Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of LGBT bars/clubs/nights in Dublin

Options
  • 28-05-2014 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Having always thought I hated it, I've just started getting into the clubbing scene. But, all the lists I've seen online of LGBT nights are either very out-of-date or are not comprehensive. Could anyone please add to the well-known ones below?

Dragon
    George
    Front Lounge
    Pantibar

WAR
    C.U.N.T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

Mother
    Sunday Social/Bukkake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Is Glitz in Dandelion no longer on? Did WAR replace FAG in Andrew's Lane Theatre? Is it just me, or is there quite an attrition of LGBT clubs, or is that just the case with clubs in general? Did Wilde Bar only last for half a year, or so? Wow, loads of questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

qweerty wrote: »
    Is Glitz in Dandelion no longer on? Did WAR replace FAG in Andrew's Lane Theatre? Is it just me, or is there quite an attrition of LGBT clubs, or is that just the case with clubs in general? Did Wilde Bar only last for half a year, or so? Wow, loads of questions!

The bars last for a good while, with the exception of Wilde- to be honest, I don't think the LGBT community in Dublin is big enough to warrant 5 full time gay bars. You already had George, Dragon, Panti and Front Lounge. ANd they all have a schedule of event nights, in particular the George and Panti have something different on every night.

The once a week type events are fickle, and they move around because they're run by independent promoters and organisers.

GCN usually do a fairly comprehensive weekly/ monthly schedule in the magazine of what's on when and where. Being an old fart I have zero idea of what the promo nights are these days.

And actually, I'm fine with that. (She says twitching in her orthopedic shoes...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

They have GEAR Ireland on once a month but that's more for the leather crowd!

Not sure if Furry Glen still goes on.

I wouldn't be so much into the 'club night' type of things myself but think for what it is, there is a pretty good variety around Dublin for all crowds.

The bars last for a good while, with the exception of Wilde- to be honest, I don't think the LGBT community in Dublin is big enough to warrant 5 full time gay bars. You already had George, Dragon, Panti and Front Lounge. ANd they all have a schedule of event nights, in particular the George and Panti have something different on every night.

The once a week type events are fickle, and they move around because they're run by independent promoters and organisers.

GCN usually do a fairly comprehensive weekly/ monthly schedule in the magazine of what's on when and where. Being an old fart I have zero idea of what the promo nights are these days.

And actually, I'm fine with that. (She says twitching in her orthopedic shoes...)

Thanks for your response. I agree about the seeming unsustainability of 4+ clubs, especially considering so many 20-30 y/o's (clubbing demographic) have emigrated (iirc, a fifth has emigrated).

• Advertisement

Thanks for your response. I agree about the seeming unsustainability of 4+ clubs, especially considering so many 20-30 y/o's (clubbing demographic) have emigrated (iirc, a fifth has emigrated).

The below quote is from an Una Mullally article:

"...the number of twenty-somethings living in Ireland has fallen by almost a quarter since 2009. That’s 23.2% nationally (which translates as 176,200 people), and greater in Dublin, with a decline of 26.3%. Crazy, eh? How did this happen? Well 60,786 people in their twenties have emigrated in just four years, gutting a substantial part of our young population. But that’s just a third of the disappearing twenty-somethings. The main cause, as McCartney points out, has older roots: falling birth rates in the 1980s that we’re now feeling the impact of. From 2000 to 2009, our twenty-somethings population was quite substantial, and now, with a chunk of a younger generation of twenty-somethings emigrating, the babies of the early 80s, (like me, I was born in 1983) have reached, or are heading into their 30s. It’s probably worth noting as well that a large percentage of immigrants to Ireland – particularly those from Eastern Europe who came here to work in construction – who have returned to their home countries since the crash were also in the twenty-something to thirty-something demographic."

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

I don't think the LGBT community in Dublin is big enough to warrant 5 full time gay bars.

I don't agree, I think 5 full time bars with the same offering is unsustainable. Open up a 5th gay bar with DIFFERENT music/vibe and I reckon you could cater to those that are tired of kylie and beyonce.

