Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What show dipped the most in quality? What show started bad/just ok and got great?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

The shield is one of the most underrated shows ever. Its brilliant.

Yeah I got all of season one done in a day and I'm very impressed. Last thing I watched was the killing which Is good.

I always seem to be the last person I know to watch all the programs. Its great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Good to bad:

Alias
    First 2 seasons were superb. Went seriously downhill after that.

Homeland
    Should have ended after one season. Once they ran out of material to copy (the original Israeli show it's based on) they ran out of steam.

Modern Family
    Used to be excellent. Last season was ok at best. The two young lads used to be great, but only Phil Dunphy keeping it watchable now.

Game of Thrones
    Yep. First season was excellent, now it's just bogged down with way too many plotlines and characters. At this rate it'll be 2020 before there's any progress.

Bad to good:

Seinfeld
    Was never bad, but first 2 seasons were only mildly amusing before it really took off and became the greatest show of all time (imo). I started watching when BBC2 picked it up, around season 4 I think. Mightn't have persevered if I'd seen it from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Fringe went from an ok premise in the first season with X-files like monster of the week to being this fantastic arc

Babylon 5 was very episodic in the first couple of seasons to bloody fantastic for season 3 and 4 with 5 limping due to them having to wrap up a 5 season arc in 4 due to threatened cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Good to Bad- The Killing, Californication, Hell on Wheels. Prison Break? (gave up after s2)

Bad to Good- Justified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

For me Justified is the best example of a show that started off "alright", it was a straightforward case-of-the-week show with an overall plot arc that you'd get snippets of every so often. But then around three quarters of the way through the first season it's as if they suddenly realised how generic that format was and decided to focus on the overall plot instead. Ever since then it's been pretty much unmissable. Hideously under-watched too despite all the praise that gets heaped on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dr House Season 8 was not very well done compared to the rest (you could even argue Season 1 - Season 2 - 7, Season 8 had a steady decline)

Orange is the new black - Okish start to very strong by end of season 2 in my books

Futurama - First five seasons vs. the later once is a clear watershed in my books

Burn notice - Grew a heck of a lot over the seasons in my book

Top Gear - Clear case of decline over time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I found Sons of Anarchy got very dull after the first two seasons. I just couldn't care less what the biker group got up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Pre-empting obvious second reply.

What shows dipped the most in quality? The Simpsons!

Dipped? Total implosion more accurate.

tumblr_ml0p5gwEXm1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Haven't watched it in ages, then watched Treehouse of Horror 23 a couple of weeks ago to see what state it was in. For a Treehouse episode (a flagship episode in each season i think) it was utterly appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Pre-empting obvious second reply.

What shows dipped the most in quality? The Simpsons!

Oh dear god, yes. As a committed fan, I despair at the state the show currently finds itself in. I posted a big long diatribe about how bad it had gotten, so I'm not going to do the same here. Up until about season 10/11, The Simpsons was easily up there amongst the greats.

Other series that have dipped in quality as time wore on:

-Frasier

For me, the greatest comedy ever. It was just sublime at its peak. It did, however, decline in quality in the final few seasons, but not abysmally so. It still had its absolutely golden moments, but the latter seasons were not a patch on some of the earlier episodes.

-Futurama

Has, like The Simpsons completely lost its way. Once a golden, witty slice of TV heaven. Now bloated, and unfunny.

-Family Guy

As above.

-The X-Files

One of my all time favourites, but it really lost some of its magic towards the end. For sure, the disappearance of
    Agent Mulder
    from the series was a big thing, but it still had very decent moments in its final seasons. But it did not reach the heady heights of some of the other earlier seasons. Still an all-time great and it remains a brilliant piece of conspiracy thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The most obvious one is The Simpsons, I still remember seeing the very first episode broadcast on Sky and talking about it in school the next day.
    For years it was 6pm on a Sunday, can't talk, new Simpsons episode. Up until season 8 at least it never, well rarely put a foot wrong and was quite frankly tv at it's best, I still think it's the best American tv show ever when it was in it's prime and had people like Conan O'Brien writing for it. Season 9 is when the decline started and after season 10 the poor episodes started outnumbering the bad ones.
    It's such a shame to think there's probably more crap episodes than great ones now, I caught a new (well new to me since I havent watched it regularly in years) episode a few months ago and it didn't raise a single giggle out of me, the classic episodes are still hilarious.
    If you look up the episode lists on imdb.com look at season 4, it's possible the mostly consistently brilliant season of a tv show, there's not one single bad episode in it and even the flashback/clip show episode is hilarious (Bart shaking the beer can up and putting Homer in a coma).

