Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to boycott Isaraeli products

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shot at the childen? I thought it was a shell? Did they have a visual of the children before sending the shell?

Shells are shot. There are two shells, the 2nd adjusted to hit the kids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/17/world/middleeast/visceral-accounts-of-gaza-attack-that-killed-4-boys.html?_r=0
    https://twitter.com/petersbeaumont/status/489422197543665664

There is video of the incident extant, though I'd advise avoiding the pictures of the aftermath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Nodin wrote: »
    That's the argument that was used to try and stop sanctions against Apartheid South Africa. Thankfully the world thought the better of it.

You realise that outside sanctions/boycotts, there is no real peaceful method of stopping the colonisation of the occupied territories?

Do you think it'd actually make any difference though? While I'm sure the world could happily boycott Sodastream, boycotting Intell just isn't going to happen.

And the Israeli's certainly don't seem to susceptible to any kind of public pressure.

Seems to me that if there is ever to be a solution to this I can't see it being a peaceful resolution, as much as that would be the preferred option.

Then again it's been a long time anybody accused me of being an optimist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

wes wrote: »
    What you don't know, seeing you deployed a variation of it yourself already. The Bin Laden defense, is when people invoke people voting for someone, as a justification of violence against civilians, like Osama did to justify the 9/11 attacks. There have been numerous variations on this deployed by supporters of Israel the last few days.

Funny how there are no references to the aforementioned phenomenon on the interwebs. It may not exist outside your own head.

And what point are you attempting to make anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

That's the argument that was used to try and stop sanctions against Apartheid South Africa. Thankfully the world thought the better of it.

You realise that outside sanctions/boycotts, there is no real peaceful method of stopping the colonisation of the occupied territories?
    I don't think what wexie is saying is unreasonable. Boycotting can have a negative effect on the people already being oppressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

People talk about the human shield thing as if Israel has never done that. The IDF has been reprimanded on several occasions for using Palestinian civilians as human shields throughout the Gaza War, so they can get down off their high horse about that. I doubt they care any more about Palestinian lives now as they did then.

That's not to say that Hamas are the good guys, but this idea that Israel's hands are clean and they somehow have some sort of moral high ground is total nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

That you are clueless?
    Multiple instances of aggressive personal abuse... IDF supporter by any chance?

wexie wrote: »
    Do you think it'd actually make any difference though? While I'm sure the world could happily boycott Sodastream, boycotting Intell just isn't going to happen.

And the Israeli's certainly don't seem to susceptible to any kind of public pressure.

Seems to me that if there is ever to be a solution to this I can't see it being a peaceful resolution, as much as that would be the preferred option.

Then again it's been a long time anybody accused me of being an optimist

O it would make a massive difference. They're actively terrified of it. The South African boycott started very small and ended up a huge movement and the pro-expansionist element piss themselves at the thought of ending up in the same boat.

And remember, when a place is under that kind of pressure, people within it not ordinarily bothered or motivated ask 'Why exactly are we on the end of this?'. The answers to that aren't pretty, and do not favour Israel.

Shells are shot. There are two shells, the 2nd adjusted to hit the kids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/17/world/middleeast/visceral-accounts-of-gaza-attack-that-killed-4-boys.html?_r=0
    https://twitter.com/petersbeaumont/status/489422197543665664

There is video of the incident extant, though I'd advise avoiding the pictures of the aftermath.

So you are saying they had a visual on the children?

Magaggie wrote: »
    I don't think what wexie is saying is unreasonable. Boycotting can have a negative effect on the people already being oppressed.

Compared to normalising the occupation and allowing business as usual, no, not really.

The low death toll on the Israeli side is down to them being better prepared (air raid warnings, bunkers, missile defence system etc) versus incompetence on the side of Hamas.
    Which are all thanks to the billions per year in freebies and tech gifted from the USA to Israel every year by the USA.
    A fact that IDF supporters everywhere, including you on this thread, prefer to pretend doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

So you are saying they had a visual on the children?

Course they did. Otherwise why did they only fire two shells, the 2nd adjusted?

As I said, they've targeted children before.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Multiple instances of aggressive personal abuse... IDF supporter by any chance?

Aggressive? That have me a good laugh.

Still think that's a cool username though. Pity it's wasted on you though.

Course they did. Otherwise why did they only fire two shells, the 2nd adjusted?

As I said, they've targeted children before.

So you know this for a fact or are you speculating?

So you know this for a fact or are you speculating?

Know what for a fact? That they killed children before or that they had them in sight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Funny how there are no references to the aforementioned phenomenon on the interwebs. It may not exist outside your own head.

The right apes Osama?! How an attack on Gazans went off the rails

First result on Google. I take it you didn't look that hard, or more likely at all.

Just heard the exact term today, but the logic is deployed regularly. We just have catchy name for it now is all.
    And what point are you attempting to make anyway?