Gay whelans anyone? :D

FAG is still around I believe, somewhere on eustace st?
    There is also eurphoria in the abbey hotel now and then.
    For the ladies there is crush in grand social every month.

greyed wrote: »
    I don't agree, I think 5 full time bars with the same offering is unsustainable. Open up a 5th gay bar with DIFFERENT music/vibe and I reckon you could cater to those that are tired of kylie and beyonce.

FAG is still around I believe, somewhere on eustace st?
    There is also eurphoria in the abbey hotel now and then.
    For the ladies there is crush in grand social every month.

Thanks for contributions. It's not that there wouldn't be demand for another type of gay bar, just that opening one might dilute the market too much, and cause one of The Quad to shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

What's the story with Nealon's?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

to be honest, I don't think the LGBT community in Dublin is big enough to warrant 5 full time gay bars.

Its probably large enough for 10 or 12, if the ones we had weren't as large as they are, licences were more easily available, late licences were cheaper, rates were lower, insurance was lower, etc, etc... there's provincial towns in the UK with 4; because the business environment is significantly better for them.

Copenhagen which is an extremely similar size (but does have Malmo across the bridge) has an entire street that's mostly gay venues but they're all about the size of my living room with the exception of their equivalent of The George - which is about the size of upstairs in The George.
    Aard wrote: »
    What's the story with Nealon's?

Its not a gay venue; its just been adopted by bears for certain events.

• Advertisement

4 da ladies: Crush on Fridays at The Grand Social.

Edit: erm...I'm not sure how regularly this is on. I read in one place that it's held on the third week of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gcn listings are crap. Well they are for non club things anyway. I think I looked recently and they still have some groups that fell apart 5 years ago.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

http://issuu.com/dublinpridefestival/docs/pride_guide_2014

There are a huge number of events going on during the week of Pride listed here, not too far away.

4 da ladies: Crush on Fridays at The Grand Social.

Edit: erm...I'm not sure how regularly this is on. I read in one place that it's held on the third week of every month.

Crush is on at present in Lafayette on O'Connell St. Normally the once a month on a Friday

Are WAR and C.U.N.T gay nights or clubs?

I don't think 5 dedicated gay bars would work. There's less of a reliance on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

On a side note, does WAR and C.U.N.T actually stand for something, or are they just "edgy" names designed to look cool and attract people because of their provocative names?

Or am I just being too cynical, as usual? :D

C U Next Tuesday, of course!

Daith wrote: »
    Crush is on at present in Lafayette on O'Connell St. Normally the once a month on a Friday.

Thanks for that. I read about Crush being held in the Grand Social in the current issue of Totally Dublin magazine. It's soo frustrating that so many sources are out-of-date. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

greyed wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. Aren't de ghays only into Kylie and Barbara Streisand? Apart from Bob Mould (Husker Du/Sugar).

Cydoniac wrote: »
    C U Next Tuesday, of course!
    Oh, I'm aware of that, but have they called it that for any other reason than to snigger to themselves at the fact that the name is extreme. It seems a silly name for a bar or event held at that bar in my opinion, and it seems it's sole intention was to go "hey, look, aren't we cool for using a swearword in our branding? please like us. PLEASE". :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Paddy C wrote: »
    Oh, I'm aware of that, but have they called it that for any other reason than to snigger to themselves at the fact that the name is extreme. It seems a silly name for a bar or event held at that bar in my opinion, and it seems it's sole intention was to go "hey, look, aren't we cool for using a swearword in our branding? please like us. PLEASE". :cool:

You're talking about it, right? Marketing job done.

• Advertisement

I live nowhere near it and have no intention of ever visiting.

Marketing job failed!

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. Aren't de ghays only into Kylie and Barbara Streisand? Apart from Bob Mould (Husker Du/Sugar).

There used to be a great night called RIP, Rock Indie Pop that would play Muse followed by Britney followed by The Stone Rose. Great stuff but died so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

MYOB wrote: »

I feel Nealons is pretty much a gay bar every Saturday night now. Yes, it caters for the bear crowd but a lot of other 30+ age guys (ie me) go there too. I like it as has a regular Dublin pub feel without the pzazz and OTT vibe that the other gay haunts tend to have and where you can hear yourself speak. The open fire in the winter is an added treat! The bar staff there are very friendly and courteous too.