Personally speaking it taught me so much over the years, American culturalisms, movie, tv and musical references. It has some deeply poignant moments and is a perfect snapshot of working class life in America with quotes that will forever for used. There's a Simpsons quote for everything, no really there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dymo wrote: »
    Heroes after season 1
    Beat me to it, first show that came to mind. :o

Conversely - Cougar Town started a bit haphazard but got better as it went on, even if it didn't get the eyeballs it needed. Ditto for New Girl which is becoming a fixture on the schedule.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Nip tuck started out really good. Controversial of its time but soon went downhill and just silly. Season 3 was awful then it picked back up for season 4/5 then the final season and finale was just rushed and just unbelievable that the two main characters of Christian and Sean wasn't the same characters anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Dexter was amazing at the start but rapidly went downhill after S04. Prison Break was another show with an amazing initial season then turned into sh1te of the highest calibre.

A show that is often overlooked is The 4400, in my opinion that was going from strength to strength before it was axed.

Heroes started quite well but got lost in itself. Lost was great but once it became popular they milked it dry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Good to bad:

Alias

This is actually the correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭squonk

Glenroe! Slow first season but ramped up with the Fidelma thing half way through and then the epic Biddy tractor crash in the last season! :)

Have to point to the Simpsons myself as the most Good to bad really.

Covert Affairs has to get a mention as an OK show early on. It was cutesy and interesting but we'd all have gotten very bored by now if they hadn't decided to retool the show as a hard core spy saga. It's unmissable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Friends. From good (episode like Bruce Willis as the strict Father) to definitely past it's best ( contriving the bejaysus in comedy out of the moms minding their pre toddler stage babies and the other Friends main characters’ reaction to the baby’s presence as singletons).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Have to agree with Friends. The decline started (although not necessarily because of) when Chandler and Monica got together.

The characters became parodies of themselves by the end.

Joey was a stupid/witty character to becoming borderline retarded. Not being able to replicate sound? A one year old can do that.

Pheobe should have been checked into a mental home by season 10. Collecting rats and keeping them in the same area where you keep food was a big give away that her bf should not have stayed with her and indeed should have called the authorities.

Monica became incredibly annoying by the end. Her "I know!" catchphrase wasn't ever funny.

The Simpsons has to be the best example

season 1-8 was the best then went downhill now just copies storylines from movies and uses celebrities to draw viewers.

Top Gear another good example, new seasons are very poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

For somebody who watched Top Gear in pre audience days, Top Gear with the live audience never has given that extra 'fuel injection'. Ok, so now the show has a studio audience to "contribute"......:confused::rolleyes:

Revenge. First season showed great potential but in truth it should have been wrapped up in season 2 without going off on a complete tangent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

squonk wrote: »
    ]Covert Affairs has to get a mention as an OK show early on. It was cutesy and interesting but we'd all have gotten very bored by now if they hadn't decided to retool the show as a hard core spy saga. It's unmissable now.
    I'm halfway through Season 3 and it's definitely taking a darker, grittier turn especially after the mid-way cliffhanger. I'm guessing this tone continues?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭squonk

gugleguy wrote: »
    For somebody who watched Top Gear in pre audience days, Top Gear with the live audience never has given that extra 'fuel injection'. Ok, so now the show has a studio audience to "contribute"......:confused::rolleyes:

I loved pre-audience/pre-revamp Top Gear. It was a dedicated car show. Boring maybe in the anorak sense but far higher quality. Watching the 3 Amigos shooting the breeze was never a step up in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

Shows that dipped in quality: The Simpsons being the most obvious one. And Family Guy too. There's talk of both shows doing some sort of crossover episode so both shows can officially jump the shark together, hand in hand. Most shows tend to downhill over time anyway.

Shows that started poor and got better: I'd say RTE's very own Love/Hate. The first series was poor. But by series 3, it improved and became somewhat decent (for a homegrown production). Series 4 was slightly dissapointing in comparison to 3. It could well go downhill again when the next series comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hannibal started off real slow. half way on season one was better
    Season 2 was just incredible from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Good to bad:

Alias

Homeland
    Should have ended after one season. Once they ran out of material to copy (the original Israeli show it's based on) they ran out of steam.

Modern Family
    Used to be excellent. Last season was ok at best. The two young lads used to be great, but only Phil Dunphy keeping it watchable now.

Game of Thrones
    Yep. First season was excellent, now it's just bogged down with way too many plotlines and characters. At this rate it'll be 2020 before there's any progress.

Bad to good:

Seinfeld
    Was never bad, but first 2 seasons were only mildly amusing before it really took off and became the greatest show of all time (imo). I started watching when BBC2 picked it up, around season 4 I think. Mightn't have persevered if I'd seen it from the very start.

Its going like the books and you will be glad to know it only will have 7 books. If he dies then the TV series will end it the way it should

+1 for The Simpsons, Friends, Scrubs and HIMYM for shows that declined.
    Another one I'd mention is Shameless - the first three series or so were great but it went on for far, far too long. When you have to constantly introduce new characters because your cast keep leaving, you should probably call it a day.

True Blood is a funny one - it started off kinda meh, got very good towards the end of Season One....and from then on it's been a very mixed bag. Have watched up as far as Season Four and there have been both storylines I've really enjoyed (
    Fellowship of the Sun, Bill becoming king, pretty much anything involving Pam
    ) and ones that are just dull and tedious (
    werepanthers, various shifter and werewolf tangents, the evil baby thing
    ). I wouldn't say the show dipped drastically but they definitely needed stricter quality control.
    NufcNavan wrote: »
    Have to agree with Friends. The decline started (although not necessarily because of) when Chandler and Monica got together.

