Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony KDL42W829B + 5 years Warranty + Free Bluetooth Sound Bar €700

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 5 year warranty is worth paying a little bit extra for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

So those who bought the 50",did you pay €930?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Delofan

Bought one last Saturday in the Sony shop, Letterkenny for €930. They had them in stock. Very impressed so far, even with the 3D upscaling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I tell you this much lads and ladies, as far as a store goes to please customers, the shop in Letterkenny is one of the best around. A gent by the name of Paul has taken my calls a few times - fantastic person.

So happy to be giving business to someone who wants and deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

superg wrote: »
    So those who bought the 50",did you pay €930?

Yes. Got the 50" + Soundbar + 5 year warranty for 930 Euro.
    Also got to enter the draw for the PS4 but no luck there.
    The 5 year warranty has to be applied for in a booklet to Sony and applies to TV only...not soundbar.

• Advertisement

The sceptic in me says the PS4 thing is a sham.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Bought one and won a PS4 :D

930 for a 2014 TV, 5 year warranty, sound bar and PS4. Bargain of the year. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

FutureGuy wrote: »

930 for a 2014 TV, 5 year warranty, sound bar and PS4. Bargain of the year. Thanks OP.

where did you finally buy it? what shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Dermoth wrote: »
    The 5 year warranty has to be applied for in a booklet to Sony and applies to TV only...not soundbar.

so even if i were to buy it in currys i could still get the 5 year warranty?? i asked the dedicate sony sales person in currys and she said there was no 5 year warranty on them. From a few things i asked her i doubt her knowledge on her products...

The sceptic in me says the PS4 thing is a sham.
    FutureGuy wrote: »

Maybe not then:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Doesn't look like any more Sound Bars left for 1 cent :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Davexirl wrote: »
    Doesn't look like any more Sound Bars left for 1 cent :mad:
    eh? where are you referring to?

I emailed Sony about the 5 year warranty as some retailers havent mentioned it and here is the reply i got:
    Dear <Scruff>,
    All Sony 2014 TVs are eligible for an extended warranty, you can always get your extended warranties after you have registered it online.
    Best regards,

Actually me thinks this only means you can buy an extended warranty from Sony...

On Sony's website the soundbars are now €124,its the bluray player they have dropped to 1 cent instead. Power city online still showing it as coming with a free soundbar. Its not €930 with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Scruff wrote: »
    eh? where are you referring to?

I emailed Sony about the 5 year warranty as some retailers havent mentioned it and here is the reply i got:

Actually me thinks this only means you can buy an extended warranty from Sony...

On Sony.ie but as previous poster has said, look like Blu Ray Player is only 1cent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Soundbars showing as 1 cent on the Sony site for me? :confused:

Even the free bluray player is no longer offered when I check Sony.ie now.

http://www.sony.ie/buy/w800b-series?sku=KDL50W829BBU

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Even the free bluray player is no longer offered when I check Sony.ie now.

Soundbar with the 42".

Ah right,it's the 50 I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

Can anyone find any official reviews for the 42" model? I gather the panel differs from the 50" as it's passive rather than active 3D...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

cjlawlor wrote: »
    Can anyone find any official reviews for the 42" model? I gather the panel differs from the 50" as it's passive rather than active 3D...
    Just buy a 50, you won't regret it, but I am sorry didn't plummet for 55 :(

• Advertisement

Bought a 50" last week. Great set and features. One problem is that when trying to record from a usb hard drive it fails, indicating that the drive is full even though only 1% has been used. Has anyone else experienced this issue? My firmware is up to date, did a factory reset as suggested by customer support but problem persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Bought the black 50" last week from Powercity, delighted with it. Powercity did not price match, but given our higher VAT rates it's still a better price than the UK & Sony Luxembourg with the soundbar offer. Did not win the PS4.

AFAIK, the TV cannot use SSD or flash based drives for recording, it needs an HDD with a single partition, and the recorded files are not readable on a computer, possibly because of a custom file system. Also, DRM'ed & scrambled satellite content cannot be recorded.

I'll be getting a drive for exclusive use by the TV, and will post back after trying the USB recording.

Did you have to update your TV's firmware? Mine was already at the latest version out of the box.

