Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal priest claims yoga is "putting souls in jeopardy"

Options
  • 10-07-2014 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Put a sexy women in yoga pants and I'd say my soul was in danger too

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This just highlights how silly religious beliefs really are. Catholics aren't supposed to question the words of wisdom from the hierarchy. So this priest's ramblings should be taken seriously by catholics. However, given that I've never met a catholic in Ireland who actually believes and follows most of the doctrines of their faith, they think its ok to mock this priest as being a bit weird. When in fact the really weird thing is following a faith you don't really agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

An exploratory expedition obviously needs to be organised to see what is going on in Donegal,they've been left on their own too long.

Not the worst thing a priest has uttered in fairness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pictures needed, I think, so we can understand the degree of risk which the priest is highlighting.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

robindch wrote: »
    Pictures needed, I think, so we can understand the degree of risk which the priest is highlighting.

meninyogapants_img12.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

Yoga is an eastern religious practice and is used in the worship of Shiva which according to Catholic teaching is a false god or else Satan masquerading as god to fool humanity.
    Naturally if you are a Roman Catholic you obey the commandment to worship Yahweh only (Catholics believe Yahweh is a three in one god - Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and God The Father).
    So if you practice yoga you are openly flouting the law of God.
    I am an atheist by the way but was raised a Catholic and studied Catholic theology when I was in college.
    The priest is 100% correct according to the rules of his religion.
    If you don't want to obey the priesthood and you don't want to obey the rules of the Catholic faith then don't be a Catholic anymore.
    I lost my faith and now I do not observe Catholic ceremonies or any other religious practice.
    If you are a Catholic you can't have your cake and eat it.
    If you don't obey the clergy and you don't really believe in Catholic teaching then leave the church set up your own and stop play acting.

The same goes for so-called Catholics who divorce, have abortions, have sex before marriage, use contraception, support gay marriage etc etc.

Stop being hypocrites and admit you don't believe in your religion and leave the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Surely one can be a loyal catholic and stretch one's limbs of an evening?

Valmont wrote: »

Not if you're doing religiousy stretches. You can stretch out like Himself did on the cross though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    Yoga is an eastern religious practice and is used in the worship of Shiva which according to Catholic teaching is a false god or else Satan masquerading as god to fool humanity.
    Naturally if you are a Roman Catholic you obey the commandment to worship Yahweh only (Catholics believe Yahweh is a three in one god - Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and God The Father).
    I am an atheist by the way but was raised a Catholic and studied Catholic theology when I was in college.
    If you don't want to obey the priesthood and you don't want to obey the rules of the Catholic faith then don't be a Catholic anymore.
    I lost my faith and now I do not observe Catholic ceremonies or any other religious practice.
    If you don't obey the clergy and you don't really believe in Catholic teaching then leave the church set up your own and stop play acting.

The same goes for so-called Catholics who divorce, have abortions, have sex before marriage, use contraception, support gay marriage etc etc.

Stop being hypocrites and admit you don't believe in your religion and leave the church.

Can you not confess your sins and seek forgiveness rather than abandon the whole thing for the sake of a few infractions.You can be trying as they say.

Granted it is a pick and mix effort even for the most devout.

Valmont wrote: »

Not if the stretching is a pagan religious practice.

Muslims would enraged if Catholics started using Allah to refer to God.
    Muslims do not believe in the same god as Christians and Jews. They believe in Allah. Jews do not recognize the Christian god or Allah. They do not mix their religious practices either.

Catholics do not believe that God is the same god worshiped by other non-Christian religions.

Also a Catholic does not recognize other Christian faiths. They believe there is ONE church and ONE path to salvation. Christians who do not follow the Catholic rite might as well be pagan savages.

I am an atheist but if you have ever bothered to read the Catechism Of the Catholic Church (the official rule book) you would know that yoga is beyond the pale for Catholics.

So if you do not believe in the rules then LEAVE.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

As a Donegal ex-pat, I do notice that no headline omits the fact that the priest is based in Donegal.

Can anyone confirm for me that the priest is in fact FROM Donegal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder does watching stargate put my soul in jeopardy?

i wonder does watching stargate put my soul in jeopardy?

Have you already put it in jeopardy by doing any of the following?

Sex before marriage.
    Thinking contraception, abortion rights and divorce is ok.
    Not believing in the resurrection.
    Not going to mass, confession and other holy days of obligation.
    Horsing into a steak on a Friday when that sort of thing was Frowned Upon.

