Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal to reform Leaving Cert grading

Options
  • 21-04-2014 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

An "expert steering group" has proposed that the fourteen-band A1-NG scale be replaced with an eight-band 1-8 scale, commencing in 2017. 1 will be awarded for a score of 90-100%, 2 for a score of 80-89%, and so on. Grades at each level (Higher and Ordinary) will be distinguishable by being twinned with the letter H or O e.g. H1, O4.

My brief thoughts: it should be seen as a reduction from an eleven-band scale to a six-band scale, rather than fourteen to eight, as anything less than a pass doesn't achieve points (and one presumes that will remain the same). As the distribution isn't linear, the present situation is that, for HL English, ~4% of the cohort scores 90%+, and ~12% scores 40-50%. So, under the new scale, ~80% of the cohort would be differentiated using only four bands. I think that could cause problems.

Leaving Cert grades face radical change under plan | Irish Times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Would definately agree this could cause problems. Most students score low b's and c's, even high d's. We're talking about condensing roughly 4 different grades into 2. I don't think its fair for an exam such as the leaving cert. There's a big difference between scraping 50 or getting 59, narrowly nissing 60.

Also how would this effect CAO points. Either the average will go up or down, depending how they decide to award then to new grades. If the points for a new proposed H2 is 90, as is currently for an A1 , then points for courses are going up, some of which are already very high. If points were 85 instead, your narrowing the pool for those applying for the likes of medicine, vetinary and dentistry where every point matters. They would be putting a huge gulf between the 600/625 students and those doing a brilliant LC but not attaining top grades in everything.

I seriously question the logic of whoever decided this could be an option. I mean, why fix what's not broken. I've heard people complaining about the fairness of the leaving cert, the pressure, 6/7 subjects, rote learning, having to wait a full year to repeat etc. Never once have I heard "the exam is fine, we just newd to change the grade borders and rename the grades " -_- The government will be the bigger fools of they decide to implement this. A big waste of time and effort, in my opinion, when they could be doing something useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Would definately agree this could cause problems. Most students score low b's and c's, even high d's. We're talking about condensing roughly 4 different grades into 2. I don't think its fair for an exam such as the leaving cert. There's a big difference between scraping 50 or getting 59, narrowly nissing 60.

Also how would this effect CAO points. Either the average will go up or down, depending how they decide to award then to new grades. If the points for a new proposed H2 is 90, as is currently for an A1 , then points for courses are going up, some of which are already very high. If points were 85 instead, your narrowing the pool for those applying for the likes of medicine, vetinary and dentistry where every point matters. They would be putting a huge gulf between the 600/625 students and those doing a brilliant LC but not attaining top grades in everything.

I seriously question the logic of whoever decided this could be an option. I mean, why fix what's not broken. I've heard people complaining about the fairness of the leaving cert, the pressure, 6/7 subjects, rote learning, having to wait a full year to repeat etc. Never once have I heard "the exam is fine, we just newd to change the grade borders and rename the grades " -_- The government will be the bigger fools of they decide to implement this. A big waste of time and effort, in my opinion, when they could be doing something useful.

Completely agree, but we've come to expect this from Ruardhí and his band of goons - sure look at the debacle they've created over the new "improved" Junior Cert. They're focusing in on the minutiae of the system rather than tackling the glaring problems (the excruciating pressure, too broad a spectrum of subjects to juggle, the woeful compulsory nature of Irish, et. al) Let's just be thankful it won't affect us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I suggest that people consider that a working group of "stake holders" would have considered this at length. Describing them as "goons" and those who implement their proposals as "fools" without having read the report is brainless, IMO.

It's possible (even likely) that the points structure will change - because, if H1=100 points, H2=90 points, etc, then H6 (ie 40-49%)=50 points, meaning the penalty for failing to Pass reaches ludicrous proportions. Yes, the points-average would go up in the debut year, but a once-off rebalancing of the average wouldn't matter. It's even possible that the points system could be done away with. Other than that the average would go up, I don't think it's possible to derive from publically-available points-data what the effect of the change would be on overall scores.

It should be recognised that the Irish fourteen-band scale is unusual when compared internationally. In England/Wales/NI, where only three subjects are usually counted (therefore, making each grade twice as significant), A*, A, and B usually accounts for the top 65%+; the IB-Diploma has a scale of 1-7.

I do have similar concerns to the ones voiced about each grade covering double the percentage, and a small number of students every year would inevitably be outscored by others with a lower cumulative percentage. However, the proposed LC-grading structure must be seen in the context of the coming changes to the university admissions system - that system is certainly broken, and LC-grading forms part of that. There will be two main reforms: a) substantial reduction in number of courses: it's not yet clear what the intention is, but there is a possibility that, rather than applying to English or Physics, students would apply Arts/Humanities or Science - were that to occur, fluctuation in points would almost cease; and, b) an admissions system that considers multiple criteria, rather than just points - in light of that, whether one got an H3 or an H4 in one subject becomes much less important.

