Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shatter resigns

Options
  • 07-05-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Breaking news that Alan Shatter has resigned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Looks like the head has finally rolled: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/minister-for-justice-alan-shatter-resigns-1.1786901

May have gone in advance of the Guerin report, but presumably the existing load is already heavy on his plate. Kenny accepts "with regret".

RTE: http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0507/615716-alan-shatter-mick-wallace/
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny told the Dáil this afternoon Mr Shatter had resigned following receipt of the report of Seán Guerin into allegations made by Sergeant Maurice McCabe.

It is critical of a number of agencies including the Department of Justice.

The minister has taken responsibility for this and is stepping down.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume he will continue with his appeal against the ruling by the Data Protection Commission?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Wonder who'll get his job. I assume someone like Varadkar will get bumped up to Justice and a junior minister then given his job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Will he bring Kenny down with him?

Very embarrassing for a legal professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Veradker . The minister that covers everyone else's portfolio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is he gone from the Defence portfolio as well I wonder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wonder if he will resign as a TD? He is not someone who wants to languish away on the backbenches exclusively doing constituency reps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I wonder if he will resign as a TD? He is not someone who wants to languish away on the backbenches exclusively doing constituency reps.

I suspect he will be back as a Ministerial position in some future government tbh, assuming FG were to get back into power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Sully wrote: »
    I suspect he will be back as a Ministerial position in some future government tbh, assuming FG were to get back into power.

I sincerely hope he's not. He was a disgrace of a Minister with other Ministers in history resigning over alot less that the controversies he blatantly steel necked through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is he gone from the Defence portfolio as well I wonder?

yes he is the one Minister with one portfolio covering 2 departments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Wonder who'll get his job. I assume someone like Varadkar will get bumped up to Justice and a junior minister then given his job?

No one else in cabinet has a legal background. Varadkar would be the obvious choice of the current ministers as he's probably the most popular minister in the public eye but his support of Bruton in 2010 may keep him away from one of the top ministerial positions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wouldn't be too sure, the Guerin report will be explosive. I think it will become clear that Shatter was left with little other option but to resign. It is not something you can come back from too easily.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Actually, yes, I'd forgotten about his role in the heave. That could well work against him.

I suppose Hogan fits the "law 'n' order" bill. He can hardly be any more polarising that Shatter proved to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gene Parmesan

Anyone fancy Gilmore to take it?

miju wrote: »
    I sincerely hope he's not. He was a disgrace of a Minister with other Ministers in history resigning over alot less that the controversies he blatantly steel necked through.

Wouldn't go that far. I don't mind the Wallace case as much. It's a bit rich for Wallace to demand he resign for breaking the law when Wallace himself broke far more serious laws.
    I wouldn't be too sure, the Guerin report will be explosive. I think it will become clear that Shatter was left with little other option but to resign. It is not something you can come back from too easily.

Well, maybe so. I think his major downfall was the whistle-blower fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

The Guerin and other reports will be explosive re Institutional Garda corruption and mismanagement. If the government is serious about really reforming this most dysfunctional of state agencies, then there is only one person for the job, and that is Varadker.
    With Philly "the enforcer" Hogan about to board the EU Commission gravy train he is ruled out anyway and there is nobody else of ability and stature to take on the job, so it has to be Varadker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Although I agree his position was untenable and while I'd disagree with many of his reforms, he was intellectually one of the most suited to hold the position of Minister of Justice. Pity his hubris caused him to stumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Struggling to remember the last time a Minister was forced to resign in disgrace (as opposed to the Noel Dempsey-type resignations of the last govt) ... Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

About time too, took Kenny long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How he hung on for this long I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Dragged kicking and screaming in the end. An arrogant man who held on for as long as he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think he held on as long as possible because the plan was always to reshuffle a year or so out from the general election. After the Locals and Euros, when the govt gets a beating, retire the old faces (Shatter, Hogan and Noonan) and roll out the new faces to promise us good times, tax cuts and a spending spree.

But he had to go early...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Breaking news that Alan Shatter has resigned.

DELIGHTED!!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to shout....I'm just really happy :-)

It occurs to me, James Reilly must be sitting over in his department feeling fairly worried......after all, if Ministers in Ireland are losing their jobs over doing inappropriate things......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah I presume Phil Hogan is off to Europe....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    About time too, took Kenny long enough

I don't believe Enda Kenny sacked him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah I presume Phil Hogan is off to Europe....

AND LEO AND SIMON. ENDA AND PHIL ARE STAYING

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Apparently Shatter has had the Guerin report for a few days at least. Answered questions on defence in the Dail hours before resigning. All very sudden, Guerin report out on Friday will be interesting.

Gilmore hasn't seen report, left out of the loop once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,084 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How he hung on for this long I'll never know.

1. he's as stubborn as they come.

2. Kenny owed him it after, along with Hogan, helping him through the heave on his leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It's a bit rich for Wallace to demand he resign for breaking the law when Wallace himself broke far more serious laws.

Same here, found it hard watching Wallace yesterday evening on the news pontificating about law breaking, considering what he did, himself.

Shatter was totally wrong to do what he did, and I've no love for him, but when I saw Wallace's blonde curls appearing again this evening on the news, I quickly switched off the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Paddy Power has Charlie Flanagan at 5/6 favourite. Frances Fitzgerald is 15/8. Varadkar is 3/1 and Coveney is 9/1.

Advertisement