Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 24: Chilli!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No! I knew I would be, but I didn't think everyone else would enjoy it quite so much. Nice to be wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I also have a pot on the go, enough for ten chillis minimum. I added three scotch bonnet chillis and it's fierce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just to update, got the chipotles in adobo and they're great. I made Sparks' chilli recipe once but as I don't have time and frankly it's too expensive, I tweaked the BBC recipe to substitute fresh chillis for the red peppers and include the chipotles in adobo, nam pla and star anise and it's great, very smokey and almost fruity. It's cheaper, easier and quicker as I don't have a pressure cooker. For me it's a good compromise between the two recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I went out shopping for this recipe earlier and managed to get everything except for the chipotles in adobo. I was hoping to cook this tonight in the slow cooker but I realise the chipotles are a key ingredient and it wouldn't be the same without them. Fallon & Byrne are all out of them and it might be next week before they restock, is there anywhere else around Dublin that sells them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Muahahaha wrote: »
    . Fallon & Byrne are all out of them and it might be next week before they restock, is there anywhere else around Dublin that sells them ?

Think Aztec cafe on Dame St was mentioned before. They stock some authentic Mexican goodies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Saburrito in the Epicurean food hall should have rakes of of chipotles. The little Turkish supermarket across the road from it on Liffey Street has chipotles on occasion too

I finally got the chipotles in adobe sauce and did cooked this recipe in the slow cooker a few days ago. Wow what can I say but that it is all gone already ! It was delicious so I have to pay hommage to Sparks for the recipe.

This is defintely going to be a regular dish in my house so I'm looking to get the full capacity of the slow cooker used and double the stewing beef, unsmoked bacon and mince quantities so I have tons left over to freeze. Should I just doube every single ingredient in the recipe to achieve the same results or is there anything i should hold back on. Also I want to make the chilli slightly more smokey, am I correct to say it is the chipotles in adobe that contributes this? If so how hot are these chillis ? Like the recipe calls for a spoonful per batch of browned meat, if I were to double this would it increase the spiciness considerably? Oor does that tent to come more from the fresh chillis and New Mexico ones ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think most of the heat is from the fresh chilis, the chipotles in adobo add relatively little in terms of spiciness.

Glad you liked it Muahahaha. Like oB said, most of the heat's from the fresh chilli and the new mexico reds (and in my own version, the chilli powder because I've started making my own). The anchos are really mild and the chipotles even milder (they're just smoked jalapenos, which are the mildest chilli going, you could eat them raw without much pain). If you want to dial down the heat, cut back on the new mexico reds and the fresh chillis and add more adobo chillis to replace them (about the same quantities for the dried chillis and if you're swapping dried adobos for fresh chilli, use a bit more of the dried than you did of the fresh). And of course reverse that to dial up the heat. Personally I hit my limit when I get to the habaneros, but your milage may vary. Other than that, I'd keep all the ratios intact, but I wouldn't increase the batch sizes when browning and I'd watch the cooking times as well, you're going to need much longer when the quantities double, obviously. And that means that if you were cooking in an ordinary pot instead of a pressure cooker or a slow cooker, that you'd have to watch the liquid levels as you'd get more evaporation.

BTW, this stuff freezes wonderfully, because the freezing and thawing just tenderises the meat even more (you might need to add a little flour or masa harina to thicken it up when it's thawed and heated though, but check first, it might be fine). I've had bowls of this that had been frozen for three months and they were great.

And I have a pressure cooker full of the stuff at home for tea tonight too :D

Thanks Sparks, I'm even jealous that you've got some to go home to ! It is actually that good. I'm going to double double up on the chipotles as I love the smoky flavour. I was actually really impressed with the spiciness of your recipe, impressed in that I could serve that to my elderly mother and I know she would enjoy the kick without it getting uncomfortable for her. I reckon I can handle a little more heat and will try a few combinations over the next while. Thanks again for your help=)

• Advertisement

No worries Muahahaha, glad you liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Weird coincidence. I also got my hands on some chipotles in adobo sauce and made this in my new slow cooker at the weekend.

Last time I was in F&B, I bought some large dried chilies (can't remember what type) but couldn't find the chipotles. Subsequent chili, following the Sparks method, was a bit bland. I finally found some on mexgrocer.co.uk and ordered them, along with two bags of dried anchos which were on special offer. They really make a massive, massive difference to the flavour.