If so, questionable TV viewing is the least of your worries.

kneemos wrote: »
    Can you not confess your sins and seek forgiveness rather than abandon the whole thing for the sake of a few infractions.You can be trying as they say.

You can't pick and choose.

Catholics are supposed to believe that they must follow all the rules or none at all.

For Catholics the clergy are the successors of the apostles and the Pope is the successor of St. Peter who was told that what he bound on earth is bound up in heaven.

There must be absolute obedience and absolute piety or else you are breaking God's commandments and doomed to hell.

I used to believe this but now I don't which is why I left the church.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Catholics are supposed to believe that they must follow all the rules or none at all.
    why don't the catholic church excommunicate all non-conformers so?

kneemos wrote: »

You can only receive forgiveness according to Catholic teaching if you sincerely repent and then devote yourself to obeying the rules of Catholicism.

If you go to confession and then break the rules again then forgiveness is withdrawn.

They can be formally excommunicated by a ceremony performed by the clergy but they also excommunicate themselves when they disobey God.

Ah now. What would be the point of alienating all the A La Carte parents who will use contraception or IVF or terminate a pregnancy and think gay marriage is grand and doesn't Fab Uncle Joe and his partner Gary deserve a Big Day Out the same as the rest of us and ask why does their awkward 'atheist:rolleyes::rolleyes::roll eyes:' sister not want to be a godparent isn't it just a Nice Day Out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

he is right up there with the pp who claimed that sex was only a muscular spasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The vast majority of Catholics would not have studied theology or gotten into it as deep as you appear to have done. Most of us realise that like all religions you are dealing with man made rules & regulations and take them with a grain of salt. A belief in God is a different matter and would not be affected by the words or actions of 'holy' men or women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

For Catholics the clergy are the successors of the apostles and the Pope is the successor of St. Peter who was told that what he bound on earth is bound up in heaven.

There must be absolute obedience and absolute piety or else you are breaking God's commandments and doomed to hell.

I used to believe this but now I don't which is why I left the church.

And therein lies the get-out clause for my hedonistic behavior in this life.

I'm RC, just not a very good one, so I sin, but that's for me to worry about the consequences, which are apparently a lot worse than being called out for my hypocrisy on an internet forum.

As for the priest in the OP, while my beliefs are batshìt crazy, there are different levels of stupid, and while you might think people should rigidly stick to dogma, that would make you no different to the priest that says one has to stick to the Catholic pilates (I learned that phrase in this forum too, Catholics are allowed have a sense of humor! :D).

Clearly your standards for Catholics differ from mine, but is that not the essence of tolerance - that you wouldn't tell me what to do, and I won't tell you what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

So if you do not believe in the rules then LEAVE.:D

You can't leave according to the rcc. They've set the rules up so they're the religious equivalent of the Hotel California.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

This all points to a gap in the market for secular yoga classes.

meninyogapants_img12.jpg
    I've seen enough - I'm with the priest on this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Are you seriously telling me that some young one is preaching Lord Shiva to whoever turns up to their yoga class of an evening? Because I'm fairly sure the yoga practised in the West has ditched this.........unless anyone would care to inform me otherwise?

(and no, I don't do yoga)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Some of them are done purely as exercise classes, some are more spiritual but i've yet to hear of any actual shiva worship being mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You would think a priest would encourage people to do something that is good for their mental and physical health. Yoga may have its origins in an alternate faith but who really does it with that in mind. I would imagine a lot of people don't even know their is a connection with religion. Anyway I'm not catholic so I don't care, I'll continue to do my yoga without fear. Namaste. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Next in breaking news: Catholic Church bans Thursdays

bluewolf wrote: »
    Next in breaking news: Catholic Church bans Thursdays
    Thursday? Named after the most awesome Norse god ever!

Wouldn't blame them for wanting to ban it.

• Advertisement

Russian Minister of Culture Vladimir Medina points out that Yoga isn't sufficiently "Russian" either and that Russian kids should study more Lezginka -- which isn't what you might think just looking at the first three letters, but actually a Cossack dance -- which isn't "Russian" either, but I suppose that doesn't count.

http://www.newsru.com/russia/04jul2014/battlelezginka.html

Mr Medina, btw, shot to international fame last year with his claim that Russians are superior to the rest of the world because they have an extra chromosome.

Advertisement