SChique00 wrote: »
    Completely agree, but we've come to expect this from Ruardhí and his band of goons - sure look at the debacle they've created over the new "improved" Junior Cert. They're focusing in on the minutiae of the system rather than tackling the glaring problems (the excruciating pressure, too broad a spectrum of subjects to juggle, the woeful compulsory nature of Irish, et. al) Let's just be thankful it won't affect us.

Above is a rather dim post. First, Ruari Quinn wasn't a member of the group that proposed this (which included representatives of the universities), secondly, JC-reform is hardly focusing on the "minutiae", and thirdly this proposal is part of the plans to reduce exam-pressure/rote-learning/etc! What the poster says about "too broad a spectrum of subjects" isn't a belief shared by most (though, as it happens, I'm probably one of them!).

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

This seems similar to the way the grading scheme is in Germany.
    So first sign Germany is taking over the place, whoop.

Ompala wrote: »
    This seems similar to the way the grading scheme is in Germany.
    So first sign Germany is taking over the place, whoop.

According to Wikipedia, Germany's Abitur has a 15-point scale. Therefore, we're leaving it behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

According to Wikipedia, Germany's Abitur has a 15-point scale. Therefore, we're leaving it behind.

Was that pun on purpose or ? :D
    And yeah, I never paid that much attention in german class, just remember something about 1 2 etc in grades

Ompala wrote: »
    Was that pun on purpose or ? :D
    And yeah, I never paid that much attention in german class, just remember something about 1 2 etc in grades

No it wasn't! But, I would contend that a pun, by definition, must be intentional. Therefore, t'was not a pun! :p

This is the Independent's article on the proposal: New Leaving grades bid to take heat from points race (woefully-worded headline, I think we can agree!).

Some of the comments below the line are beyond laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Would this sort of system mean that more college places will end up being given up by random selection? Because a lot more people would be getting the same points?

Xgracie wrote: »
    Would this sort of system mean that more college places will end up being given up by random selection? Because a lot more people would be getting the same points?

Under the current admissions system, yes!

• Advertisement

These are two Opinion pieces from the papers: Helping schools to reclaim their purpose | Irish Times and It's not perfect, but this grading scale is a huge improvement on old system | Irish Independent.

Edit: this is the report following a consultation with teachers concerning "Grading and Marking Practices", published in November, 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

So would u say this new grade system is better than the current one or could be worse.

So would u say this new grade system is better than the current one or could be worse.

I don't think it's possible to say until we know what the admissions process to third-level will be. Also, there may be unintended consequences - remember that the current grade-scale was introduced to try to correct a negative consequence of the scale that the LC will now revert to. I think, on balance, it's probable better, but that a fairer way than the lottery should be used for selecting students with the same score (especially if the number of such situations increases).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Apparently the current system was brought in because their was too much random selection.

Random selection is so unfair IMO.

Let's hope that by 2017 they'll be doing interview/portfolios anyways, so there might not be random selection, rather minimum grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Apparently the current system was brought in because their was too much random selection.

Let's hope that by 2017 they'll be doing interview/portfolios anyways, so there might not be random selection, rather minimum grades.

Random selection is unfair if you miss out, but is the fairest way when all other things are equal. One thing our points system has going for it is anonymity and equality among students applying for courses. When Ireland is such a small country and everyone knows everyone, it's great to think that a student can apply for a course in a college and not have their application judged on what school they went to or where they are from or who their family are or if they are a county footballer etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In the dark ages when I did the Leaving the max you could get was 25 points iirc

I got 21 and was going for commerce in UCD and it was agony waiting to hear.

Regardless of the scoring that will still prevail.

Stheno wrote: »
    In the dark ages when I did the Leaving the max you could get was 25 points iirc

I got 21 and was going for commerce in UCD and it was agony waiting to hear.

Regardless of the scoring that will still prevail.

Back when you had to buy the paper and check the never ending lists of exam numbers to see if you had an offer???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

"Oh, hey..this grading system works fine - let's give it a complete overhaul!"

I don't even know why they are changing it or the reasoning behind it. As was said before, why not tackle some more serious problems like the stress and pressure it places on students? How it is completely orientated on rote learning and doesn't really test intelligence? How we have to wait a year to repeat the exam? I don't even know what they're doing there....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"Oh, hey..this grading system works fine - let's give it a complete overhaul!"

I don't even know why they are changing it or the reasoning behind it. As was said before, why not tackle some more serious problems like the stress and pressure it places on students? How it is completely orientated on rote learning and doesn't really test intelligence? How we have to wait a year to repeat the exam? I don't even know what they're doing there....

Let's get class sizes down and give every child the chance to do any subject they want at a level appropriate to them, without having to be in the same room as people taking the subject at a higher or lower level than them.

Or wait...let's have a survey on uniforms.

