Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking with car in gear??

Options
  • 14-06-2014 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi just wondering is it a good idea when parking your car and after putting the handbreak on to also put it in gear? Should your car move when it is in gear and the handbreak off. My car will move a bit, stop and move a bit again and so on by having it in gear alone (handbreak off) it doesn't actually stop the car the best way to describe it, it likes just bobbles along. Should by having it in gear alone stop the car from rolling. I'm asking this because what's the point in putting it in gear when handbreak is engaged if by having it in gear alone doesn't actually stop the car from rolling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd normally do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's intended to stop the car from rolling when on an incline (and it does a damn good job of it too).

My guess is you're not choosing the right gear for the circumstance. 1st if you're car nose up, reverse on nose down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Its just like being extra safe when you park up on a hill or something.

If you have a weak handbrake the car might roll with the handbrake alone so also having it in gear will just back it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Tracyk

It's intended to stop the car from rolling when on an incline (and it does a damn good job of it too).

My guess is you're not choosing the right gear for the circumstance. 1st if you're car nose up, reverse on nose down.
    Oh right just checking that it's not a problem with the gear then. This will happen if its not in a particular gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always park in 1st and never use handbrake (unless I'm parking on a steep hill).

• Advertisement

Just another quick question. When I stop in traffic on a hill and put my foot on the break and also pull up the handbreak fully until it stops and then take my foot off the break the car rolls a bit but then when I go to pull up the handbreak again with my foot off the break I can engage the handbreak another small bit (1 click) and the car stops rolling. Seem that when I engage the handbreak fully with my foot on the break the car will roll just very slowly once I take my foot off the break but by taking my foot off the break I then can get an extra bit (1 click) on the handbreak and the car stops. Why is this? It doesn't really bother me but I'm just wondering.

biko wrote: »
    I always park in 1st and never use handbrake (unless I'm parking on a steep hill).

Why? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Tracyk wrote: »
    Oh right just checking that it's not a problem with the gear then. This will happen if its not in a particular gear?
    Any of the forward gears will slow it rolling forwards (nose-down a hill), but first will slow it most, as greater gear revs per wheelroll = more resistance ('engine-braking'). Conversely, reverse will slow it rolling backwards if oriented 'nose-up'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

brembo26 wrote: »
    Why? :p

Prevents the brakes from sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do people still have drum brakes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, brakes doesn't stick and I don't have to start a thread in Motors every winter - "my car won't move after a cold night, why oh why" :D
    Each to their own I suppose but for me gear alone is fine. I never had a car roll on me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

On some cars the handbrake operates separate drum brakes.

Prevents the brakes from sticking.

Id understand that if the car was being parked up for a long period of time.

But if in regular daily use I couldn't imagine the brakes sticking.

Maybe I'm wrong...

Yeah, brakes doesn't stick and I don't have to start a thread in Motors every winter - "my car won't move after a cold night, why oh why" :D

Makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Back in my learning years, I was always told not to use the gearbox for parking as it can put undue pressure on bearings and shafts.
    Park using the "parking" brake, but it was ok to leave it in gear as a back up as long as there was no pressure on the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Each to their own I suppose but for me gear alone is fine. I never had a car roll on me yet.

I am same only use handbrake on a steep hill. Few years ago I had handbrake stick on me and since then just park in gear.

Lot of cars still have drums on rear and discs on front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Back in my learning years, I was always told not to use the gearbox for parking as it can put undue pressure on bearings and shafts.
    Park using the "parking" brake, but it was ok to leave it in gear as a back up as long as there was no pressure on the gearbox.

But it's ok to put 100 ft lbs of torque through the same bearings and shafts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

But it's ok to put 100 ft lbs of torque through the same bearings and shafts?

Just sayin' what I was told...

Getting back to this question :-)

Just another quick question. When I stop in traffic on a hill and put my foot on the break and also pull up the handbreak fully until it stops and then take my foot off the break the car rolls a bit but then when I go to pull up the handbreak again with my foot off the break I can engage the handbreak another small bit (1 click) and the car stops rolling. Seem that when I engage the handbreak fully with my foot on the break the car will roll just very slowly once I take my foot off the break but by taking my foot off the break I then can get an extra bit (1 click) on the handbreak and the car stops. Why is this? It doesn't really bother me but I'm just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Erm your handbrake isn't working properly. I think nct is 3clicks. Could be it just needs adjusting or it could be your calipers are worn.

• Advertisement

christy02 wrote: »
    Erm your handbrake isn't working properly. I think nct is 3clicks. Could be it just needs adjusting or it could be your calipers are worn.
    It not that much of an inconvenience or much of a problem but it's just there all the same and I've just bought the car of its main dealer. Do you think that warrants me to bring it back to get sorted cause it is under warranty anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

hope your car hasn't a dmf

one sure way to induce premature failure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I dont think thats really a good way to do it, puts pressure on the box, linkage etc.I always use handbrake first, and then gear.

Of course with my former lovely Saab, you could not take out the key unless it was in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I'd say that by using the foot brake, its expanding the shoes (if drums) a bit more than the handbrake is.So when you release the footbrake, it moves the shoes back more too, so the handbrake can put them on that little bit more.

my theory at least. .....................now goes to cover my head from all the stones that are going to be thrown at me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do people still have drum brakes?
    People - no.

Cars - yes.

:)

jimmyw wrote: »
    I'd say that by using the foot brake, its expanding the shoes (if drums) a bit more than the handbrake is.So when you release the footbrake, it moves the shoes back more too, so the handbrake can put them on that little bit more.

my theory at least. .....................now goes to cover my head from all the stones that are going to be thrown at me :D
    07 Kia Ceed 1.6 D CRDi
    Would it be an expensive fix? Car under warranty anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tightening the hand brake is not a warranty issue but if you only bought the car recently then ask the garage to tighten it otherwise any mechanic would be able to do it for you quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd normally do both.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I was taught to park in gear with handbrake.

My son, who is 30 years younger, was away and he needed his exotic to be started every day, so I did.
    He came back from his holidays and asked if I drove it, I had not, he started and the car lurched forward as I had left it in gear. He has TEN years driving experience.

He had never heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I was taught to park in gear with handbrake.

My son, who is 30 years younger, was away and he needed his exotic to be started every day, so I did.
    He came back from his holidays and asked if I drove it, I had not, he started and the car lurched forward as I had left it in gear. He has TEN years driving experience.

He had never heard of it.

Starting a car to have it leap forward is such a rookie thing to do.

I aways start the car with clutch depressed and also to relieve load on start up.

This has become as subconscious as moving the gear stick to ensure its in neutral at least

Advertisement