The characters became parodies of themselves by the end.

Joey was a stupid/witty character to becoming borderline retarded. Not being able to replicate sound? A one year old can do that.

Pheobe should have been checked into a mental home by season 10. Collecting rats and keeping them in the same area where you keep food was a big give away that her bf should not have stayed with her and indeed should have called the authorities.

Monica became incredibly annoying by the end. Her "I know!" catchphrase wasn't ever funny.
    Agree with the above, though Ross is the one I'd have checked into a mental home. If they'd handled
    his breakdown (post-Emily)
    * with a bit more subtlety it could have been moving. Instead they just had Schwimmer over-act whenever possible and become as shrill and irritating as his on-screen sister had become.

My big problem with Phoebe is that she just became noticeably more bitchy and unpleasant as the seasons went on. She went from loveably kooky to just really self-involved and obnoxious. At least that's how I felt about her anyway.

Biggest problem with Chandler was that he played off the other characters for laughs. So when Monica, Ross, Joey and Phoebe all went downhill, his character suffered as a result. His transformation from socially awkward but intelligent to
    token incompetent husband
    * was overdone as well.

I think Rachel was the only character who actually progressed somewhat throughout the series and didn't just turn into a total parody of herself. Not sure how much of that is down to the writing and how much is down to Jennifer Aniston (a genuinely talented comic actress who sadly continues to appear in mostly shíte films).

*yeah I know spoilers are probably unnecessary - who the hell hasn't seen Friends? - but just in case... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Chuck - an ok start, then an excellent Series 2 and then it all fall apart from Series 3 and ended with a whimper in Series 5

The Bridge - a strong start to Series 1 let down by a weak ending, Series 2 was exceptional with a superb finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Star Trek: The Next Generation. Started out terribly with only a few decent episodes in season one. Season two was noticeably better but still a bit of a mixed bag. Season three to six were excellent. The quality in season seven slipped a lot as the writers were concentrating on the upcoming movie and Deep Space Nine/Voyager.

Today, I doubt if it would have survived cancellation past the first few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Person of Interest is one of those shows that really has rewarded those who stuck with it, fair enough it take about 40 odd episodes to get to the good stuff, but the first 40 episodes werent really that bad, its just the ones that came after have been so great,

Covert Affairs is another that still on air, the current season is barely related to the first season, season 1 was pure style over substance, and it has to given credit for doing a total 180 on that, like POI it has rewarded its loyal viewers,

Louie, not that it was ever bad, but its gone from an okish odd kind of show, to a real must watch show, its kind of a hard show to get into, but once your in your never leaving :)

Parks and Recreation, a show that has just gotten better as it went along, i watch season 1-5 last summer, i thought it was starting to get bad, but i think i just done the dog on it, i stopped after season 4 for a month or so to rest the brain, and as soon as i started it again i was back in fits of laughter :D:D

Star Trek Deep Space Nine
    , started out ok, but once it got to season 3, it just became essential viewing, i thought it took a bit long to get to know all the characters, mainly cause there were a lot of character to get to know, one just as interesting as the other, it was funny that sisko was probably the worst character in the whole show and he was the lead, but i must say when i re-watched it 2-3 years ago, it was just as great if not better cause i knew all the characters already,

Now for the bad

Heroes, my god did this show crash badly, even before season 1 ended the cracks were already appearing, i made myself watch season 2 and 3, but then i just couldnt take any more, and now for some reason im kind of optimistic about the reboot next year, a stand alone 12 episode could be a great idea, it just doesnt work when you have someone like
    peter and slyer who are so powerful
    in the show for a prolonged period of time, its always gonna descend into ludicrousness

Prison Break, season 1 and 2 were great, i think season 2 was better than 1 (i tend to be in the minority there) but season 3 when they
    went into sona
    it was just to much, i dunno was it because they were so narrow minded calling the show prison break that they found it necessary to keep
    throwing them in prison
    , but my god by the end it was just utter utter ridiculousness,

Dexter, now here is a show that just completely misjudged its audience, its all well and good making a show with the premise that they did, it was great, but i think they thought we loved dexter, but it was the fact that he was who he was and was just hiding there in plain sight, literally a wolf in sheep's clothing, that we loved the show, not him personally, and there are some characters that they just completely ruined along the way, i remember this and breaking bad finishing within a week of each other last year, just polar opposites, BB had a perfect end to a great show, and dexter had just a complete **** you crap ending, to what could have been a great final season,

How i Met Your Mother, just thank god that show finally ended, it was actually and okish season overall, better than the previous 2 seasons, but that final episode, my dear ****ing god, thank god its over,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

OK it got cancelled but I thought season 2 of Revolution was a massive improvement over season 1

Advertisement