Some posters seem oblivious to the fact that this came to the Media's attention because of an interim report published by a "steering group" whose task is to propose measures to improve the transition from second level to third level.

Key Directions Update

The alteration to the grading scale was not announced with fanfare, and just happens to be the particular "Key Direction" (there are three that the group is assessing) that Media outlets have chosen to highlight, and something which has been known about for months. When proposals are finally made, none need be implemented (though, they probably will be).

When the DE is attempting to reform the JC (whether you agree with it or not) and third level admissions, it can't be accused of not being radical.

• Advertisement

Some posters seem oblivious to the fact that this came to the Media's attention because of an interim report published by a "steering group" whose task is to propose measures to improve the transition from second level to third level.

Key Directions Update

The alteration to the grading scale was not announced with fanfare, and just happens to be the particular "Key Direction" (there are three that the group is assessing) that Media outlets have chosen to highlight, and something which has been known about for months. When proposals are finally made, none need be implemented (though, they probably will be).

When the DE is attempting to reform the JC (whether you agree with it or not) and third level admissions, it can't be accused of not being radical.

If you speak to any teacher you'll find that their definition of 'radical' in this context means copying the failures of the UK education system.

If this new grading system and the new junior cert is implemented, I guarantee that in about 20 years we will be bemoaning the failure that it is and returning to the system we currently have, unless the UK have in the meantime developed a new system for us to copy, but they are returning to a system which will increase the means of assessment by terminal exam rather than internally assessed coursework, so they are looking to implement what we currently have and we are looking to implement (at junior cert level currently) what they are abandoning.

There are many dissimilarities between the GCSE and the proposed JCSA. The objective here is to reduce the importance of the junior-cyle exams, and to introduce other means of assessment which are to the benefit of children's educations; the GCSE has retained its importance (universities consider applicants results), yet had its examining rigour compromised.

There are many dissimilarities between the GCSE and the proposed JCSA. The objective here is to reduce the importance of the junior-cyle exams, and to introduce other means of assessment which are to the benefit of children's educations; the GCSE has retained its importance (universities consider applicants results), yet had its examining rigour compromised.

Other means of assessment, e.g. portfolio of work, fine in theory

No standardisation of work because schools are responsible for setting and grading their own exams - not good. No external monitoring of work examined is also a disaster

Totally agree with the whole interview/portfolio thing! So unfair that someone who might drop out after a year and isn't 100% could get a spot over someone who really wants it and know it's for them (IMO)

Totally agree with the whole interview/portfolio thing! So unfair that someone who might drop out after a year and isn't 100% could get a spot over someone who really wants it and know it's for them (IMO)

People applying for courses usually think they want it too and only discover they don't when they start the course. Portfolios/Interviews/Practical examination already exist in Music/Art/Drama courses. I imagine that despite the effort involved putting together a portfolio or completing a practical assessment that there are still drop outs from these courses too.

No standardisation of work because schools are responsible for setting and grading their own exams - not good. No external monitoring of work examined is also a disaster

Initially, at least, exams will be set by an external body.

There would be flaws (as with any system), but that wouldn't be one of them. Having portfolios would likely reduce the occurrence of that - i.e. someone who went to the effort of producing a portfolio is more likely to be suited than one who got one of their last CAO choices.

People applying for courses usually think they want it too and only discover they don't when they start the course. Portfolios/Interviews/Practical examination already exist in Music/Art/Drama courses. I imagine that despite the effort involved putting together a portfolio or completing a practical assessment that there are still drop outs from these courses too.

Ah yeah I guess! Don't know what the best way of doing it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Personally the Irish education system is a mess compared to other First World countries, I think most of you people will agree. In countries like Italy and Germany, students are encouraged and get to chose their academic path (languages, science, sports etc) very early on, although I don't know how the selection works, maybe there is an exam to decide who goes to which type of school (language, sport school etc)? I don't know, but when I tell my international friends about our education system and how the leaving cert works, they feel sorry for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

I honestly don't understand how people see this as being a good move. If it goes through, so many people will be stuck in the same points, which would be particularly disastrous for high points courses such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy etc.
    I genuinely think that points system is one of the fairest in the world, there's no biasm involved, and the students who work the hardest earn their places. This new proposal would totally compromise these values, and a lot of 3rd level places would be based on random selection. Why fix something that's not broken?

• Advertisement

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand how people see this as being a good move. If it goes through, so many people will be stuck in the same points, which would be particularly disastrous for high points courses such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy etc.

The admissions process is being reformed.

I genuinely think that points system is one of the fairest in the world, there's no biasm involved, and the students who work the hardest earn their places.

Private schools significantly outperform the national average. Is that simply because their students are the hardest working? US and UK universities take in to account the social circumstances of applicants. By attempting to avoid all bias, our system fails those who outperformed their circumstances.

*I am aware of the HEAR scheme, but it's incredibly crude.

Advertisement