When making it in the slow cooker, I browned all the meat in a frying pan and added them to the slow cooker. I omitted the beef chunks for capacity reasons. Also, instead of removing the onion/garlic/ginger from the frying pan before deglazing, I just added the spices and most of the liquid ingredients and friend them together before adding to the slow cooker, and then poured the beer and beans on top. I completely underestimated how much liquid the beans absorbed and got an awful fright from the slow cooker making weird noises as it had completely dried out. Two added cups of water later and it was grand.

Two added cups of water later and it was grand.
    Tsk, tsk. ADD MOAR BEER!!! :D

Naw, water's grand, but a little bland. Beer is good (no, seriously, the alcohol dissolves some of the compounds that give the dish taste but which aren't water-soluble -- same idea as you get in tomato sauces that use white wine or vodka), beef stock is good too for top-ups (I wouldn't use beef stock at the beginning, because you're making your own beef stock in the chilli as it cooks, so why bother?).

Sparks - just a quick Q. I know it is probably like asking how long is a piece of string but would you have any ideas of how many calories are in this dish, say for a 250g serving ? I'm calorie counting at the moment, trying to lose a bit of weight. I'm just wondering would it considered to be average in calories like say about 400-500 for a 250g serving or would you see it as be above average ?

I'd also ask the same question for the pulled pork. I absolutely love that recipe but I was wondering if when you say that the collagen is being converted into gelatine by using the slow cooking method does that mean that the fat content is going to go way up ? Sorry I'm not 100% sure of the contents of geletin but just get the impression that it may not be the most healthy thing in the world ?

Er. Never actually measured it to be honest, but I know it's atkins-friendly as long as you leave out the beans/rice/tortillas and the like (it was a cornerstone of my diet last time I tried that, and Herself Indoors ate it quite a lot when dieting as well). I don't think it's be much above average for chilli; the main carbs would be from the beer and the flour in the gravy; there's not much in the onions or chillis or the meat and we don't use cans and cans of tomatoes or sweetcorn or beans so there's not as much carbs and sugar from the fruit in there. We might even be below average. To be honest, I think - but again, I've not tested it - that it'd be hard to get fat eating good chilli if you leave out all the toppings that people put on it (cheese, sour cream, jalapeno relish and so on) and the tortillas and rice they serve it with (and possibly the beans). Don't forget, it started off as poor people food -- it kept you alive, but you didn't see many fat poor people back then (that's a very very recent trend from the last few decades, when we turned creating food into an industrial practice).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sparks - just a quick Q. I know it is probably like asking how long is a piece of string but would you have any ideas of how many calories are in this dish, say for a 250g serving ? I'm calorie counting at the moment, trying to lose a bit of weight. I'm just wondering would it considered to be average in calories like say about 400-500 for a 250g serving or would you see it as be above average ?

I'd also ask the same question for the pulled pork. I absolutely love that recipe but I was wondering if when you say that the collagen is being converted into gelatine by using the slow cooking method does that mean that the fat content is going to go way up ? Sorry I'm not 100% sure of the contents of geletin but just get the impression that it may not be the most healthy thing in the world ?

Start using myfitnesspal.com - there's an area there when you can input a recipe exactly, and it'll calculate the nutritional value for you.

Faith wrote: »
    Start using myfitnesspal.com - there's an area there when you can input a recipe exactly, and it'll calculate the nutritional value for you.

Ah yeah I'm using MyFitnessPal, I find it great for counting calories eaten and burned through exercise. I didn't know you could input a recipe manually, I must give that a go so I can get an accurate reading, thanks :D

Thanks Sparks, yes I suppose what you say makes a lot of sense, if you leave out rice and tortillas then you take out a lot of the heavy carbs. I like chilli neat so it is fine for me to leave those out. I made about 1.5kg of the recipe over the weekend so I was asking as I want a go-to food while I'm trying to lose weight and this chilli now seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Any ideas on your pulled pork at all ? In some ways I think it could be average in calories bar the half bottle of BBQ sauce. But I'm wondering does the collagen to geletine conversion during slow cooking mean the fat content rises ?

I'd skip the pulled pork for a weight loss diet :D You just can't get round the BBQ sauce because every style of BBQ sauce has lots of sugar in it, and without the sauce, it's just not as nice as it could be (now, if you were cooking it in a real BBQ pit with the smoke, that might be different...)

