Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

It's on it's way! Light continuous rain here in North Sligo since very early morning.
    Sad to say, it's needed for same reasons you gave. Water too expensive for flowers any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

red sean wrote: »
    It's on it's way! Light continuous rain here in North Sligo since very early morning.
    Sad to say, it's needed for same reasons you gave. Water too expensive for flowers any more!

Wish it was, Dublin shield in place ! In fact hazy sunshine here now on and off.
    Looking good for rain later in the week, fingers crossed!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Milky sunshine here too in Arklow and 18.1c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dropping rain here for past hour or 2, not really wetting the ground tho. Hopefully the rain does not get any heavier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dry spell has ended pretty abruptly this afternoon. After 14 days with no rain...heavy rain now (rain rate of 10.2mm/hr)...6.4mm so far...now the wettest day of the month so far.

Must be an orographic element to the rain here as I see all the Dublin stations are reporting only very small rainfall amounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I know I harp on about Brays micro climate and the Wicklow/Dublin Mountain rain shield/Fohn generator and how the sea breeze held the last few days cloud/haze a few miles inland blah blah...but tbh I wish the rain shield would drop for a few hours today. Nothing apart from a few minutes worth of very light drizzle. The rain front seems to be pivoting around Bray. Gggrrr!! Would love a good downpour now and so would the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    anyone else look at the radar this morning and think what on earth is that? rain has returned to the island :(:( it was a nice 2 weeks there

We just had 2 weeks of rain fall here in west clare in the past 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Poppin Fresh

Only starting to rain here now just outside Cork City. Its been a while.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Dry spell has ended pretty abruptly this afternoon. After 14 days with no rain...heavy rain now (rain rate of 10.2mm/hr)...6.4mm so far...now the wettest day of the month so far.

Must be an orographic element to the rain here as I see all the Dublin stations are reporting only very small rainfall amounts?
    Bone dry in Arklow still,there's even a bit of sun still trying to poke out! Not for long by the looks of the radar north of here but the mtns should save us.Peaked at 21c here for a bit mid afternoon in a period of sunshine.
    If we get to midnight here without rain,can I call a drought? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

whitebriar wrote: »
    If we get to midnight here without rain,can I call a drought? :D

If...you may. :)

Rain stopped here. Ended up with 8.2mm. Grass happy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

We just had our first rain in 14 days here in Waterford City albeit just 0.3mm. Our station record of 18 dry days during last years heatwave holds.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

8.6 mm so far today in Galway city bringing our 10 day dry spell to an end
    5.6mm fell between 8-9pm with a max rate of 41.2 mm/hr

Still bone dry in Arklow,90 mins of dry to go before entering day 15 and definition drought.
    Lovely continental feeling outside with the ground tinder dry.

If...you may. :)

Rain stopped here. Ended up with 8.2mm. Grass happy!

2332 light rain.
    No official drought here so,by 28 mins.
    And its stopped.Not enough to register on the Davis,but rain nonetheless albeit useless.
    Tomorrows rain will be welcome if it reaches us.I have my doubts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

damp but mild after a wet day yesterday. Things look like they might settle down again next week with temps possibly hitting low 20s again. Not a heatwave by any means, just nice, warmish, settled conditions.

Well last nights 60 seconds of rain in Arklow wasnt enough to register any recorded rain on my Davis so I am declaring a drought here..
    An east wind has got up now in the milky sunshine blowing the dust around.
    Looks like the rain down south like yesterdays is going to slide away from us too.So bar an unlikely shower tomorrow,at least another week of no rain is probable in this parish.

Last nights min was 16.4c reminiscent of times last summer and very continental feeling.

Light useful rain since about 3pm. :)

raining lightly most of today also, so almost 2 days of damp, drizzely, cool muck. Hoping the weekend will be dryer and brighter. Tomorrow looks like we will see plenty of beefy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The ECM has gone a bit mad with it's temperature projections.

Recm1442.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Way out in FI lies another epic blocking high

ECM:

312869.gif

GFS:

312870.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

At 1227 today. Probably the last time we'll see the whole country like this for a few days.

312974.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Right under the large cloud mass west of Wicklow, really has been an awful position to be in for the good weather spells, especially with any hint of an E/NE wind. It's infuriating to look at the satellite the last while to see the whole country basking in the sunlight at time. Hopefully as afternoon goes on, cloud will burn off like it usually does, was expecting a stunning day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Possible foehn SW wind in Dublin tomorrow?

patneve2 wrote: »
    Possible foehn SW wind in Dublin tomorrow?

Yeah, looking forward to the forecast SW breeze today. :) Cloudy here now (in the foothills of the Dublin Mountains) but already 15.6c with a light SSW breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭leroythelegend

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask but can anyone advise on how bad the rain will be on Friday evening in Dublin? Supposed to be going to Marley Park for the Kings of Leon but the forecast doesnt look great. :mad: Should I prepare for the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not looking good Leroy, probably rain from mid-afternoon till after the show, light to moderate falls, much cooler than the last few days 14/15 dropping to 11/12 by darkness, stiff breeze coming generally from the right of the stage. Id suggest ponchos and wellies or waterproof hikers and a few good layers. The ground should stay reasonably intact as it has been so dry but might cut up as people exit.

You'll have to wait and see Leroy. Just be prepared.

I live opposite the Park (and have tickets for Friday's concert too). With rain forecast to come from the S/SW, sometimes, in this part of Dublin, we don't get even a drop (even though it may be raining elsewhere in Dublin) due the rain shadow effect of the Dublin Mountains...let's hope Friday is one of those days!

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not looking good Leroy, probably rain from mid-afternoon till after the show, light to moderate falls, much cooler than the last few days 14/15 dropping to 11/12 by darkness, stiff breeze coming generally from the right of the stage. Id suggest ponchos and wellies or waterproof hikers and a few good layers. The ground should stay reasonably intact as it has been so dry but might cut up as people exit.

Thanks for that...its just as I feared so. :mad:

You'll have to wait and see Leroy. Just be prepared.

I live opposite the Park (and have tickets for Friday's concert too). With rain forecast to come from the S/SW, sometimes, in this part of Dublin, we don't get even a drop (even though it may be raining elsewhere in Dublin) due the rain shadow effect of the Dublin Mountains...let's hope Friday is one of those days!

Cool... I'm off to google rain shadow effect and start praying. :D

• Advertisement

I'll let you know what the weather is like Friday evening! :pac:

Advertisement