Delofan wrote: »
    Bought a 50" last week. Great set and features. One problem is that when trying to record from a usb hard drive it fails, indicating that the drive is full even though only 1% has been used. Has anyone else experienced this issue? My firmware is up to date, did a factory reset as suggested by customer support but problem persists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

There's some confusion about this - the online Sony shop listed the 829 at 800Hz & the 815 at 600Hz & an EU wide retailer MediaMarkt lists the 829 at 800Hz & the 815 at 400Hz.

829:

http://tiendas.mediamarkt.es/p/tv-led-50-sony-bravia-kdl-50w829-smart-tv-3d-mhl-1230472

815:
    http://www.sony.ie/buy/w800b-series?sku=KDL50W815BSU

http://tiendas.mediamarkt.es/p/tv-led-50-sony-bravia-kdl50w815-negro-smart-tv-wifi-3d-activo-1224848

The comparison table on Sony's site lists both models as 600Hz, but that table has a number of inaccuracies (the 50W829B is not 42").

The MotionFlow XR may be printed on the box, I'll have to check.

The set tuned in 1000's of satellite TV & radio channels, I did see BBC & ITV, but I haven't yet got around to seeing what HD channels were tuned.

I'd like to buy a CI access card to see Nat Geo, History, Discovery etc in HD and get rid of my cable provider. Who sells these cards in Ireland?

Is there any difference at all between the 50" 829 and the 815 ?? Are both of these TV's 800Mhz refresh rate? Do they use the same LCD panel?

Also, can I cancel my Sky TV sub and simply plug the satellite dish directly into the TV to get all the UK HD channels.

Thanks in advance.

Bought the black 50" last week from Powercity, delighted with it. Powercity did not price match, but given our higher VAT rates it's still a better price than the UK & Sony Luxembourg with the soundbar offer. Did not win the PS4.

AFAIK, the TV cannot use SSD or flash based drives for recording, it needs an HDD with a single partition, and the recorded files are not readable on a computer, possibly because of a custom file system. Also, DRM'ed & scrambled satellite content cannot be recorded.

I'll be getting a drive for exclusive use by the TV, and will post back after trying the USB recording.

Did you have to update your TV's firmware? Mine was already at the latest version out of the box.

My TV's firmware updated when I was setting it up for the first time and now has the latest version installed.

I'm using a 500gb Toshiba usb drive which you have to register first in the settings. It gets formatted and can only be used in the Sony TV. After recording a few items I was unable to play them back as I was getting a message "There are no items to display" When I tried to record another program I got a message to say the disk is full even though only 1% was used.

I found a sort of workaround which is to switch off the tv, unplug it from the mains (don't just switch the main socket off) leave it unplugged for a minute and when you switch back on the tv there is a 50/50 chance that the recordings will show up.

I can confirm that you can receive all the above channels plus hundreds more by just plugging your Sky dish in. I also have an aerial and here in Donegal I receive Saorview and Freeview channels also.

One point to note is that the guide works well with saroview and freeview where all the station listings are refreshed but not with freesat where the listings come up one at a time..

MotionFlow is a picture interpolation technology to reduce blurring on moving objects. This means it creates and inserts more pictures than the original video actually has to make for a smoother transition on fast moving objects.

Software tricks aside, according to this discussion on avforums, there is a link between the Motion Flow frequency and the underlying panel ("Motionflow is 4x panel native rate.") This would mean that MotionFlow XR 800Hz indicates the TV has a 200Hz panel, but I haven't found any other source to verify this.

Yes, I just plugged in the satellite directly into the TV before powering it up for the first time & it tuned the channels during setup process. As Delofan mentioned, it tunes in FreeSat channels from different countries & languages & it's going to be a painstaking process to find & sort out the ones we need.

This is confusing alright. The salesman in Harvey Norman told me yesterday that the 815 was definitely 800Hz ... but the likn to the HN website seems to contradict this ??? They have it listed at 400Hz (I cant post a link as a "new" user).

/edit/ the Powercity website have the 829 listed at 400Hz (again, I cant post the link as a new user). /edit/

This is all very confusing???

I'm assuming 800Hz is better than 400Hz btw .. is this correct?

Can anyone who actually bought the 815 confirm please?

Did you just plug your Sky dish into the back of the TV to get the 1000's of channels?

Can anyone confirm the TV can receive BBCHD, C4 HD and ITV HD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

you might want to redo the setup but specify UK instead of ireland.
    the W8 is supposed to have the UK freesat bouquets built in

Advertisement