though?

It needs to be contextualised: our unemployment rate, emigration of our own 20s generation, national debt, being screwed over by EU on retrospective bank bailout, enabling ethnic cleansing by accepting displaced persons etc. it serves no useful purpose to Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I was at a demonstration last saturday held by assyrians and chaldeans raising awareness about their bretherns unfolding horrible fate,the motif of the day was (I Believe)the arabic letter "N" which is assigned to them identifying them as christians (nasrani/nazerene) in ISIS controlled tertitories-history repeating itself.

Very few White faces at the event,didn't see anyone recognizibly muslim there either,the people who care about things from those 2 communities seemed to be pre-occupied with the Pride parade and the gaza demos respictively that day. I Believe that such apathy to their cause will see them all driven from their ancestral homelands in my lifetime,unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Islamic terrorists are rampaging through northern Iraq expelling, under threat of death, Christians who have been living there for nearly 2,000 years and Yazidis who have been there for perhaps 4,000 years!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28686998

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/almost-200-000-flee-iraqi-town-captured-by-islamic-state-1.1890132

Boycott them?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

If there was a "brush it under the carpet" option we'd take that. As there isnt, we should stay well out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

h2005 wrote: »
    The average Iraqi must be delighted that the US freed them from tyranny.

Okay, fair point, but...why not lets blame the f@@kers who are actually doing this.
    It's always blame the Americans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Islam is one of the realist religions out there. One indivisible incomprehensible god makes more sense than the Christian concept of a trinity.

Oh Dear...your ghost is better than my ghost....

Is it time for a crusade? Who's with me? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In an offensive that has seen Isis strengthen their foothold near the Kurdish region, residents of Qaraqosh, Iraq's biggest Christian town, are now threatened with the demands the Sunni militants have made in other captured areas - leave, convert to Islam or face death.
    But ... but ... doesn't the Qu'ran state that there is no compulsion in religion? What could be going on, then? One answer lies in further reading of that bit. It turns out that the real meaning of "no compulsion in religion" goes something like this: "Islam is clearly & obviously the only correct religion, and if you don't get this you're an imbecile and your opinion doesn't matter, so we can do whatever we like with you". :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

There are safe countries that will provide them refuge closer to home. Why come here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It's of no relevance to Ireland. The usual suspects will demand we take an influx of refugees. We probably will. The Mid East is stuck somewhere between the 10 the and the 16 th century. Let them sort it out themselves. The US tried to impose a western type of govt and see how that ended.

Iraqi Christians would integrate in a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know, the UN and NATO seem to be all bark and no bite. At any rate, if NATO stepped in the locals might just see it as another invasion by the white west trying to take their culture off them. It's hard to know how they'd take it after so much violence, maybe they're desperate for any help.

Maybe they need to back a local and let him at it, even if he's not the nicest guy in the world at least if the region has stability they might be able to work from there. I don't think forcing democracy down their throats seems to be working.

The reason the biggest ethnic cleansing in recent history is happening is because of the US - not the West invading. Plenty of people argued that this was going to happen at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mad muffin wrote: »
    There's already a thread, hell last count 5 threads dedicated to that kind of shît. Let's not make another one... Ok?
    yet you were happy to post easily debunkable nonsense in those threads, truth hurts

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

next thing is these thugs will smash into israel

• Advertisement

It's of no relevance to Ireland.

so what? we can discuss it if we want, if you believe its of no relevance to ireland then why post?
    The usual suspects will demand we take an influx of refugees.

who are the "usual suspects" and so what if people believe we should take in people and help people who are in such a bad situation, after all many countries have taken us in and still do.
    We probably will.

good.
    The Mid East is stuck somewhere between the 10 the and the 16 th century.

so were we up until at least 24/34 years ago
    Let them sort it out themselves.

thats what may have to happen
    The US tried to impose a western type of govt and see how that ended.

badly, i agree with that, but it is about time western countries stopped being hypocritical and condemn all terrorism rather then those who aren't friends of the west, while leaving friends of the west behave with impunity like israel for example

yet you were happy to post easily debunkable nonsense in those threads, truth hurts

Right in the feels :(
    Rightwing wrote: »
    next thing is these thugs will smash into israel

That would be some battle royale

Nothing. We have our own problems to deal with
    yes, like how many cans are in the fridge, get a grip, our problems are trivial compared to these people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Things are going so well since that baddie Saddam got his come-uppence. I'd say he's having a giggle in his grave. Luckily, Libya is faring much better...no, wait....

Right in the feels :(

That would be some battle royale

Probably the only time ever I'd be for Israel in something.

It needs to be contextualised: our unemployment rate, emigration of our own 20s generation, national debt, being screwed over by EU on retrospective bank bailout, enabling ethnic cleansing by accepting displaced persons etc. it serves no useful purpose to Irish society.
    it doesn't have to, not everything has to have a purpose to society, those who are leaving will leave anyway, thats just how it is sadly

bnt wrote: »
    But ... but ... doesn't the Qu'ran state that there is no compulsion in religion? What could be going on, then? One answer lies in further reading of that bit. It turns out that the real meaning of "no compulsion in religion" goes something like this: "Islam is clearly & obviously the only correct religion, and if you don't get this you're an imbecile and your opinion doesn't matter, so we can do whatever we like with you". :mad:
    all religions are like that if you dig down hard enough

Rightwing wrote: »
    Probably the only time ever I'd be for Israel in something.

Ha.

There's a bit of Israel all around you. That messaging app you like to use. That computer you are on. That wifi you enjoy. That smartphone that you use. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

According to the HP and NYT, our military has already started to bomb ISIS.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

• Advertisement

Ha.

There's a bit of Israel all around you. That messaging app you like to use. That computer you are on. That wifi you enjoy. That smartphone that you use. :pac:

That's all American stuff, where it's made is irrelevant.

Advertisement