It's amusing sometimes though, when the odd straight couple or group pop in and you see them looking around trying to put their finger on what's different about the place as the lack of more obviously looking, dressed or camp guys drinking there does not make people automatically cop on that it's a gay bar.

Regards enough outlets in Dublin? I think so. FL is practically empty except for Friday and Saturday. The main George doesn't even open until late anymore. There was a time back in the mid 00s that Dragon opened as a regular bar in the evenings. None of that is viable now so adding more venues would dilute the scene even further. Pantibar is the only bar flying ahead. It's happy hour until 8 every week night is a great pull and I've no doubt the Pantigate attention has helped draw some new punters in more recent times.

On the C.U.N.T. question: I'm not offended by the crude name, and it reinforces on which day it's held. Whereas before I would never have considered going clubbing on a Tues, I now very much intend to give it a try.

PS I think Google knows I'm gay (yikes). When I go to Maps, all the gay spots (including Boiler House) are shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

On the C.U.N.T. question: I'm not offended by the crude name, and it reinforces on which day it's held. Whereas before I would never have considered going clubbing on a Tues, I now very much intend to give it a try.

PS I think Google knows I'm gay (yikes). When I go to Maps, all the gay spots (including Boiler House) are shown.

Facebook is pretty confused about my sexuality. It offers me both men in uniform and slutty granny's!

floggg wrote: »
    Facebook is pretty confused about my sexuality. It offers me both men in uniform and slutty granny's!

Hmmm...very queer indeed.

So, a summary of what we've got:

The four permanent bars/clubs:

The George
    The Dragon
    Front Lounge, Parliament Street
    Panti Bar, Capel Street

C.U.N.T – The Lost Society, South William Street (Tuesday)
    WAR – Andrew's Lane Theatre (Friday)
    FAG – The Hub, Eustace Street (Friday)
    Mother – Copper Alley @ Arlington Hotel (Saturday)
    Sunday Social – 4 Dame Lane (Sunday!)
    TH (a crossdressing night) - Harcourt Street (previous poster suggested there was sensitivity with regard to its exact location, but a specific address can be seen on this page) (Fridays and Saturdays, and soon to be Wednesdays)

Crush ("girlclub") – Lafayette, Westmorland Street (third Friday of every month)
    GEAR (clothing fetish) – Fibbers, Parnell Street (third Saturday of every month)
    Bukkake – 4 Dame Lane (every Bank Holiday Sunday)
    Gemini (angry- crossdressing) - "close to O'Connell Street" (!) (check FB page for dates)

Bear in mind that this list is likely to be out-of-date quickly – because of "Nights" either ceasing or changing venue. It's also more than possible that I've made a mistake somewhere; all corrections/additions welcome.

Happy clubbing, y'all!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BethG

MYOB wrote: »

A friend of mine is on the bear scene. Long and short of it, they moved between a few venues (Life bar and McGrubers) till Panti opened up. They started to meet there but it ended up that they wanted Panti to more or less hand over every other Saturday night to them, provide bar extensions at short notices, finger food and the like. When they didn't get their way on this they bailed over to Nealons and that's their base for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BethG

The George
    The Dragon
    Panti Bar, Capel Street

Sunday Social – Grand Social, Lower Liffey Street (Sunday!)

Crush ("girlclub") – Lafayette, Westmorland Street (third Friday of every month)
    GEAR (clothing fetish) – Fibbers, Parnell Street (third Saturday of every month)

Bear in mind that this list is likely to be out-of-date quickly – because of "Nights" either ceasing or changing venue. It's also more than possible that I've made a mistake somewhere; all corrections/additions welcome.

Happy clubbing, y'all!

Add TH and Gemini to the list. Both are secure and discrete venues for the cross dresser/transvestite/admirer. TH is Friday and Saturdays and soon to be Wednesday's as well while Gemini is by appointment for dressing, every Friday for TV's only and some Saturdays. Neither a pub as such but they are options for nights out that may interest some.

• Advertisement

The George
    The Dragon
    Panti Bar, Capel Street

Sunday Social – Grand Social, Lower Liffey Street (Sunday!)

Happy clubbing, y'all!

Sunday Social is 4 Dame Lane.
    FAG doesn't exist anymore and there's a new one called sweat...

Advertisement