I don't think the collagen to gelatin conversion does anything to the fat content; eat a pound of either and your body breaks it down to the same stuff (the conversion process doesn't add or remove elements to or from the compounds, just moves them about a bit). It's just that gelatin has a nicer mouth feel than collagen because it liquifies and coats all the muscle fibres.

ps. Don't eat a pound of either; a pound of gelatin is probably not good for you and a pound of collagen would make you swear off food for a month and probably clog your GI tract like a pound of hair in a shower drain...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was wondering if when you say that the collagen is being converted into gelatine by using the slow cooking method does that mean that the fat content is going to go way up ? Sorry I'm not 100% sure of the contents of geletin but just get the impression that it may not be the most healthy thing in the world ?
    Rest easy, and eat your pork and chilli.
    Firstly you can't increase the fat content by cooking method. Collagen is a protein, and its being converted to gelatin, another protein.
    That siad in terms of weight loss the fat content isn't really important, its the calorie value is. 400 cals is 400 cals. A small bit of variation in fat, carbs protein means nothing.

It should be pretty easy to plug all the ingredients into MFP and get the calories and/or servings. You could use leaner meat, less beans etc to reduce cals if you like, but remember the easily way to reduce cals is a smaller portion.
    I'd often rather 3/4 sized portion of full flavour, rather swapping in low fat/calories alternatives for a full sized portion with no flavour.

• Advertisement

/weeps at the thought of pulled pork without delicious BBQ sauce dripping over every morsel...

I have 2kg of pork shoulder to spare and was thinking of throwing it in to this. Do you reckon that cutting the shoulder into chunks and using it instead of the beef chunks would be a good idea?

Hm. If you have that much pork shoulder, I can think of a better use for it, but yes, you could use it in this recipe as well. I might brown it a little less, and most people will be expecting chilli to be a beef dish, but hey, it's poor people food, it's meant to be adapted to what's on hand...

That's the thing. I ordered a shoulder for the pulled pork and got a 4kg whopper, but my slow cooker can only fit about 2-2.5kg worth, which is where the spare 2kg of shoulder comes from. I could freeze it for another time, but really wanted to make chilli this week to freeze in batches. But if I freeze the 2kg worth of shoulder, I won't have room for the chilli in my freezer. First world problems, eh?

I'll give it a try and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Big thanks to Sparks for all of the information in this thread.
    I made this last night in the slow cooker and really enjoyed it today. So damn tasty, we loved it, I'll be cooking this for years, no doubt.

I made enough for 8 very generous meals (or 4 meals for 2). My notes for next time (might as well record them here):

- stick to Sparks recommendation on the amount of beer to add. I added ~700mls Utenos beer and I think it was too much although it certainly didn't ruin things. I'm not sure if this is the right or wrong type of beer to use but the rest of the bottles tasted great.

- Use the dried red chillies as recommended. I used dried chipotle meco medium hot smokey chillies. Wrong ones obviously. It may have been too much chipotle flavour, I'm not sure but I'll definitely try with red chillies next time.

- I noticed, tasting this when it had just finished cooking and then again an hour or two later, it will taste completely different. Much much nicer with time. You lot probably know all of this stuff already but I'm a bit of a newbie to making a decent effort in the kitchen.

- 9 hrs in the slow cooker a low was bang on.

- Was really nice with Jalepenos and Nachos and surprisingly filling.

I also bought dried Piquin chillies for some reason. Any ideas if I could add these in future and if not any other ideas? Cheers.

Thanks again Sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

:-)

I'll give it a try and report back.

It was a success. If anything, the shoulder chunks were even more tender than the beef chunks have been in the past, and I always used stewing beef. As I don't have a pressure cooker, I cooked this in my standard stock pot at low for about 5 hours

A year on and I'm still making large batches of this delicious chilli at least once a month, I just love it so thank you again Soarks👍

Went down to Fallon & Byrne yesterday to get a jar of the chillis in adobo and the New Mexican chilled but they had neither and it could be a few weeks before a delivery. Anyone know of an alternative source in Dublin ? Failing that anyone know any trusted online sellers ?

There's a mexican place up near the Dublin Castle end of Dame Street that was mentioned here a while back, you might take a search for that...

In other news, I tried making the recipe using an India Pale Ale. Results are quite good; but I would urge you not to lean over the pot of boiling IPA to switch on the extraction fan if you're planning on inhaling and remaining sober. Turn on fan; then dump half-litre of IPA into the pot... :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Sparks, found it here and will pick up a couple of jars later
    http://www.azteca.ie/cafeazteca.php?pg=products

Thank god as I just bought 1.8kg of meat and then couldn't find the secret sauce to go with it !

Advertisement