Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated GRO

Options
  • 23-06-2014 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

Some good news.

Irish Genealogy News

Claire Santry tweeted earlier the the updated GRO indexes should be available soon. With a launch date of July 3rd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We'll just have to wait and see what appears. I haven't received my invitation to the launch as yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

So how will this be better? What can we expect in terms of a search? I haven't really been following this. :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think they said a while ago that it would be an improved version of what's on familysearch with mothers' maiden names added retrospectively into the index back to 1903.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The GRO version should include the few sections missing from the FamilySearch version, also presumably a second go at the transcripts and and also hopefully provide a better district search. The FamilySearch version seems to get confused by searches involving districts that have the same name as a county - Cork, Wexford etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It should go newer than 1958 also.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    It should go newer than 1958 also.

Well, this database was not compiled from the Familysearch microfilms, it was done afresh, so there's no reason to cut it off then, but I suspect they might leave it at a very similar date. One could make the argument for having deaths up to a much later period but for ease, they'll probably pick one cut-off date. Most people born in 1958 are still alive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Well, this database was not compiled from the Familysearch microfilms, it was done afresh, so there's no reason to cut it off then, but I suspect they might leave it at a very similar date. One could make the argument for having deaths up to a much later period but for ease, they'll probably pick one cut-off date. Most people born in 1958 are still alive.

50 years rolling is a common cutoff date for genealogy access to DBs like this - ScotlandsPeople (which uses 100 for some, 50 for some etc) releases on 01/01 each year.

MYOB wrote: »
    50 years rolling is a common cutoff date for genealogy access to DBs like this - ScotlandsPeople (which uses 100 for some, 50 for some etc) releases on 01/01 each year.

Would that our crowd was as organised as that!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Would that our crowd was as organised as that!!

I wouldn't wish them to be so bloody dear though!

I don't see anything new on the site yet - they must be holding back for the official launch time. Usually these things are hanging around on the site already on the day and then they just make a fuss at a certain point.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I've had a look round their IP address range also, and nothing definite showing up yet, but there are a few IP address they own giving no access, or a default server page.

Maybe they are enjoying watching us standing around, hopping from foot to foot! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

They obviously have no idea how impatient I am!

Genealogy Forum Mod

I hope its worth the wait. I'm sure we all want to find something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

What web address will the updated index be on guys ?

desbrook wrote: »
    What web address will the updated index be on guys ?

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ (I think...!)

mod9maple wrote: »

Thought so ...Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

desbrook wrote: »
    Thought so ...Thanks :D

Anybody found it yet? I have been waiting for this for so long, really hoping it will open up some dead ends in my research!

...dead ends...

Good pun!:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hermy wrote: »
    Good pun!:D

Not to be taken literally of course!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Do we have the actual link to the site that is due to go live today ? Is it www.irishgenealogy.ie?

Ponster wrote: »
    Do we have the actual link to the site that is due to go live today ? Is it www.irishgenealogy.ie?

That's what I'm assuming though I don't know for absolute sure. Could they surprise us all and design a whole new webpage for GRO indexes alone? I doubt it; it's a case of wait and see.

Anyone know what time the media launch is at?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sorry. I hadn't spotted that others had asked the exact same question already today :)

There an error the page .... The Department of Arts , Heritage and the Gaeltacht is listed under "Useful" Links :D

Strange that it doesn't get a mention on the News and Updates page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It is on irishgenealogy.ie - still no idea of the timeframe.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PS4FORLOSERS

I would have imagined it would have been somewhere around Midday. Hopefully I can pull up some good information now

12.52 and not an ancestor in the tree washed !!

• Advertisement

Press conference is at 5:30. So don't get your hopes up, it could be tomorrow morning yet.

Advertisement