I already made it. You do seem to have issue with reading and comprehension, as you seem unable to understand things, when there said to you, that or your being deliberately obtuse, to get a rise out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mightywarrior

This literally makes me ashamed to be Irish. This on top of the two fools trying to break into a US military transport plane. Lets boycott Israeli products because they're killing terrorists who would also kill us "infidels". What you don't understand is that hamas integrate themselves amongst the civilians. Fighting from hospitals, schools etc. And before the media arrives they pull all their gear out and Israel are the bad guys. Sure, they've killed hundreds of civilians but its a war. Millions died in WW2. They are protecting the sovereignty of their country. Don't you think if a foreign cell invaded Ireland the defence forces would do everything in their power to stop them right in their tracks.

Know what for a fact? That they killed children before or that they had them in sight?

You know exactly what I mean. Nice try at deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boycott Google, created by da joos.

wes wrote: »
    The right apes Osama?! How an attack on Gazans went off the rails

First result on Google. I take it you didn't look that hard, or more likely at all.

Just heard the exact term today, but the logic is deployed regularly. We just have catchy name for it now is all.

I already made it. You do seem to have issue with reading and comprehension, as you seem unable to understand things, when there said to you, that or your being deliberately obtuse, to get a rise out of people.

My search engine filters out left leaning propaganda.

Still don't see you point, please spell it out for me instead of your cryptic theories. Perhaps the obfuscation is to hide the fact you don't have one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Came on here to see what peoples opinions are on the complex situation at the moment. The standard of argument here is absolutely rubbish. I experienced more intelligent discourse at the Panto last Christmas.
    'Oh no you didn't'...'Oh Yes I did'...

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

Bing it.

biko wrote: »

Is that an attempt at humour, or just a deliberately ignorant post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

And remember, when a place is under that kind of pressure, people within it not ordinarily bothered or motivated ask 'Why exactly are we on the end of this?'. The answers to that aren't pretty, and do not favour Israel.

I don't know, while I certainly agree that it's likely to make regular people ask questions I'm not convinced consumers boycotting Israeli goods is likely to bear any serious economic pressure.

The Israeli's have a very strong presence in the high tech and defence industries, neither of which are going to be effected by this at all.

This literally makes me ashamed to be Irish.

Thats you choice.
    This on top of the two fools trying to break into a US military transport plane.

Oh it was an act of protest, and was a bit silly, but hardly that big of a deal.
    Lets boycott Israeli products because they're killing terrorists who would also kill us "infidels".

Israel are mostly murdering civilians, as opposed to killing terrorists.

Also, I take it you have proof of a planned Hamas attack on Ireland, seeing you claim there going to kill us "infidels".
    What you don't understand is that hamas integrate themselves amongst the civilians. Fighting from hospitals, schools etc. And before the media arrives they pull all their gear out and Israel are the bad guys.

No evidence has been provided by the people making that claim, and when it has been investigated by media outlets, no proof is found:

Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields

Also, if Hamas were forcing people to be Human Shields, then surely there would be witnesses crawling out of the wood work, to say as much, and any number of other means of evidence e.g. video etc, and yet there is none. Seems to me what your saying is a lie and nothing more.
    Sure, they've killed hundreds of civilians but its a war. Millions died in WW2.

So its war, and that make it all ok for one side to kill civilians. Nice hypocrisy right there.
    They are protecting the sovereignty of their country. Don't you think if a foreign cell invaded Ireland the defence forces would do everything in their power to stop them right in their tracks.

Well, if we decided to expand outside our borders, by invading France, and then let say putting a densely populated coastal region of France under siege, we would be the aggressors in that instance.

I take it you are aware of the fact that Israel is expanding outside it borders in the West Bank, so claims of defending the sovereignty is laughable to claim in light of that.

You know exactly what I mean. Nice try at deflection.

How am I deflecting? Specify what you want to know and I'll give you an answer.

wexie wrote: »
    I don't know, while I certainly agree that it's likely to make regular people ask questions I'm not convinced consumers boycotting Israeli goods is likely to bear any serious economic pressure. .

That's what they said in the beginning of the SA campaign.

My search engine filters out left leaning propaganda.

More likely you didn't actually search for anything or even looked at the link I posted.
    Still don't see you point, please spell it out for me instead of your cryptic theories. Perhaps the obfuscation is to hide the fact you don't have one?

I made my point in plain English already. Your inability to understand simple English is your problem and not mine, that or your being deliberately obtuse, looking to get a rise out of me, as you have repeatedly taken that tact with other posters several times already.

Why is it that you ignore something that has already been plainly communicated to you?

Careful now. You might get another debating masterpiece off him such as "your post sucks".

Did the Israeli military personnel that fired the shells that landed on the beach have real time visual on the beach and the children to the point where they were able to change the coordinates to directly target and hit the children?

• Advertisement

That's what they said in the beginning of the SA campaign.
    Well sorry if I continue with my Israel as US state theory, but Obama will just give them more cash to make up any shortfall. I don't believe it's possible to hurt Israel economically because of this fact. It's all a matter of how much Israel's sponsor, the USA is willing to put up with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement